Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,656 members, 7,823,859 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

From Disciples To Brethren - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / From Disciples To Brethren (1231 Views)

Did Jesus Pbuh Allow His Disciples To Keep A Staff On Their Journey? / Dont Be Deceived In Church Today Brethren. / Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

From Disciples To Brethren by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:43pm On Jun 09, 2012
"And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!" (Matthew 12:49)

It is amazing how I will be the first person to challenge the article above with this verse which to me, shows that Jesus indeed called His disciples brethren, and that to me means that they were born again even before our Lord Jesus Christ rose from the dead.
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by Goshen360(m): 4:37am On Jun 10, 2012
Yes, they were born again. Even when they were "called" and believed in Jesus to follow him, they left their "everything" to follow Christ means salvation during their time. Do you know that there is a "salvation" according to the OT also? But it is based on type and shadows. Abraham "believed" God and it was counted to him for righteousness. This according to the OT types and shadows is salvation. Children of Israel being "saved" from Egypt which is type and shadow of the world and bondage is a type and shadows of OT salvation which was written for our example.

Thanks for the insight.
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:58am On Jun 11, 2012
Goshen360:

Yes, they were born again. Even when they were "called" and believed in Jesus to follow him, they left their "everything" to follow Christ means salvation during their time. Do you know that there is a "salvation" according to the OT also? But it is based on type and shadows. Abraham "believed" God and it was counted to him for righteousness. This according to the OT types and shadows is salvation. Children of Israel being "saved" from Egypt which is type and shadow of the world and bondage is a type and shadows of OT salvation which was written for our example.

Thanks for the insight.

Thanks for the good examples you gave up there. It is those who teach and preach the "WOF" doctrines that seem to believe otherwise. They teach that it was only after Jesus became born again after His resurrection that His disciples became born again. They claim that they were not saved before then, which I don't agree with.

BTW. What happened to the thread that someone opened on how to be free from por.no.grapy? Is it deleted, transferred or just hidden? And why?
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:16pm On Jun 11, 2012
I eventually found out that it has been moved to the section in the link below.

https://www.nairaland.com/960112/please-help-me-fear-por..n..o..graphy#up
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:07am On Jun 12, 2012
"And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!" (Matthew 12:49)

This verse should also silence those who think Jesus did not have any natural siblings (i.e. half brothers and sisters).
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:47pm On Jun 15, 2012
"And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother" (Matthew 12:49,50)

All those who desire and do the will of God are now the Lord's brethren.
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:43pm On Jun 20, 2012
OLAADEGBU: I eventually found out that it has been moved to the section in the link below.

https://www.nairaland.com/960112/please-help-me-fear-por..n..o..graphy#up

bumped.
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by italo: 8:29pm On Jun 20, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Thanks for the good examples you gave up there. It is those who teach and preach the "WOF" doctrines that seem to believe otherwise. They teach that it was only after Jesus became born again after His resurrection that His disciples became born again. They claim that they were not saved before then, which I don't agree with.

BTW. What happened to the thread that someone opened on how to be free from por.no.grapy? Is it deleted, transferred or just hidden? And why?

Are you saying that the disciples were born-again before the resurrection? At what point then, did they become born-again and how?
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by LogicMind: 8:42pm On Jun 20, 2012
hehehehe
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:04am On Jun 23, 2012
italo:

Are you saying that the disciples were born-again before the resurrection? At what point then, did they become born-again and how?

Yes. When they were called and they responded, they forsook all and followed Him.
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by italo: 3:47pm On Jun 23, 2012
In other words, you are saying that a born-again Christian can go to hell, like Judas.
OLAADEGBU:

Yes. When they were called and they responded, they forsook all and followed Him.
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:30pm On Jun 23, 2012
italo:

In other words, you are saying that a born-again Christian can go to hell, like Judas.

Yes, if they die in their backslidden state.
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by italo: 5:47am On Jun 24, 2012
Here's what you said on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/814144/justified-faith-works/2

OLAADEGBU: A Christian does not deliberately commit sin, if a Christian sins, it is against his will.  One who is born again does not habitually commit sin.  He falls rather than dives into sin, he resists rather than embraces sin. 

You are saying then, that Judas was a born-again Christian and he sinned by stealing money from Jesus and betraying him, but it was not all deliberate. It was against his will. He resisted, rather than embrace the betrayal and stealing.

True or false?
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:53am On Jun 25, 2012
italo:
Here's what you said on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/814144/justified-faith-works/2

You are saying then, that Judas was a born-again Christian and he sinned by stealing money from Jesus and betraying him, but it was not all deliberate. It was against his will. He resisted, rather than embrace the betrayal and stealing.

True or false?

The moment a Christian begins to sin deliberately he ceases to become a Christian, he becomes a sinner who sins naturally, just as a fish swims in water naturally. You are on your own if you deliberately begin to sin wilfully on a regular basis.
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:01pm On Jun 28, 2012
"Whosoever is born of God does not commit sin; for his seed remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God" (1 John 3:9).
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:39pm On Jul 24, 2012
Where is italo to answer my kweshuns?
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by Goshen360(m): 11:57pm On Jul 24, 2012
Brother Olaadegbu,

In addition to my first comment, take a look at this:

I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not. Jude 5.

It was a salvation but an OT salvation and that kind of salvation requires practices such as physical high priest, washing of sins by blood of goats and bulls, righteousness by works, etc but the NT salvation is based on better covenant by which we draw nearer to God. Hebrews 7:19
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:08am On Jul 25, 2012
Goshen360: Brother Olaadegbu,

In addition to my first comment, take a look at this:

I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not. Jude 5.

It was a salvation but an OT salvation and that kind of salvation requires practices such as physical high priest, washing of sins by blood of goats and bulls, righteousness by works, etc but the NT salvation is based on better covenant by which we draw nearer to God. Hebrews 7:19

The OT salvation is based on faith just as the NT is. The OT saints believed the promise that God will overcome death looking forward to the coming of the Messiah while we in the NT believe in the fulfilled promise when we look back at what Christ has done on the Cross 2,000 years ago. Abraham believed God and it was imputed for him as righteousness and therefore he has become the father of all those who believe.
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by Goshen360(m): 12:09am On Jul 25, 2012
Besides, what's the difference between Disciples and brethren?

And which has more insight and revelation?
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:28am On Jul 25, 2012
Goshen360: Besides, what's the difference between Disciples and brethren?

And which has more insight and revelation?

To become a brother in Christ is when one gets born again, when the new life in Christ begins but being a disciple is when the brother or sister in Christ is trained in the doctrines of Christ. All believers should endeavour to become disciples of Christ and be trained in the ways of the Master.
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:41am On Aug 20, 2012
bumped.
Re: From Disciples To Brethren by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:05pm On Jul 03, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

To become a brother in Christ is when one gets born again, when the new life in Christ begins but being a disciple is when the brother or sister in Christ is trained in the doctrines of Christ. All believers should endeavour to become disciples of Christ and be trained in the ways of the Master.

From brethren to disciples or vice versa? undecided

(1) (Reply)

What The Church Doesn't Want You To Know / Another Bomb Blast In Hotoro,kano / How A Church Building Mirraculously Moved Backward

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.