Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,225 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Becoming A Database Administrator. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Becoming A Database Administrator. (1601 Views)

Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn? / Connecting To A Database Using Visual Basic / What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Becoming A Database Administrator. by Taiwohmo: 5:04pm On Jun 12, 2012
Good day to everyone.
I am very interested in database management but I don't know where to start from.
I went to an ICT training institute and they showed me different database courses such as SQL, OCA and OCP.
I have always been hearing about OCA but the institute told me that I need to do SQL before going for OCA.
Now, I am confused of what to start with, pls can I need advice on what course to start with.
Also, I will like experienced database administrator to kindly explain the difference between SQL and OCA, and the benefit or advantage of each.
Thank you very much as you reply.
Re: Becoming A Database Administrator. by Javanian: 7:14pm On Jun 12, 2012
I'm not a databse administrator but i may be of little help SQL means structured query language. It is the language used to manipulate and manage database...and you dont need any institute to teach you sql...you can use this site http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_intro.asp to learn SQL...its not difficult...while OCA means oracle databse Associates...it is a certfication given to professionals who make use of Oracle application server...which is the database itself...Though i may be wrong...but i hope i was of help...Next time try using http://www.google.com.ng It really helps
Re: Becoming A Database Administrator. by Javanian: 7:37pm On Jun 12, 2012
Re: Becoming A Database Administrator. by OroboChoperOC(m): 12:54am On Jun 13, 2012
I used to be a DBA, it's fun but to be a good DBA you have to be ready to sacrifice your time and life.

Oracle is popular hence jobs are many, however I think the future is Microsoft SQL server.

There are many good books, the best information can be found on the MSDN website.

1 Like

Re: Becoming A Database Administrator. by Taiwohmo: 1:08am On Jun 15, 2012
I really appreciate all those that have responded to this post. I have been able to gain one thing or the other.
Thank you very much.
Re: Becoming A Database Administrator. by Isiri: 6:03pm On Jun 20, 2012
@Javanian good bro,can u pls gimme ur email.i want u to enlighten me on this database
Re: Becoming A Database Administrator. by Javanian: 6:07pm On Jun 20, 2012
@isiri ask any question here and i'll answer to the best of my ability...for the benefit others...
Re: Becoming A Database Administrator. by Isiri: 7:07pm On Jun 20, 2012
@Javanian.....tnks u bro.i want to learn about programming and other stuff related but have little knowledge about computer,so i no notin about programming or watever.i dont knw if u can help me out or suggest an institution for me to get started.tnks
Re: Becoming A Database Administrator. by Javanian: 7:28pm On Jun 20, 2012
Hmmm..... You dont need any institution to learn programming all you need is a laptop, internet access and Determination to learn(because it aint easy) Start by learning HTML and CSS here http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp or here http://www.tutorialspoint.com/html/index.htm ....They are the foundation....after which you can choose any other language you will like to learn depending on if you are going into software or web developement or Both....You might like to learn JAVA, PHP, PYTHON or C# ...depending on you...Hope this helps...
Re: Becoming A Database Administrator. by Isiri: 9:17pm On Jun 20, 2012
Tnks so much bro,I will give it a trial. Tnks

(1) (Reply)

For Game Developers.. / Setting Up Database For Huge Sites / USD Visa Virtual Card | Fund With Bitcoin | Pay Anywhere Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.