Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,434 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:34 AM

Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? (3265 Views)

Numbers Of Federal Workers By State Of Origin-- Bureau Of Public Service / Saraki Saga:section 64 Subsection 3 Of The Constitution / Abba’s Sack Illegal-Police Council Not Consulted As Required By the Constitution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by acidtalk: 7:40pm On Jun 04, 2012
During Obasanjo's regime, a house of rep member came up with the idea if us wipping The State Of Origin Clause from our constitution and replace it with "Place of Birth" or "place of Residence" I.e on JAMB forms, NYSC, WAEC,Work Place etc, the cloumn will no longer have a State of Rogin Column whereby every single Nigeria will have equal right in whatever states he visits or seek to occupy office.

It appeared a whole lot of rep members for whatever reason kicked against the idea.

My question now is, Don't we think removing the State Of Origin Clause will make Nigeria and Nigerians more united and the country will be a peaceful place as each and everyone will start living as one and feel free to learn as many dialects as we can.

Let's set the ball rolling. But please try and avoid as much as you can to insult, castigate or mock any ethnic group or religion.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by danjohn: 8:36pm On Jun 04, 2012
I agree with you we need to scrap state of origin bruhaha and replace it with state of residence.

1 Like

Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by acidtalk: 8:49pm On Jun 04, 2012
danjohn: I agree with you we need to scrap state of origin bruhaha and replace it with state of residence.

But why are the Executive and Legislative arm of Government feel too scared or insecured to implement such or at least make it pass through a second reading on the floor?

We need Peace and Unity in this Country and the only way we can achieve such is to start looking at ourselves as one.

1 Like

Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by NwaNimo1(m): 9:22pm On Jun 04, 2012
That wont work - state of origin indicates which states debts you are liable for.

So if your from Kano, living in Lagos your actually liable for Kano states debts.

Its how they raise bonds in the bond market - its based on the number of recorded births from that state.

The more births registered - the more the state can borrow - as its the states citizens who are liable.

You can reside in 10 states at once - but can only come from one.
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by acidtalk: 9:32pm On Jun 04, 2012
Nwa_Nimo: That wont work - state of origin indicates which states debts you are liable for.

So if your from Kano, living in Lagos your actually liable for Kano states debts.

Its how they raise bonds in the bond market - its based on the number of recorded births from that state.

The more births registered - the more the state can borrow - as its the states citizens who are liable.

You can reside in 10 states at once - but can only come from one.

What about place of birth?
Afterall America and other developed coutries broke that cultural difference by not limiting you to any state your parents or grandparents originated from.

1 Like

Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by NwaNimo1(m): 9:45pm On Jun 04, 2012
Because we are very tribal 'Place of birth' wont work.

An 'Hausa' man born in Lagos wouldn't want to be associated with lagos - he would rather refer to his state of origin.

In fact, most people in Nigeria would want the same - especially those born in undesirable places.
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by acidtalk: 11:18pm On Jun 04, 2012
Nwa_Nimo: Because we are very tribal 'Place of birth' wont work.

An 'Hausa' man born in Lagos wouldn't want to be associated with lagos - he would rather refer to his state of origin.

In fact, most people in Nigeria would want the same - especially those born in undesirable places.

But isn't it time we care less about what people want 'cus of selfish and emotional greed and focus more on what will truly work for the NATION.

The earlier Americans didn't want it but were later left with no choice. Today it is working wonders for them.
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by dasparrow: 12:29am On Jun 05, 2012
acidtalk:

But isn't it time we care less about what people want 'cus of selfish and emotional greed and focus more on what will truly work for the NATION.

The earlier Americans didn't want it but were later left with no choice. Today it is working wonders for them.

Nigeria must first fight corruption before anything else. Also, we must be able to boast of stable electricity as a nation and stop living in darkness like a bunch of cave men and women. I think that if most Nigerians were relatively comfortable, they probably won't be so tribalistic or clannish. It is abject poverty caused as a result of persistent corruption that is fueling divisiveness and hate amongst the populace. Hence, whether Nigerians claim their state of origin or place of birth or state of residence won't make much of a difference.

Moreover, what works for america may not work for Nigeria. Americans don't share a single common ancestry. Their ancestors wandered into america from around the globe. Members of each Nigerian ethnic group share a common ancestry so it will be difficult to have say a hausa man claim Lagos even though he was born and raised there. His hausa name alone could make the natives of Lagos state view him as an outsider and not one of theirs.

I personally don't know what will unite Nigerians because Nigerians were never united to begin with. They were forced by outsiders namely the british to share a country together despite stark cultural and religious differences. Today, we are reaping the consequences of this forced marraige.
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by acidtalk: 7:39pm On Jun 18, 2012
dasparrow:

Nigeria must first fight corruption before anything else. Also, we must be able to boast of stable electricity as a nation and stop living in darkness like a bunch of cave men and women. I think that if most Nigerians were relatively comfortable, they probably won't be so tribalistic or clannish. It is abject poverty caused as a result of persistent corruption that is fueling divisiveness and hate amongst the populace. Hence, whether Nigerians claim their state of origin or place of birth or state of residence won't make much of a difference.

Moreover, what works for america may not work for Nigeria. Americans don't share a single common ancestry. Their ancestors wandered into america from around the globe. Members of each Nigerian ethnic group share a common ancestry so it will be difficult to have say a hausa man claim Lagos even though he was born and raised there. His hausa name alone could make the natives of Lagos state view him as an outsider and not one of theirs.

I personally don't know what will unite Nigerians because Nigerians were never united to begin with. They were forced by outsiders namely the british to share a country together despite stark cultural and religious differences. Today, we are reaping the consequences of this forced marraige.

Don't you think Ethnicity and Religious 'demacation' is what is Nigeria's GREATEST problem?
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by DuduNegro: 12:00am On Jun 19, 2012
I am sure whoever the house member that first raised the idea during Obasanjo's regime was from the East. No Westerner or Northerner would dare dream of such a bad idea.

We can appreciate why state of origin is not used in America, it's because everyone except the natives originated from somewhere else. The Natives therefore have tribal number and reservation identity they use when filling in demographic info on applications.

In our case, Nigeria is not our origin and we are natives to lands in the country, therefore our state of origin become the native identity. Ibos want to do away with their native identity, I suggest you take this topic to Biafran forums or limit it within cultural section specific to Igbo discussions. This is not a Nigerian issue, it is Igbo ethnicity issue!
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by Onlytruth(m): 4:41am On Jun 19, 2012
Dudu_Negro: I am sure whoever the house member that first raised the idea during Obasanjo's regime was from the East. No Westerner or Northerner would dare dream of such a bad idea.

We can appreciate why state of origin is not used in America, it's because everyone except the natives originated from somewhere else. The Natives therefore have tribal number and reservation identity they use when filling in demographic info on applications.

In our case, Nigeria is not our origin and we are natives to lands in the country, therefore our state of origin become the native identity. Ibos want to do away with their native identity, I suggest you take this topic to Biafran forums or limit it within cultural section specific to Igbo discussions. This is not a Nigerian issue, it is Igbo ethnicity issue!

One of the reasons I became an American citizen is exactly because of this - a nation where people are not united or joined by blood or ethnicity, but by shared ideals. It is impossible in Nigeria.
Notice that the same people who accuse Igbo of being secessionists and bigots are the ones who also fear Nigerian unity the most. lol
This is the MAIN reason why MOST SENSIBLE IGBO will remain closet secessionists until the opportunity to secede shows up; and it will eventually! cool

2 Likes

Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by Nobody: 4:53am On Jun 19, 2012
Onlytruth:

[b]One of the reasons I became an American citizen is exactly because of this - a nation where people are not united or joined by blood or ethnicity, but by shared ideals. It is impossible in Nigeria.
[/b]Notice that the same people who accuse Igbo of being secessionists and bigots are the ones who also fear Nigerian unity the most. lol
This is the MAIN reason why MOST SENSIBLE IGBO will remain closet secessionists until the opportunity to secede shows up; and it will eventually! cool

This is surely a joke. OnlyTruth.

Unless you want to play ignorance to racial issue in America. c'mon!
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by Nobody: 4:57am On Jun 19, 2012
Ekiti state for life. Taking away SOO won't change a thing about ppl's mindset.

And it makes no sense to remove it because you'll need it for any data collection
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by Onlytruth(m): 5:00am On Jun 19, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

This is surely a joke. OnlyTruth.

Unless you want to play ignorance to racial issue in America. c'mon!

I don't joke about anything America.
All it takes to establish residency in some US states is just ONE YEAR of constant residency.
That is why Hilary Clinton could run for Senate position in New York, though she was from Texas and had lived long in Arkansas. Here, wherever you live and pay taxes is YOUR HOME. Period. cool

That is part of why I get very angry when people try to compare Nigeria with America.

The racial issue is ILLEGAL and attracts serious legal consequences. In Nigeria, tribalism is practiced openly. lol
So babe I'm serious. cool

1 Like

Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by Nobody: 5:06am On Jun 19, 2012
Onlytruth:

I don't joke about anything America.
All it takes to establish residency in some US states is just ONE YEAR of constant residency.
That is why Hilary Clinton could run for Senate position in New York, though she was from Texas and had lived long in Arkansas. Here, wherever you live and pay taxes is YOUR HOME. Period. cool

That is part of why I get very angry when people try to compare Nigeria with America.

The racial issue is ILLEGAL and attract serious legal consequences. In Nigeria, tribalism is practiced openly. lol
So babe I've serious. cool

Racial issue is illegal but it's still there. It's silent and it's slowing creeping about.

Race/ ethnicity unites people in America, contrary to what you claim. Minorities in America are more aware of their ethnicity more than the majority groups. Chinese bunch together, indians bunch together, whites bunch together, Latinos bunch together etc. Studies have shown that whites are more likely to give a job opening to another white, even those the white job seeker/ black job seeker have exactly the same resumee.

The only difference between America and Nigeria is that America has an official law, backed by history, to legally punish open act of racism. Hate crime and racial crimes are severely punished, even though the minorities suffer more.
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by Onlytruth(m): 5:14am On Jun 19, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Racial issue is illegal but it's still there. It's silent and it's slowing creeping about.

Race/ ethnicity unites people in America, contrary to what you claim. Minorities in America are more aware of their ethnicity more than the majority groups. Chinese bunch together, indians bunch together, whites bunch together, Latinos bunch together etc. Studies have shown that whites are more likely to give a job opening to another white, even those the white job seeker/ black job seeker have exactly the same resumee.

The only difference between America and Nigeria is that America has an official law, backed by history, to legally punish open act of racism. Hate crime and racial crimes are severely punished, even though the minorities suffer more.

The bolded is the gist. The rest are pure conjecture! hehe! cheesy cheesy

The issue is the topic of abolishing state of origin, stuff that don't exist in the US that we claim to copy.
What we have here is state of residence which is interpreted as home state. In Nigeria, we are busy lying and deceiving people there. What annoys me most is that the same people who are guilty of this evil are the ones accusing others who are most honest about the problem, calling them secessionists and bigots.
If facing the facts about Nigerian fear of unity is tantamount to bigotry, then I am a very proud bigot. cool
Either we have a country where people can live and work wherever they like, without being killed or asked to go "home", or we divide the country so that everyone will answer his father's name. It is very simple.
I honestly don't see any true child of God supporting the lie of a country called Nigeria.
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by Nobody: 5:16am On Jun 19, 2012
Onlytruth:

The bolded is the gist. The rest are pure conjecture! hehe! cheesy cheesy
The issue is the topic of abolishing state of origin, stuff that don't exist in the US that we claim to copy.
What were have here is state of residence which is interpreted as home state. In Nigeria, we are busy lying and deceiving people there. What annoys me most is that the same people who are guilty of this evil are the ones accusing others who are most honest about the problem, calling them secessionists and bigots.
If facing the facts about Nigerian fear of unity is tantamount to bigotry, then I am a very proud bigot. cool
Either we have a country where people can live and work wherever they like, without being killed or asked to go "home", or we divide the country so that everyone will answer his father's name. It is very simple.
I honestly don't see any true child of God supporting the lie of a country called Nigeria.

bolded is koko, rest is gibberish. What you fail to understand is that Nigeria's "State of Origin" might as well be America's "What's your ethnicity/race?". Both has the same power.

Either way, your point about people not being joined by ethnicity is quite a display of ignorance. No offense intended
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by Onlytruth(m): 5:24am On Jun 19, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

bolded is koko, rest is gibberish. What you fail to understand is that Nigeria's "State of Origin" might as well be America's "What's your ethnicity/race?". Both has the same power.

Either way, your point about people not being joined by ethnicity is quite a display of ignorance. No offense intended

Honestly, if we have not been deceiving ourselves by claiming to practice the US style democracy, I wouldn't have even brought the US into this discussion. How can I be comparing Aliko Dangote with a suya maker under the bridge at Agege Motor road? lol There is simply no basis for comparison. One country set out to design a NEW and UNPRECEDENTED system of democracy, and declared E Pluribus Unum (Out of many ONE), and have worked CONSTANTLY towards a perfect union, with no year passing without a solid progress being made; while another is busy lying and deceiving people year after year, with tens of thousands of her own citizens dying almost every year, and no movement forward. Nigeria today is looking like Nigeria of 1964/65 - a cool 48 years late!
So, nne please tell your people in naija to stop deceiving themselves.
Omo Ibo want out.
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by Nobody: 5:24am On Jun 19, 2012
And trust me dude, in America, they do ask for your "State of residency" which is almost "state of origin", not quite because it can change based upon how long you've lived in that state.

For example: Students who are from a different "State of Resident" pays more if they attend a college/University different from their State of Residency.
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by Onlytruth(m): 5:27am On Jun 19, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
And trust me dude, in America, they do ask for your "State of residency" which is almost "state of origin", not quite because it can change based upon how long you've lived in that state.

For example: Students who are from a different "State of Resident" pays more if they attend a college/University different from their State of Residency.

So, how does that contradict what I said?
In US, all Igbo living in Lagos today would be Lagosians. Simple.
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by Nobody: 5:27am On Jun 19, 2012
Onlytruth:

Honestly, if we have not been deceiving ourselves by claiming to practice the US style democracy, I wouldn't have even brought the US into this discussion. How can I be comparing Aliko Dangote with a suya maker under the bridge at Agege Motor road? lol There is simply no basis for comparison. One country set out to design a NEW and UNPRECEDENTED system of democracy, and declared E Pluribus Unum (Out of many ONE), and have worked CONSTANTLY towards a perfect union, with no year passing without a solid progress being made; while another is busy lying and deceiving people year after year, with tens of thousands of her own citizens dying almost every year, and no movement forward. Nigeria today is looking like Nigeria of 1964/65 - a cool 48 years late!
So, nne please tell your people in naija to stop deceiving themselves.
Omo Ibo want out.

What has this rambling got to do with me correcting your fallacy?

No head or tail.

Omo ibo -----> Exit.
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by Nobody: 5:28am On Jun 19, 2012
Onlytruth:

So, how does that contradict what I said?
In US, all Igbo living in Lagos today would be Lagosians. Simple.

Onlytruth:

One of the reasons I became an American citizen is exactly because of this - [size=18pt]a nation where people are not united or joined by blood or ethnicity, [/size]but by shared ideals. It is impossible in Nigeria.
Notice that the same people who accuse Igbo of being secessionists and bigots are the ones who also fear Nigerian unity the most. lol

So you don't even know what you were saying? shocker!

That's what i was disagreeing with, not disagreeing with your endless romance with Lagosian nationality.
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by Onlytruth(m): 5:30am On Jun 19, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

So you don't even know what you were saying? shocker!

That's what i was disagreeing with, not your endless romance with Lagosian nationality.

What are you talking about?
I mean every word I said - a nation where people are not united by blood or ethnicity, but by shared ideals- yes that is America! cool
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by Nobody: 5:33am On Jun 19, 2012
Onlytruth:

I mean every word I said - a nation where people are not united by blood or ethnicity, but by shared ideals- yes that is America! cool

I know you mean every word you say, because you're simply ignorant of the issue in America. It's the closest to Jewish blood you'll ever get huh?

OFFTOPIC, Weren't you the one excusing Israel for its mascarre of black youths on another thread?
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by Onlytruth(m): 5:35am On Jun 19, 2012
BTW Ileke, I'm working very hard to discourage as many Igbo as I can from buying land or building houses in Lagos.
I may not succeed but I damn well would try. cool
I gotten some guys to sell their uncompleted buildings in Lagos and have them buy lands in Onitsha instead.
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by Onlytruth(m): 5:37am On Jun 19, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

I know you mean every word you say, because you're simply ignorant of the issue in America. It's the closest to Jewish blood you'll ever get huh?

OFFTOPIC, Weren't you the one excusing Israel for its mascarre of black youths on another thread?

It could NEVER have been me. I am staunch opponent and critic of mass murder. I would never support mass murder by anyone in any shape or form, even in self defense.
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by Nobody: 5:40am On Jun 19, 2012
Onlytruth: BTW Ileke, I'm working very hard to discourage as many Igbo as I can from buying land or building houses in Lagos.
I may not succeed but I damn well would try. cool
I gotten some guys to sell their uncompleted buildings in Lagos and have them buy lands in Onitsha instead.

Honey, last time I checked, Ekiti blood was pumping in my veins. What has buying and not buying land in lagos got to do with me?

But thanks for the information, I'll keep it filed.

Onlytruth:

It could NEVER have been me. I am staunch opponent and critic of mass murder. I would never support mass murder by anyone in any shape or form, even in self defense.

hmm hmm.
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by DuduNegro: 6:05am On Jun 19, 2012
Onlytruth:

The Yoruba ideal is opposite the Igbo ideal. Yoruba ideal is centered on "modesty and character"! Igbo ideal is centered on "quick money by any means". Sorry, we do not share ideals and so we cannot share nativity or culture. Definitely I cannot share same state of origin with Igbo. I share ideals with Yorubas under our commonwealth and therefore what is mine is theirs and what is theirs is mine.
I am glad you see wisdom in the American ideal as the common factor for Americans. Americans don't share ideal with Mexicans, hence why they discriminate against them left and right but look the other way when a Canadian is in the country illegally.
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by belovedaja(m): 11:24am On Jun 19, 2012
If nigeria will survive and exist then state of origin must be replace with state of residence.
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by acidtalk: 12:10pm On Jun 19, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

The Yoruba ideal is opposite the Igbo ideal. Yoruba ideal is centered on "modesty and character"! Igbo ideal is centered on "quick money by any means". Sorry, we do not share ideals and so we cannot share nativity or culture. Definitely I cannot share same state of origin with Igbo. I share ideals with Yorubas under our commonwealth and therefore what is mine is theirs and what is theirs is mine.
I am glad you see wisdom in the American ideal as the common factor for Americans. Americans don't share ideal with Mexicans, hence why they discriminate against them left and right but look the other way when a Canadian is in the country illegally.

I see a whole lot of wisdom in what you have just said.

Don't you think if we remove the "state of origin" and replace it with "state of residence/birth" Nigeria will adapt with the 'unity' over time and we will start having the 'american' idea of one nation in like 50years from now?

Please enlighten me.
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by Afam4eva(m): 12:17pm On Jun 19, 2012
This country is one of confusion. You were born in Warri, you pay your bills in warri but you're not from Warri. I think this indigeneship issue should be thoroughly looked into. if we must remain as a nation then every Nigerian should have the right to indiegenes(or whatever it's gonna be called) of wherever they call home.
Re: Will Removing The "State Of Origin" From The Constitution Make Nigeria Better? by acidtalk: 2:39pm On Jun 19, 2012
afam4eva: This country is one of confusion. You were born in Warri, you pay your bills in warri but you're not from Warri. I think this indigeneship issue should be thoroughly looked into. if we must remain as a nation then every Nigerian should have the right to indiegenes(or whatever it's gonna be called) of wherever they call home.

The thing baffles me too.
You pay your taxes to a state which helps in developing that state, and yet your her denied certain benefits based on indeginship.

Nigeria needs lots of Spiritual Cleansing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How I Escaped Terrorists Bullets In Kenya’s Shopping Mall Attack – Soyinka / Kano Again!! Boko Haram Bombs Kano State Polytechnic / Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.