Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,901 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:55 PM

Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? (5314 Views)

Policeman Tries To Stop A Moving Tanker By Climbing In Through The Window / Nairalanders To Be Careful Of This 2016: Waveskaaya, Lamideee and Moz22 / 5 Nairalanders To Be Ban (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by PrettyCindy(f): 8:19am On Jun 02, 2012
As i have rightly observed, nairaland have a very large community/members. Is there a way we can have a page or something where we can be our real selves? Real name, true complete profile with pictures?

I will like to have friends here (both sexes) but its difficult because you don't know which man/woman that is married ( one has to be careful you know) or single, you don't know who is a teenager or who is matured.

Mr Seun am sure you get what am trying to say. While its fun doing the anonymous thing, lets have a page or update your profile to include marital status and age group pls.

Does anyone support this?

1 Like

Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jun 02, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by EfemenaXY: 1:06pm On Jun 02, 2012
PrettyCindy: As i have rightly observed, nairaland have a very large community/members. Is there a way we can have a page or something where we can be our real selves? Real name, true complete profile with pictures?

I will like to have friends here (both sexes) but its difficult because you don't know which man/woman that is married ( one has to be careful you know) or single, you don't know who is a teenager or who is matured.

Mr Seun am sure you get what am trying to say. While its fun doing the anonymous thing, lets have a page or update your profile to include marital status and age group pls.

I feel you sister.

But even so, there's no guarantee that people would actually do all that and be 100% truthful. Whilst your intentions might be honourable, the reality is there are others out there with less than honourable intentions. I'm referring to scammers, fraudsters, opportunists and the likes.

Being on an anonymous faceless forum gives people the chance to let go of any reservations they have and to project images of themselves - as what they might secretly want to be seen as - but in reality could be quite the opposite. It's all good fun at the end of the day, but like CC rightly mentioned, one has to be extremely careful here.

Heck! Moremi even pointed out in an earlier thread that for all we know, Jenny could infact be an elderly white male - and Moremi for all we know too, could even be an underaged teenage girl from Haiti using the only computer available in a remote village to come online sef grin

(Jeez, I hope neither of them see this o!) cheesy cheesy
Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by tpia5: 1:11pm On Jun 02, 2012
some states or countries are trying to pass bills that would remove the anonymity of the internet.

not necessarily a bad idea, imo.
Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by yusufbaba(m): 1:35pm On Jun 02, 2012
I thnk NL is o.k d way it is...if u fancy a members commnt,maturity,interest...u can email him nd if vise varsl he/can contact u...personally

2 Likes

Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by okeyxyz(m): 1:36pm On Jun 02, 2012
tpia@:
some states or countries are trying to pass bills that would remove the anonymity of the internet.

not necessarily a bad idea, imo.

what states & countries are these
Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by Excelboi(m): 1:38pm On Jun 02, 2012
Why should you know others anonymity? I don't buy the idea, it could lead to stalking and expose members to dangers.
Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jun 02, 2012
PrettyCindy: As i have rightly observed, nairaland have a very large community/members. Is there a way we can have a page or something where we can be our real selves? Real name, true complete profile with pictures?

No, It's a bad idea. What's driving Nairaland is the anonymity of members. Remove it and you see a drastic reduction in traffic, less number of posts as people become more careful. Besides, you can put two plus two together and get four. In this age, with email alone, I can scout the internet and get a near complete profile of an individual.

If you are interested in someone, you can use the email handle (check the members "following" you) to exchange messages. If you are comfortable with the fellow, you can graduate to real emails and then to something like facebook or exchange numbers.

4 Likes

Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by zangiff(m): 1:43pm On Jun 02, 2012
anonymity is fun and makes nairaland interesting for now

1 Like

Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by Yorisb: 1:44pm On Jun 02, 2012
yusuf baba: I thnk NL is o.k d way it is...if u fancy a members commnt,maturity,interest...u can email him nd if vise varsl he/can contact u...personally
Excelboi: Why should you know others anonymity? I don't buy the idea, it could lead to stalking and expose members to dangers.

I comment my reserve(s). . .
Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by okeyxyz(m): 1:45pm On Jun 02, 2012
@PrettyCindy, it seems what you are looking for is a dating site, but @nairaland is a general purpose site that puts the choice and control of it's use at the hands of it's users to spin anyhow they like. if you wanna reveal yourself completely, then that's your choice, you'll have to bear the risks as well it's benefits.

3 Likes

Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by Yorisb: 1:51pm On Jun 02, 2012
^^
Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by polokor60(m): 1:52pm On Jun 02, 2012
just imagine beef or okija shrine revealing their true identity on nairaland!nairaland is ok just the way it is.revealing your identity should be optional in my own opinion. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by PrettyCindy(f): 1:56pm On Jun 02, 2012
Ok. Thanks all. I get what you all are trying to say. Even i appreciate and enjoy the privacy.
Maybe in the nearest future, there will be an overall updating of nairaland to look like face book BUT THIS ANONYMOUS FORUM WILL STILL BE OPEN. There will be no single connection or similarity between your true identity and your fake username. Nairaland will get there.

1 Like

Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jun 02, 2012
I vote for complete anonymity! tongue
yusuf baba: I thnk NL is o.k d way it is...if u fancy a members commnt,maturity,interest...u can email him nd if vise varsl he/can contact u...personally
^^ you more or less wrapped it!
Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by PrettyCindy(f): 1:57pm On Jun 02, 2012
Ok. Thanks all. I get what you all are trying to say and its actually true. Even i appreciate and enjoy the privacy.
Maybe in the nearest future, there will be an overall updating of nairaland to look like face book BUT THIS ANONYMOUS FORUM WILL STILL BE OPEN. There will be no single connection or similarity between your true identity and your fake username. Nairaland will get there.
Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jun 02, 2012
Efemena_xy:

I feel you sister.

But even so, there's no guarantee that people would actually do all that and be 100% truthful. Whilst your intentions might be honourable, the reality is there are others out there with less than honourable intentions. I'm referring to scammers, fraudsters, opportunists and the likes.

Being on an anonymous faceless forum gives people the chance to let go of any reservations they have and to project images of themselves - as what they might secretly want to be seen as - but in reality could be quite the opposite. It's all good fun at the end of the day, but like CC rightly mentioned, one has to be extremely careful here.

Heck! Moremi even pointed out in an earlier thread that for all we know, Jenny could infact be an elderly white male - and Moremi for all we know too, could even be an underaged teenage girl from Haiti using the only computer available in a remote village to come online sef grin

(Jeez, I hope neither of them see this o!) cheesy cheesy
You may be right, as I also think someone like debosky is in his early 50's, enjoying his pension with his kids in Toronto, Ogugua88 schools in upper Alaska, BEAF is Reno Omokri:Special adviser to GEJ on new media, Mclatunji is the baba adinni of the local mosque in his community, Ileke idi has never visited Nigeria, she spends alot of time on local websites, no wonder she knows the little about ekiti today, Idowuogbo happens to be a introvert, her character in real life is a complete opposite of what we know on nairaland

2 Likes

Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by valencia25(m): 2:01pm On Jun 02, 2012
u wan c me abi?

Oya go here Add as Friend on Facebook

u fit cum here sev Follow on Twitter

I prefer NL Anonymity, it more like a Free-bird u wnt to Cage!

1 Like

Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by PrettyCindy(f): 2:06pm On Jun 02, 2012
okeyxyz: @PrettyCindy, it seems what you are looking for is a dating site, but @nairaland is a general purpose site that puts the choice and control of it's use at the hands of it's users to spin anyhow they like. if you wanna reveal yourself completely, then that's your choice, you'll have to bear the risks as well it's benefits.

Oga Okey... i know the difference between a dating site and nairaland. Am not looking for a dating site you hear! I only had a thot which i threw out to the general public of nairaland. From the responses above, i have been able to understand clearly the consequences of such. Thanks anyway.

1 Like

Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jun 02, 2012
So that NL ibos can come after me abi ? grin

2 Likes

Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by PrinceDudu(m): 2:08pm On Jun 02, 2012
Lol, I feel you but wouldn't want it to be so.
I have also found post by some people very interesting and the brilliance at which they express their point(insultive or otherwise) makes me want to know them. but the anonymous thing makes NL thick & I wouldn't want it to loose that coolness.

1 Like

Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by onthefence: 2:09pm On Jun 02, 2012
Una wan turn NL to FB? We run conot for FB hide for NL una wan still expose us? Lef am as e be joor.

5 Likes

Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jun 02, 2012
I dont know for others, for me, moment there is less anonymity, I am off.

1 Like

Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by Ekowise(m): 2:15pm On Jun 02, 2012
Everytin hs an objective attachd 2 it.
Remove ANONIMITY, d Objective & Fun of NairaLand is gone.

1 Like

Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by jamace(m): 2:15pm On Jun 02, 2012
Yorisb:

I comment my reserve(s). . .

My reserve, I comment. grin
Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by okeyxyz(m): 2:16pm On Jun 02, 2012
onthefence: Una wan turn NL to FB? We run comot for FB hide for NL una wan still expose us? Lef am as e be joor.

grin grin grin
Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jun 02, 2012
onthefence: Una wan turn NL to FB? We run conot for FB hide for NL una wan still expose us? Lef am as e be joor.

Such thing can be limited to romance section but definitely not politics.I get a lot of folks pissed,who knows if someone might intend going extra mile ?
Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by PrinceDudu(m): 2:19pm On Jun 02, 2012
~Bluetooth:

So that NL ibos can come after me abi ? grin

I think say u be wrestler/boxer/kickboxing champion? grin grin
Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jun 02, 2012
PrinceDudu:

I think say u be wrestler/boxer/kickboxing champion? grin grin

None of the above but I'm untouchable.I get lot of threats even some guy traced my Ip to my fb account,then I told him you aint gonna get to me !
Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by Exponental(m): 2:24pm On Jun 02, 2012
I think it does matter?
My identity is not necessary...... We can organise fora where people can meet maybe during festive or public holidays, if need be.

1 Like

Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jun 02, 2012
Exponental: I think it does matter?
My identity is not necessary...... We can organise fora where people can meet maybe during festive or public holidays, if need be.

Most quality people wont attend.The beauty of NL lies in it anonymity;a forum not a dating site.Over-familiarity will hinder peoples' sense of judgement and objectivity will be gone !

1 Like

Re: Less Anonymity: Is It Possible For Nairalanders To Stop Being Aliens? by PrinceDudu(m): 2:38pm On Jun 02, 2012
~Bluetooth:

None of the above but I'm untouchable.I get lot of threats even some guy traced my Ip to my fb account,then I told him you aint gonna get to me !

very funny, same fellow would also be anonymous here and taking the shit personal. angry abeg keep being invicible jor.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mountain Top University (MTU) Recruitment 2015 (MFM UNIVERSITY) / 2020 IJMB FORM / Words You Will Only Hear From A Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.