Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,989 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa (4585 Views)

Why Yoruba's are greater than Igbos In Nigeria And Africa / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa by tpia5: 3:20pm On Aug 10, 2012
odumchi I'd like to hear from you about this matter, since you're one of the beneficiaries as stated in the thread title.
Re: Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa by odumchi: 5:09pm On Aug 10, 2012
Hm.

Since you want my opinion, I'll give it to you.
Re: Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa by odumchi: 6:51pm On Aug 10, 2012
I agree that the Yoruba are generally a warm and inviting people, however I don't subscribe to the thought that they are an exception when it comes to hospitality. I also don't believe that, as the author put it, "more Nigerians have been successful in the Western part of the country than inside or outside of Africa." Location is only one of the several factors that result in success. Living in western Nigeria doesn't mean that one will be more sucessful than someone living in the North or East.

The real catalyst for "success" in western Nigeria is Lagos; a seaport; Nigeria's main commercial doorway. In the modern context, the main reason why people are attracted to the west is because of this particular port. It offers people a place to do business that would be otherwise difficult to do in other parts of the country. When the first traders settled in Lagos, they brought with them their different attitudes, beliefs, and perspectives. However, they were united under the common aspiration to succeed. This resulted in a blend of cultures that made Lagos a multi-ethnic city open to diversity and liberalism.

The Westerners were among the first to experience colonial rule in Nigeria, thus their early exposure to foreigners. I believe this is the reason why the South (as a whole) is generally more liberal than the North. Since the South was exposed to foreigners while the North was generally untouched by the Europeans, the North's traditional conservatism is still with it politically, religiously, and socially. I believe that it is this unfamiliarity with change that has resulted in the violence in the North. That being said, it now seems clear (at least to me) that the West (with its combination of liberalism, hospitality, and commercial significance) is generally a place where people succeed.

However, that doesn't mean that success (or hospitality) is not found in other regions or places. The same thing written about the Yoruba in this article could also be written about the Ijaw or Igbo. The Eastern Ijaw people believe that a man's origin and history are not important when deciding his destiny. According to them, every one (whether born a slave or a prince) is able to achieve great things irrespective of their pasts. It was this same mentality that allowed Jaja Jubogha, an Igbo slave, to rise from servitude to royalty and establish his own Ijaw trading town.

The Igbo subscribe to the following ideologies: "live and let live" and "one's ability to succeed is firmly entrenched in the strenght of his/her aka Ikenga (right hand)". The Igbo believe in offering hospitality and warmth to outsiders such as was displayed by the people of Mgborogwu to Omenuko in the novel Omenuko. In this novel, the people of Mgborogwu allowed Omenuko, a foreigner, to succeed and thrive in their land even to the extent of serving as their Chief. The difference between this philosphy and that of the Yoruba is that the Igbo are generally not alright with allowing their visitors to exceed them to the extent of threatening them, hence the Igbo proverb that no matter how long a visitor stays, he must always return to his homeland.

What I'm trying to say is that success and hospitality are not unique to the Yoruba, as the author made it seem. However the truth must be told that, like many other peoples, the Yoruba are generally warm and accepting of foreigners (as in the case of Lagos).

2 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa by igboboy1(m): 3:50pm On Aug 11, 2012
odumchi: I agree that the Yoruba are generally a warm and inviting people, however I don't subscribe to the thought that they are an exception when it comes to hospitality. I also don't believe that, as the author put it, "more Nigerians have been successful in the Western part of the country than inside or outside of Africa." Location is only one of the several factors that result in success. Living in western Nigeria doesn't mean that one will be more sucessful than someone living in the North or East.

The real catalyst for "success" in western Nigeria is Lagos; a seaport; Nigeria's main commercial doorway. In the modern context, the main reason why people are attracted to the west is because of this particular port. It offers people a place to do business that would be otherwise difficult to do in other parts of the country. When the first traders settled in Lagos, they brought with them their different attitudes, beliefs, and perspectives. However, they were united under the common aspiration to succeed. This resulted in a blend of cultures that made Lagos a multi-ethnic city open to diversity and liberalism.

The Westerners were among the first to experience colonial rule in Nigeria, thus their early exposure to foreigners. I believe this is the reason why the South (as a whole) is generally more liberal than the North. Since the South was exposed to foreigners while the North was generally untouched by the Europeans, the North's traditional conservatism is still with it politically, religiously, and socially. I believe that it is this unfamiliarity with change that has resulted in the violence in the North. That being said, it now seems clear (at least to me) that the West (with its combination of liberalism, hospitality, and commercial significance) is generally a place where people succeed.

However, that doesn't mean that success (or hospitality) is not found in other regions or places. The same thing written about the Yoruba in this article could also be written about the Ijaw or Igbo. The Eastern Ijaw people believe that a man's origin and history are not important when deciding his destiny. According to them, every one (whether born a slave or a prince) is able to achieve great things irrespective of their pasts. It was this same mentality that allowed Jaja Jubogha, an Igbo slave, to rise from servitude to royalty and establish his own Ijaw trading town.

The Igbo subscribe to the following ideologies: "live and let live" and "one's ability to succeed is firmly entrenched in the strenght of his/her aka Ikenga (right hand)". The Igbo believe in offering hospitality and warmth to outsiders such as was displayed by the people of Mgborogwu to Omenuko in the novel Omenuko. In this novel, the people of Mgborogwu allowed Omenuko, a foreigner, to succeed and thrive in their land even to the extent of serving as their Chief. The difference between this philosphy and that of the Yoruba is that the Igbo are generally not alright with allowing their visitors to exceed them to the extent of threatening them, hence the Igbo proverb that no matter how long a visitor stays, he must always return to his homeland.

What I'm trying to say is that success and hospitality are not unique to the Yoruba, as the author made it seem. However the truth must be told that, like many other peoples, the Yoruba are generally warm and accepting of foreigners (as in the case of Lagos).

Bolded is something for chest beaters like eko ile and dayokanuwankwor to read....
Yoruba this Yoruba that...but they will never claim their Yoruba brothers who was just featured in vanguard about agberos....

1 Like

Re: Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa by tpia5: 4:08pm On Aug 11, 2012
what are these long stories about?

i asked for examples of forums where owners with non-yoruba names have accommodated success in outsiders the same way the yoruba name nl owner has done on nl.

i didnt ask for ancient history since there are other threads for that.

however, if that's what you want, we can discuss it as well? We'll still have the same findings as per thread title.
Re: Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa by timilehin007(m): 10:28am On Aug 12, 2012
....Hmmmmmmm angeli ton pinre oju e da, its our turn to shine no retreat no surrender..
Re: Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa by igboboy1(m): 9:21pm On Aug 13, 2012
timilehin007: ....Hmmmmmmm angeli ton pinre oju e da, its our turn to shine no retreat no surrender..

Enjoy it while it lasts..all good thing must come to an end...
Re: Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa by nobaga: 8:11pm On Dec 14, 2016
The question is if anything has changed after the years. The answer is, not very much. If anything, intolerance has grown between ethnic groups. If yo see it differently, let us know.
Re: Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa by AkinPhysicist: 10:24pm On Dec 14, 2016
cool If Seun was an Igbo man almost EVERY single mod on Nairaland will be an Igbo. Anyway, I have been saying for awhile now that the days of liberal Yorubanism are almost over. The internet and social media has expose the wanton hatred (towards Yorubas) of certain nomadic Ugandans who are filled with bile. We the new generation of Yorubas are not gonna be as accommodating as our parents and uncles. We will restructure our political system and make sure that we remove enemies who reside within our gates - there is time for everything...a time to accommodate and a time to close our doors.. cool

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa by googi: 9:04pm On Jun 01, 2017
This is a chilling fact. The water of accommodation has run dry!

AkinPhysicist:
cool If Seun was an Igbo man almost EVERY single mod on Nairaland will be an Igbo. Anyway, I have been saying for awhile now that the days of liberal Yorubanism are almost over. The internet and social media has expose the wanton hatred (towards Yorubas) of certain nomadic Ugandans who are filled with bile. We the new generation of Yorubas are not gonna be as accommodating as our parents and uncles. We will restructure our political system and make sure that we remove enemies who reside within our gates - there is time for everything...a time to accommodate and a time to close our doors.. cool

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa by isalegan2: 12:13am On Jun 05, 2017
googi:
This is a chilling fact. The water of accommodation has run dry!

I've seen the wave of anti-Igbo sentiment rising. undecided
Re: Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa by pazienza(m): 7:59am On Jun 05, 2017
The accommodators. grin
When two accomodators are currently the mods of the sensitive multiethnic political section of NL. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa by pazienza(m): 8:00am On Jun 05, 2017
odumchi:
I agree that the Yoruba are generally a warm and inviting people, however I don't subscribe to the thought that they are an exception when it comes to hospitality. I also don't believe that, as the author put it, "more Nigerians have been successful in the Western part of the country than inside or outside of Africa." Location is only one of the several factors that result in success. Living in western Nigeria doesn't mean that one will be more sucessful than someone living in the North or East.

See as you come pour sand for their garri. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa by laiperi: 11:12pm On May 02, 2020
What changed since then?
Re: Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa by googi: 6:56pm On Jun 24, 2021
Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan knows Yoruba well but it took him this long to confirm Yoruba egalitarianism.

When is he going to thank Obasanjo publicly.

Jonathan, a well talented academic, that gave hope from North to South became a missed opportunity.
Re: Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa by laiperi: 11:08pm On Nov 22, 2021
A lot has changed
http://saharareporters.com/2012/05/31/why-yoruba-culture-accommodates-success-outsiders#:~:text=Why%20Yoruba%20Culture%20Accommodates%20Success%20In%20Outsiders%20The,amongst%20world%20cultures%2C%20East%2C%20West%2C%20North%20and%20South.
Re: Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa by googi: 12:49am On Mar 20, 2023
Jun 03, 2012

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbos Have No King / The Unique Abiriba Wedding / What Do You Enjoy About Going To Your Village?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.