Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,296 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:16 AM

Atheists Are Winning? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists Are Winning? (2019 Views)

All Atheists Are Satanists / Atheists Are More "Moral" Than Christians/muslims (the Evidence). Do You Accept? / All Atheists Are Evil According To Image123! Christians, Defend Your Bros! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheists Are Winning? by logicboy: 5:43pm On Jun 08, 2012
I onestly think that atheists have the upper hand here on Nairaland religion section.

Let's review the evidence

-A Nairaland poll was asking if the bible degrades women and 73% said yes https://www.nairaland.com/929422/stand-women-bible/5
-At any time, the top 5 threads on Nairaland religion section will have at least on thread question God's existence or authority
-Churches are getting lambasted and criticized for their evils from left and right
-Threads on the recent Dana aeroplane crash contain many comments on God not stopping the crash, criticizing christians for only praying for dead chrisian passengers and critizing pastors claiming that they prophesied the crash.

Some of these points are not totally directly from atheism but they sure are in the atheists favour. Dont you love it when the internet destroys religion?

Oh, wait? You want me to talk about the muslims? Isnt it proof enough that they were debunked that they ran to their cowardly section?
Re: Atheists Are Winning? by TheArbiter: 7:20pm On Jun 08, 2012
One little victory for the godless.

Now can we have a cure for all (or even some) the world's ills since atheists have identified the problem with humanity.

Any solution particular to Nigeria devoid of emotions and rooted in logic would be highly welcome.
Re: Atheists Are Winning? by logicboy: 7:30pm On Jun 08, 2012
The Arbiter: One little victory for the godless.

Now can we have a cure for all (or even some) the world's ills since atheists have identified the problem with humanity.

Any solution particular to Nigeria devoid of emotions and rooted in logic would be highly welcome.

Are you being sarcastic?
Re: Atheists Are Winning? by Zi: 7:35pm On Jun 08, 2012
I now understand why you always come out here on NL to spew trash. The reason is that you have seen those religious threads and responses as a contest; who wins and who loses. So u could feel like an e-warrior! Yet, people like you are so scared of death not even to discuss it! Yes, my last NL thread.

My dear, life is not always about who wins or who does not. Besides, some of us see no reason why we should argue with people who have decided to believe what suits them. Argument does not make wrong right and vice versa. So we leave eternity to tell!
Re: Atheists Are Winning? by logicboy: 7:54pm On Jun 08, 2012
Zi: I now understand why you always come out here on NL to spew trash. The reason is that you have seen those religious threads and responses as a contest; who wins and who loses. So u could feel like an e-warrior! Yet, people like you are so scared of death not even to discuss it! Yes, my last NL thread.

My dear, life is not always about who wins or who does not. Besides, some of us see no reason why we should argue with people who have decided to believe what suits them. Argument does not make wrong right and vice versa. So we leave eternity to tell!

Mr Self Righteous!

Why dont you shut up and use your brain before acting all holy up in here! I do not see it as a contest. The internet always destroys religion. Always.

I dont know how you can read my mind. I wonder how you can conclude that I feel like an e-warrior. Nairaland religion section for me is just argument. I like to argue. Nothing more.
Re: Atheists Are Winning? by Zi: 10:39pm On Jun 08, 2012
logicboy:

Mr Self Righteous!

Why dont you shut up and use your brain before acting all holy up in here! I do not see it as a contest. The internet always destroys religion. Always.

I dont know how you can read my mind. I wonder how you can conclude that I feel like an e-warrior. Nairaland religion section for me is just argument. I like to argue. Nothing more.

See, you fight on default. You didn't even cool down to find out that I am a female. Did I use abusive words on you? Why can't you engage in a simple dialogue without going abusive? 'You like to argue' and therefore anbody who chooses not to is loosing? cheesy
I see how your logic works! cheesy cool

1 Like

Re: Atheists Are Winning? by logicboy: 11:09pm On Jun 08, 2012
Zi:

See, you fight on default. You didn't even cool down to find out that I am a female. Did I use abusive words on you? Why can't you engage in a simple dialogue without going abusive? 'You like to argue' and therefore anbody who chooses not to is loosing? cheesy
I see how your logic works! cheesy cool

What abusive word did I use? "self-righteous"??

You called me an e-warrior as well.

Being female doesnt excuse you from a smackdown.

If you wanted a simple dialogue you should have started with questions or simple statements and not wild accusations of "e-warrior contests"
Re: Atheists Are Winning? by Zi: 11:32pm On Jun 08, 2012
logicboy:

What abusive word did I use? "self-righteous"??

You called me an e-warrior as well.

Being female doesnt excuse you from a smackdown.

If you wanted a simple dialogue you should have started with questions or simple statements and not wild accusations of "e-warrior contests"

'e-warrior' bites? Eiyaaaa
Sir, I don't share your hobby; argument, because I know better cheesy but I won't deprive you of what you enjoy. So feel free, take up the whole internet space, argue as much as you wish (it doesn't change the truth, anyway), employ all your logical senses so u can 'WIN' but don't expect another response from me. wink
Bye
Re: Atheists Are Winning? by dorox(m): 12:01am On Jun 09, 2012
Zi:

'e-warrior' bites? Eiyaaaa
Sir, I don't share your hobby; argument, because I know better cheesy but I won't deprive you of what you enjoy. So feel free, take up the whole internet space, argue as much as you wish (it doesn't change the truth, anyway), employ all your logical senses so u can 'WIN' but don't expect another response from me. wink
Bye
A very cowardly retreat you should have simply apologized for your bitchy attack and gracefully said your goodbye.
Re: Atheists Are Winning? by Niflheim(m): 12:02am On Jun 09, 2012
@logic boy,do not mind her because she obviously has nothing to say,the atheists will always rule over the christians just like during the black death in europe,the pastors said that the world had come to an end but it was atheist scientists who saved the day!!!
Re: Atheists Are Winning? by logicboy: 12:06am On Jun 09, 2012
Niflheim: @logic boy,do not mind her because she obviously has nothing to say,the atheists will always rule over the christians just like during the black death in europe,the pastors said that the world had come to an end but it was atheist scientists who saved the day!!!

That is a good question.

During the black death; preachers were claiming demons and evil for diseases. Why did they not claim the same when it was swine flu? See people rushing for vaccinations and flu drugs. Was it not science that changed their disease preaching?
Re: Atheists Are Winning? by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:11am On Jun 09, 2012
What a childish article. Why are you always so concerned with who is "winning" like you're in some playground competition? I'm not even religious but I find it rather irksome, the way you go about your business on this forum. And you somehow live in the delusion that your status as an atheist confers some exclusive genius tag on you which puts you above any religious person. Act with a little regard and dignity.

Everytime I come on here, you're having some juvenile back-and-forth with someone talking about "destroying" or "smacking down" someone's argument. You can express your contrary views without being obnoxious.
logicboy: I onestly think that atheists have the upper hand here on Nairaland religion section.

Let's review the evidence

-A Nairaland poll was asking if the bible degrades women and 73% said yes https://www.nairaland.com/929422/stand-women-bible/5
-At any time, the top 5 threads on Nairaland religion section will have at least on thread question God's existence or authority
-Churches are getting lambasted and criticized for their evils from left and right
-Threads on the recent Dana aeroplane crash contain many comments on God not stopping the crash, criticizing christians for only praying for dead chrisian passengers and critizing pastors claiming that they prophesied the crash.

Some of these points are not totally directly from atheism but they sure are in the atheists favour. Dont you love it when the internet destroys religion?

Oh, wait? You want me to talk about the muslims? Isnt it proof enough that they were debunked that they ran to their cowardly section?
Re: Atheists Are Winning? by logicboy: 12:17am On Jun 09, 2012
Obi1kenobi: What a childish article. Why are you always so concerned with who is "winning" like you're in some playground competition? I'm not even religious but I find it rather irksome, the way you go about your business on this forum. And you somehow live in the delusion that your status as an atheist confers some exclusive genius tag on you which puts you above any religious person. Act with a little regard and dignity.

Everytime I come on here, you're having some juvenile back-and-forth with someone talking about. " Destroying" or "smacking down" someone's argument. You can express your contrary views without being obnoxious.

Wow, you are so mature, arent you?

Is that your big boy user name? "Obi1kenobi"? No sir, you dont sound like a star wars freak.

Saracsm aside, arguing is fun for me. That is why I joke around. Destroying" and "smackdown" are just two terms I use for comedic effects. I have never said or implied that I am smarter than religious people. Never.

Save your self-righteous BS for someone who gives a S***
Re: Atheists Are Winning? by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:33am On Jun 09, 2012
logicboy:

Wow, you are so mature, arent you?

Is that your big boy user name? "Obi1kenobi"? No sir, you dont sound like a star wars freak.

Saracsm aside, arguing is fun for me. That is why I joke around. Destroying" and "smackdown" are just two terms I use for comedic effects. I have never said or implied that I am smarter than religious people. Never.

Save your self-righteous BS for someone who gives a S***

What does my moniker have to do with maturity? It also has nothing to do with Star Wars (which I never even liked or followed) and any allusions to it are purely coincidental. You post like an excitable child, hopping around here picking pointless "debates". And several of your comments follow a syllogic pattern that suggests an illusion of superiority due to your beliefs.
Re: Atheists Are Winning? by logicboy: 12:42am On Jun 09, 2012
Obi1kenobi:

What does my moniker have to do with maturity? It also has nothing to do with Star Wars (which I never even liked or followed) and any allusions to it are purely coincidental. You post like an excitable child, hopping around here picking pointless "debates". And several of your comments follow a syllogic pattern that suggests an [b]illusion of superiority [/b]due to your beliefs.

Hehehe.....so it has resulted to big grammar now! See me see trouble!

There is only on Obi wan Kenobi and he is in star wars. It is only ignorance that would make you claim that your username has nothing to do with Star Wars.

Dont you feel like a hypocrite? You claim that I act like I am superior, then you keep telling me that I am childish (twice)?
Re: Atheists Are Winning? by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:43am On Jun 09, 2012
logicboy:

Hehehe.....so it has resulted to big grammar now! See me see trouble!

There is only on Obi wan Kenobi and he is in star wars. It is only ignorance that would make you claim that your username has nothing to do with Star Wars.

Dont you feel like a hypocrite? You claim that I act like I am superior, then you keep telling me that I am childish (twice)?

Again, my moniker isn't an issue and suggests nothing about me. I owe you no explanation about its origin and it has nothing to do with Star Wars. Claiming I'm ignorant for refuting your version of my moniker's origin is as daft as me claiming your moniker is named after electrical/electronic logic circuits and calling you ignorant for denying it. If you found the grammar "big", it's your problem. I've used the terms that come to mind for what I was looking to articulate.

My calling your posts "juvenile" or "childish" is no hypocrisy. They're simply childish. If you had a bad odour and I told you so, it doesn't make me a hypocrite for pointing it out.
Re: Atheists Are Winning? by logicboy: 1:53am On Jun 09, 2012
Obi1kenobi:
Again, my moniker isn't an issue and suggests nothing about me. I owe you no explanation about its origin and it has nothing to do with Star Wars. Claiming I'm ignorant for refuting your version of my moniker's origin is as daft as me claiming your moniker is named after electrical/electronic logic circuits and calling you ignorant for denying it. If you found the grammar "big", it's your problem. I've used the terms that come to mind for what I was looking to articulate.

My calling your posts "juvenile" or "childish" is no hypocrisy. They're simply childish. If you had a bad odour and I told you so, it doesn't make me a hypocrite for pointing it out.

Denial! It is like naming your child Jesus and then saying that the origin is not from the bible. You might not be a christian but the origin is the bible as that is the first Jesus we know. Obi wan Kenobi in Star Wars is the first and only Obi Wan Kenobi that people know.

Fruthermore, I am not childish. I'm a bit aggressive but not childish. Get a life bro. Your hypocrisy stinks
Re: Atheists Are Winning? by logicboy: 3:13pm On Jun 10, 2012

Atheism To Defeat Religion By 2038
Countries with the best standard of living are turning atheist. That shift offers a glimpse into the world's future.

Religious people are annoyed by claims that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

The view that religious belief will give way to atheism is known as the secularization thesis. The specific version that I favor (1) is known as the existential security hypothesis. The basic idea is that as people become more affluent, they are less worried about lacking for basic necessities, or dying early from violence or disease. In other words they are secure in their own existence. They do not feel the need to appeal to supernatural entities to calm their fears and insecurities.

The notion that improving living conditions are associated with a decline in religion is supported by a mountain of evidence (1,2,3).

That does not prevent some serious scholars, like political scientist Eric Kaufmann (4), from making the opposite case that religious fundamentalists will outbreed the rest of us. Yet, noisy as they can be, such groups are tiny minorities of the global population and they will become even more marginalized as global prosperity increases and standards of living improve.

Moreover, as religious fundamentalists become economically integrated, young women go to work and produce smaller families, as is currently happening for Utah's Mormons.

The most obvious approach to estimating when the world will switch over to being majority atheist is based on economic growth. This is logical because economic development is the key factor responsible for secularization. In deriving this estimate, I used the nine most godless countries as my touchstone (excluding Estonia as a formerly communist country).

The countries were Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Japan, Netherlands, Sweden and the United Kingdom. These nine countries averaged out at the atheist transition in 2004 (5) with exactly half of the populations disbelieving in God. Their gross domestic product (GDP) averaged $29,822 compared to $10,855 for the average country in the world. How long will it take before the world economy has expanded sufficiently that the GDP of the average country has caught up to the average for the godless countries in 2004?

Using the average global growth rate of GDP for the past 30 years of 3.33 percent (based on International Monetary Fund data from their website), the atheist transition would occur in 2035.

Belief in God is not the only relevant measure of religion, of course. A person might believe in God in a fairly superficial way without religion affecting his or her daily life. One way of assessing the depth of religious commitment is to ask survey participants whether they think that religion is important in their daily lives as the Gallup Organization has done in worldwide nationally representative surveys.

If fewer than 50 percent of the population agreed that religion was important to them, then the country has effectively crossed over to a secular majority. The godless countries by religiosity were Spain, South Korea, Canada, Switzerland, Uruguay, Germany and France. At a growth rate of 3.33 percent per year it would be 2041 before the average country in the world would be at an equivalent level of affluence as these godless nations.

If national wealth drives secularization, the global population will cross an atheist threshold where the majority see religion as unimportant by 2041.

Averaging across the two measures of atheism, the entire world population would cross the atheist threshold by about 2038 (average of 2035 for disbelief and 2041 for religiosity). Although 2038 may seem improbably fast, this requires only a shift of approximately 1 percent per year whether in religiosity or belief in God. Using the Human Development Index as a clock suggests an even earlier arrival for the atheist transition (1).

Is the loss of religious belief something fear? Contrary to the claims of religious leaders, Godless countries are highly moral nations with an unusual level of social trust, economic equality, low crime and a high level of civic engagement (5). We could do with some of that.

Sources
1. Barber, N. (2012). Why atheism will replace religion: The triumph of earthly pleasures over pie in the sky. E-book, available at: http://www.amazon.com/Atheism-Will-Replace-Religion-ebook/dp/B00886ZSJ6/
2. Norris, P., & Inglehart, R. (2004). Sacred and secular: Religion and politics worldwide. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
3. Barber, N. (2011). A Cross-National test of the uncertainty hypothesis of religious belief Cross-Cultural Research, 45, 318-333.
4. Kaufmann, E. (2010). Shall the religious inherit the earth? London: Profile books.
5. Zuckerman, P. (2008 ). Society without God: What the least religious nations can tell us about contentment. New York: New York University Press.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nigel-barber/atheism-to-defeat-religion-by-2038_b_1565108.html
Re: Atheists Are Winning? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jun 10, 2012
Logicboy , are you still thanking [b]God [/b]that you are not an atheist as you mentioned recently, haha grin grin grin
Re: Atheists Are Winning? by logicboy: 4:22pm On Jun 10, 2012
frosbel: Logicboy , are you still thanking [b]God [/b]that you are not an atheist as you mentioned recently, haha grin grin grin

Of course, God made me an atheist.
Re: Atheists Are Winning? by logicboy01: 10:25pm On Jun 26, 2012
Atheists still winning!

(1) (Reply)

Church Of Satan Membership(sacred Illuminati Temple) / Is Smoking Cigarettes A Sin? / Dress Code At A Particular Church Camp Ground

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.