Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,725 members, 7,827,634 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

Pictures Of The Week - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pictures Of The Week (3958 Views)

Abomination Of The Week...as Akpabio Dares God! / Question Of The week For APC / #TREANDING: Joke Of The Week (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pictures Of The Week by egin(m): 3:59pm On Nov 24, 2007
The ugly state of Lagos primary schools (PICTURES)
You be the judge.

Re: Pictures Of The Week by mazaje(m): 4:19pm On Nov 24, 2007
People sit on floors in nigerian universities so this is nothing new. my heart bleeds for that bastard country with all its heartless citizens.
Re: Pictures Of The Week by Kobojunkie: 5:13pm On Nov 24, 2007
The weirdest part of this all is that a couple of months ago, I told a friend of mine ,who happens to live in Nigeria, about how appalling the state of the public school system is in Nigeria and she disagreed with me, and went ahead to compare the public schools here in the USA with those in Nigeria. That part of the argument completely missed me. I came to a point where I decided that maybe I had the wrong information about the state of the school system in the country and decided to do more research on the matter. I tried to contact the FME down there but got to reply. The country's own ministry of education's site had terrible pictures of schools in the country that I wanted to confirm. Pictures of students studying under trees and sitting in rooms with muddy floors. Makes me wonder how people living in the same country do not see this as appalling.
Re: Pictures Of The Week by iykrion(m): 7:15pm On Nov 24, 2007
mazaje:

People sit on floors in nigerian universities so this is nothing new. my heart bleeds for that bastard country with all its heartless citizens.

Why the sweeping generalisation? Not all Nigerians are heartless you know.

@topic,
You even posted better pictures. At least these ones have roofs over their heads and seats for some pupils.
This is the same Lagos that is claiming to be a mega city in few years time. Our leaders keep dreaming untill their tenure exhausts. May God help us.
Re: Pictures Of The Week by Nobody: 7:30pm On Nov 24, 2007
The joys of universal basic education!
Soon those kids would be proud owners of $100 laptops . . . our government is indeed working!
Re: Pictures Of The Week by Bankole01(m): 8:35pm On Nov 24, 2007
davidylan:

The joys of universal basic education!
Soon those kids would be proud owners of $100 laptops . . . our government is indeed working!

That I will wait to see.
Can you buy a laptop for $100? whats in it, anything?
Re: Pictures Of The Week by Kobojunkie: 8:38pm On Nov 24, 2007
Bankole01:

That I will wait to see.
Can you buy a laptop for $100? whats in it, anything?

http://laptop.org/

Another move by western countries to help push things forward in Africa ( BASICALLY DO OUR WORK FOR US SINCE WE HAVE SO FAR FAILED TO DO IT FOR SELF).
Re: Pictures Of The Week by Bankole01(m): 8:48pm On Nov 24, 2007
Kobojunkie:

http://laptop.org/

Another move by western countries to help push things forward in Africa ( BASICALLY DO OUR WORK FOR US SINCE WE HAVE SO FAR FAILED TO DO IT FOR SELF).

The program is running iin Canada and USA only. Nowhere does it say it is being done in Nigeria, not does it say the laptop cost only $100!.
I can't see any present government in Nigeria doing that. Even if the can, the cost will be prohibitive. Do you know how many millions of children we have in elementary schools alone?

what they need to do is to establish computer labs in every school, with about six computers for each. The local and State governments should pay for them also.
Re: Pictures Of The Week by Kobojunkie: 8:54pm On Nov 24, 2007
Bankole01:

The program is running iin Canada and USA only. Nowhere does it say it is being done in Nigeria, not does it say the laptop cost only $100!.
I can't see any present government in Nigeria doing that. Even if the can, the cost will be prohibitive. Do you know how many millions of children we have in elementary schools alone?

what they need to do is to establish computer labs in every school, with about six computers for each. The local and State governments should pay for them also.

You misread. The program does not run in Canada or the USA, infact, kids here do not need $100 dollar laptops at all. The program is offering parents a chance to buy it as a toy for their kids here in the developed world and then at the same time buy one for a needy child in the developing world. Many of the kids here are spotting $600 laptops. The project is actually there in Nigeria already. Please research more information on the site to get additional exposure to it. Well, I know I have already seen kids with the machines in naija but considering we are speaking of naija here, Lord knows!!! but there are many similar projects out there to help africa. 

http://www.laptop.org/index.yo.html

http://www.laptop.org/index.ig.html

http://www.laptop.org/en/vision/progress/index.shtml
Re: Pictures Of The Week by Nobody: 9:49pm On Nov 24, 2007
Bankole01:

The program is running iin Canada and USA only.

What "program"? You think Bill Gates and co are producing those laptops for American kids? Most of them are using laptops adults in Nigeria can only dream of.
Sorry, American kids cant play Halo 3 on $100 laptops. tongue
Re: Pictures Of The Week by janami(f): 7:57pm On Nov 25, 2007
These pictures are even ok. u shld ve seen the state secondary school i served in. really bad situation
Re: Pictures Of The Week by babasin(m): 2:58pm On Nov 26, 2007
@janami,

where is that place in your profile in Nigeria?

looks very good to be naija
Re: Pictures Of The Week by ojimboIV: 3:49pm On Nov 26, 2007
poor little sweet things sad. if only they knew their aunties and uncles (greedy LG heads) masterminded the degradation of the system. what a shame.
Re: Pictures Of The Week by Kobojunkie: 7:33pm On Nov 26, 2007
Masterwhat
Re: Pictures Of The Week by janami(f): 10:45am On Nov 27, 2007
babasin:

@janami,

where is that place in your profile in Nigeria?

looks very good to be naija

naija ke? smtg i jst got out of my pc to fill the profile page
Re: Pictures Of The Week by ojimboIV: 11:26am On Nov 27, 2007
Kobojunkie:

Masterwhat
i don't know if you are miscalculating, what i meant was the poor learning conditions of these kids.
Re: Pictures Of The Week by Mariory(m): 6:50pm On Nov 27, 2007
Re: Pictures Of The Week by Abedisi(m): 7:06pm On Nov 27, 2007
speechless @ the sight of that picture. This leaders have not only looted but they have destroyed and wasted lots of lives with there selfish goals,
Re: Pictures Of The Week by dafman(m): 8:30pm On Nov 27, 2007
This is really sad. Imagine the conditions kids have to study in, is it too much to build ordinary classrooms, what do these governors do in their states by the way?
Re: Pictures Of The Week by benedo(m): 4:17pm On Nov 28, 2007
I saw the pics and i got this sinking feeling in my stomach,yet some idiots somewhere has been using taxpayers money to buy fuel for jeeps and pick ups they drive about, used in harrasing law abiding citizens about their mode of dressing.
Re: Pictures Of The Week by Kobojunkie: 6:03pm On Nov 28, 2007
benedo:

I saw the pics and i got this sinking feeling in my stomach,yet some idiots somewhere has been using taxpayers money to buy fuel for jeeps and pick ups they drive about, used in harrasing law abiding citizens about their mode of dressing.

If you ask me, I believe it is up to the Nigerian people to take the bull by the horn and do what needs to be done while we wait and pray for the day we can take out all those thieves to firing squad. Imagine this. Over 75 million Nigerians are considered very poor, meaning they can not even afford private schools and so their kids are sent to schools like this in school year 2007 /2008. The Federal Ministry of Education started a program called ADOPT A SCHOOL so individuals and organizations can take it on themselves to rectify the situation in schools but provided them no way of actually getting, maybe federal grants or some sort of funding from the ministry to help in any way. Basically, the ministry already is telling us we have to do it on our own if we really want anything done. I mean it has been that way for decades now so why don't we do it for our own good
Re: Pictures Of The Week by Orikinla(m): 10:28pm On Nov 28, 2007
Have you been to St. Finbarr's College, Akoka, Lagos?

The old boys and old girls of these neglected schools can improve the standards.

I am working on improving St. Matthia's Primary School, Lafiaji, Lagos. I don't have to wait for the old boys who are now millionaires to do so.
Leadership is best by example.

Re: Pictures Of The Week by toshmann(m): 11:57pm On Nov 28, 2007
leave this story about leadership b example abeg, the govt has this responsibility, the resources are there, why cant the resources be put into education? and pls tell the americans and canadians not to waste their money and time buying laptops for kids in nigeria, let them use that money to fill up the libraries of the schools with up to date books and to improve the facilities in the schools. buying those laptops would only lead to ephemeral joy. in 2 months most of those laptops would break down due to carelessness and no money to repair them. . . . and by the way, where is the nepa to help them use the laptops?

we need the schools to be eguipped with basic facilities. . . a good teacher, decent classes, chairs, well dressed pupils, excercise books and workbooks, windows and doors in the classrooms, roofs over the classrooms, chalks etc. let us get these first then we can think of laptops.

nigeria my nigeria sad
Re: Pictures Of The Week by Kobojunkie: 12:21am On Nov 29, 2007
The laptops are not really powered with electricity. That happens to be one of the main issues put to table in the design of the laptops. I agree, I am not much for the laptops as I am for building the schools but that job is not really for foreign countries to do for us.
Re: Pictures Of The Week by ubamu2029: 12:27am On Nov 29, 2007
Picture of this week.

The poor state of the nigerian police.

Re: Pictures Of The Week by folahann(m): 12:41am On Nov 29, 2007
Honestly, i don't believe such thing can be seen in a state like lagos and how come the parents of those kids still keep them there. This is happening while some people are always smiling all the way to the bank with there kids learning in an airconditioned classroom ; this is too bad a case
Re: Pictures Of The Week by folahann(m): 12:46am On Nov 29, 2007
Please stop kidding me, that cannot be a policeman. That picture is for something else, infact am sure nobody will believe you
Re: Pictures Of The Week by egin(m): 1:21am On Nov 29, 2007
ubamu2029:

Picture of this week.

The poor state of the nigerian police.
You go kill person oooooooooooooo.
The policeman picture looks like a 19th century hunter.
This cannot be true.
Re: Pictures Of The Week by tollu: 1:25am On Nov 29, 2007
Ubamu2029 LOL
Re: Pictures Of The Week by mrpataki(m): 8:46am On Nov 29, 2007
@ Ubamu,

That was funny man! grin grin grin

Re: Pictures Of The Week by Purist(m): 11:35am On Nov 29, 2007
The situation is so sad.  It really bleeds my heart to see the supposed "leaders of tomorrow" learning under such abysmal conditions.  This is one of the reasons why we at the New Nigeria Club have decided to take it upon ourselves to help solve these problems in the little way we can.  If anyone truly desires a change, why not join us to be a part of this revolutionary project?  I think we have "talked", "complained" and "suggested" enough.  It's high time we began to ACT!
Re: Pictures Of The Week by Kobojunkie: 1:44am On Dec 03, 2007

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Govt Officials Opened 73,000 Fake Pension Accounts / APC Lied! Buhari Will Not Speak At Chatham House / You Can Walk Around Naked, Provided Your Face Is Covered” – Muslim Cleric Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.