Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,719 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

To Tithe or Not to Tithe? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / To Tithe or Not to Tithe? (61175 Views)

To Tithe Or Not To Tithe: The Whole Truth From The Bible. / Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe / Jesus Is The Fulfillment Of The Law (tithing), Do I Still Need To Tithe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (64) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Allenpowered(m): 12:35pm On May 23, 2005
I was in church yesterday and you've already guessed right, the issue was tithing.This topic relates mainly to Christian faithfuls.The preacher continued this long dissertation on tithing.He rankled me I must say.

He quoted extensively from the Old testament, Malachi 3 vs 10.

The grouse I have with tithing is there is no where it is preached by Jesus or any of the apostles...it is all in the old testament, why the emphasis by preachers on it.If they want to follow the Old testament, let them do and if it is the New Testament let them follow it.

I believe that one should give what one wants to give...it may be more than the tithe for all I care, but one should not be compelled to pay tithes.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Ra(f): 1:04pm On May 23, 2005
To tithe or not to tithe? To tithe! Why? Cos my Bible tells me so, period!
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by diakim(m): 1:54pm On May 23, 2005
I don't think the preacher is compelling you to pay tithes. By preaching it or emphasizing it, he is merely performing his duties. It is left to to the wise or highly discernible to take heed.

You are right that tithes is a majorly in the old testament, but it also exists in parts of the new testament. Jesus needs not stressed too much on tithes not because it is not important, but because other prophets before him like Malachi quoted by the preacher has already done enough justice to the subject.

Both the old and new testaments jointly made the bible what is is. The bible is not complete without either of them. For example, the accounts of the creation of this present world by God can be found in Genesis, in the old testament. Being in the old testament does not invalidate the facts or makes it less important in the bible.

In summary, just as you yourself as said, give whatever you want to give, even more than the tithes as God gives you the grace, and leave the rest. But it is better to follow the Word of God, which is to give a minimum of ten percent of our income to his house so that there will be food for his servants who are doing his work full-time, and for maintenance of His house. And this is not for nothing, God has promised to rebuke the devourer and open the windows of heaven for the sake of the obedient ones.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Allenpowered(m): 2:18pm On May 23, 2005
To tithe or not to tithe? To tithe! Why? Cos my Bible tells me so, period!

Ra i love your reply, straight, no enemies taken and reveals all your mind.But don't you think one should at least reason some things through, not just period!
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Seun(m): 2:42pm On May 23, 2005
Diakim: You are right that tithes is a majorly in the old testament, but it also exists in parts of the new testament.
This is wrong. Neither Jesus nor the Apostles or other writers in the New Testament ever admonished people to pay tithes. But I think the modern church just wants to be in control of 10% of the country's economy! I mean, even the federal Government cannot boast of 10% of every Nigerian's income ...
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Allenpowered(m): 3:08pm On May 23, 2005
seun now you are exhibiting a lot of humour, maybe you'll suggest that churches be taxed next.maybe like 10% too by the federal government grin
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Seun(m): 3:42pm On May 23, 2005
These days, you have churches setting up business centres, private universities, shops, et cetera. This is called a business conglomerate, and an example of this is the Dangote Group. Should business conglomerates not be taxed?
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Allenpowered(m): 4:09pm On May 23, 2005
Like I knew it ... so want the churches to be taxed? grin Not most pastors would like you!
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Greatpeter(m): 9:32pm On May 23, 2005
Hey guys,

Don't Underrate The Word Of God, It's A Living Word, Settled In Heaven.

Let us not forget the fact that whatever has original must have the counterfeit. There are living churches and there are dead ones, no doubt about that.

But remember that Tithing is very very correct to be paying and it biblical. Jesus told the Pharisees 'why do pay tithes ... and leave the weightier matter" In that epistle, Jesus did not condemn tithes but specified what they ought to do in addition to paying thithes.

It is biblical to pay tithes for our own advantage. If you read the book of Malachi you will see that it is accompanied by blessings. Windows of heaven to be opened, Your vine will not cast young, abundant blessings your room will not be able to contain ... kiss
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by diakim(m): 12:54pm On May 24, 2005
When you pay your tithes, you are just obeying God.

It is a pity that all some people see is the preacher spending all the money. Now, you just obey God and quit worrying about what happened to the money. That is left between the preacher and God. After all, they have no other source of living. Though we know that some of them have gone into excesses with God's money, this is a matter for God Himself to judge.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by dominobaby(f): 10:18pm On May 27, 2005
It is actually biblical to tithe. " .... bring ye all the tithes ...."
A pastor would only tell you what he reads in the Bible and it is left to you.
It shouldn't be your ache what is done with the money, as long as you've obeyed God.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Hndholder(m): 3:25pm On Jun 16, 2005
Over 2000 year issue, ha pastor must chop. Most of the old practices has been drop why do u tithe your self again , because it has to do with NAIRA period, but God can not spend naira now. be wise men
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by dominobaby(f): 4:11pm On Jun 18, 2005
HND Holder,

I beg your pardon pls. If you read your bible well enough you would understand that to Tithe is a biblical command.
And please put that "because it has to do with NAIRA period, but God can not spend naira now. be wise men" aside.
Where would all the expenses for the church come from?
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by twinkledew(f): 8:47pm On Jul 05, 2005
It seems you are running away from your duties. Pay your dues to whom honour is due to aight. Tithes is in the bible and as for seun I can't believe the comment you pasted.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by WesleyanA(f): 9:17pm On Jul 05, 2005
I believe the tithe is used to build the church of G-d and should be payed if you attend church on a regular basis and enjoy all the free stuff you get when you go to church (free food, air conditioning, free gifts during holidays e.t.c they also provide help when you're in trouble, they give money to charities too, and pay the rent or morgage for that house (church) where do you think all the money come from?)

Pay your tithes and leave/change your church if you think it's corrupt and not using your money for the right purposes.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Jesimiel(m): 2:44pm On Jul 08, 2005
This is wrong. Neither Jesus nor the Apostles or other writers in the New Testament ever admonished people to pay tithes. But I think the modern church just wants to be in control of 10% of the country's economy! I mean, even the federal Government cannot boast of 10% of every Nigerian's income ...

...Seun na wa for you o! before Jesus the jewish were already so used to tithing that it was not an issue, what was an issue then was the character of sin as being displayed by the supposed tithers. What the scriptures says was that we sure bring a tenth of our increase into the store house of God...and in those days these were crops and livestock...so what would you expect they are supposed to be used for...eh? but this days we tithe money and you expect it to be used for the same purpose.

Really, with God there is nothing like democracy or the will of the people or the reasoning of man as supposed to how you feel about the commands of God, all that is expected of you is to JUST OBEY[b][/b], if you then manage to get to Heaven you can then as God himself why so, so and so....
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by makgod(m): 11:47am On Jul 12, 2005
jesimiel..abeg,no discourage people wey already di pay thithe.
tithing is fun as long as u know who u are giving to.
go jack malachi..
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Ra(f): 12:53pm On Jul 12, 2005
The funny thing about this discussion is that there is nowhere in the Bible where tithe or any other commandment for that matter was made mandatory. It's all about choice. If you believe that you ought to pay your tithe, then by all means, go ahead. If you think it's unfair because pastors will have control of the funds……., it's your decision either way.

What I know is that every commandment has an attached promise or outcome. As my brother said 'jack' (read) Malachi. Just for the record, I hope we all know the Bible implied that pastors should not work and yet must not lack anything....... read up on the history of the Levites.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Hndholder(m): 1:38pm On Jul 12, 2005
Malachi 3

7 ¶ Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return?
8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. In the whole of 66 books of Bible this is the only refrence
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by makgod(m): 5:30am On Jul 13, 2005
thank u hnd holder, i hope say RA don believe.
Every body stop robing God and pay ur tithe.
its no joke.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Ra(f): 11:55am On Jul 14, 2005
@makgod, you seem to have misread my opinion on this issue.

I believe strongly in paying one's tithe. If you bother to read my postings again, you'll realise that much is obvious.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by makgod(m): 12:50pm On Jul 14, 2005
yeah ra i bothered to read ur post again, and u were cool,
except for the part dat u said it wasnt made mandatory,

in my understanding i think it was, or maybe i need more insight on dat passage.wink
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Jesimiel(m): 3:33pm On Jul 15, 2005
Makgod..... I was responding to Seun's submissions on tithing and not discouraging people being a tither myself.
Seun from my point of view was trying to be logical about the issue and I was simply saying there is no logic about it(logically as well), it's either you are robbing God (by not paying your tithe) or not (by paying it)......
Really, with God there is nothing like democracy or the will of the people or the reasoning of man as supposed to how you feel about the commands of God, all that is expected of you is to JUST OBEY
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Hndholder(m): 4:51pm On Jul 15, 2005
Most pastor today open their churches to collect / tithing for God, but they remove their commission from that anyway. Abi pastor must chop
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Greatpeter(m): 7:19pm On Jul 15, 2005
Ha HND Holder! any way I agree with you there are fake pastors but there are truthful ones too.
Tithes is to further the work of God here on earth, for the widows, widowers, motherless, orphans e.t.c
And it's God's command. So mine is to pay and is left for the pastor his ministers to use it judiciously.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by hopy2005(f): 2:21pm On Jul 18, 2005
To Tithe is very vital, why co's the Bible has made it clear to us, that one who do not tithe is rubbing God, what I'm saying this, is forinstance, if u're workin and at the end of the month God is expecting u to give Him one third of tht thing u're earnin, asuming u're paid 1,000 in a month, then 100 is mearnt for ur tithe. this issue of tithe is another way of open doors for some tht don't kn.

though I my self have not be faithful to tht, but I will try and do thesame.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by DEKING3(m): 1:31pm On Jul 26, 2005
"Give unto Ceaser what is Ceaser's and unto God what is God's"! Jesus said that and this is meant for those who said Jesus didn't mention anything about tithe.

You pay school school fees and other bills, so you want to go to church and hear all the encouraging words of God FOC? Tithe is not much, just 10%. hey guys, c'mon.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by joftech(m): 7:48am On Jul 29, 2005
I will rather give my 10% straight to people that need it, that way am sure it will have the desired impact on the life of those that need it most.

At times churches can't justify the collection of tithes and even offering.

Does Bill Gates pay tithes, yet he is the world richest man. Giving straight to the poor is the best tithe you can ever pay.

After this post i found this article http://www.truthortradition.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=161
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by DEKING3(m): 9:30am On Jul 29, 2005
joftech:

At times churches can't justify the collection of tithes and even offering.

@ joftech - Let me say this, it's not in your place to check and confirm the justification of the collection of tithes and even offering in the church of God.

Play your part and leave God to play his.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by joftech(m): 10:32am On Jul 29, 2005
it's not in your place to check and confirm the justification of the collection of tithes and even offering in the church of God.

that's my view and i know anyone that can give this issue a second thought will understand what am talking about.

Of all the people that are going to churches how many of them do visit motherless babies home. Until we are able to break from the shackle of not "thinking out of the box" we will never advance as a nation.

Anyway we all have our viewpoints.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by objibb(m): 11:49am On Jul 29, 2005
Well, in verse 9 of chapter 3 it says “the whole nation” is under a curse. What nation? The USA? No, the book of Malachi is specifically addressed to the nation of Israel, and more specifically to the priests (see 1:6,10-13; 2:1,7 and cool who were badly mistreating God’s people. To use verses from Malachi as if they are talking to Christians is at best poor scholarship and at worst dishonest
This is what I pick from the link and is a fact. If tithe can be stoped mst of the fake ...positors/pastors will go back to farm and join cassava production.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by DEKING3(m): 4:58pm On Jul 29, 2005
In otherwords objibb, are saying God was only telling the nation of Israel alone to pay tithe?
I hope you don't claim other promises meant for them?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (64) (Reply)

"I Want To Marry A Rich Nigerian Man" - Black American Female Pastor Says / Bishop Oyedepo And Wife Arrive Benin City In Their Private Jet (Photos) / My Terrible Experience In A Church Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.