Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,256 members, 7,822,307 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:49 AM

How To Setup A Customized Email With Your Domain Name Using Gmail - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Setup A Customized Email With Your Domain Name Using Gmail (3192 Views)

How To Setup And Start A Blog / 7 Tips For Selecting Your Domain Name / How To Convert From . To A Custom Domain Name Using Godaddy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Setup A Customized Email With Your Domain Name Using Gmail by Frosti(m): 9:39pm On Jun 09, 2012
This is how i created personal customized emails(admin@onwaweb.com and some others) for my blog at www.onwaweb.com using Gmail. The tutorial is from the nice folks at http://wp.tutsplus.com . You should check them out if you have a wordpress site, the have nice tutorials.

Gmail has done email so well that it doesn’t make sense to get email anywhere else, especially when gmail is free.

This tutorial will help you set up Gmail for a unique domain name for your business, blog, or whatever you’ve built on WordPress:
yourname@yourdomain.com.

Step 1 Specify the Domain for Google
To start out, visit the Google Apps c-panel at https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/standard/new3, and specify the domain you’d like to use for your email address. Type your domain into the field, and hit submit.

Source: http://wp.tutsplus.com/tutorials/hosting/connecting-a-wordpress-domain-to-google-apps/
Re: How To Setup A Customized Email With Your Domain Name Using Gmail by Frosti(m): 9:42pm On Jun 09, 2012
Step 2 Express Install First, you need to choose whether you want to do the Express Install, ideal for on person installs, or the Custom Install, where you can test out various apps
for a few different users.

For our purposes, we’ll go ahead and do the Express Install. It takes about 30 minutes, and involves verifying domain ownership, setting up users and groups, and mobile access.
Re: How To Setup A Customized Email With Your Domain Name Using Gmail by Frosti(m): 9:52pm On Jun 09, 2012
Step 3 Verifying Domain Ownership

This is the longest part of the tutorial, so bear with me and we’ll get through it. In order to prove that you actually own the domain
and have legal rights to send and receive email from the domain, you have to verify your domain. This prevents mischievous folks from registering email addresses like yourname@cnn.com, or thepresident@whitehouse.gov.

You can select various ways to prove ownership, including using FTP to upload an HTML file to your site, adding tags to the head of your site, and the way that we’re going to do it: using a plugin! Before this plugin existed, it was cumbersome to validate your domain, because none of the above methods are straightforward for the average user.

Plugins are part of what make WordPress so great for so many people. Note: You don’t have to do anything else inside Google Apps at this point.

Plugins -> Add New.

Then search for “Google Site Verification Plugin. Click “install now” to install the plugin to your site.

You’ll go to a status screen that tells you the plugin has been successfully installed. Now you have to activate the plugin. Select “activate plugin,” and you’ll be taken back to your installed plugins list.

In order to verify your domain, find the google site verification plugin, and click “Verify.” You’ll arrive at the site verification start dialogue. Click “Start Verification.”

You’ll be taken to a Google page that explains a third party, WordPress, is requesting permission to access your account. Select continue.

You can check out the source for more info and details.
http://wp.tutsplus.com/tutorials/hosting/connecting-a-wordpress-domain-to-google-apps/
Re: How To Setup A Customized Email With Your Domain Name Using Gmail by mrperfect(m): 10:37pm On Jun 09, 2012
Thank you for your time.
Re: How To Setup A Customized Email With Your Domain Name Using Gmail by zangiff(m): 6:40am On Jun 10, 2012
Am on blogger,can i use it
Re: How To Setup A Customized Email With Your Domain Name Using Gmail by databoy247(m): 7:14am On Jun 10, 2012
Nice tip. But since i hate stress (and this process seem stressful), i simply forward all my mails meant for my customized email directly to my yahoo email account. So when you send me an email on example@databoy.com, i will read the mail on my yahoo account.
Re: How To Setup A Customized Email With Your Domain Name Using Gmail by Frosti(m): 9:55am On Jun 10, 2012
zangiff: Am on blogger,can i use it
If it is a custom domain, and you have access to your DNS and can create A Records, you can do it. But it's not possible for . subdomains.
Re: How To Setup A Customized Email With Your Domain Name Using Gmail by Frosti(m): 9:58am On Jun 10, 2012
mrperfect: Thank you for your time.
You are welcome.

databoy247: Nice tip. But since i hate stress (and this process seem stressful), i simply forward all my mails meant for my customized email directly to my yahoo email account. So when you send me an email on example@databoy.com, i will read the mail on my yahoo account.
Redirecting your emails is different, you can only receive in your inbox.
But with this, you can send and receive, right from your Gmail account.

(1) (Reply)

Gossipnigeria247 Is A New Community Website Feed And OLX Website In Nigeria / Leading Jaquar Bathroom Fitting Dealers Delhi / Lagbook Expands To Include All Nigerians!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.