Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,214 members, 7,815,242 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:30 AM

Investment Banking Advise - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Investment Banking Advise (1962 Views)

Building A Career In Investment Banking: Please Advice / Investment Banking, Mergers And Acquisition, Raising Capital / European Union And Nigerian Job Hunters: Investment Banking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Investment Banking Advise by kunlexdino: 5:32pm On Jun 01, 2012
Hi guy. Am new at niraland and i found the threads on being an investment banker advising. Pls i need an advise. I want to be an investment banker but i have shortcomings with my studies. I graduated with pass in hnd, without any work experience on finance related job and am 31 yrs. But am in level 2 of cis, hoping to register for cfa next yr. But i really want to work in an investment bank. With all my challenges, how can you advise me in fulfilling my ambition.
Re: Investment Banking Advise by tanimola22: 6:26pm On Jun 01, 2012
kunlexdino: Hi guy. Am new at niraland and i found the threads on being an investment banker advising. Pls i need an advise. I want to be an investment banker but i have shortcomings with my studies. I graduated with pass in hnd, without any work experience on finance related job and am 31 yrs. But am in level 2 of cis, hoping to register for cfa next yr. But i really want to work in an investment bank. With all my challenges, how can you advise me in fulfilling my ambition.

Those investment banks are overly selective. This is the truth, but this is not to say that your CIS or CFA will not pave a way for you O O..I am just letting you know that you will compete fiercely with 25 years old people who have CFA, CIS, ACCA and ICAN plus Master's degrees in all areas of finance and economics and banking you can think about plus relevant internship experience plus let me don't continue. If you succeed in the competition plus you have the favor of Baba, then you may just be on your way to becoming an investment banker. Shebi I read the profile of one naija ibanker at one naija ibank. I can't remember the ibank again, but the guy started out with an HND..So there is hope, ikpin.

Before the investment banking professionals in the house respond to you, would you be kind to let us know the country you wish to kick start your investment banking career? I don't want to assume naija because you have simply not stated so.

Thanks,
T22.
Re: Investment Banking Advise by Sammy107d(m): 7:07pm On Jun 01, 2012
Wow IB is one of the most competitive fields to break into. My roommate graduated with me last year in a well ranked university. He was one of two first class students in his banking and finance class. Young boy. It's been a year and he's a level 2 CFA candidate with a masters from the London School of Economics. Now, we talk regularly and all we do is lament about how difficult it is to break into the sector, especially in the City where he is, and even here in Africa. You'll find it extrememly difficult outside Nigeria. Down here though, everything is possible, but your case is peculiar because of the age factor. You'll be in the market with people like Ola (the mba vs msc guy up in this forum), and maybe even me smiley. Of course, you can always beat the competition here with enough determination, knowledge (CFA), experience and connections. Note that the CFA will take at least 3 years. My advice will be to enter into a firm that offers a bouquet of services, including IB. How you'll do that is what I don't know, and you'll need the more experienced guys here to spell out your chances. Work your way into any department. In time, you can find yourself having coffee with the overpaid, suicidal IB boys. Difficult, but possible. Cheers
Re: Investment Banking Advise by nitrogen(m): 7:17pm On Jun 01, 2012
Sammy107_d: Wow IB is one of the most competitive fields to break into. My roommate graduated with me last year in a well ranked university. He was one of two first class students in his banking and finance class. Young boy. It's been a year and he's a level 2 CFA candidate with a masters from the London School of Economics. Now, we talk regularly and all we do is lament about how difficult it is to break into the sector, especially in the City where he is, and even here in Africa. You'll find it extrememly difficult outside Nigeria. Down here though, everything is possible, but your case is peculiar because of the age factor. You'll be in the market with people like Ola (the mba vs msc guy up in this forum), and maybe even me smiley. Of course, you can always beat the competition here with enough determination, knowledge (CFA), experience and connections. Note that the CFA will take at least 3 years. My advice will be to enter into a firm that offers a bouquet of services, including IB. How you'll do that is what I don't know, and you'll need the more experienced guys here to spell out your chances. Work your way into any department. In time, you can find yourself having coffee with the overpaid, suicidal IB boys. Difficult, but possible. Cheers
Lol at the bolded
Re: Investment Banking Advise by tanimola22: 7:45pm On Jun 01, 2012
Sammy107_d: Wow IB is one of the most competitive fields to break into. My roommate graduated with me last year in a well ranked university. He was one of two first class students in his banking and finance class. Young boy. It's been a year and he's a level 2 CFA candidate with a masters from the London School of Economics. Now, we talk regularly and all we do is lament about how difficult it is to break into the sector, especially in the City where he is, and even here in Africa. You'll find it extrememly difficult outside Nigeria. Down here though, everything is possible, but your case is peculiar because of the age factor. You'll be in the market with people like Ola (the mba vs msc guy up in this forum), and maybe even me smiley. Of course, you can always beat the competition here with enough determination, knowledge (CFA), experience and connections. Note that the CFA will take at least 3 years. My advice will be to enter into a firm that offers a bouquet of services, including IB. How you'll do that is what I don't know, and you'll need the more experienced guys here to spell out your chances. Work your way into any department. In time, you can find yourself having coffee with the overpaid, suicidal IB boys. Difficult, but possible. Cheers

You just corroborated what I have always said. The world has become so competitive. There is also one very young dude on this forum, can't remember his name now because it's been long we communicated. O'level, some few points away from straight A1; BSc accounting, UK; ACCA holder; CFA level 3; age <24. Na the same entry level the guy is looking for.

I still admit that who will be favored will be favored, but the competition out there is fierce..We should not shy away from that.

T22.
Re: Investment Banking Advise by deenee: 2:36pm On Jun 02, 2012
@ poster, I will not give you a "politically correct" answer that will lead you on some grandiose illusion. I will advise you to forget about the idea. This doesn't imply that I am trying to discourage you from pursuing your dreams. If you insist on this 'route' despite the prevailing circumstances you have included in your post then by all means, please continue along this path. "Impossible is nothing" and I have personally removed the word "impossible" from my dictionary. If you decide to stay on course, what I would suggest is an accelerated 3 year plan for you as outlined below.

Continue with the CIS, register for ACCA i.e the dual programm with Oxford Brookes Uni in the UK where you also get a BSc Accounting in addition to your ACCA qualification. Try to pass at least level one of the CFA exam within this three year time line and this might possibly increase your chances slightly. I have suggested this for you because your grade at the HND level is a "setback" bearing in mind the fact that the industry is highly competitive and recruitment has slowed down. Besides, age is not in your favour. This route will be a capital intensive option and take a lot of your time but hey remember that "Impossible is nothing"!

Secondly, why not consider an alternative route because I want to believe that the ultimate goal in mind is to be wealthy and successful, however, we might define it. It is not compulsory that you must go down the 'IB route' if you wan to achieve "wealth or success" I will stop at this point and allow you to do some soul searching!

P. S try and do some reading on the concept of "Herd Mentality"

2 Likes

Re: Investment Banking Advise by slimming: 12:50pm On Jun 08, 2012
You can start as Stock broker then move up.
Re: Investment Banking Advise by tanimola22: 3:06pm On Jun 08, 2012
slimming: You can start as Stock broker then move up.

Hi,

How can he start as a stockbroker?

T22

(1) (Reply)

Shl Material Needed / Why Every Engineering Professional/student (civil) Must Use Staad Pro / Pharmacy Or MBBS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.