Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,449 members, 7,954,766 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:47 AM

Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe (4612 Views)

To Tithe Or Not To Tithe: The Whole Truth From The Bible. / Jesus Is The Fulfillment Of The Law (tithing), Do I Still Need To Tithe? / To Tithe or Not to Tithe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by flourishG(m): 6:01pm On Jun 08, 2012
Why do people tithe to the church? The reasons are many. As I considered my own motivation, I discovered at least ten reasons why I give ten percent of my income to the church. A study of these reasons will help us to understand the great blessing of tithing and the biblical responsibility to tithe.

1. To Honor the Creator.

"Render… unto God the things that are God's" (Matthew 22:21).

Acquisitiveness is one of the basic drives of mankind. Children grasp their toys and cry, "Mine!" Someone has noted three attitudes in the parable of the good Samaritan. The priest and the Levite had the attitude, "What's mine is mine and I'm going to keep it!" The thieves had the attitude "What's yours is mine, and I'm going to get it!" The Samaritan had the attitude, 'What's mine is yours, and you can have it." There is another attitude that should permeate our thinking, even above the commendable attitude of the Samaritan. That is, "Everything we have belongs to God, and we are stewards of His goods'"

God owns the entire world and its substance. "The earth is the LORD"S, and the fulness thereof" (Psalm 24:1). "Behold, all souls are mine" (Ezekiel 18:4). "The silver is mine, and the gold is mine" (Haggai 2:8 ). It is God who gives people the power to obtain wealth (Psalm 75:6-7; Ecclesiastes 5:19). We are not to glory in what God has given us, but to glory in Him (Jeremiah 9:23-24). Why should I be grudge God ten percent when everything actually belongs to Him? If it were not for Him, there would be no land, no seed, no strength, no income, and no life. How generous He is to tell us, ""the tithe... is the LORD'S"! (Leviticus 27:30).

2. To Acknowledge My Heritage.

"And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise" (Galatians 3:29).

Abraham was the first tithe payer of record(Genesis 14:20). Abraham's grandson, Jacob, paid tithes (Genesis 28:22). Scripture says that Levi, Abraham's descendant and the father of the tribe from which the priesthood came, paid tithes in Abraham (Hebrews 7:9). My heritage of paying a tithe precedes the law of Moses. As a child of Abraham and an heir of the promise of Abraham. I acknowledge my family relationship by paying tithes.

Jesus said to the Jews, "If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham" (John 8:39). It would be strange to claim to be a child of Abraham and yet to neglect one of Abraham's most fundamental and noteworthy acts. I pay my tithes as a spiritual descendant of Abraham, the father of the faithful.

3. To Fulfill the Covenant.

"For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious" (II Corinthians 3:11).

In every comparison of the law of Moses and the new covenant that came by Jesus Christ, the new covenant stands supreme. The characteristic word in the Book of Hebrews is better, and everything is better about the new covenant. If the law demanded tithes, then how much more should we who are under the "perfect law of liberty" give our tithes willingly. (See James 1:25). If the law is written in the fleshly tables of our hearts and we follow God's commands not from outward rules but because of our new nature, then how quickly and how easily we should give the tenth that belongs to the Lord" (See II Corinthians 3:3-6).

Some people say, "Oh, we do not pay tithes, because tithing was under the law." If that is a sufficient reason for not paying tithes, then we could also mistreat our parents, for the law said, Honour thy father and thy mother" (Exodus 20:12). In actuality, we honor our father and mother and we give our tithes because the principles of the law are written in our hearts by the Spirit of God. We give willingly and liberally because the Spirit motivates us to give what God has said is His.

4. To Show My Love.

"Many waters cannot quench love" (Song of Solomon 8:7).

Love is the strongest motivation in the world. I have seen bumper stickers that say, "If you love Jesus, honk you horn!" Anyone can honk his horn. But David said, "Neither will I offer…unto the LORD my God of that which doth cost me nothing" (II Samuel 24:24). Someone should print a sticker that says, "If you love Jesus, pay your tithes!"

For someone who genuinely loves the Lord, the tithe is only the beginning of his giving. He gives not only his tithe, but also offerings (plural), not grudgingly and not of necessity, but cheerfully with love.

5. To Fulfill an Obligation.

"Ye pay tithe…:these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone" (Matthew 23:23).

Jesus did not criticize the Pharisees for paying tithes. He commended them. He said it was something they "ought" to have done. The word ought expresses an obligation or duty. It is one of the strongest words in the English language. To pay tithes is something every Christian ought to do.

The word ought has three meanings: (a) obligation or duty; as in, "He ought to pay his debts", (b) desirability; as in, "You ought to eat more slowly", (c) expectancy or probability; as in, "I ought to be through by Monday." Each one of these meanings puts an obligation upon the Christian. It is desirable for him to pay his tithes, he is expected to pay his tithes, and he has a duty to pay his tithes.

6. To Escape Condemnation.

"Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me… in tithes and offerings" (Malachi 3:8 )

How sad it is that people who are honest in business and who pay their debts to the bank, the store, and the government will not pay God what belongs to Him! Sometimes people quibble about whether they are "paying" or "giving" tithes, but both terms seem appropriate. The tithe is the Lord's and He expects us to pay it to Him; at the same time, He does not receive it until we give it to Him. He does not give us the authority to use His tithes for other purposes, but we have the power to spend it as long as it is in our hands. Nevertheless, a person is condemned if he spends God's money.

7. To Spread the Gospel.

"So hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel" (I Corinthians 9:14).

God has ordained for people to be saved by the preaching of the gospel (I Corinthians 1:21). "How shall they hear without a preacher?" (Romans 10:14).

Tithing is God's way of supporting the ministry. In the Old Testament, the Levites and the priest were God's minister to the nation of Israel, and they were supported by tithes. In the New Testament, God has called people to minister the gospel. These ministers can be more effective if they do not have to provide for their livelihood by working on a secular job but can devote themselves full time to the work of God. They need time to give themselves to prayer and to the ministry of the Word.

It is not wrong for a man to labor with his hands, nor should a minister feel too good to engage in honest labor. Yet God's plan is for those who preach the gospel to live of the gospel. When God inspired Moses to write that the people should not put a muzzle on the box that labored, God was not as concerned with the ox as He was with the principle that a laborer should receive his livelihood from his work. The application of this principle is that the minister of the gospel should earn his living from his ministry. (See I Corinthians 9:9-14).

Some ministers have endured financial hardships and deprivation in order to proclaim the gospel in needy areas. If the tithing income insures that the minister can live in a good house, drive a good car, and buy sufficient clothes for his family, why should I begrudge providing these things to a man who would preach the gospel even if he had to work on a secular job to do it? It is a disgrace to a church if the pastor has to take a secular job to supply his family's needs when there should be sufficient tithing income available to allow him to do God's work on a full-time basis. My tithing ca help to spread the gospel.

8. To Avoid a Curse.

"Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me" (Malachi 3:9).

Someone has said, "You can't outgive God, and you can't outsqueeze Him either."

Some people put their money into "a big with holes" (Haggai 1:6). They do not give God His tithe, bit they eventually spend the money for automobile repairs, medical bills, and a thousand other things that they might have avoided if they had been faithful to God in their giving.

God said that the whole nation of Israel was cursed because they had not given God His due. God asked Israel to dedicate the gold of Jericho to Him, but Achan took a wedge of gold and hid it in a tent. It became a curse to him and his whole family. I do not want God to curse my blessings. I want to give Him His tithe.

9. To Enjoy God's Blessing.

"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse… and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it " (Malachi 3:10). (See also Luke 6:38 ). God blesses the people who pay tithes. They do not always have the most money or the best clothes, but they are blessed. However, I am wary of those who promise, "If you give God a dollar, He will give you back four." The expectation of a return should not be our motivation for giving. And His richest blessings are not necessarily monetary.

But I do want God to notice me and remember me. He noticed that the window put money into the treasury at the Temple. He noticed what Cornelius was giving. He noticed what Israel was not giving. He knows what we give and He notices when we give. God has asked us to prove Him and see if He will not give us His blessings. I have trusted Him, tested Him, and tried Him, and I have concluded that it is better to give God what belongs to Him.

10. To Be Consistent.

"Be thou an example of the believers" (I Timothy 4:12).

For most of my ministry. I have lived on tithing income. How could I receive tithes and not pay tithes? I could not do so and be consistent. The Levites, who received tithes, also paid tithes on what they received (Nehemiah 10:38 ). Preachers who receive tithes should be most faithful to pay them. Paying tithes will not save a person-everyone must be born again to be saved. But paying tithes will reap a blessing. Genuine Christian not only pay tithes, but they willingly pay tithes.

God bless you all.

1 Like

Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by logicboy: 6:24pm On Jun 08, 2012
You are a fraud. Tithing is fraud. You cant deceive people on the internet so easily.

1. To Honor the Creator.

God does not exist. Even if God exists, he would not need you money. That money will be better used feeding your family or feeding the poor.

What heritage? Are Nigerians descendants of Isrealites? Even so, are we to pay tax to our heritage now?

According to your christianity, Jesus removed the need for such convenants.

4. To Show My Love.

The good samaritan showed love to a stranger. It is better to feed a poor stranger than tithing with the same money. The only love you show with tithing is to the pastor not God or your fellow human beings

Ditto number 3. No obligation or covenant

Does God punish for not paying tithes? You must be joking

7. To Spread the Gospel.

No, tithe is not needed to preach. John the baptist lived in the wilderness. Donations can help towards the upkeep of the church but we should not conflate that with the Gospel. Why must donations be money? There are other things; paying bills, donating food, providing services etc

8. To Avoid a Curse.

God now curses people for not tithing? Are you sane at all?

There are millions of people who dont tithe and are successful.

10. To Be Consistent.

Consistent in making pastors rich?
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by PastorKun(m): 6:24pm On Jun 08, 2012
Yada yada yada tongue

So how does all the hubris concocted and listed above justify the twisting of God's word to arrive at the fraudulent version of tithes you charlatans teach today.
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jun 08, 2012
So lets see...

God sends his son to save you, you believe, get saved, start observing a NEW LAW, then God comes back and says 'Dear chosen, for all Ive done for you, pay a 10%charge every month"... makes a lot of sense...
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by Goshen360(m): 6:52pm On Jun 08, 2012
@ flourishG,

All these Bible twisting you collaborated together and posted as thread. I really don't have time for details right now but hopefully will respond one point after the other from 1 to 10. Tithe had been abolished and we are left with giving in the NT.
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by EvilBrain1(m): 6:57pm On Jun 08, 2012
I think we can safely skip the majority of OP's overlong post and go straight to item 10.
flourishG: 10. To Be Consistent.

For most of my ministry. I have lived on tithing income. How could I receive tithes and not pay tithes? I could not do so and be consistent. The Levites, who received tithes, also paid tithes on what they received (Nehemiah 10:38 ). Preachers who receive tithes should be most faithful to pay them. Paying tithes will not save a person-everyone must be born again to be saved. But paying tithes will reap a blessing. Genuine Christian not only pay tithes, but they willingly pay tithes.

God bless you all.

Long story short, OP lives on tithing income. Therefore, whenever you put money in the offering tray, or write a check to a church, the money goes straight into OP and people like him's pocket.

No wonder he thinks paying tithe is such a great idea.

1 Like

Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by garyarnold(m): 11:09pm On Jun 08, 2012
1. To Honor the Creator.

Everything belongs to God. Not a tenth.

"And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise" (Galatians 3:29).

Abram gave a tenth of war spoils, a ONE-TIME recorded event. There is no scripture telling us that Abraham ever tithed from his income.

God never had a covenant with His Church to tithe.

4. To Show My Love.

Jesus died on the cross. He already paid the entire price. Is doing what Jesus ended showing your love? According to the scriptures, WE are all a part of a Royal Priesthood. According to the scriptures, priests do NOT tithe.

Jesus already fulfilled the obligation. Are you an Old Testament Jew or a New Testament believer? Obviously if you think you need to fulfill an obligation, you have fully accepted Christ.

Makes me wonder if you have ever opened your Bible. Galatians 3:13 “Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us…”

7. To Spread the Gospel.

You are spreading a false gospel, NOT the gospel of Jesus Christ.

8. To Avoid a Curse.

Galatians 3:13 “Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us…”

WE ARE ALREADY BLESSED WITH ALL SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS
Ephesians 1:3 (KJV) “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:”

10. To Be Consistent.

I have no problem with someone being consistent in their giving as long as their finances do not suffer as a result. However, Abram/Abraham wasn't consistent - we know of only ONE time he tithed.

Malachi 3:7 (KJV) “Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ORDINANCES, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return?”

ORDINANCES NAILED TO THE CROSS:
Colossians 2:14 (KJV) “Blotting out the handwriting of ORDINANCES that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;”

NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE pays the Biblical tithe today.

THE FIRST TITHE
Leviticus 27:30-33 defines this tithe as a tenth of crops and animals in herds and flocks.
Numbers 18 gives the ordinances, or instructions, for this tithe, and commands this tithe be taken to the Levites.
Purpose of this tithe: to support the Levitical Priesthood.

SECOND TITHE
Deuteronomy 14:22-27: aka The Festival Tithe - a tenth of crops, plus add to that the firstborn animals, and take for the yearly feast.
Purpose of this tithe: “that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always”

THIRD TITHE
Deuteronomy 14:28-29: aka The Three-Year Tithe aka The Poor Tithe - a tenth of crops, kept at home, and invite the Levites, widows, orphans, stranger to eat.
Purpose of this tithe: to feed the poor.

Now, tell me. Which of the above three tithes commanded by God does anyone follow today?

The ONLY people in the Old Testament that were commanded to tithe were those who INHERITED THE PROMISED LAND WITH EVERYTHING ON IT. They got the land, house, animals, crops, etc. ALL FREE AND CLEAR. No mortgage payment or rent to pay. And THEY were commanded to tithe on the crops and animals and take it to the Levites who INHERITED the tithe INSTEAD OF the promised land with everything on it. No one else tithed. Wage earners did not tithe. Jesus did not tithe as a carpenter. Paul did not tithe as a tent maker. Peter did not tithe as a fisherman.

Pastors never seem to explain the truth about the Biblical tithe.

First, ONLY those who inherited the promised land with everything on it were commanded to tithe. In other words, God GAVE to them their land and all buildings already on that land, including houses, barns, etc. No mortgage payment. No rent payment. Free and clear. Then God said He reserved a tenth of the crops and animals that HE would increase. He gave them the land and buildings, and then the crops and animals, but reserved, for Himself, a tenth of the crops and animals. He gave them their home and their job! He never asked them to pay Him a tenth of any money they earned; i.e. from selling the food from the crops and animals, or from bartering the crops and animals, or from any other income or earnings.

He then gave His tenth to the Levites as their inheritance, instead of land ownership, and the Levites were to work at the Temple. They actually worked at the Temple about two weeks per year on a rotational basis.

Now, wouldn't it be nice if today God gave each of us a piece of land with a house on it, free and clear, and only required us to pay Him a tenth of what we earn? That would be a great deal for most of us.

What tithing was in Biblical times and how the church teaches tithing today is like comparing apples to automobiles. It is like comparing a gift to a debt. There is nothing common between the two other than tenth.
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by mkmyers45(m): 6:58am On Jun 09, 2012
Christains and thier fooly..if you bring law from OT them go say na outdated but they choose just this one that suits them... angry
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by chyket(m): 9:30pm On Jun 10, 2012
I think the issue of tithing is a personal one but I must confess that my most difficult times financially comes any period I neglect my tithing obligations.
I see tithing as an opportunity to make God a stakeholder in your business and I have observed that each time I stop tithing ,I will cease to experience all those transactions that come to you and you recognize that you have really not sweated for them.
You will just begin to notice that most incomes you make will depend primarily on the amount of handwork you put into every venture.
After going through my life experiences financially,I think I prefer my tithe paying periods basically.
I also notice that the tithe does not actually affect my finances noticeably so I think I am better off giving it to God.
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by logicboy: 9:53pm On Jun 10, 2012
chyket: I think the issue of tithing is a personal one but I must confess that my most difficult times financially comes any period I neglect my tithing obligations.
I see tithing as an opportunity to make God a stakeholder in your business and I have observed that each time I stop tithing ,I will cease to experience all those transactions that come to you and you recognize that you have really not sweated for them.
You will just begin to notice that most incomes you make will depend primarily on the amount of handwork you put into every venture.
After going through my life experiences financially,I think I prefer my tithe paying periods basically.
I also notice that the tithe does not actually affect my finances noticeably so I think I am better off giving it to God.

Ignorance is a disease
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jun 10, 2012
chyket: I think the issue of tithing is a personal one but I must confess that my most difficult times financially comes any period I neglect my tithing obligations.

give it to God by distributing it to the poor.
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jun 10, 2012
flourishG:

10. To Be Consistent.

God bless you all.

What is your name and the name of your ministry?
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by Goshen360(m): 2:04am On Jun 11, 2012
flourishG: Why do people tithe to the church? The reasons are many. As I considered my own motivation, I discovered at least ten reasons why I give ten percent of my income to the church. A study of these reasons will help us to understand the great blessing of tithing and the biblical responsibility to tithe.

1. To Honor the Creator.

Acquisitiveness is one of the basic drives of mankind. Children grasp their toys and cry, "Mine!" Someone has noted three attitudes in the parable of the good Samaritan. The priest and the Levite had the attitude, "What's mine is mine and I'm going to keep it!" The thieves had the attitude "What's yours is mine, and I'm going to get it!" The Samaritan had the attitude, 'What's mine is yours, and you can have it." There is another attitude that should permeate our thinking, even above the commendable attitude of the Samaritan. That is, "Everything we have belongs to God, and we are stewards of His goods'"

God owns the entire world and its substance. "The earth is the LORD"S, and the fulness thereof" (Psalm 24:1). "Behold, all souls are mine" (Ezekiel 18:4). "The silver is mine, and the gold is mine" (Haggai 2:8 ). It is God who gives people the power to obtain wealth (Psalm 75:6-7; Ecclesiastes 5:19). We are not to glory in what God has given us, but to glory in Him (Jeremiah 9:23-24). Why should I be grudge God ten percent when everything actually belongs to Him? If it were not for Him, there would be no land, no seed, no strength, no income, and no life. How generous He is to tell us, ""the tithe... is the LORD'S"! (Leviticus 27:30).

The tithe is the Lord's. What tithe exactly are we talking about here? The tithe that is the LORD'S is NEVER and WILL NEVER be MONEY. You false tithe teachers simply don't get the truth of the word of God. Do you know that money existed from Genesis but God NEVER asked tithe to be brought from MONEY but WHAT THE LORD HIMSELF PRODUCED OR INCREASED FOR THE PEOPLE OF ISRAEL THAT ARE INTO CROP AND ANIMAL REARING. When you look at these two areas, crops and animals, ONLY God can cause the increase from the ground and make the animals fruitful. God changed the law of tithing that was mainly crops and animals to "GIVING" so that ALL can now give, knowing not all does crop and animal rearing and so that ALL can now be blessed by giving, you people are still holding to the law of tithing that God has done away with. My dear brother, please get real life, God is done away with laws of tithing but has not showed or given us the law of "GIVING". What makes it a law then was that it was specific, "from crops and animals" but what makes it grace is "giving anything, including money". Tithe was never money but giving can be anything including money. If you want to prove to us, show us a single text where tithing is money apart from crops and animals. For you to know it was NEVER intended to be from money, God said if you are to redeem your crops and animal tithe to money, then you must add 20% and that makes it more than 10%. So what exactly are you teaching God's people in tithing money? 10% or 30%?

If you want to buy back the LORD's tenth of the grain or fruit, you must pay its value, plus 20 percent. Leviticus 27:31 NLT

Leviticus 27:30 "'A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the LORD; it is holy to the LORD.

Leviticus 27:32 The entire tithe of the herd and flock--every tenth animal that passes under the shepherd's rod--will be holy to the LORD.

So can you see the VERY and SPECIFIC content of God's biblical tithe? Crops and animals is the content, NEVER money and if it were to be money, add 20% and it will be accepted by the Lord. This is the truth of tithing.

I will continue to refute the rest of your false teachings (2-10), brb.
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by flourishG(m): 2:15pm On Jun 11, 2012
Pastor Kun: Yada yada yada tongue

So how does all the hubris concocted and listed above justify the twisting of God's word to arrive at the fraudulent version of tithes you charlatans teach today.

How do you mean "twisting of God's word to arrive at the fraudulent version of tithe"?
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by flourishG(m): 2:17pm On Jun 11, 2012
uhonmora:

What is your name and the name of your ministry?

What has my name and name of my ministry got to do with this?
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by flourishG(m): 2:19pm On Jun 11, 2012
@ garyarnold,

I agree with most of your verses and point but that doesn't mean we should not tithe.
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by Goshen360(m): 2:59pm On Jun 11, 2012
flourishG:

Abraham was the first tithe payer of record(Genesis 14:20). Abraham's grandson, Jacob, paid tithes (Genesis 28:22). Scripture says that Levi, Abraham's descendant and the father of the tribe from which the priesthood came, paid tithes in Abraham (Hebrews 7:9). My heritage of paying a tithe precedes the law of Moses. As a child of Abraham and an heir of the promise of Abraham. I acknowledge my family relationship by paying tithes.

Jesus said to the Jews, "If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham" (John 8:39). It would be strange to claim to be a child of Abraham and yet to neglect one of Abraham's most fundamental and noteworthy acts. I pay my tithes as a spiritual descendant of Abraham, the father of the faithful.

This is one of the ways you tithe teachers distort the scriptures to justify your tithe messages. Abram (NOT Abraham) at that time was NOT commanded by God to tithe. If he was commanded, he didn't tithe from his "income", he tithed from "spoils of war", again NEVER income or money. You said, Jacob paid tithes. That is the greatest of lies. Jacob NEVER paid tithes. He "vowed" to give tithes ON HIS TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR GOD. Again, God never commanded Jacob to tithe. You talked about Levi, who paid tithes "IN" Abraham. Levi didn't pay tithe literally because he was still in the lions of Abraham. You simply don't understand what the scriptures is saying there. If you do, you will also understand that same Levi you talked about have the commandment to receive tithe (Heb. 7:5).

You said, your tithe heritage precedes the law. We will soon found out how obvious you still go into the law and don't stay on the pre-law tithing. You also mixed the law and pre-law tithing together. When scriptures says, "And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise". What this means is, the promise of Christ will be from Abraham and that was fulfilled in Matt. 1:1. It's a good thing you also quoted Abraham's work to justify tithing. Will you also agree that Abraham lied about his wife Sarah? Should we continue to lie? Abraham gave his wife to the pagan king, will you give your wife to a pagan king to enjoy her? Abraham also gave the remaining of the spoils from which he paid tithe to the rightful owners and never kept anything, will you also give all your monthly income to God without keeping anything and just live on faith? Abraham obeyed to pass the test of faith in attempt to slaughter his son, Isaac, will you also make attempt to slaughter your son? These are the works of Abraham, will you also do any of this?

You seems NOT to understand when the Jews began to hold onto Abraham like you and forgetting the finished works of Christ, Jesus told people like you in John 8:58 that, "before Abraham was born, I am". When Jesus came as the seed of Abraham, He didn't tithe neither did he do the works of Abraham but He exhorted us to give and it shall be given unto us. If Abraham died for your redemption, keep doing the works of Abraham and thinking you will be made perfect with that works.
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by flourishG(m): 3:06pm On Jun 11, 2012
@ Goshen360,

I read you wanted to refute all the reasons to tithe. I will wait till you finish so we can discuss it.
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by PastorKun(m): 3:14pm On Jun 11, 2012
flourishG:

How do you mean "twisting of God's word to arrive at the fraudulent version of tithe"?

There is nowhere in the bible you will find the type of tithing you guys preach today. The tithes being preached today (monetary tithe from income) was derived by twisting scriptures which states tithes of produce of the land / livestock. Levites were also twisted to mean pastors/church and it was also twisted to apply it to christians where as biblically, it was strictly a jewish mandate. Infact several twists and panel beating of scripture had to be done to arrive at the fraudulent version of tithes charlatans ppreach today.
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by Goshen360(m): 3:24pm On Jun 11, 2012
flourishG:

"For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious" (II Corinthians 3:11).

In every comparison of the law of Moses and the new covenant that came by Jesus Christ, the new covenant stands supreme. The characteristic word in the Book of Hebrews is better, and everything is better about the new covenant. If the law demanded tithes, then how much more should we who are under the "perfect law of liberty" give our tithes willingly. (See James 1:25). If the law is written in the fleshly tables of our hearts and we follow God's commands not from outward rules but because of our new nature, then how quickly and how easily we should give the tenth that belongs to the Lord" (See II Corinthians 3:3-6).

Some people say, "Oh, we do not pay tithes, because tithing was under the law." If that is a sufficient reason for not paying tithes, then we could also mistreat our parents, for the law said, Honour thy father and thy mother" (Exodus 20:12). In actuality, we honor our father and mother and we give our tithes because the principles of the law are written in our hearts by the Spirit of God. We give willingly and liberally because the Spirit motivates us to give what God has said is His.

You see what am talking about you and this your tithe wrong teachings. In one case, you said it precedes the law and in another case, you jump into tithing as per the law of Moses. In the law of Moses was many rituals, do you also do those rituals? In the law of Moses, you are to kill rebellious children, do you also do those things? Why are you guys holding only to tithe and neglect the rest of the law of Moses? The truth about our better covenant is that, the law of tithing is according to a specific people. That is, NOT everyone in Israel were to tithe, ONLY those who produced crops and animals. Carpenters like Jesus were NOT to tithe. Fishermen are NOT commanded to tithe. Tent makers and others aside those who produced crops and animals only were commanded to tithe simply because only God can make INCREASE in bring increase through crops and animals, no man's effort can cause increase in these two areas.

Now, the better covenant we have as Christians is, since NOT everyone had the commandment to tithe in Israel which is exclusively required from farmers, everyone is required to GIVE. Giving can be ANYTHING, including money but tithing according to the law of Moses is strictly based on crops and animals and what makes it law is, the percentage attached to it. By the better covenant, in GIVING which can be anything including money, giving of yourself to service of God; we do not have percentage attached to giving and it is not based on crops and animals only. This is the teachings of Jesus and the Apostles. Jesus never taught his Apostles to tithe but to give. This is what the better covenant is all about. We are not restricted to crops and animals because NOT everyone is and will be a farmer but EVERYONE is required to give according to how you propose in your heart and cheerfully, not grudgingly for God loves a cheerful giver.
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by Goshen360(m): 4:10pm On Jun 11, 2012
flourishG:

4. To Show My Love.

"Many waters cannot quench love" (Song of Solomon 8:7).

Love is the strongest motivation in the world. I have seen bumper stickers that say, "If you love Jesus, honk you horn!" Anyone can honk his horn. But David said, "Neither will I offer…unto the LORD my God of that which doth cost me nothing" (II Samuel 24:24). Someone should print a sticker that says, "If you love Jesus, pay your tithes!"

For someone who genuinely loves the Lord, the tithe is only the beginning of his giving. He gives not only his tithe, but also offerings (plural), not grudgingly and not of necessity, but cheerfully with love.

You don't seize to amaze me. So your definition of love is to pay tithe? What exactly are you or are we owing God that requires us to "pay"? The definition of God's love is this from the scriptures,

If ye love me, keep my commandments. John 14:15.

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. 1 Jn. 5:3

This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 1 Jn. 4:10 Niv

Love means doing what God has commanded us, and he has commanded us to love one another, just as you heard from the beginning. 2 Jn 1:6 NLT

So you see the various definition of love. You have drugs dealers still in drugs, all you ask is they bring tithe to show their love. You have adulterers, fornications, liars, abortionist and doctors that does abortion for people, you have harlots that does their business and still come play God on Sundays, speaking in tongues and deceiving themselves, all you ask from them is bring tithe to show their love even as the expense of obeying the commandments of God as the definition of love and loving others.
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by Goshen360(m): 4:38pm On Jun 11, 2012
flourishG:

"Ye pay tithe…:these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone" (Matthew 23:23).

Jesus did not criticize the Pharisees for paying tithes. He commended them. He said it was something they "ought" to have done. The word ought expresses an obligation or duty. It is one of the strongest words in the English language. To pay tithes is something every Christian ought to do.

The word ought has three meanings: (a) obligation or duty; as in, "He ought to pay his debts", (b) desirability; as in, "You ought to eat more slowly", (c) expectancy or probability; as in, "I ought to be through by Monday." Each one of these meanings puts an obligation upon the Christian. It is desirable for him to pay his tithes, he is expected to pay his tithes, and he has a duty to pay his tithes.

Again, many years AFTER the law of tithing was given by God to Moses. It was and God's tithing context will be crops and animals, NEVER money. The content of Matt. 23:23 is still crops. It didn't change. Yes, the statement of Jesus said they "ought" to do without neglecting the other. The context of what they ought to do is still from crops. Also, Jesus was still living in the time of the law during this period. You remember they brought a woman caught in adultery to Him and demanded judgment "according to the law". Jesus had not died to take away the law at this time and will not speak against the law of tithing then. Should he do that is to break the break.

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. Matt. 23:23 Niv.

Can you see the content of the tithe? If you have to tithe in God's way, go get spices, mint, dill and cummin. It will be acceptable unto God. Christians have better obligations in Christ Jesus than following the laws of Moses.
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by garyarnold(m): 6:40pm On Jun 11, 2012
ONE OF THE WORST CRIMES OF ALL TIME:
1 - It is done by pastors who are trusted to be honest and right, and done in the name of Jesus.
2 - It is legal only because the government (in the US) can't interfere with religious beliefs, and the pastor only need claim he is teaching his beliefs.
3 - It has spread world-wide and this crime has more victims than any other that I know of.
4 - Those who have been scammed almost always take sides with the scammer.
5 - It's a crime where the victim thinks he/she is the beneficiary, not the victim.
6 - The crime is so carefully crafted and executed that the victim falls for the same scam every week, week after week, month after month, year after year, and never even questions the scammer.
7 - The crime is so carefully crafted and executed that most church goers will yell AMEN!
8 - The crime is so carefully crafted and executed that most church goers believe their pastor is the best pastor around. Their pastor really knows the truth. They trust and believe everything he says.
9 - The crime is so carefully crafted and executed that the victims convince others to join in and be a victim like they are, all the time thinking they are the beneficiary.
10 - The crime is so carefully crafted and executed that the victim thinks they are robbing God if they don't comply with the scam.
11 - The crime is so carefully crafted and executed it is very difficult to convince the victim that they have been a victim.

The crime? Pastors teaching that God requires Christians to tithe to the church. With tithing, the victim is so ignorant of the truth, they have no clue they've been a victim. And if and when the tithing scam victims realize they are victims, there is really nothing they can do about it. The scammer keeps the money.
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by Goshen360(m): 8:00pm On Jun 11, 2012
garyarnold: ONE OF THE WORST CRIMES OF ALL TIME:
1 - It is done by pastors who are trusted to be honest and right, and done in the name of Jesus.
2 - It is legal only because the government (in the US) can't interfere with religious beliefs, and the pastor only need claim he is teaching his beliefs.
3 - It has spread world-wide and this crime has more victims than any other that I know of.
4 - Those who have been scammed almost always take sides with the scammer.
5 - It's a crime where the victim thinks he/she is the beneficiary, not the victim.
6 - The crime is so carefully crafted and executed that the victim falls for the same scam every week, week after week, month after month, year after year, and never even questions the scammer.
7 - The crime is so carefully crafted and executed that most church goers will yell AMEN!
8 - The crime is so carefully crafted and executed that most church goers believe their pastor is the best pastor around. Their pastor really knows the truth. They trust and believe everything he says.
9 - The crime is so carefully crafted and executed that the victims convince others to join in and be a victim like they are, all the time thinking they are the beneficiary.
10 - The crime is so carefully crafted and executed that the victim thinks they are robbing God if they don't comply with the scam.
11 - The crime is so carefully crafted and executed it is very difficult to convince the victim that they have been a victim.

The crime? Pastors teaching that God requires Christians to tithe to the church. With tithing, the victim is so ignorant of the truth, they have no clue they've been a victim. And if and when the tithing scam victims realize they are victims, there is really nothing they can do about it. The scammer keeps the money.

These words of yours are soooooo powerful in such a way that, I don't know which one is more powerful than the other. Hence, I take the handful of ALL by quoting ALL. These words are strong words for thought. God bless you for these great words.
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by Zodiac61(m): 8:34pm On Jun 11, 2012
I just don't get it.
The omni-potent, omni-powerful, omni-everything creator of heaven and earth has been reduced to begging for 10% of my hard earned money.
Why does he need money in the first place??
(scratching bald head wondering why)
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by garyarnold(m): 8:37pm On Jun 11, 2012
Zodiac61:
(scratching bald head wondering why)

Scratching isn't going to help. But a wig might!

1 Like

Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by Zodiac61(m): 8:45pm On Jun 11, 2012
garyarnold:

Scratching isn't going to help. But a wig might!
Nah! Too itchy. I know, I wear one for a living.
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by Goshen360(m): 9:23pm On Jun 11, 2012
@ flourishG,

You and this your copy and paste tithe heresy. You better stop following all these tithe false teachers rather than going to a website and pasting one "yeye" article from there. I found out the website you copied and pasted this heresy from. I don't even need to debate you anymore. However, if you want to discuss it since you copied and pasted what you agree with, then you might want to discuss it, I don't mind. But, my advice for you is to repent because you are spreading false teaching like someone said and you will be held accountable on the day of judgment for following to twist God's word to fit the "money" version of tithing.

God bless you.
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by flourishG(m): 2:28pm On Jul 12, 2012
Today, I have to come out openly and declare: I have only been following traditional teachings of tithing from my pastors. When I became a pastor, I was reading into the word of God but after going through many tithe threads on this board, I realized I have been living my whole Christian life is falsehood and also teaching God's people same thing. I hereby repent of my ways today. Made a vow to God never to teach what I don't search out by myself from the word of God. I advice every Christian to open the bible for themselves because many of us pastors are twisters of the word of God to suit what we want to say.

1 Like

Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by flourishG(m): 2:33pm On Jul 12, 2012
Many thanks to my brothers in truth such as: garyarnold, Pastor Kun, Goshen360, uhonmora and many others who took the burden of truth on them and exposing falsehood in the church. The Lord reward you all.
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jul 12, 2012
Thanks for being truthful. Congrats to Goshen, PastorKun and crew....
Re: Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe by PastorKun(m): 4:10pm On Jul 12, 2012
flourishG: Today, I have to come out openly and declare: I have only been following traditional teachings of tithing from my pastors. When I became a pastor, I was reading into the word of God but after going through many tithe threads on this board, I realized I have been living my whole Christian life is falsehood and also teaching God's people same thing. I hereby repent of my ways today. Made a vow to God never to teach what I don't search out by myself from the word of God. I advice every Christian to open the bible for themselves because many of us pastors are twisters of the word of God to suit what we want to say.

To God be the glory. It's takes a lot for a Pastor to swallow his pride and come out to confess the truth at the detriment of his personal self gain. I congratulate you on this difficult decision from the bottom of my heart and i pray God would continue to strenghten you in his word and in the faith.

ps: I hope my brethen image123, olaadegbu, joagbaje and other tithe merchants would take a cue from this.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Christianity Has Finally Begun To Die In The Last Christian Western Nation! USA / Russia Opens Vaults. Reveals Jesus And Israelites Were Black People. / Helping The Thinkers Believe, And Helping The Believers Think.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.