Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? (16588 Views)

Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? / why anything God Does Or Commanded Morally Good; Can We Be Justified To Do Same / What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by SNCOQ3(m): 1:43am On Jun 15, 2012
401kk:

Morality has always been based on religion. Where do you think morals come from?

Man is a moral being because he is created in the image and likeness of a moral God. Even when a man denies God's existence; he'll still be morally conscious albeit subjective - morality looses its objectiveness and becomes a matter of preference.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
matt 22:36-40

v36 - "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"

v37 - Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind".
v38 - This is the first and greatest commandment.

v39 - And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'

v40 - The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments." (NLT)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st. Love of God
2nd. Love for neighbor

if the 1st is obeyed, the second becomes imperative.
If the 1st is ignored, the 2nd loses its value and objectiveness and Love itself becomes a notion subject to personal interpretation.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by SNCOQ3(m): 2:02am On Jun 15, 2012
2good:

You are completely narrow minded for thinking morality is a product of religion. I wouldn't continue this argument because religion blanks the mind and prevent one from thinking outside a restricted space so no matter what I say, you will not budge, so continue to believe what you want to while allowing others to have freedom to live their life the way they want irrespective of whether it contradicts your ideology.

Speaking of narrow mindedness, do you truly have an idea what happens when atheists gain complete control of any society or institution?

I hope you'll be open minded to see this video, thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIZAAh_6OXg&feature=related
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by 401kk: 2:40am On Jun 15, 2012
LOL.
I never knew I was talking to some ignorant atheists. Goodbye
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by 2good(m): 7:45am On Jun 15, 2012
SNCOQ3:

Speaking of narrow mindedness, do you truly have an idea what happens when atheists gain complete control of any society or institution?

I hope you'll be open minded to see this video, thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIZAAh_6OXg&feature=related

What you just did is Cherry Picking. I watched the video completely. Science and Religion don't mix you have to understand that. You documentary was basically about science rejecting the creationist theories. What do you think will happen if I send a Darwinian write up to a Christian organisation for publication? Do you think they will accept it? The problem is that there are more Christians in the world than any other religious groups no thanks to the acceptance of the faith by Emperor Constantine who ruled the Roman Empire from 306 to 337 and was able to use his power to replace the Roman gods with the Christian God from where the religion spread out to its current state. Mere mention of Atheism in Nigeria raises irritation from people because they have been indoctrinated and brainwashed from birth to believe that a non believe in god is bad.
I also have alot of Muslim friend mainly from Iran and trust me, they believe Christians are lost and not worshipping the true god. We can go back and forth on this and at the end, your belief is most likely the believe you inherited from your parent which tells you that religion is nothing different from culture which people try to keep to preserve their identity. What about the Bhuddist and those those practicing Hinduism? I have these guys as friends and sometime I wonder how people from different part of the world get deeply influenced by their cultural/religious upbringing. They all believe that they worship the right god, and the only reason why Christians and Muslim dominate Nairaland is because Nairaland is a Nigerian website and Christianity and Islam are the 2 dominant religion in Nigeria. The non Christian societies in the Middle East and Asia have their own definition of morility.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by SNCOQ3(m): 7:18am On Jun 16, 2012
2good:
What you just did is Cherry Picking.
How? I am not trying to be delibrately mischievious. You don't expect me to present both an argument and the counter-argument i am not aware of. Except you mean the video is biased in which case i have to wonder if that's because you did'nt watch it unbiased.

I watched the video completely.
Thats commendable. You're different.

Science and Religion don't mix you have to understand that.

I understand what you mean but the word 'mix' is a bit tricky.
Religion basically emphasizes why it happened
Science basically emphasizes how it happened
The the real issue is that people who're not aware of the difference mix it up.
Cases where the Bible explains how, Its usually in qualitative terms not by quantitative analysis like a science textbook.

You might find this interesting:http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/sciencebible.html

Religious belief does not stand in the way of scientic advancement because the contrary, more often than not, is proven to be the case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_thinkers_in_science

You documentary was basically about science rejecting the creationist theories.
No. Its about the Atheistic scientist Establishment rejecting I.D theories in the name of 'for the sake of science'.
Somebody puts it more aptly: Its about people with PHDs on both sides using the same evidence to support their perspective on how the world began.

What do you think will happen if I send a Darwinian write up to a Christian organisation for publication? Do you think they will accept it?
It will be thrown out; Understandably so. Your analogy is akin to sending the Bible to Atheist Alliance Int'l(AAI) for publication. We are talking about the Academia here.

The problem is that there are more Christians in the world than any other religious groups no thanks to the acceptance of the faith by Emperor Constantine who ruled the Roman Empire from 306 to 337 and was able to use his power to replace the Roman gods with the Christian God from where the religion spread out to its current state.
In regards to the spread of christianity from inception till date, your explanation is overly simplistic.
Besides, Christians, pre-Constantine, paid with their blood - the most odious of persecution to spread the gospel. Also note that Constantine just didn't wake up one morning to become a christian - A miracle preceded it.

Mere mention of Atheism in Nigeria raises irritation from people because they have been indoctrinated and brainwashed from birth to believe that a non believe in god is bad.
Why speak for Atheists? At least we can consider some Agnostics as people who're standing in the middle of a crossroad. 'Atheism' is a very strong word; So is 'brainwashing' and 'indoctrination'. Christians in Nigeria where brought up to love God, not to hate Atheists. won't speak for other religion. We are commanded in the bible to 'love the sinner not the sin'.
BTW, my neighbor is an Agnostic. Very troublesome man grin

I also have alot of Muslim friend mainly from Iran and trust me, they believe Christians are lost and not worshipping the true god.
No biggie, we all interact at work and play. Lagos is a tolerant place. I preach to moslems on the street whenever i have the opportunity. Sometimes we debate.

We can go back and forth on this and at the end, your belief is most likely the believe you inherited from your parent which tells you that religion is nothing different from culture which people try to keep to preserve their identity.
You're partly correct. But in my case, Its not what as sustained it. I am naturally a rebel. Very inquisitive, fearless and a non-conformist from childhood and their are other Nigerians like that. Their are also Atheist who converted to christianity has adults; perhaps you should study more about C.S Lewis and others.

What about the Bhuddist and those those practicing Hinduism? I have these guys as friends and sometime I wonder how people from different part of the world get deeply influenced by their cultural/religious upbringing. They all believe that they worship the right god, and the only reason why Christians and Muslim dominate Nairaland is because Nairaland is a Nigerian website and Christianity and Islam are the 2 dominant religion in Nigeria. The non Christian societies in the Middle East and Asia have their own definition of morility.

When you are faced with contrary views: We can all be wrong or only one is correct.

-edit- Distortions of the "idea" of God could lead to multiplicity of moral systems. Thats a fact.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Brandios: 12:21pm On Jul 25, 2017
You can examine https://writemypaper4me.org/ for even more great writing tips contributed by advanced writers.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Eviana(f): 3:29pm On Oct 23, 2020
I see that this thread was created years ago, before I stumbled upon this site.
Great question though.
Answer: A RESOUNDING NO!
Exact same behavior... just different countries on different countinents.
Nairaland has beautifully shown me that there's no difference.
Sometimes I forget that I'm on a Nigerian website. Reminds me so much of the U.S....sadly.
One is clearly more oppressed than the other in a huge sense...which makes folks live deceptively.
Living "religously" & "biblically-intellectually" without a personal relationship with the Savior means "0".
Praying for both of my countries.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Sladem05: 1:16am On Apr 03
PAGAN9JA:

Wrong. The Chiefs being intimate bit is very rare and occurs only in some isolated cases. immoral nonetheless, but there are very few Chiefs to start with and majority are not like that.

Polygamy, mostly in northern areas. yet i have noticed that very few actually do it. also the USA has plygamy (have ou heard of those mormon christian men having 100 wives)

Child Labour is not a moral issue. it is more of a poverty issue. they have no choice or else they go hungry and die.

also as i mentioned, i was not referring to the governing bodies. I was referring to the common man, especially the villagers who are very simple and constitute the majority of Nigerian populace.

Overall morality, i would say that Nigeria fares better, though i cannot say anything about the long term.

This is crazy how can a coutnry like the US becomes to a country with bandits, terrorism, cultists and so on.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Kobojunkie: 2:45am On Apr 03
Sladem05:
∆ This is crazy how can a coutnry like the US becomes to a country with bandits, terrorism, cultists and so on.
This thread is all sorts of funny! Imagine the comparisons! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Sladem05: 2:50am On Apr 03
phreakabit:
Morally? YES we are!. . . Reasons:

1, You don't see 16 year old "baby mommas" everywhere (Typical of Latinos and African Black Americans)

2, You don't see MOST of our teenagers experimenting with drugs: [size=18pt]Sniffing Nutmeg[/size], Bath salt, doing mushrooms or doing Salvia (hallucinogens in general, as in the case of America.

3, I am yet to attend or hear of a teenage rave party in Nigeria (You know how rave parties are).

I could mention more but I have stuff to do ATM. . . I check back later .

Bandits, Cultists, Terrorists etc sound very morally Choi’s don’t they?
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Sladem05: 2:58am On Apr 03
Kobojunkie:

It is ridiculous. African society is extremely brutal and harsh. There is little to empathy in that region especially when looking at the level of insecurity in the country. This is madness. If you got hit by a car in Nigeria. The driver will Japa out of there and even start cursing you. If that was in the US, There would be requirements like administering first aid and so on. If someone is about to go to critical condition in the US. 911 is a dial away. In Nigeria, the person will pass away peacefully. Nigerian government has absolutely no regard for their citizens. At least the US government has some moral compass. Western politicians are glorifed civil servants.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Sladem05: 3:46pm On Apr 03
Kobojunkie:

If someone ran over you in Nigeria with a car. You’re a dead man. They will curse you for being in their way. If it was in the US, they would at least be like “Someone call 911, apply first aid and wait for help to arrive”

Developed countries are not just better from an economic standpoint. But also socially, politically and morally. The developed is by no means perfect. Police Brutality, Racial Discrimination and so on. But compared to Nigeria, It is Disneyland.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

5 Benefits Of Praying In Tongues / Testimony Of A Nairalander Who Got Healed Of Bed Wetting At 19 / Why Do You Sleep In Church Even With The Loud Speakers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.