Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Google Buys Meebo - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Google Buys Meebo (5558 Views)

Man Buys Nokia As Iphone From Computer Vilage In Lagos (Photos) / Google Buys Motorola For $12.5billion / Google Buys Motorola Mobility For $12.5b (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Buys Meebo by JideTheBlogger(m): 9:03am On Jun 05, 2012
Google has acquired Meebo to bring more tools to Google Plus, an alternative to Facebook. The Meebo geeks will now join the Google+ team.

Meebo started as a system for connecting people by instant message but has since built other communication features used by an audience of about 100 million Web people in the U.S.

Both companies are based in Mountain View, Calif. Financial terms of the deal weren't disclosed.

"Together with Google, we're super jazzed to roll up our sleeves and get cracking on even bigger and better ways to help users and website owners alike," Meebo wrote in a Monday blog post.

Nice move ??

Source: http://blog.meebo.com/?p=4974
Re: Google Buys Meebo by miteolu(m): 9:14am On Jun 05, 2012
Where is yahoo?
Re: Google Buys Meebo by wandeay: 9:17am On Jun 05, 2012
nice one, google rules d world of internet
Re: Google Buys Meebo by lifestyle1(m): 9:22am On Jun 05, 2012
Google will soon buy the whole world... undecided
Re: Google Buys Meebo by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 05, 2012
cant wait to see what that will culminate into.
Re: Google Buys Meebo by ZUBY77(m): 9:40am On Jun 05, 2012
The only way google can sway me away from facebook to google+ is only if they buy facebook too. I have spent a lot of time and data money building my facebook account and will not just abandon it to start buildng a new one on google+ . I dey craze?

5 Likes

Re: Google Buys Meebo by Nobody: 9:48am On Jun 05, 2012
life_style: Google will soon buy the whole world... undecided
lol
Re: Google Buys Meebo by Oluwa4Sure: 9:49am On Jun 05, 2012
ZUBY77: The only way google can sway me away from facebook to google+ is only if they buy facebook too. I have spent a lot of time and data money building my facebook account and will not just abandon it to start buildng a new one on google+ . I dey craze?

By the time other people abandon you there, and only still dey there dey chat with yourself, you go know say you truly dey craze!!!!

6 Likes

Re: Google Buys Meebo by Nobody: 10:01am On Jun 05, 2012
'Big G' would stop at nothing to positioning Google+ in the mainstream of Social Networking, but can they ever match the reach and possibility of Facebook and Twitter?
Re: Google Buys Meebo by dmainboss: 10:04am On Jun 05, 2012
ZUBY77: The only way google can sway me away from facebook to google+ is only if they buy facebook too. I have spent a lot of time and data money building my facebook account and will not just abandon it to start buildng a new one on google+ . I dey craze?

I like facebook but honestly I think they will die a natural death except they somehow pull out a rabbit from the hat. The big difference between google and facebook is vision. Google can see the future very clearly, facebook cannot. Facebook is trying to sell hype.

Mobile devices and platforms are the future. Facebook is conceptualized around web pages, google is conceptualized around providing services. In the future of mobile devices, what will be important will be services, not web pages. In that future, facebook will end up as one more app on your phone or device. It will not even stand out. That's why twitter is a smarter alternative. In that future, your fancy facebook page will not matter much. What will matter will be the content you provide and the value you add. Right now on my android, I access CNN and BBC on their respective apps, not from a browser. That's the future bro and Google knows. Facebook is getting a wind of it, that's why they are planning to do a facebook phone but I think they might have come to the party a bit late.

3 Likes

Re: Google Buys Meebo by WhoIGoAsk: 10:17am On Jun 05, 2012
nice move
Re: Google Buys Meebo by globalwaly(m): 10:17am On Jun 05, 2012
Google own the net, they will all keep following google
Re: Google Buys Meebo by WhoIGoAsk: 10:18am On Jun 05, 2012
What's new from yahoo
Re: Google Buys Meebo by zangiff(m): 10:27am On Jun 05, 2012
Too much money.big G
Re: Google Buys Meebo by bonetalk(m): 10:28am On Jun 05, 2012
I want someone to put me through on this google+, i want to be on it. Google remains the B£$T to me.
Re: Google Buys Meebo by bonetalk(m): 10:29am On Jun 05, 2012
Internet is nothing without google.
Re: Google Buys Meebo by Nobody: 10:36am On Jun 05, 2012
dmainboss:

I like facebook but honestly I think they will die a natural death except they somehow pull out a rabbit from the hat. The big difference between google and facebook is vision. Google can see the future very clearly, facebook cannot. Facebook is trying to sell hype.

Mobile devices and platforms are the future. Facebook is conceptualized around web pages, google is conceptualized around providing services. In the future of mobile devices, what will be important will be services, not web pages. In that future, facebook will end up as one more app on your phone or device. It will not even stand out. That's why twitter is a smarter alternative. In that future, your fancy facebook page will not matter much. What will matter will be the content you provide and the value you add. Right now on my android, I access CNN and BBC on their respective apps, not from a browser. That's the future bro and Google knows. Facebook is getting a wind of it, that's why they are planning to do a facebook phone but I think they might have come to the party a bit late.

Good point. But while Google dreams of a future where everybody comes to them for information, Facebook dreams of a future where every body goes to somebody, a group or a page they trust for information. Google is aiming at being autocratic while selling an "open world' phenomenon while Facebook is being demovratic and actually enabling an open world. At this point we cannot say who will win. Both companies have vision. It's because of facebook's vision of an interconnected world anyway that got almighty Google thinking in that direction.

Likewise, with Google's success on mobile, Facebook is right at its tail too. Facebook is going mobile, and also considering a browser. Some people think Facebook is making a mistake but I guess they said the same when Google ventured into the mobile market.

Links;

The Facebook Phone: It’s Finally Real and Its Name Is Buffy
http://allthingsd.com/20111121/the-facebook-phone-its-finally-real-and-its-name-is-buffy/

Facebook in talks to buy Opera, may pay over $1 billion
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/facebook-may-pay-over-1-bn-to-buy-opera/262655-11.html

1 Like

Re: Google Buys Meebo by kennidiamo: 11:22am On Jun 05, 2012
GBENGA_bonetalk: I want someone to put me through on this google+, i want to be on it. Google remains the B£$T to me.

YOU MUST BE A KID.GO ONLINE AND READ ABOUT IT

1 Like

Re: Google Buys Meebo by Afam4eva(m): 11:29am On Jun 05, 2012
Has anyone tasted "Google biscuits"?

Google is on the verge of colonizing the internet. Very soon the internet will be known as "Google".
Re: Google Buys Meebo by Seun(m): 11:39am On Jun 05, 2012
eezeebone: Good point. But while Google dreams of a future where everybody comes to them for information, Facebook dreams of a future where every body goes to somebody, a group or a page they trust for information. Google is aiming at being autocratic while selling an "open world' phenomenon while Facebook is being demovratic and actually enabling an open world. At this point we cannot say who will win. Both companies have vision. It's because of facebook's vision of an interconnected world anyway that got almighty Google thinking in that direction.
No offence intended, but this is nonsense. Google is as "democratic" as Facebook. In fact, it's more democratic because it allows you to get information from the best source regardless of whether the source is somehow "related" to you or not. Using the social graph for search is foolishness. When I want information about something important, I want the best information in the world. I don't want the best information in my circle of friends; if I did, I would just ask them directly. My friends are not experts on every topic, and even where they are experts, there are people out there who know better than them. Google helps me to find the best sources of info.

3 Likes

Re: Google Buys Meebo by kadeerna: 12:08pm On Jun 05, 2012
Seun:
No offence intended, but this is nonsense. Google is as "democratic" as Facebook. In fact, it's more democratic because it allows you to get information from the best source regardless of whether the source is somehow "related" to you or not. Using the social graph for search is foolishness. When I want information about something important, I want the best information in the world. I don't want the best information in my circle of friends; if I did, I would just ask them directly. My friends are not experts on every topic, and even where they are experts, there are people out there who know better than them. Google helps me to find the best sources of info.

@seun
But judging by recent moves at integration G+ into Search, and mightily cross licensing all Google products mean they understand the Facebook vision of going to your circle of friends first for results and then the rest of the world for everything else. Your friends may not be experts on every topic, but the trust element in social is embedded in the very fabric of mankind that any technology which relegates it to the background will simply loose to automated non-social technologies.

Lets not forget how much Google would kill to put a +1 on any and anything.

1 Like

Re: Google Buys Meebo by Wisdytech(m): 12:08pm On Jun 05, 2012
GOOGLE IS OLD/NEW INTERNET KING!
Re: Google Buys Meebo by edicolove: 12:09pm On Jun 05, 2012
Seun:

Brilliant point and just to add:

Google is a hydra. A monster with many heads. Only youtube alone is enough headache for facebook. Don't even talk about search, docs, analytics, android, maps, haba! Its a no contest.

The problem with facebook for me is Zukerberg himself. He still sees facebook as a havard fantasy. He has refused to graduate into the real world. In the real world, people will not pay hard money for gossip. Twitter has already surpassed facebook as the tool of choice for serious stuff. You have to understand Google's strategy and if you do, you will remove your hat for them. Even microsoft don't know how to tackle them. Mark my words, Google will kill microsoft eventually. Why? Because, the future is mobile, not desktop and laptop. The future is with pads and right now, Google owns pads. But most importantly, the effectiveness, productivity and brilliant connectivity of Google services is the masterstroke!

2 Likes

Re: Google Buys Meebo by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jun 05, 2012
I don`t really know about google being autocratic but one thing i know is that Larry page is really loosing his sleep over Facebook and he will stop at nothing to see that Facebook doesn`t take over the internet. Unfortunately, thats exactly where Mark is driving at but it seems Facebook is loosing its grip ön that at the moment because the future of the internet is nö longer web based.
Re: Google Buys Meebo by Afam4eva(m): 12:28pm On Jun 05, 2012
Brand_new: I don`t really know about google being autocratic but know thing i know is that Larry page is really loosing his sleep over Facebook and he will stop at nothing to see that Facebook doesn`t take over the internet. Unfortunately, thats exactly where Mark is driving at but it seems Facebook is loosing its grip ön that at the moment because the future of the internet is nö longer web based.
No, that's the finniest thing that i've read this month. Facebook is not even in a position that affords them the opportunity to take over the internet. facebook is a product while Google is an industry. So, there's no basis of comparison.
Re: Google Buys Meebo by mrperfect(m): 12:28pm On Jun 05, 2012
That is good for google.
Re: Google Buys Meebo by ebamma(m): 12:32pm On Jun 05, 2012
goggle is more important to me than facebook,with the help of goggle i can easily detect some fraud sites,and with goggle's help i can easily do my assignments,facebook to me is just for time pass.
Re: Google Buys Meebo by Peterwins(m): 4:29pm On Jun 05, 2012
Do people realise what this phrase means, "...just Google it...". In fact Google's vision and activities are beyond the internet. I am talking/typing too much...., just Google it.
Re: Google Buys Meebo by Ajibel(m): 5:58pm On Jun 05, 2012
Google would soon google-ize the world. I pity upcoming start-ups because when they start making it, google mgt would come and buy it which is not fair to me. They should allow a moderate competition to exist and come up with theirs. Anyway, good move. I doubt Facebook would still be popular in the next 10 years, ask Myspace!
Re: Google Buys Meebo by Afam4eva(m): 6:04pm On Jun 05, 2012
Ajibel: Google would soon google-ize the world. I pity upcoming start-ups because when they start making it, google mgt would come and buy it which is not fair to me. They should allow a moderate competition to exist and come up with theirs. Anyway, good move. I doubt Facebook would still be popular in the next 10 years, ask Myspace!
The bolded really cracked me up.

1 Like

Re: Google Buys Meebo by noOnelikeM: 7:06pm On Jun 05, 2012
I don't think you lads understand why Facebook and Google are worth billions of dollars.
Its not the information and service it provides, Wikipedia provides serious info too,i dont think there is anything google does that others dont do,tho google is the best at what it does. But Its advertisement advertisement advertisement. Google is the biggest advertisement company in the World. Bigger than the world renown WPP and Google is be pretty scared of Facebook and it should be.
Facebook is an advertisers wet dream. I mean if i was selling IVF treatment, on Facebook it can be targeted to women between the ages of 25-60, probably well off and have shown interest in this treatment. i mean isn't that amazing. I will definitely pay a premium for that kind of advert. Google cant provide that service.
Re: Google Buys Meebo by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jun 05, 2012
noOnelikeM: I don't think you lads understand why Facebook and Google are worth billions of dollars.
Its not the information and service it provides, Wikipedia provides serious info too,i dont think there is anything google does that others dont do,tho google is the best at what it does. But Its advertisement advertisement advertisement. Google is the biggest advertisement company in the World. Bigger than the world renown WPP and Google is be pretty scared of Facebook and it should be.
Facebook is an advertisers wet dream. I mean if i was selling IVF treatment, on Facebook it can be targeted to women between the ages of 25-60, probably well off and have shown interest in this treatment. i mean isn't that amazing. I will definitely pay a premium for that kind of advert. Google cant provide that service.

Point well understood, Facebook puts the targetted in targetted advertising... and that's why i said Google is lagging behind. Whoever says Zuckerberg still treats Facebook as a dorm room fantasy is far from current. That dude changed the way the whole world interacts. He's equally as visionary as Google.

Seun:

Unfortunately i disagree, Google basically started with providing services which you pay for. Facebook is on their tails with advertising, he's just not as hungry yet. But you have to agree that Google is driving its nuts hard to get that relationship thing going. Not yet there. Many Googlers have left of recent stating that the Google guys are obsessed about beating Facebook at its game. Facebook is a game changer, has altered the course of human communication entirely. Google may have created online business models but Facebook put the social in social media... and while Google is the one stop shop for search, people spend more computing time on Facebook. Hence Android model,... push out a cheap software and make people use your products which you brandish in their faces. Watch out, Facebook has a plan too.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My New Infinix Hot Note Is Hanging Guys...help / Airtel Smart TRYBE Night Plan / The Future Is Here! Xiaomi Blows The World Away With Mi Max Alpha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.