Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,063 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

It Is Only A Foolish Woman That Remain In An Abusive Relationship - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / It Is Only A Foolish Woman That Remain In An Abusive Relationship (1314 Views)

Pictures Of A Woman That Gave Birth On The Road / Why Would A Lady Remain In An Abusive Relationship? / Should I Still Play The Foolish Woman? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Is Only A Foolish Woman That Remain In An Abusive Relationship by penelope9: 9:17am On Jun 02, 2012
Hey Everybody, this is what my friend said what do you guys think.
Re: It Is Only A Foolish Woman That Remain In An Abusive Relationship by Nobody: 9:52am On Jun 02, 2012
the answer is no
Re: It Is Only A Foolish Woman That Remain In An Abusive Relationship by feminineA: 10:44am On Jun 02, 2012
Hmmm. Its easier said! Ask the woman in an abusive marriage and she will give you reasons why she can't leave the wicked man. When you talk about abuse which one?it is emotional, physical or sexual?
Re: It Is Only A Foolish Woman That Remain In An Abusive Relationship by mutter(f): 11:19am On Jun 02, 2012
It is only an abused child that remains in an abusive marriage.
When parents raise their kids in a dictator regime at home some of them later think it is perfectly normal that their husbands are abusive. Also our society enables men to be abusive to women. hardly any consequences for abusing the wife. In fact the woman is advised to show more respect for the husband.
So no one should be pointing fingers at these women. We need to point fingers at ourselves as a part of society that lets men who are abusive get away with it.

2 Likes

Re: It Is Only A Foolish Woman That Remain In An Abusive Relationship by ijebabe: 1:09pm On Jun 02, 2012
I don;t know if i would say foolish women but women who don't think they deserve better or don't know their worth as a human being. They have low esteem due to past treatment either from family, mental instability or past relationships. It takes a personal decision and strong support system to break that bondage.
Re: It Is Only A Foolish Woman That Remain In An Abusive Relationship by EfemenaXY: 1:19pm On Jun 02, 2012
penelope9: Hey Everybody, this is what my friend said what do you guys think.

Tell your friend that he / she has got an incredible naive and simplistic view of life. The reality of it all is that life is not a clear cut case of black and white. There are shades of grey to be considered.

Provide more information on the surrounding circumstances then people here would be better placed to answer your question with balanced views.
Re: It Is Only A Foolish Woman That Remain In An Abusive Relationship by taryour(f): 8:16pm On Jun 02, 2012
Thats not true.....
Re: It Is Only A Foolish Woman That Remain In An Abusive Relationship by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jun 02, 2012
ijebabe: I don;t know if i would say foolish women but women who don't think they deserve better or don't know their worth as a human being. They have low esteem due to past treatment either from family, mental instability or past relationships. It takes a personal decision and strong support system to break that bondage.

Still traits of foolishness if you ask me.
Re: It Is Only A Foolish Woman That Remain In An Abusive Relationship by Nobody: 7:44am On Jun 03, 2012
mutter: It is only an abused child that remains in an abusive marriage.
When parents raise their kids in a dictator regime at home some of them later think it is perfectly normal that their husbands are abusive.
Also our society enables men to be abusive to women. hardly any consequences for abusing the wife. In fact the woman is advised to show more respect for the husband.
So no one should be pointing fingers at these women. We need to point fingers at ourselves as a part of society that lets men who are abusive get away with it.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again.. For some women this is their "normal" because they were raised with abuse. Its not about self esteem.
Re: It Is Only A Foolish Woman That Remain In An Abusive Relationship by ijebabe: 8:25am On Jun 03, 2012
stillwater:

Still traits of foolishness if you ask me.
These woman are smart and independent on the outside, looking like they have it all together but not always the case. Its more than foolishness.
talina: [b]

Ive said it before and Ill say it again.. For some women this is their "normal" because they were raised with abuse. Its not about self esteem.
Why isn't low self esteem seen as the norm for such people. Just like how it's normal for some people to think suicide as a way out, so is low self esteem.

Low self esteem is the result of abuse amongst other things.
Re: It Is Only A Foolish Woman That Remain In An Abusive Relationship by Nobody: 8:47am On Jun 03, 2012
ijebabe:
These woman are smart and independent on the outside, looking like they have it all together but not always the case. Its more than foolishness.

Why isn't low self esteem seen as the norm for such people. Just like how it's normal for some people to think suicide as a way out, so is low self esteem.

Low self esteem is the result of abuse amongst other things.

I dont think low self esteem is a result in some cases. I dont know how to explain.... its just normal. Its not a result if its the normal.. just is until she has the courage to go beyond this and step out.
Re: It Is Only A Foolish Woman That Remain In An Abusive Relationship by mazaje(m): 11:50am On Jun 03, 2012
Its complicated. . .I have a friend who has been married for over 8 years to a medical doctor,he told me that she vowed that the day he lays his hands on her will be the day their marriage will end, she stated it before they married and during their marriage. . .Now the guy is tired of the marriage and wants out for various reasons. . .He has resulted to beating her just because he believes she will stick to her vows and leave, but she is still hanging in there and doesn't want to leave after all what she had said. . .She still wants the marriage to work. . . he has beaten her 3 times already but she is still there begging and trying to make things work. . .This is a medical doctor not some ordinary woman on the street ohh. . .Despite all what she had said she is still there crying and begging him to work on things together with her. . .There is more to it than meets the eyes. . .Very sensible and strong women tolerate beatings and battery for various reasons. . .
Re: It Is Only A Foolish Woman That Remain In An Abusive Relationship by penelope9: 3:59pm On Jun 03, 2012
Mazaje. By the time she die or substain internal injury due to the beating the mans life will go on.
Re: It Is Only A Foolish Woman That Remain In An Abusive Relationship by ijebabe: 7:34pm On Jun 03, 2012
@mazaje, exactly what I meant about smart professionals being victim of abuse. Its deeper than mere stup[i]i[/i]dity but for people like us who don't understand this just term it as foolishness. Same with alcoholics and drug addicts they seem foolish and self destructive to us, why can't they just stop?! Its deeper than that.
Re: It Is Only A Foolish Woman That Remain In An Abusive Relationship by vanitty: 9:03pm On Jun 03, 2012
100% yes.

How you want to describe what "foolish" means is an entire kettle of fish and an indvidual's cup of tea

Be it insecurity on the woman's part(what will my friend, family say). Loveless upbringing (not her fault quite rightly but we all do need to rise above all adversities of life), no other source of income desperate wifey, and perhaps the most foolish of them all "I am staying for my kids"

I have heard/seen it all and the few that manage to come to their senses always marvel at their own foolishness with the usual what was I thinking speech

(1) (Reply)

Pls,how Can I Handle This? / Shame On Nigerian First Lady & Shame On The Senates - Stella Damasus / How To Breakup A 7 Years Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.