Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

In Support Of James Ibori - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In Support Of James Ibori (4594 Views)

Fashola, Al-Hassan At The Residence Of James Ocholi (Photos) / What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones / Nigerians March In Support Of Troops Fighting Against Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Support Of James Ibori by ono(m): 8:43pm On Dec 14, 2007
Anyway, I'll just sit calmly and watch as events unfolds. As far as I'm concerned, the guy surely did better than quite a lot of the other Niger Delta ex-governors.

I'm cock sure he was instrumental to the peace efforts brokered between the Ijaws and Itsekiris. The relative peace we now enjoy in Warri is largely due to the efforts of this man. I have gone round Delta State all the way from Asaba to Patani and I honestly believe that Ibori did a lot more than any other governor we have had in the past in Delta state. You can deny that here, but I believe that men of good conscience will attest to this. The workers in the civil service we're told had some of the best pay package in the country. My cousin left Benin for Ughelli to take up a higher role and a better pay as a teacher and as an indigene of Delta state.

Over here in Portharcourt, life has never been so bad. I think it's Odili that should be behind bars . . . . . and talking abou the Niger Delta governors, aside from Duke, I think no other governor can measure up to Ibori in terms of physical structures and development.

In all, I'll just sit and watch as events unfolds. That's my stand for now.
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by buluti(m): 8:48pm On Dec 14, 2007
@ ono but does that mean he's innocent, in your heart do you think he embezzeled govt fund or not?
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by debosky(m): 8:50pm On Dec 14, 2007
well said Ono

but please note - Delta has the largest allocation ever in its history in Ibori's time, is the development commensurate with the funds received?

even if he did a lot, With the amount he got, Delta ought to be much better.
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by buluti(m): 8:56pm On Dec 14, 2007
debosky:

well said Ono

but please note - Delta has the largest allocation ever in its history in Ibori's time, is the development commensurate with the funds received?

even if he did a lot, With the amount he got, Delta ought to be much better.

Gbam you have said it all, compared with the funds he had he did nothing. We wait and see, i sincerely just hope EFCC can prove their case, a statement needs to be made to deter the current governors.
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by dot2002(m): 8:58pm On Dec 14, 2007
he should rot in hell with his ill gotten wealth
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by ono(m): 9:42pm On Dec 14, 2007
I cannot say that Ibori did not pilfer the state treasury. And much as I don't condone theft of any kind, I make bold to say that there was no governor in this country during the period Ibori was governor, that was clean. Not even the pastor or Reverend governor at Taraba or the one that delights in amputating thieves in his state - the bearded Sharia Enforcer at Zamfara.  Show me any clean governor at the time and Iwill show you several clean Iboris.

Now, I'm not saying Ibori should not pay for his misdeeds, what I've been saying ever since is that the big thieves should be dealt with so that this feeling of selective justice I'm having can be dispensed with. I just don't understand the rationale behind leaving people like Odili, Obasanjo, Uba, IBB, George and Iwu, yes, Iwu to walk free in this country to attend all sorts of ceremonies and all that, while Ibori of all people should be put behind bars.

If you want to deal with corrupt people, start from the highest echelon and not chase shadows.
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by debosky(m): 9:47pm On Dec 14, 2007
high or low echelon? Well that is a matter of opinion I think, the issue is - someone somewhere (for a start) is being held accountable for their deeds

Dariye, Nnamani, Fayose, Alams and Now Ibori - those guys come from all over the nation and are being prosecuted, I feel that should show enough that there is a strong desire to handle the problem and no sectional bias in this.

The investigations are ongoing, remember Odili is fighting an injunction in court, and other cases are being investigated. If you want to be successful, you pick your battles carefully, winning those you can and biding your time for those you are currently unprepared for.

Ibori, Nnamani and co are not a case of chasing shadows if I must submit, they are highly placed and powerful people, maybe not your 'highest' echelon, but the battle must at least start somewhere. We may not agree on where it should start from, but at least there is a beginning. Prior to this moment Ibori was also walking free attending events, so let us wait and see.
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by buluti(m): 9:51pm On Dec 14, 2007
Odili and co would have their day in court none has been given any clean bill, they have questions to answer. Investigations are ongoing, as debosky said you pick your battles, especially when fighting powerful individuals like Ibori. At least no one can say Ibori's case is that of witch hunting as he is close to Yar Adua and several current governors.

The idea of doing nothing is what we are against, everyone can't be caught and prosecuted at the same time. It took a lot to get to where we are, we need to support the process to accelerate it.

The rationale is that as long as we have the institution EFCC in place, govt in govt out, theres no hiding place. OBJ is not president today, when Yar Adua leave who says case files can't be open.
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by IykeD1(m): 10:10pm On Dec 14, 2007
This Ono guy is funny, but I understand because corruption has twisted the minds
of most Nigerians.

"Na we get Delta state" and there is a certain level of conduct we expect from our
state governors - one of which is using the money allocated to the the state for the
state's development ONLY. As a Delta state governor, we do not permit you to steal
10% or 20% of the states treasury because you tarred enough roads or quench the
conflicts in Warri. He was paid a salary and provided with accommodation for 8 years
to tar the roads, maintain public peace, etc, I can assure you that looting the state's
funds was not on the state's to-do-list.
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by oldie(m): 10:27pm On Dec 14, 2007
What type of justification do we have for thievery here?
He was rich. Then he could steal from his people?
He is a southern thief. Then until all the northern thieves are caught, then he should be left alone?
He is from Delta. No problem if he stole Deltan money?
Next we will be told that EFCC is selective!

A thief is a thief is a thief.
All corrupt officials should be executed
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by dot2002(m): 10:32pm On Dec 14, 2007
I support you without a shadow of a doubt- they should all die by public execution through frying in hot palm oil grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by ono(m): 7:42am On Dec 15, 2007
Well, I'm yet to see someone from your Kogi state fry in hot palm  oil. Not even Prince Audu who many of your kindred said stole several millions. In fact, you all trooped out to vote for him in the last election. But for the swift intervention of OBJ and his co-travellers, Audu would have been the lord of the manor once again in the steel state.

Anyways, as per Ibori, I'll just continue to watch as events unfolds.
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by iykrion(m): 8:21am On Dec 15, 2007
ono:

Well, I'm yet to see someone from your Kogi state fry in hot palm  oil. Not even Prince Audu who many of your kindred said stole several millions. In fact, you all trooped out to vote for him in the last election. But for the swift intervention of OBJ and his co-travellers, Audu would have been the lord of the manor once again in the steel state.

Anyways, as per Ibori, I'll just continue to watch as events unfolds.

Are you somehow related to Mamajama? Both of you sure have things in common - BLIND ARGUMENT! grin

I must say that your stance on this discourse, is at best shallow and at worst irresponsible. sad

Ibori is a big time thief and not a shadow. This is not the first time he stole, even before he became a governor, he was cought stealing building materials somewhere in Abuja. He was prosecuted, along the line people like you came out to defend him.

Please reason before you talk. Agabya!
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by chidichris(m): 8:22am On Dec 15, 2007
my only fear in this matters is why efcc is yet to arrest any federal player.
are we all saying the states are more important than this entity call nigeria?
what happened in the last eight (cool years at the states political scenes were just a shadow of the federal scenes.
it is obvious, the war is yet to take the normal shape that will lead us to the promise land and until then, i will like to fold my hands and watch the end of the stories.
on the other hand, i am still doubting the justifications of leaving a country as big as nigeria in the hands of a single man who dictates the tunes though he is working with the evil ones at the back ground.
it is obvious ribadu is not happy with people like ibb but what is not obvious is why he is still a role model to our young politicians.
some pdp characters are too notorious that even the signs are vissible even to the blind yet they remain lords and kings among us.
if we look at such men as Adedibu, one will be forced to say Ibori and others can never be addressed as corrupt.
what happened to the established case against atiku?
i keep on asking if ribadu cannot ascertain the wealth of obj or has he not found anything wrong with a president getting this rich within eight years?
ribadu and the key players in this war against corruption have a lot of unanswered questions as saints like el-rufai is today a known criminal but has remained untouched because he lives in the palace of obj.
if things continue this way, nigerians will have a reason to reject the war on corruption and embrace the corrupt practices that we are used to which is free for all.
obj's deciet ended with the third term bid but the agenda was too hot that ribadu could have made many victims out of it with the movements of money then especially in the houses of senate and reps.
the jigawa gov made us known  the his state's funds were invested in the third term- so what and why is ribadu saying no to that?
yar adua as a gov benefited from the obj gov house illegal sharing in abuja, this our new war on corruption is expected to know the qualifications of beneficiaries and tell us why govs like Orji Uzo Kalu did not benefit from such.
another way of interpretting illegal contracts are fraudulent contracts and the war on corruption shld be mearnt to look back at the illegal contracts of obj.
ribadu is not far from the dock because mustapha and bamiyi were all like him during the respective times.
el-rufai has been linked with some issues so how will that be addressed?
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by ono(m): 8:58am On Dec 15, 2007
I personally don't believe in the FGs war on corruption.
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by Afam(m): 11:48am On Dec 15, 2007
It is not about how good he is, it is about the allegations against him. Guilty or not?

If I rob Mr A and use the money to grant scholarship to child B does that make me innocent of my robbing Mr A?
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by oldie(m): 12:34pm On Dec 15, 2007
Afam:

It is not about how good he is, it is about the allegations against him. Guilty or not?

If I rob Mr A and use the money to grant scholarship to child B does that make me innocent of my robbing Mr A?

Well said.
But normally Mr. A would use some token, and keep 99.9% of what he has stolen.
Which everway Mr. A is still a thief!
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by brownbonno(m): 1:52pm On Dec 15, 2007
What a nice topic ,
Remember James Ibori,is a convicted thief even before he came to decieve the Deltan to become their governor.He (and the wife)was convicted for for collaborating with the girlfriend(now wife) to steal/defraud his employer in the UK.He was also convicted for Creditcard fraud in the UK between 1991-1992.
Deltans shine your eyes and stop supporting the thief as your former governor.
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by brownbonno(m): 1:53pm On Dec 15, 2007
ibori is a professional thief
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by iykrion(m): 2:30pm On Dec 15, 2007
ono:

I personally don't believe in the FGs war on corruption.

The war goes on, your belief notwithstanding grin grin grin
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by otokx(m): 8:34pm On Dec 15, 2007
Selective justice has made nonsense of EFCC actions. Sanitation today in Warri was increased to 12pm in order to prevent massive demonstrations by his supporters who are numerous. Here in Port Harcourt, he has a large follower ship. The man actually improved delta state via massive infrastructural development never before seen. Come to Port Harcourt then you will weep because our golden governor spent the time dreaming of Gold in the sky.
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by IykeD1(m): 9:24pm On Dec 15, 2007
Not sure if your point made any sense. Are you saying Ibori should be left alone because he has a
lot of supporters in Warri and Port Harcourt, irrespective of the fact that he may have looted half of
Delta's treasury?

Are you suggesting that Ibori be left alone or his prosecution by the EFCC is selective because the
state received N200billion while he was governor but he manage to spend N150billion building
infrastructure (far more than Odili) but pocketed ONLY N50billion? You really should hear yourself
sometimes, its bewildering.

Any individual who abandons what they should be doing to go protest Ibori's arrest or visit him in
jail like they did Orji Kalu, for the most part was either "rented" or needs their heads examined.
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by otokx(m): 11:47pm On Dec 15, 2007
Where did you get N50 billion from? Is N50 billion half of Deltas treasury? Please recheck your fingers maybe they have diarrhea.
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by iykrion(m): 12:02am On Dec 16, 2007
@ otokx,
You haven't made any sense. Are you sure that Ibori didn't misappropriate the funds entrusted to his administration?

Even Lawrence Anini had sympathisers. If you want to take part in a discourse such as this, please please, avoid ad hominems. Only facts and good reasoning will justify your arguments.

Thank you.
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by ono(m): 2:18am On Dec 16, 2007
And talking about facts, I'll like to see all the monies that accrued to Delta State since 1999 till March 2008. I'll also like to see the state expenditure profile during the period under review. Until then, none of us here have actually done anything right in that direction, and at best all of what we have been posting as[b] reasons to nail the guy [/b] are mere speculations.

I wait to see these facts.
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by almondjoy(f): 7:33am On Dec 16, 2007
Make una go visit una brother for jail oh!  Whether e chop loot or im no chop loot no be our consine! tongue  As for me, a dey cook banga and starsssh to carry go give am for Kaduna. cool

Even though I do not like the dude, na still my south south brother and I cannot cast him away now no matter how disgraced I feel. Afterall Umaru Dikko was granted "pardon" from exile!!!!

Maybe some of the loot fit reach ma hand!
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by otokx(m): 8:48am On Dec 16, 2007
@Iykrion

You need understanding to perceive the things that be; comparing Anini and Ibori is an absurdity.
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by dot2002(m): 11:54am On Dec 16, 2007
almondjoy how right! your words are genius!! Ng to the core!!!
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by iykrion(m): 12:38pm On Dec 16, 2007
otokx:

@Iykrion
You need understanding to perceive the things that be; comparing Anini and Ibori is an absurdity.

I was only infering that everybody has those who believe in him, no matter how bad others will portray him. That's why I asked if you are sure that he has no case to answer, as regards the accusation against him.

In the past, people supported Anini because they benefited from his exploits. Now, people are supporting Ibori because of their selfish interests.

Finally, coming to the juxtapositioning of both men, Anini deprived people forcefully and Ibori deprived people surreptitiously. I find nothing preposterous about my position on this issue.

Thank you!

ono:

And talking about facts, I'll like to see all the monies that accrued to Delta State since 1999 till March 2008. I'll also like to see the state expenditure profile during the period under review. Until then, none of us here have actually done anything right in that direction, and at best all of what we have been posting as[b] reasons to nail the guy [/b] are mere speculations.

I wait to see these facts.

Why haven't u made the research yet? Please, do not preface your argument with ad hominems. Corruption must not be condoned no matter who is involved.
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by McKren(m): 4:04pm On Dec 16, 2007
Sometimes I rather not get involved in threads like this cos of the irrationality people display here

The last time I checked EFCC does not and has not charged anybody because the State in which they hold sway is not beautiful. So the talk of Delta or Asaba being transformed from Darfur to New York City between 1999-2008 does not hold water

Some of the allegation against Ibori include the fact that funds budgeted for Education and Engineering Projects were directly wired through banks to private interests abroad, That is Money Laundary and Fraud. It does not matter whether Delta is as beautiful as London.
He has to answer his case and defend that he has done no wrong at the court, that is simply how any civilized society works.

I heard a couple of boys who call themselves Camorra Gomora are threatening to disrupt peace if he is not released, well if that is the basis of peace in Nigeria then that peace is not worth having as that is the height of lawlessness.
I guess those boys are simply watching too many Mafia movies, if the struggle for resource control gets to the point where those who misuse the same resources are obstructed from facing Justice it simply translates to ORGANISED CRIME.

I dont think that is the sort of reputation Niger-Delta struggle wants to have.
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by ono(m): 4:26pm On Dec 16, 2007
The problem I have with ''saints'' in Nigeria is that they fail, often times, to come to terms with reality in that country. They know quite well what obtains in the ''system''. They know how things work there. But they put on this ''cloak of righteousness'' and come to judge everybody according to their works - even when, right at their own backyard, there are skeletons of misdeeds and rot in there.

This said, I don't waste time listening to ''saints'' in Nigeria because they aren't really saints in the right sense of the word. . . . . but some corrupt people disguised as clean peeps.

@Iykrion, I'm doing my research. The finance ministry website sure have the records of the funds allocated to all the state of the federation including Delta. What I can't readily access is the state expenditure profile during the period under review. I'll keep on searching. I might be lucky. Maybe EFCC can help publish such findings in their website. I'll visit that too. But if it's not publish there, then I think EFCC is being economical with the truth about the whole saga.
Re: In Support Of James Ibori by Nobody: 5:33pm On Dec 16, 2007
Make SSS charge Ibori to court for Terrorism, Eziekel Jonjon don confirm say him be there leader.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Government Orders Probe Into U. S. Plane Bombing Attempt / Governor Ahmed Sends Commissioners’ List For Approval / Can Jonathan Really Handle Things In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.