Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,020 members, 7,810,820 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:06 PM

Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? (6065 Views)

Did "Jesus" Tell A "LIE"??? / Good Friday Crucifixion Of Jesus In Nigeria / From Disciples To Brethren (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Mar 25, 2007
Please can someone tell me why Jesus told his disciples to sell what they have and buy swords? I think its in Matthew i read that!
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by stimulus(m): 5:14pm On Mar 25, 2007
babaearly:

Please can someone tell me why Jesus told his disciples to sell what they have and buy swords? I think its in Matthew i read that!

Luke 22:36 - 'Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.'

Can you tell us why Jesus told them to buy swords?
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by Nobody: 9:04am On Mar 26, 2007
stimulus:

Luke 22:36 - 'Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.'

Can you tell us why Jesus told them to buy swords?

Thats exactly what i need to know
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by auwal87(m): 4:16pm On Dec 14, 2007
I think there is no reason other than to fight the enemies,

why was this important ques being ignored??
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by jerrymania(m): 11:08pm On Dec 14, 2007
Hmmm long time topic. anyway quite interesting to know why. Any clue?
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Dec 14, 2007
hey dnt be too too literal here ehn, he was jus trying to make them realis that they and the xtians in general had a lot of battles to fight in a conflicting world as we see today.personal opinion though. lipsrsealed
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by jerrymania(m): 11:36pm On Dec 14, 2007
olrotimi:

hey dnt be too too literal here ehn, he was jus trying to make them realis that they and the xtians in general had a lot of battles to fight in a conflicting world as we see today.personal opinion though. lipsrsealed

But Jesus told them to buy swords! At least Peter showed u proof tongue i think its u who's been literal.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by babs787(m): 12:21pm On Dec 15, 2007
olrotimi

hey dnt be too too literal here ehn, he was jus trying to make them realis that they and the xtians in general had a lot of battles to fight in a conflicting world as we see today.personal opinion though.

Brother, firstly, was Jesus a christian and do you have any proof that his disciples are same.

Secondly why did he tell them to buy sword in the first place and I wwant to refreshen your memory that when in one the gospels, one of disciples showed him the physical and Jesus said it was ok.

So please why did he tell them to buy physical sword in the first place.

Thanks
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by jerrymania(m): 9:55pm On Dec 17, 2007
@ babs

i aint ur ally. urs (religion) is as fake as ever. man made and brutal. why dont u guys love life? 7 virgins in heaven? only barbaric men wish for such!

@ davidylan and pilgrim and compatriots

is this too hard for you? no come twist our head with grandiose vocabulary.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by analyt82(f): 9:23pm On Dec 18, 2007
Well, the bible is also refereed to as your sword. Maybe the Old Testament was in written word by then Just taking a stab at it. Anyone else
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by longman83(m): 1:00am On Dec 19, 2007
Brother, firstly, was Jesus a christian and do you have any proof that his disciples are same.

Why do you Muslim apologists persist in asking such stupid questions??

Secondly why did he tell them to buy sword in the first place and I wwant to refreshen your memory that when in one the gospels, one of disciples showed him the physical and Jesus said it was ok.

Are two swords enough to defend twelve men? How did Jesus react when Peter used his sword in the Garden of Gethsemane? Think about if - if indeed you are serious about knowing the truth - then you may realise the inadequacies of a literal translation of the said text.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by JeSoul(f): 3:26am On Dec 19, 2007
olrotimi:

Olrotimi is right, this portion of scripture (like many others) is not meant to be taken literally. Jesus was simply telling them that things were about to change and they needed to be prepared for the upcoming trials and tribulations they would face.
  The disciples did not understand what he meant at this point and hence answered literally "we have 2 swords"
  Jesus answered "it is enough" why? when obviously 2 swords were not enough for 11 men to use to fight. He answered "it is enough" as in "you don't understand my point now, but you will later. For now, I've said enough"

If you read further when Jesus was arrested

"Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him. With that, one of Jesus' companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear. "Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

If Jesus had wanted them armed with actual swords, why would he ask His disciple to put down His sword here? This shows that Jesus had previously not been talking about a "physical sword" but something else they misunderstood. And His negative reaction here to the use of a sword proves it.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by dot2002(m): 12:22pm On Dec 19, 2007
swords of the spirit

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by babs787(m): 3:28pm On Dec 19, 2007
@longman83

Why do you Muslim apologists persist in asking such stupid questions??

It may always look stupid to those that have eyes but cannot see, those who have eyes but cannot hear and those who have this thing upstairs but cannot use it to reason.

You have been callng yourself christians and laying claim to Jesus as being a christian as well. Now I want you to tell me if there anywhere in the bible Jesus used the word' christian' for his disciples and show me any where in the bible that shows that he was a christian along with is disciples.

Are two swords enough to defend twelve men?

They may not be enough because he never thought that up to 500 people would come for his arrest. Please when one of them showed him the physical sword, why didnt he tell him to put away the sword that he was not referring to physical sword and why did he wait till the sword was used in cutting the ear of one of the soldier?

How did Jesus react when Peter used his sword in the Garden of Gethsemane?

Common, stop asking stupid question, beware that I was like you and there is nothing in the so called bible you can use to vdeceive me. I know it even more than you because I spent many years reading same.

Back to the topic at hand grin.

Now you are asking me how he reacted when he used the sword to cut the ear of one of those that came for his arrest, why did he tell them to buy sword in the first place and when Peter showed him the sword, why didnt he tell him to put it away rather than allowing him to bring it along with him to face the Romans?

Think about if - if indeed you are serious about knowing the truth - then you may realise the inadequacies of a literal translation of the said text.

Brother, stop deceiving yourself. I was in your shoe before I saw the light. Go through the verses and you would notice that Jesus told them to sell whatever the might be having to buy sword. If indeed he meant spiritual sword for spiritual fight here, he would have cautioned Peter when he showed him the physical sword.

Brother, the truth of the matter is that, Jesus no wan die :Dbecause he didnt come to die. Go through the your bible and read how he positioned his disciples for the fight and he he had to pray more than two times and each time he goes back to his disciples, he's always telling them to keep watch. Please if he really wanted to die, wh did he wake them up each time he find them sleeping and he had to ask them that 'why cant they keep watch for him'. Why are they watching? So that enemies would not surprise them.

Let me stop there, I still have more for you to show that Jesus really no wan die and back to the topic, why did he tell thm to buy sword and when one of them showed him the sword, he didnt rebuke him?

Thanks
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by babs787(m): 3:38pm On Dec 19, 2007
@Jesoul

Olrotimi is right, this portion of scripture (like many others) is not meant to be taken literally.

Ok grin

Jesus was simply telling them that things were about to change and they needed to be prepared for the upcoming trials and tribulations they would face.

What trials are you referring to that needed the use of p[hysical sword?

The disciples did not understand what he meant at this point and hence answered literally "we have 2 swords"

Hope you are aware that he told me to sell whatever they are having and use to buy sword.

Jesus answered "it is enough" why? when obviously 2 swords were not enough for 11 men to use to fight. He answered "it is enough" as in "you don't understand my point now, but you will later. For now, I've said enough"

Now sister, since you are saying that he was preparing them for trials, why didnt he rebuke them when they told him that they were having physical swords because he knew too well that they would use the swords for attack?

If you read further when Jesus was arrested

I did sister

"Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him. With that, one of Jesus' companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear. "Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

Good but it happened because he never thought that so much people would come for his arrest. My question again; why didnt he caution them when they told him that they were having physical sword?

If Jesus had wanted them armed with actual swords, why would he ask His disciple to put down His sword here?

You get it wrong. If he was not interested in any fight whatsoever, he wouldnt have told them to sell what they were having to buy sword and when Peter showed him physical sword, he ought to have cautioned him against using it but had to tell Peter that it is enough

This shows that Jesus had previously not been talking about a "physical sword" but something else they misunderstood. And His negative reaction here to the use of a sword proves it.

Please thou shall not twist Jesus' saying grin. If he was not talking about physical sword, why didnt he go against it when Peter showed him physical sword? Why did he tell them that it is enough if he was not interested in physical sword?

Thanks
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by tomX1(m): 3:56pm On Dec 19, 2007
Jesus himself answered your question in the next verse . . .
Luke 22:37

37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
KJV

Every thing concerning his death had been prophesied and he knew it must all be fufilled. He also knew about his betrayal, sufferings and death but didn't stop those. All that was prophesied about him had to be fulfilled.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by ekorick(m): 4:50pm On Dec 19, 2007
we wrestle not against flesh and blood but principalities and powers of darkness in high places; can you fight principalities and powers of darkness in high places? ask yourself. He was only trying to tell them to tighten their belts spiritually. You know the incarceration of Paul and Silas and the death of John the disciple
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by babs787(m): 4:51pm On Dec 19, 2007
@tomx

Jesus himself answered your question in the next verse . . .

Luke 22:37

37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
KJV

Brother, the above does not have any relationship with what we are discussing here. The above does not have a solution to the issue of telling them to buy sword and not cautioning them when same were presented.

for the things concerning me have an end.

Sure, every creation has an end and that is exact thing he meant but not in anyway related to the perceptioon you may be having about JESUS.

Every thing concerning his death had been prophesied and he knew it must all be fufilled.

Cgift made mention of similar thing in one of the threads and I asked him some questions on that but he has not responded but at the same I think this is the avenue for me to read the response from another christian.

Can you please serve me from the OT where it was prophesised that he would be nailed/crucified and resurrect after the third day.

He also knew about his betrayal, sufferings and death but didn't stop those. All that was prophesied about him had to be fulfilled.

Can you give me part of those prophecy from the OT?

Thanks
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by babs787(m): 5:11pm On Dec 19, 2007
@ekorick

He was only trying to tell them to tighten their belts spiritually.

Abeg dont give that grin. Where did the issue of spirituality comes in? He told them to sell what they may bge having and buy sword and Peter showed him a PHYSICAL SWORD and Jesus said that it was enough.

Now if Jesus was referring to spiritual sword therein, he would have explained to them and also cautioned Peter when he showed him the physical sword. For Peter to have showed him a physical sword and for him not have go against it showed that he was referring to a physical sword.

If I may refreshen your memory, Jesus made it know to us that he was referring to physical sword because he told them:

Luke 22v 36-38
36 Then he said to them: “But now let the one that has a purse take it up, likewise also a food pouch; and let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one.

In the above verse, he made it known to us that if none is having sword (physical), he should sell whatever he might be having and buy one.

37 For I tell you that this which is written must be accomplished in me, namely, ‘And he was reckoned with lawless ones.’ For that which concerns me is having an accomplishment.”

A christian tried interpreting this very verse wrongly. He forgot that Jesus Peter showed him the sword after that statement.

38 Then they said: “Lord, look! here are two swords.” He said to them: “It is enough.”

Now read the above. They told him they are having physical sword and he said to them that it is enough. So why are trying to twist the verse? He instructed them to buy swords and when they showed him, he said that it was enough.

So why did he tell them to buy physical sword?

You know the incarceration of Paul and Silas and the death of John the disciple

I will appreciate if you can serve me that grin
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by TayoD1(m): 5:31pm On Dec 19, 2007
@All,

When people like babs787 and His hordes of blood-thirsty believers in allah try endlessly to associate Jesus with violence, one can't but wonder why this is so. In any case, it doesn't take a degree in rocket science to realise that their faith cannot stand on its two legs without a reference to Christianity or Judaism. Afterall, every fake product out there always find a way to atach itself to the authenthic product, either through its name or by repacking the same product though using inferior materials.

In a desperate attampt to justify Mohammed's blood-thirstyness, babs787 is trying to make us believe that Jesus was an advocate of armed conflict. How can He be an advocate of armed conflict when He taught that we should turn the other cheek when we are struck? How can He be blood thirsty when He stopped one of His overzealous Disciple from continuing bloodshed, and rather healed him that was hurt?

My question to babs787 is this: Why didn't this same Jesus use a sword when the crowd were going to throw Him over a cliff? Why would He need a sword when just by a spoken word from Him, the army that came to arrest Him fell back. Is it not the same Jesus who said if he so wished, he could have called on His Father to send Him legions of Angels at that point in time to deliver Him (and not men with swords)? Why would He need a sword when it is written of Him that not even will his foot hit a stone becase Angels have been given charge over Him.

As someone said earlier, all that happened to Him were His Father's will which he clearly submitted to in the Garden of Gethsemane and all through His life. He was so eager to get on with the cross that he told Judas to go do what he knew he was going to do quickly. He knew His disciples would scatter when He would be arrested and already told Peter that he would deny His master 3 times before dawn.

So you see, it takes a man with an agenda to deny these truths and try to pin the unpinnable to him whom the scriptures refer to as the Prince of Peace.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by babs787(m): 6:06pm On Dec 19, 2007
@Tayo-D

@All,

When people like babs787 and His hordes of blood-thirsty believers in allah try endlessly to associate Jesus with violence, one can't but wonder why this is so. In any case, it doesn't take a degree in rocket science to realise that their faith cannot stand on its two legs without a reference to Christianity or Judaism. Afterall, every fake product out there always find a way to atach itself to the authenthic product, either through its name or by repacking the same product though using inferior materials.

Welcome from the moon. I am not surprised at your response because you have all been known for going other when simple question is being asked despite the fact that the verses are self explanatory.

In a desperate attampt to justify Muhammad's blood-thirstyness, babs787 is trying to make us believe that Jesus was an advocate of armed conflict. How can He be an advocate of armed conflict when He taught that we should turn the other cheek when we are struck? How can He be blood thirsty when He stopped one of His overzealous Disciple from continuing bloodshed, and rather healed him that was hurt?

Point of correction, I am not the one making you believe that but your bible and your un-inspired authors did that. Now, go to the verses:

Luke 22v 36-38
36 Then he said to them: “But now let the one that has a purse take it up, likewise also a food pouch; and let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one.

37 For I tell you that this which is written must be accomplished in me, namely, ‘And he was reckoned with lawless ones.’ For that which concerns me is having an accomplishment.”

38 Then they said: “Lord, look! here are two swords.” He said to them: “It is enough.”

Beating about the bush will not solve the issue. It is a known fact that he ordered them to buy sword because he thought that few would come for his arrest but was shocked when he saw almost 500 Romans coming for his arrest. Now if he was not prepared for war, he wouldnt have positioned them at the place he went to pray, he came to where they were and found them sleeping almost twice and told them that 'why couldnt they watch over for him'. please what are then watching over and why the need for that? You say till tomorrow that Muhammad was a warrior, but he wasnt the only one, go through your OT and read about Moses, Josephat etc and come to tell me that they were blood thirsty too.

My question to babs787 is this: Why didn't this same Jesus use a sword when the crowd were going to throw Him over a cliff?

Using a question to ask another when you have not been able to provide answer despite seeing the glaring instruction is a sure proof of your dishonesty. Now, in your quote above, did he tell them to buy sword and can you serve me the verse where they wanted to throw him over the cliff, I want to use something there?

Why would He need a sword when just by a spoken word from Him, the army that came to arrest Him fell back.

Can you serve me the verse please?

Is it not the same Jesus who said if he so wished, he could have called on His Father to send Him legions of Angels at that point in time to deliver Him (and not men with swords)?

Ok, do you of the verses where he couldnt save himself but had to pray to get with sweat coming out of his body like thick blood. If he could save himself, he didnt need to pray up to that lenght, he should have commanded God to do his wish and do you remember the story of the fig tree where he cursed the fig tree rather than command same to bear fruit.

Why would He need a sword when it is written of Him that not even will his foot hit a stone becase Angels have been given charge over Him.

Tayo-D, why are denying the glaring truth. His disciples showed him physical sword and he told them it was enough. So please if he wasnt interested, he wouldnt have commanded them to do same and would have rebuked them when shown the physical sword.

As someone said earlier, all that happened to Him were His Father's will which he clearly submitted to in the Garden of Gethsemane and all through His life. He was so eager to get on with the cross that he told Judas to go do what he knew he was going to do quickly. He knew His disciples would scatter when He would be arrested and already told Peter that he would deny His master 3 times before dawn.

Na lie. Jesus no wan die. Firstly, he didnt walk openly when he learnt that they wanted to kill him and he had escaped from them on many occassion while preaching. If he came to die willingly, he wouldnt have prayed to God to save him to the extent that his drops were like thick blood and lastly, from his last cry, it showed that he never came to die hence his saying[b] 'my God, my God, why has thou forsaken me?[/b]

If his death has been planned, why are you labelling Judas a traitor because he was never one, he sped up what Jesus came to do and on the issue of Peter denying him trice, there are contradicting statement on that:

What did Jesus say about Peters denial?
The cock will not crow till you have denied me three times (John 13:38)
and
Before the cock crows twice you will deny me three times (Mark 14:30) .
When the cock crowed once, the three denials were not yet complete (see Mark 14:72).

So you see, it takes a man with an agenda to deny these truths and try to pin the unpinnable to him whom the scriptures refer to as the Prince of Peace.

You are the one denying the truth after having served you the truth of the whole issue and please was Jesus really a prince of peace?
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by TayoD1(m): 6:32pm On Dec 19, 2007
@babs787,

Can you serve me the verse please?

I don't have much time for a rejoinder now. But here is the scripture you asked for:

John 18: 4 Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye? 5 They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. 6 As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground. 7 Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth. 8 Jesus answered, I have told you that I am he: if therefore ye seek me, let these go their way: 9 That the saying might be fulfilled, which he spake, Of them which thou gavest me have I lost none. 10 Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus. 11 Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it? 12 Then the band and the captain and officers of the Jews took Jesus, and bound him,
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Dec 19, 2007
yes Jesus asked his followers to buy  a sword, they understood the sword to be the sword of the Spirit but guess what?
Muhammad and his followers instead bought literal swords and went a-slashing grin grin

The rest of the story can be found in www. mohammed slash slash slash.come AKA koran and hadiths grin
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by babs787(m): 7:06pm On Dec 19, 2007
@Tayo-D

I will be looking forward to read your rebuttal to my post  ut in the absence of that, I will quickly attend to your last below:

I don't have much time for a rejoinder now. But here is the scripture you asked for:

John 18: 4 Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye? 5 They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. 6 As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground. 7 Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth. 8 Jesus answered, I have told you that I am he: if therefore ye seek me, let these go their way: 9 That the saying might be fulfilled, which he spake, Of them which thou gavest me have I lost none. 10 Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus. 11 Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it? 12 Then the band and the captain and officers of the Jews took Jesus, and bound him,

Your above quote showed that they do not know Jesus and he had to ask them who they were looking for. Now read another verses contradicting what you gave me. From the verse you gave me, it is known that they do not know Jesus and he had to tell that he was Jesus, so let us look at the verses to see if really Jesus identified himself or Judas did that with a kiss.

Mark 14:44: 'And he that betrayed him had given them a token, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he; take him, and lead him away safely.'

Mark 14 v 44:

14:44. And he that betrayed him had given them a sign, saying: Whomsoever I shall kiss, that is he. Lay hold on him: and lead him away carefully.

14:45. And when he was come, immediately going up to him he saith: Hail, Rabbi! And he kissed him.

14:46. But they laid hands on him and held him.

Also

Read Matthew 26:48-50 to see that Judas betrayed Jesus with a kiss.

26:47 And while he yet spake, lo, Judas, one of the twelve, came, and with him a great multitude with swords and staves, from the chief priests and elders of the people.

26:48 Now he that betrayed him gave them a sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he: hold him fast.

26:49 And forthwith he came to Jesus, and said, Hail, master; and kissed him.

26:50 And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come? Then came they, and laid hands on Jesus, and took him.

Matthew 26:48-50  (NIV)

48Now the betrayer had arranged a signal with them: "The one I kiss is the man; arrest him." 49Going at once to Jesus, Judas said, "Greetings, Rabbi!" and kissed him.

50. Jesus replied, "Friend, do what you came for."

Tayo-D, which do I hold on to? Jesus showing himself or Judas betraying him with a kiss?

Thanks

@babyosis

yes Jesus asked his followers to buy a sword, they understood the sword to be the sword of the Spirit but guess what?
Muhammad and his followers instead bought literal swords and went a-slashing

The rest of the story can be found in www. mohammed slash slash slash.come AKA koran and hadiths

Your post came in while trying to reply tayo-d, so I will treat the two together.

The question still is WHY DID HE TELL THEM TO BUY SWORD AND COULDNT CAUTION THEM WHEN PETER SHOWED HIM SWORD but rather than rebuke him he said that it was enough.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by TayoD1(m): 8:19pm On Dec 19, 2007
@babs787,

Tayo-D, which do I hold on to? Jesus showing himself or Judas betraying him with a kiss?

Thanks
No scripture can be rightly interpreted without looking at other verses. God Himself testifies of it that it is a little here and a little there, and there is no scripture without its twin. So you see, all those scriptures do not contradict but compliment each other. The authors' perspectives are different and so their stories come across differently. That is where the Bible differ from the Qu'ran, we do not gather and burn other writings to come up with a politically correct one like is done with the Qu'ran.

As to the story line, all the authors combined give us the full picture. While indeed Judas kissed Jesus to identify Him, the Soldiers asked Jesus to also identify Himself just to be sure that they are getting the right person. If I take the Police along with me to arrest someone, and I point out the person, it is only judicious of the Police to ask the accused to identify himslef also. This is only common sense.

In any case, you have tried to dance around the subject being discussed by coming up with this. The bottom line is that Jesus had the power in His words alone to defend Himself as the scriptures here testified. So there is absolutely no need for the sword. That should get you to rethink your stance that Jesus needed swords to defend Himself. Besides, the same passage said Jesus knew all that was coming to Him, and He rebuked Peter after Peter declared that Jesus' death and suffering must not be allowed to happen. You want scriptures for that too?
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by JeSoul(f): 1:14am On Dec 20, 2007
babs787:

@Jesoul

Ok grin

What trials are you referring to that needed the use of p[hysical sword?

Hope you are aware that he told me to sell whatever they are having and use to buy sword.

Now sister, since you are saying that he was preparing them for trials, why didnt he rebuke them when they told him that they were having physical swords because he knew too well that they would use the swords for attack?

I did sister

Good but it happened because he never thought that so much people would come for his arrest. My question again; why didnt he caution them when they told him that they were having physical sword?

You get it wrong. If he was not interested in any fight whatsoever, he wouldnt have told them to sell what they were having to buy sword and when Peter showed him physical sword, he ought to have cautioned him against using it but had to tell Peter that it is enough

Please thou shall not twist Jesus' saying grin. If he was not talking about physical sword, why didnt he go against it when Peter showed him physical sword? Why did he tell them that it is enough if he was not interested in physical sword?

Thanks

Do I really need to reply this?
Anyone who's genuinely intrested in understanding that portion of scripture will get it, and anyone who's looking for another way to misconstrue and twist the words and intent of Jesus will continue to do so - regardless of anything anyone says
and babs787 - you are the latter.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by uspry1(f): 1:53am On Dec 20, 2007
Simple go getting the rented DVD gospel movie called "The Passion of the Christ", it tells everything from the begining thru the Lord's Supper prayer, how Jesus is arrested, and why Jesus is crucified VERY CLEARLY!
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by babs787(m): 4:20pm On Dec 20, 2007
@Tayo-D

You stylishly deflected the thread with the claim that you would respond to the issue of 'why Jesus tell his disciples to buy sword' but at I will still respond to your last.

No scripture can be rightly interpreted without looking at other verses. God Himself testifies of it that it is a little here and a little there, and there is no scripture without its twin. So you see, all those scriptures do not contradict but compliment each other. The authors' perspectives are different and so their stories come across differently. That is where the Bible differ from the Qu'ran, we do not gather and burn other writings to come up with a politically correct one like is done with the Qu'ran.

Let me first educate you about the Quran before going into your bible that happened to be my first experience. Other writings might have been burnt but the fact remains, no two Quran, verses, chapter are different one completing each other as you have been deceiving yourself with that.
Paul made it known to us that the bible is inspirecas in 1st Timothy 3 v 16 and nobody should add to it or subtract from it in the boom of revelation. Now if really they all wrote according to inspiration, there shouldnt be any sort of contradiction in your book but we learnt that most of those writers were not there to witness the stories but wrote according to how they felt the issue. eg. Luke that told you that he handed it over to you from whom he received same from and decided to write to Theophilus, meaning that he wasnt there but wrote according to what he was given, besides, he wrote to Theophilus and to all of you and shouldnt have been included as part of the revelation of God to Jesus.

Let me stop there to read your story line grin

As to the story line, all the authors combined give us the full picture. While indeed Judas kissed Jesus to identify Him, the Soldiers asked Jesus to also identify Himself just to be sure that they are getting the right person. If I take the Police along with me to arrest someone, and I point out the person, it is only judicious of the Police to ask the accused to identify himslef also. This is only common sense.

Thou shall not lie. Let me serve you the two verses and you will see that in the first one, they did not know Jesus and he had to tell them that he was the one while the other verses says that Judas showed Juses to them by betraying him with a kiss.

Here I go:

First verse

John 18: 4 Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye?
5 They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them.
6 As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.
7 Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth.
8 Jesus answered, I have told you that I am he: if therefore ye seek me, let these go their way:

9 That the saying might be fulfilled, which he spake, Of them which thou gavest me have I lost none.
10 Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus.
11 Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?
12 Then the band and the captain and officers of the Jews took Jesus, and bound him,

We can see from the above verses that Judah stood there without even getting close to Jesus and they asked Jesus same question twice and he identified himself twice as well before Peter drew a sword and cut off one of them right' ear and theyy later took him away without Judas kissing Jesus.

Let us go into the second contradictory verses to see the fraud therein

Mark 14:44: 'And he that betrayed him had given them a token, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he; take him, and lead him away safely.'

In the above, Judas told them that whoever he kissed shouyld be arrested while in the first gospel, Judas never got close to Jesus let alone kissing him.

Also

Mark 14 v 44 - 46

14:44. And he that betrayed him had given them a sign, saying: Whomsoever I shall kiss, that is he. Lay hold on him: and lead him away carefully.

14:45. And when he was come, immediately going up to him he saith: Hail, Rabbi! And he kissed him.

14:46. But they laid hands on him and held him.

Going forward, we can see from the above that Jesus did not showed himself but Judas had to do that by kissing him.

Look at this too:

Matthew 26:48-50 (NIV)

48Now the betrayer had arranged a signal with them: "The one I kiss is the man; arrest him." 49Going at once to Jesus, Judas said, "Greetings, Rabbi!" and kissed him.

In any case, you have tried to dance around the subject being discussed by coming up with this.

You have been the one doing that after having served you the whole truth.

The bottom line is that Jesus had the power in His words alone to defend Himself as the scriptures here testified.

No, he couldnt do that without the support of his creator.

So there is absolutely no need for the sword.

You havent replied to why he commanded them to buy sword and if you are saying that he didnt mean physical sword, why didnt he rebuke Peter when he showed him physical sword.

That should get you to rethink your stance that Jesus needed swords to defend Himself.

He didnt want to die because he didnt come to die but to preach the gospel which God sent him to come and do and read your bible where he hid for Jews when he learnt they wanted to kill him, he prayed to God to deliver him and cried to God, 'why has thou forsaken me'

Besides, the same passage said Jesus knew all that was coming to Him, and He rebuked Peter after Peter declared that Jesus' death and suffering must not be allowed to happen. You want scriptures for that too?

He may be aware of things to happen because God might have showed him but he didnt come to die for you and there is nowhere in the OT where his death, crucifixion and resurrecting after three days was prophesised and if you think you have, let me have it.

Thanks
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by babs787(m): 4:27pm On Dec 20, 2007
@jesoul

Do I really need to reply this?

It is not compulsory that you must reply provided when you have no response to the issue at hand.

Anyone who's genuinely intrested in understanding that portion of scripture will get it, and anyone who's looking for another way to misconstrue and twist the words and intent of Jesus will continue to do so - regardless of anything anyone says
and babs787 - you are the latter.

Sister, you may deceive yourself for all I care. We are all reading the bible together and I have given you verses where they showed Jesus PHYSICAL SWORD and he couldnt rebuke them for that. Common, why did he tell them to buy sword and didnt caution when he showed him one?

@uspry1

Simple go getting the rented DVD gospel movie called "The Passion of the Christ", it tells everything from the begining through the Lord's Supper prayer, how Jesus is arrested, and why Jesus is crucified VERY CLEARLY!

Do you need to go to a movie before you will understand your bible. I have been serving you verses from your bible witthout twisting anything from it. Jesus after being shown the physical swords said it was enough. Are you saying here that he was not referring to a physical sword. Common dont do that. grin

As for the issue of his crucifixion, you can always create a thread for that and I will follow suit.

Thanks
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by TayoD1(m): 4:56pm On Dec 20, 2007
@babs787,

You stylishly deflected the thread with the claim that you would respond to the issue of 'why Jesus tell his disciples to buy sword' but at I will still respond to your last.
Are you for real? The fact that I provided you proof that Jesus does not need physical sword to defend himself is deflecting the thread? Do you know the meaning of that word or you just don't know how to reason out a matter?

Let me first educate you about the Quran before going into your bible that happened to be my first experience. Other writings might have been burnt but the fact remains, no two Quran, verses, chapter are different one completing each other as you have been deceiving yourself with that.
Don't deceive yourself. It wasn't other writings that were burnt. It was the Qu'ran that was burnt. The stronger man burnt the copies of those who were weaker and presented his copy as the only valid one. What makes you think that it is his copy that is authentic? Of course there is no competition becuase in the spirit of islam, the stronger one has killed off the weaker one, and claiming himself to be right. Assuming the makers of the KJV Bible destroys other translations of the Bible, does that make the KJV right? Absolutely not. Same with the Koran.

Thou shall not lie. Let me serve you the two verses and you will see that in the first one, they did not know Jesus and he had to tell them that he was the one while the other verses says that Judas showed Juses to them by betraying him with a kiss.
Again, your inability to reason clearly has betrayed your judgment. Let me bring your attention to the narration int the book of John where jesus identified Himself.  John 18:4 5 They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. You should ask yourself the question, how did Judas betray Jesus? The answer is with a Kiss. Now even though John did not mention the actual kiss, he clearly indicated that at the point that Jesus identified Himself, Judas had already betrayed Him and was now standing back with the troops. For those who are not blinded by allah, it is clear that the betrayal with a kiss was a separate event that already took place at the time Jesus identified Himslef. This is how all scriptures work together in tandem to create a clear understanding.

I'll continue from here. I have a meeting now.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by babs787(m): 5:57pm On Dec 20, 2007
@Tayo-D

Are you for real? The fact that I provided you proof that Jesus does not need physical sword to defend himself is deflecting the thread? Do you know the meaning of that word or you just don't know how to reason out a matter?

You have never provided any proof but exposed the fraud in your bible. Now if you are saying that he was not referring to physical sword, why did he tell that it was ok when shown one?

Luke 22 v 38: Then they said: “Lord, look! here are two swords.” He said to them: “It is enough.”

What do you think he meant by 'it is enough'/ Was he not referring to the physical swords shown to him/ Common, you read to understand and not to argue blindly.

Don't deceive yourself. It wasn't other writings that were burnt. It was the Qu'ran that was burnt. The stronger man burnt the copies of those who were weaker and presented his copy as the only valid one. What makes you think that it is his copy that is authentic? Of course there is no competition becuase in the spirit of islam, the stronger one has killed off the weaker one, and claiming himself to be right. Assuming the makers of the KJV Bible destroys other translations of the Bible, does that make the KJV right? Absolutely not. Same with the Koran.

Brother you may keep confusing yourself for all I care. For peace to reign, let us say the Quran was burnt and that is how it should have been so that muslims wouldnt be facing what you are facing now. If you have burnt all those false versions and stick to some that are being guarded religiously, all these brouhaha wouldnt have been happening. The Quran is always right and will always be but the bible can not be said to be because some versions are omitting some verses, some early publications omitting some verses while they are present in later publications, contradictions here and there in the so called inspired word of God and they are all claiming to be from God through inspiration.

Again, your iability to reason clearly has betrayed your judgment. Let me bring your attention to the narration int the book of John where jesus identified Himself. John 18:4 5 They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. You should ask yourself the question, how did Judas betray Jesus? The answer is with a Kiss.

I dont like liar and you have shown it that you are a hypocrite. I dont like a situation whereby people will see the truth and avoid same. You are trying to tell me that the word' betrayed' used therein referred to the kiss Judas gave to Jesus. Well, let me lecture you a little. Go to to the story of the passover where all were siting at the table and Jesus identified Judas as the betrayal before Judas could even arrange with the Romans.

From the beginning he knew that he would be betrayed, hence

On the fourth day after His triumphant entrance into Jerusalem, Jesus Christ said to His disciples, "You know that after two days the Passover is coming, and the Son of man will be delivered up to be crucified."

He had known from the beginning that someone would betrayed him hence:

John 6:64-65

"'64Yet there are some of you who do not believe.' For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him.
65He went on to say, 'This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him.' , Then Jesus replied, 'Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!'

From the above, we could see that Jesus had already identified judas as the traitor before his arrest because we learnt that satan entered him.

The betrayal happened in such a way that Judas conspired with the Romans to hand over Jesus to them.

[1] Now the Feast of Unleavened Bread, called the Passover, was approaching,
[2] and the chief priests and the teachers of the law were looking for some way to get rid of Jesus, for they were afraid of the people.
[3] Then Satan entered Judas, called Iscariot, one of the Twelve.
[4] And Judas went to the chief priests and the officers of the temple guard and discussed with them how he might betray Jesus.
[5] They were delighted and agreed to give him money.
[6] He consented, and watched for an opportunity to hand Jesus over to them when no crowd was present.

Now we learnt in the above verses that satan entered Judas and discussed how to hand over Jesus to them and waited for opportunity to do that because people are always present.

And after satan had entered him:

Luke 22v 4-5
"And Judas went to the chief priests and the officers of the temple guard and discussed with them how he might betray Jesus. They were delighted and agreed to give him money."

Now, there is no any need for Romans not to have known Jesus because he preached openly and people know him very well. The Romans must both maintain the fragile peace in the city of Jerusalem and at the same time get rid of Jesus. They are concerned about how to get Jesus alone and just then the answer to their problem walks in the door, Judas an insider provided the information on how and where to get him.

Brother, the betrayal meant there is not the kiss but Judas leading them to where Jesus was, free from crowd that would not be able to resist the arrest. They used Judas because he knew Jesus' movement and knew that the best time to arrest him would be when he was alone, free from listeners. So your assumption wont work here because even, the verses made it known to us that Judas stood watching after having taken them there but didnt kiss jesus in opposition to another verse but Jesus had to do the identification himself.

Now even though John did not mention the actual kiss, he clearly indicated that at the point that Jesus identified Himself, Judas had already betrayed Him and was now standing back with the troops. For those who are not blinded by allah, it is clear that the betrayal with a kiss was a separate event that already took place at the time Jesus identified Himslef. This is how all scriptures work together in tandem to create a clear understanding.

Now, you further exposed your falsehood. There is nowhere in the verses given to you that said that Judas betrayed him with a kiss and stood back, the verses said that Judas stood watching and Jesus asked them who they were looking for and they had to tell him Jesus and he told them he was the one. Now, if you cant think straight without being blinded by your bible, there is no way Judas would have kissed him and people would still be asking if he was the one. The betrayal therein happened when Judas took them to where Jesus was for easy arrest devoid of crowd that would put up any form of resistance.

So no twisting the verses please. You are dealing with someone that was like you. grin

I may likely be around when you come back from your meeting.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by TayoD1(m): 6:14pm On Dec 20, 2007
@babs787,

Going forward, we can see from the above that Jesus did not showed himself but Judas had to do that by kissing him.
I have helped you already to understand simple timeline from my response above. Jesus identified Himself to the troops only after Judas betrayed Him already with a kiss. That fact is very clear.

No, he couldnt do that without the support of his creator.
First you claim I should show you the scripture which I did. Instead of you to acknowledge the fact that indeed jesus does not need swords to defend Himself, you are claiming there is no way He could have defended Himself without His creator. If I may ask, is it not the same Creator who confirmed that Jesus willingnly submitted Himself to death on the cross by displaying such power that caused the entire troop to fall just by the spoken word of Jesus?

You havent replied to why he commanded them to buy sword and if you are saying that he didnt mean physical sword, why didnt he rebuke Peter when he showed him physical sword.
He didn't rebuke Peter the same way He would not rebuke me today if I carry a gun around legitimately. I'll answer the questions about sword separately after this.

He didnt want to die because he didnt come to die but to preach the gospel which God sent him to come and do
If I should provide you with all the scriptures that showed Jesus expressly talking about His death and that He came to die, we would have to keep turning pages on this topic. Again, your lack of knowledge of the Bible is evident from the statement. It is one thing to be killed and it is another to die at the right time. The right time was after the Garden of Gethsemane which is the only reason why Jesus gave Himself up to the troops.

and read your bible where he hid for Jews when he learnt they wanted to kill him, he prayed to God to deliver him and cried to God, 'why has thou forsaken me'
Again, your ignorance of the scriptures shines through here. Jesus never cried 'why has thou forsaken me when the Jews wanted to kill Him. Rather, that statement was made on the cross after he was crucified by the Romans. And in any case, His statement of "Why has thou forsaken me" is what is called a rhetorical question. I trust you know what that means?

He may be aware of things to happen because God might have showed him but he didnt come to die for you and there is nowhere in the OT where his death, crucifixion and resurrecting after three days was prophesised and if you think you have, let me have it.
Again, you are going on rampage with ignorance here. There are dozens of prophecies relating to Jesus' death and resurrection in the OT. Perhaps you want to start with the fact that His statement on the Cross of "why has thou forsaken me" is taken directly from the OT prophecy relating to Jesus in the Psalms. Maybe you should start from there.

(1) (2) (Reply)

“i Invite You To Accept Islam. / Why Do Most Pastors' Kids Misbehave? / Winners Chapel Preacher Beats Muslim Lady For Refusing To Accept Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.