Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,597 members, 7,955,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:13 PM

What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? (36427 Views)

Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine / Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? by purefella(m): 10:16pm On Jun 12, 2012

Hi fellow Nairalanders,
after losing my toyota avalon to vehicle snatchers last year , I bought a jaguar xtype recently on Nairaland early February of this year it was a very good deal at 640k , i enjoyed driving it and it gave me the fame and prestige like am driving a toyota sequoia but recently i purchased a kia sedona from Femy2010 of nairaland coz i change my vehicles every 3 months and currently i am planing to sell the jaguar , i have got a buyer and he want to replace the sound engine because it;s at 114k miles but am confused about it he said he don't drive cars about 100k miles ., what will happen to the odometer of a vehicle if the engine is replace just wondering let me know auto dealers
Thanks

Toyota avalon , Jaguar and Sedona link below

https://www.nairaland.com/782901/stolen-vehicle-toyota-avalon-2000
https://www.nairaland.com/851541/very-clean-reg-2001-jaguar
https://www.nairaland.com/947829/sold-sold-tokunbo-2002-kia

Re: What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? by Niyisnoop(m): 11:33pm On Jun 12, 2012
the odometer has nothing to do with engine replacement,
Re: What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? by purefella(m): 11:48pm On Jun 12, 2012
Niyisnoop: the odometer has nothing to do with engine replacement,

really? i thought the rate at which engine rolls determines the rate at which the odometer will be? it's just confusing please explain further ., what determines the increase of odometer readings
Re: What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? by sultaan(m): 2:53am On Jun 13, 2012
How old will your body look if you get the heart of a teenager, all the wrinkles will still be there.If your body don wreck new heart won't make you run faster.

The rookies buying the car must be out of his mind changing an engine at 114k(that engine is young).

If the engine sputters check engine light will be on, just pull code and google is with model and year.you'll know exactly what is wrong.
Re: What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? by purefella(m): 11:26am On Jun 13, 2012
Thanks sultaan i appreciate your response that helps , please keep the comment coming in , i am still a little confuse about why the odometer won't automatically change itself to the new engine mileage or so , my questions may sound silly but am not too good at mechanical aspect and will like to learn
Re: What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? by Rebirth(m): 8:04pm On Jun 13, 2012
It's true that the odometer read the engines revolutions viz-a-viz the distance covered by the car. However, since there is no performance (odometric) log on the engine, it doesn't keep records of the distance it has covered.

This is a really good question though.
Re: What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? by purefella(m): 11:09pm On Jun 13, 2012
AUTO DEALERS please respond to this or the question is too tough to answer??
Re: What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? by sultaan(m): 2:12am On Jun 14, 2012
Lets do it the easy way you should be familiar with.

If you are driving from Sagamu to Tollgate on during the holy ghost congress, your engine might run for 24hrs straight , but you only traveled 50km.

If you driven that same car on the Abuja to kano and sokoto road you would have driven over 1000km in same time period.

Nothing on a car shows you how long the engine has been running(its in a sub menu in my jeep that can be reset)

Only Generators, construction and farming equipment will tell you how long your engine has been running in hours.

Odometer shows how far you have gone based on rotation of gears in the transmission.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? by oluseg2: 7:48am On Jun 14, 2012
Changing the engine alone cannot affect the odometer reading.

However, if he replaces the instrument cluster with a new one, he might have something in the range of 0-5km as the odometer reading.Please note that this can only be justified if he is replacing the engine ith a new one.
Re: What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? by Niyisnoop(m): 8:36am On Jun 14, 2012
the rotation of the engine i.e the crankshaft does not mean the vehicle is moving or covering a distance eg when u stick your gear shift lever to park or neutral , the engine is rotating but the vehicle is not moving hence the odometer wont read a value. the odometer reading is connected to the output shaft speed sensor on the transmission though the computer still have do small calculation using the tyre size of your vehicle to get the actual odometer reading.......

get familiar with vehicle and engine operation by purchasing this cheap auto car care guide cd @ shai autocare centre and start your journey to becoming an engineer
call 08157624299

Re: What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? by Murphy7h4: 8:55am On Jun 14, 2012
Re: What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? by purefella(m): 10:18am On Jun 14, 2012
sultaan: Lets do it the easy way you should be familiar with.

If you are driving from Sagamu to Tollgate on during the holy ghost congress, your engine might run for 24hrs straight , but you only traveled 50km.

If you driven that same car on the Abuja to kano and sokoto road you would have driven over 1000km in same time period.

Nothing on a car shows you how long the engine has been running(its in a sub menu in my jeep that can be reset)

Only Generators, construction and farming equipment will tell you how long your engine has been running in hours.

Odometer shows how far you have gone based on rotation of gears in the transmission.

From what you said above if the rate at which the engine rolls won't determine the odometer readings, it means the idea of avoiding to buy vehicles because of high mileage or paying better price because it has a low mileage is wrong? because generally people believe the rate at which the odometer is will determine the performance of the engine ., You have tried please break it down a little further
Re: What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? by purefella(m): 10:31am On Jun 14, 2012
out!

(1) (Reply)

Man Shocked As Driver Refuels Rolls-Royce From Keg (Video) / Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From / How To Handle A Tyre Burst While Driving At Top Speed (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.