Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,863 members, 7,821,011 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy (23562 Views)

Teenage Pregnancy; Any Benefit? / Teenage Pregnancy: Who Is To Blame ; Parents Or Society? / Teenage Pregnancy!!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by beblessed(f): 7:39pm On Jun 06, 2012
I called my female cousin this morning and was informed she just put 2 bed her fourth child. She is now happily married 2 her childhood sweetheart who put her in the family way about fifteen years ago. When it happened, hell was let loose and infact she was disowned by family members. Only a distant childless aunt nurse her and a baby until she was sent 2 husband's mum. My cousin suffered hardship. The gist is that life has turned better for her and she is doing so well wit her husband,whereas some of us who made mockery of her condition are yet 2 settle down! Am happy she did not abort her now beautiful daugther. How do we make life easy 4 pregnant teenagers, especially in our culture n family?

3 Likes

Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by ifyalways(f): 10:22pm On Jun 06, 2012
Pro choice for lyfe.I'll start by giving and teaching her how to use a condom.
@Topic,parents especially moms would do well to maintain a very healthy,free and open relationship with their daughters.A girl,no matter what she has done that enjoys a good rapport with the mom would confide in her mom as opposed to peers who might lead her to the abortion table.

Pregnancy is not a sin,illegal fvcking/fornication is.

4 Likes

Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by taryour(f): 10:51pm On Jun 06, 2012
A very nice thread,am looking foward to learning from dis topic.

1 Like

Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by jmoore(m): 3:47pm On Jun 07, 2012
ifyalways:
Pregnancy is not a sin,illegal fvcking/fornication is.

Good to hear you say that. I was having a chat with a girl on a social website recently,she came looking for advice in a chat room. She is 16 years old and pregnant. She has not told her parents about it, she said she is afraid to tell them. I have told her to find a close relative who will do it for her so she can be defended if the parents want to beat her.
Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jun 07, 2012
i'm not pro-life...
God forbid but if my daughter got pregnant as a teen she will certainly not be keeping the baby.

1 Like

Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by Fhemmmy: 8:43pm On Jun 07, 2012
I think will be nice to know what was the age of the girl when she was "put the family way" . . . Cos that will put a lot things into perspectives.

1 Like

Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by Fhemmmy: 8:44pm On Jun 07, 2012
davidylan: i'm not pro-life...
God forbid but if my daughter got pregnant as a teen she will certainly not be keeping the baby.

I do feel you, but it is not for you to decide if she has the baby or not, except if she is still like 12 years of age . . . cool

1 Like

Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by cindylee: 8:46pm On Jun 07, 2012
If my teenage daughter gets pregnant, of course I will feel disappointed and mad at her but she must give birth to that baby. I will keep the child while she continues her life in either secondary or univerity.

She might lose one year or two but she must definitely go back to school. I am prolife except when the child poses a life threat to the mother before the pregnancy can be terminated.

4 Likes

Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by Fhemmmy: 8:47pm On Jun 07, 2012
cindylee: If my teenage daughter gets pregnant, of course I will feel disappointed and mad at her but she must give birth to that baby. I will keep the child while she continues her life in either secondary or univerity.

She might lose one year or two but she must definitely go back to school. I am prolife except when the child poses a life threat to the mother before the pregnancy can be terminated.

That is what i called tough love, but what while back to her life, she get belle again?

1 Like

Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by member479760: 8:50pm On Jun 07, 2012
cindylee: If my teenage daughter gets pregnant, of course I will feel disappointed and mad at her but she must give birth to that baby. I will keep the child while she continues her life in either secondary or univerity.

God bless you! correct thinking!
Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by BUSHMAN1: 8:51pm On Jun 07, 2012
maybe young girls shouldnt be sleeping around, then they wont get pregnant!! if you are young enough to have sex, you are young enough to get pregnant!! full stop!

2 Likes

Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by cindylee: 8:52pm On Jun 07, 2012
@Fhemmmy I would have given her serious education and told her how disappointed I feel in the first place. In short the first pregnancy should have been a mistake because I as a mum would give her sex education and all sorts so the pregnancy might have been a mistake which could happen to anyone.

I am very sure there won't be a second time. I am not senseless neither is my husband so we can't have a senseless daughter.

1 Like

Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by Kaylee1: 8:55pm On Jun 07, 2012

So what would you rather have her do? Abort it? Isn't that a greater sin in itself?

1 Like

Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by Fhemmmy: 8:56pm On Jun 07, 2012
cindylee: @Fhemmmy I would have given her serious education and told her how disappointed I feel in the first place. In short the first pregnancy should have been a mistake because I as a mum would give her sex education and all sorts so the pregnancy might have been a mistake which could happen to anyone.

I am very sure there won't be a second time. I am not senseless neither is my husband so we can't have a senseless daughter.

That is fair . . . .
Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jun 07, 2012
Teenage pregnancy should be outlawed in a country like Nigeria..

The teenage pregnancy epidemic in a country like UK, led to a generation of wasted youths - with single mums everywhere..

I'm pro-life but not pro-stupidity.

If you are not matured enough, and financial stable to bring kids into this world - use a condom, or stay celibate..

2 Likes

Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by armyofone(m): 9:02pm On Jun 07, 2012
boy/girls should be close to their parents enough to share such life turning circumstance.

it is sad that girls are left alone to carry the headache.

I don't know what I will do in such situation. But I think as long as she wasn't raped, I will go through it all with her.
Born finish and oya go back to school. me and the boy parents will be playing mommys.
Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jun 07, 2012
bros u harsh o! abeg take am easy.the deed has been done already. aborting the foetus wont stop ur daughter from opening her legs for anoda spoonful of sperm fertlizing her egg again.
Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by BecaciaBarbie(f): 9:06pm On Jun 07, 2012
This is typical nonsense! She is only lucky to b happy now..90per of teenage mothers dnt get to b dis lucky! Infact i wudnt say she is lucky, cuz d fact dat she is married now doesnt mean she hs achieved her own goals in life! It is not advisable to be a teenage mother, its a big shame cuz ow can u bring a child dt u aint ready to give d best to into d world, there by making d child suffer bcuz of ur silly mistake...u shudnt encourage dis, it shud b discouraged! I dont pray for such.... I wana have a child wen i kno dat i can give d best to him/her such as sound edu, nice nd comfortable home, loving father, peaceful enviroment nd so many other things! Teenage pregnancy shud b discouraged, infact wts bad in stayin a virgin til u get married?? Fornicating itself is a grt sin in d sight of God...it distance u away frm Him! Stay away frm fornications for some time nd u will b so suprised at d way things are gna improve for ya! I can prove dat to u frm xperience...

8 Likes

Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by Sanguine77(m): 9:06pm On Jun 07, 2012
Most of you are talking for talking sake except you are from the South-South or Yoruba where pregnancy outside wedlock can be condoned. I am presently in Cross River where one of my students (16yrs)an SS1 student recently took in and was quietly sent to the boy responsible without any fuss. The truth is that immorality and promiscuity should not be tolerated. If my daughter who is a teen gets pregnant, I will certainly disown her; no mercy.
You wanna know why?

4 Likes

Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by Sagamite(m): 9:08pm On Jun 07, 2012
beblessed: I called my female cousin this morning and was informed she just put 2 bed her fourth child. She is now happily married 2 her childhood sweetheart who put her in the family way about fifteen years ago. When it happened, hell was let loose and infact she was disowned by family members. Only a distant childless aunt nurse her and a baby until she was sent 2 husband's mum. My cousin suffered hardship. The gist is that life has turned better for her and she is doing so well wit her husband,whereas some of us who made mockery of her condition are yet 2 settle down! Am happy she did not abort her now beautiful daugther. How do we make life easy 4 pregnant teenagers, especially in our culture n family?

What utter rubbish!

We should use one case to shape our perception of an obvious regression to socially "acceptable" and "embraceable"?

3 Likes

Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by armyofone(m): 9:09pm On Jun 07, 2012
@ San abover me,
why disown her?
Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by Kaylee1: 9:10pm On Jun 07, 2012
shymmex: Teenage pregnancy should be outlawed in a country like Nigeria..

The teenage pregnancy epidemic in a country like UK, led to a generation of wasted youths - with single mums everywhere..

If you are not matured enough, and financial stable to bring kids into this world - use a condom, or stay celibate..

I am struggling to understand the emboldened. By saying it should be outlawed, what exactly do you mean? Are you inferring that punitive measures should be taken against anyone who gets pregnant during [her] teenage years?
Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jun 07, 2012
~Kaylee~:

So what would you rather have her do? Abort it? Isn't that a greater sin in itself?

No sin is greater than the other. She will have to abort period. My daughter may have made a mistake but unfortunately she will be the one to bear the burden for life. the dude can disappear and have a nice life. who is going to babysit the child while my daughter goes to school? My wife? E no go happen oh.

2 Likes

Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by Kaylee1: 9:11pm On Jun 07, 2012
Sanguine77: Most of you are talking for talking sake except you are from the South-South or Yoruba where pregnancy outside wedlock can be condoned. I am presently in Cross River where one of my students (16yrs)an SS1 student recently took in and was quietly sent to the boy responsible without any fuss. The truth is that immorality and promiscuity should not be tolerated. If my daughter who is a teen gets pregnant, I will certainly disown her; no mercy.
You wanna know why?

Yes please.
Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by armyofone(m): 9:11pm On Jun 07, 2012
i guess he said that cuz Nigeria can't afford another mouth to feed undecided

~Kaylee~:

I am struggling to understand the emboldened. By saying it should be outlawed, what exactly do you mean? Are you inferring that punitive measures should be taken against anyone who gets pregnant during [her] teenage years?
Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by cindylee: 9:11pm On Jun 07, 2012
shymmex: Teenage pregnancy should be outlawed in a country like Nigeria..

I think I like this. A law should be passed that if you are not able financially to take care of a baby then don't bring one into this world. If you do, you should pay the government a certain amount of money. At least this should bring the incidence low but may not totally eradicate it.and I mean both the guy and the girl and not just the girl alone.

At least one party should be able to fully cater for the child. Just a thought though in agreement with the above poster since parents can no longer take care of their children and leave them in care of government, househelps and schools, then let the government start regulating people's lives
Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jun 07, 2012
Pregnancy and marriage are much less important that the career she can make for herself, so she should get rid of it! undecided
Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jun 07, 2012
berem: bros u harsh o! abeg take am easy.the deed has been done already. aborting the foetus wont stop ur daughter from opening her legs for anoda spoonful of sperm fertlizing her egg again.

no problem, na that day she go understand her papa well. I dated a single mom once and my dear, i shed tears for her child... it is NOT good to be born to a mother that was not prepared for you and a father who basically doesnt care whether you exist or not. It is better for the child to be aborted than to have to suffer terribly.

2 Likes

Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by monsuruad(m): 9:15pm On Jun 07, 2012
noooooo, it should be legalised. It shows the level of poverty in our community
Re: Our Attitude Towards Teenage Pregnancy by solomon111(m): 9:16pm On Jun 07, 2012
And you call yourself a child of God in the religious threads!
SMH.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Nigerian woman cries out for help after Swedish Govt. took her kids from her / One man, One wife / Husband Sues Wife For Allegedly Getting Pregnant For Another Man Twice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.