Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,794 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

$3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police (20173 Views)

Ikpeazu Gives Cars To Police And Doctors (Photos) / Not Easy To Get Evidence To Probe Diezani - Buhari / Presidency Probes Death Of Tortured Inmate Over Patience Jonathan’s $3m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

$3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by onthefence: 6:33am On Jun 13, 2012
$3m bribery latest: Otedola submits video, audio evidence to IGP
ON JUNE 13, 2012
By Emmanuel Aziken, Kingsley Omonobi, Victor Ahiuma-Young & AbdulSalam Muhammad

ABUJA— Oil magnate, Femi Otedola, yesterday, stoked his charge against embattled Rep. Farouk Lawan, by handing over to the police, audio and video evidence of how Lawan got the first installment of the bribe and how he demanded the balance.
Sources close to Otedola told Vanguard yesterday that besides submitting the video and audio evidence,he told Police investigators inAbuja how Farouk mounted pressure on him with a list of senior officials of the House who he claimed were to be settled with the bribe money.
Meanwhile political leaders from Lawan’s political base inKanohave disowned him.
The evolving scandal nonetheless, the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC waded in yesterday with an admonition that the bribery scandal should not in anyway distract from the process of implementing the recommendations originally reached by the Lawan committee.
Meantime, the House leadership was last night meeting on how to respond to the damaging revelations spewing from the scandal. Among the options as learnt is to bring forward the House resumption from the scheduled Tuesday, June 19, 2012.

Sources close to Lawan were still upbeat, yesterday, insisting that the Police was working on the call logs in its custody, with which they were expected to clear the embattled lawmaker.
Otedola, Chairman of Zenon Petroleum appeared before the Special Task Force constituted by the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar at precisely 10.55 a.m. yesterday. He told the panel headed by Commissioner of Police Ali Amodu that Lawan collected $500, 000 in cash and the Secretary of the committee, Boniface Emenalo collected $120, 000 in two installments of $20, 000 and $100, 000 respectively.

The video evidence
He produced a video recording of Lawan collecting the $500,000 in his residence and disclosed that the money in marked notes was provided by the SSS. He also disclosed that Lawan made “desperate” efforts to collect the balance of the money subsequently.
According to Otedola, Lawan said the money was to be distributed to other members of the House of Representatives who could help in suppressing the indictment of Otedola or his companies.

Otedola told the police that the persistent demands by Lawan for the balance of the bribe made on telephone were recorded in audio format. Both the audio and video recordings of the transactions were submitted yesterday.
A source privy to the developments disclosed: ”Farouk put pressure and kept on calling for the balance and when the pressure became unbearable, Otedola said that the two agreed that the balance should be flown in a chartered plane toAbuja. However, on the day the money was to come, Farouk said he would be in plenary and gave Otedola a name and phone number of somebody who would meet him for the money.”
Asked if the Police had recovered the money, a senior officer close to the investigation said yesterday: “First of all, the money was at no time handed over to the Inspector General of Police. Secondly, we have asked Hon. Lawan and the House to hand over the money to us and so far they have refused.

“We are told that the money will be kept as exhibit and only presented in a court of law. The question arising now is when has the House of Representatives become a security agency. What about the fear of tampering with the money, how do we guard against it if the money remains with the House?”

On what the next line of action would be if the House continues to hold on to the $620, 000, the source said, “The IGP who is the one investigating the scandal is currently on official assignment outside the FCT. As soon as he comes back, he will give us directives on what to do and we will take it from there”.

Otedola’s appearance before the Police yesterday was on his own volition Vanguard learnt yesterday. Sources close to him disclosed that Otedola went to the Police to give them the evidence of the alleged bribery following earlier denials put forth by Lawan.

Confusion trails Lawan’s documents
Meanwhile, confusion yesterday trailed the documents put forth by Lawan in which he claimed that he had written the leadership and the Chairman of the House Committee on Anti-Corruption, Adams Jagaba.
He first denounced the claim on Monday night, saying “there is no connection between my committee and the fuel probe committee and I was not given anything please thank you for calling to confirm from me.” Yesterday, he turned hostile as reporters sought clarifications from him.
”I have told you not to call me again on this matter; no comments,”Adamssaid.
Meanwhile shock and disappointment was evident in Lawan’s constituency in Shanono,Kanoyesterday as news of the scandal filtered among the people the embattled Lawan has represented since 1999.

Ali Katako, Commandant Bagwai unit of Askarawan Kwankwasiyya, a group associated with the ruling Peoples Democratic Party, PDP noted that the development is self imposed, adding that ”the only regret we seem to be nursing now is that this development has put us on bad light”.
Similarly, the Bagwai PDP council chairman, Alhaji Inuwa Zangina Dangada on his part said “if in the end a prima facie is established against the lawmaker, he should be made to face the full wrath of the law.”
In Shanono Local Government, a stalwart of All Nigerian Peoples Party, Abubakar Usman, revealed that the lack of sympathy for the embattled legislator emanated from his own negligence.

“You only identify with someone that recognizes your existence but go round and find out whether anyone from this town appears to have shown concern on what has befallen a man they can legitimately claim to be one of them.”
He said that Lawan has not impacted on his people, and no traces of his developmental project in any of the two local Government councils that made up the Federal constituency.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/06/otedola-submits-video-audio-evidence-to-igp/
Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by Super1759: 9:11am On Jun 13, 2012
Giving this case to police....worsening the matter.police can never give a good verdict.police is gonna ask them to bring all the money to them...

1 Like

Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by Demdem(m): 9:15am On Jun 13, 2012
Demdem: I reported Otedola’s bribe to Police and EFCC in April – Farouk Lawan

The Chairman of the House of Representatives ad hoc committee which probed the management of the Fuel subsidy scheme, Farouk Lawan on Monday said that he reported the $3 million bribe to the Police and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) law enforcement agents as far back as April 24.

Documents released by National Assembly sources to the media, revealed that Mr Lawan allegedly informed the House Committee on Financial Crimes in a letter dated April 24, 2012, of pressures to offer him bribe to influence the outcome of the investigation into the fuel subsidy scheme.

In a letter to the leadership of the House, Mr Lawan also said his “life has been under constant threat since the fuel probe begun.”

Mr Lawan reported the bribe to the police following which the Inspector-General in a letter dated, May 9, 2012, directed a task force on investigation to meet him.

The IGP in the letter with reference number CR:3000/IGP.SEC/STF/FHQ/ABJ/VOL 2/309 called Lawan’s attention to an interview he granted a national newspaper on April 28, 2012 and directed, “a discreet investigation into the matter.”

The letter was signed by the Commissioner of Police, Special Task Force, Ali Amodu.

He said that in another letter dated May 16, 2012 with reference number CR:3000/IGP.SEC/STF/FHQ/ABJ/VOL 2/319, and signed by Mr Amodu, the IGP requested money exhibit, names of witnesses and other material evidence from him. grin grin grin

Mr Lawan explained that in a letter dated May 31, 2012, he told the IGP that the matter (bribe offer) had been referred to the relevant committee of the House for legislative actions.

After the correspondence between the IGP and Mr Lawan, the p in a letter to the Speaker of the House, Aminu Tambuwal, dated June 4, 2012, stated that a detailed criminal investigation had been ordered into the matter.

In the letter titled, “Investigation activities: Letter of invitation in a case of criminal conspiracy and attempt to pervert the course of justice by offering gratification,” the office of the IGP stated that “the Inspector General of Police has directed a detailed criminal investigation into the matter.”

The Chairman, Zenon Petroleum and Gas Limited Femi Otedola said in some national dailies on Monday that Mr Lawan and the Secretary of the probe committee, Boniface Emenalo had collected $620,000 from him in a sting operation masterminded by the security agencies.

The amount, according to Mr Otedola, the amount was part payment of $3 million, which he alleged Mr Lawan had demanded from him to exonerate Zenon Oil from the probe committee’s report.

Mr Otedola said on April 21, the Saturday before the plenary, Mr Lawan came in person to his residence and collected $250,000 in cash, as the first instalment and on Monday April 23 “Lawan came and collected another $250,000.”

House vows to probe bribery

Meanwhile, the House of Representatives said it will investigate allegations of bribery levelled against Mr Lawan, saying it will not support underhand deal from any quarters.

The Chairman, House Committee on Media and Publicity, Zakari Mohammed who disclosed this in a statement said, “While we await investigation into these weighty accusations, we wish to state without equivocation that this Honourable House will never take sides with corruption and we will always stand on the side of the rule of law. We cannot, for whatever reason, support any underhand dealing from any quarter.”

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/06/12/i-reported-otedolas-bribe-to-police-and-efcc-in-april-farouk-lawan/

Who knows whether farouk was trying to acquire the evidence as requested by the IGP? if am to put myself in farouk's shoes and am asked by a neutral body if i have collected bribe, i will like " i collected bribe but i still didnt collect it grin grin " (its also a string operation afterall)
I will like to know how the IGP will handle this case. who is saying the truth and who is lying undecided undecided undecided

Its funny and disheartening that as SSS in conjuction with Otedola (hopefully so) is conducting his own string operation to implicate Farouk, likewise the Police is also conducting his own operation to implicate Otedola. undecided undecided
SSS VS PoliCE.
Useless set of people. Evil Boko is there tearing down the whole country. Nonsense.

Abegii, lets focus more on the Trillions of Naira Fraud (this is the main koko) and leave this 100Million bribe alone jor

3 Likes

Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by tellwisdom: 9:18am On Jun 13, 2012
undecided undecided
Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by ifihearam: 9:19am On Jun 13, 2012
*singing*
This one na season 2 ooo
Finish farouk season 2 ooo

But seriously this farouk lawan phucked up big time,why should you even represent yourself in a deal like this,I thought you have aides and staff?? All the monies you have embezzled since 1999 is not enough you had to step on your highly deserved societal integrity and respectability.shame on you farouk

As for you otedola,you also said you deal on diesel and that product is not subsidized,so why will you be persuaded in the first place to pay bribe of what concerns you not. Both of you are guilty.

3 Likes

Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 13, 2012
He produced a video recording of Lawan collecting the $500,000 in his residence and disclosed that the money in marked notes was provided by the SSS.

I thot he(otedola) once stated dat lawan collected $620 in 3 different instalments?
Dere is more to dis story!
Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by mjconcept(m): 9:25am On Jun 13, 2012
Wetin we go name dis movie
Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by Willy7(m): 9:25am On Jun 13, 2012
The movie is just getting started.Sit back,relax and enjoy.
Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by MrGlobe(m): 9:27am On Jun 13, 2012
Otedola is a criminal. He has finally soiled his evasive image. Your products are not subsidized and you went on to pay bribe. You paid bribe - an offence in itself.. GEJ, Diezanni Madueke and their cabal has finally used you to try to cover up trillions of looted funds.
As for farouk, am really yet to understand your triple mouths sha

2 Likes

Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by princeFAD: 9:29am On Jun 13, 2012
ifihearam: *singing*
This one na season 2 ooo

But seriously this farouk lawan phucked up big time,why should you even represent yourself in a deal like this,I thought you have aides and staff?? All the monies you have embezzled since 1999 is not enough you had to step on your highly deserved societal integrity and respectability.shame on you farouk

As for you otedola,you also said you deal on diesel and that product is not subsidized,so why will you be persuaded in the first place to pay bribe of what concerns you not. Both of you are guilty.
bro,you are getting it wrong accusing Otedola why he paid bribe.Pls get it right that Otedola contacted SSS when the pressure on him to pay bribe was too intense.It was the SSS that gave him the marked dollars he gave to Farouk.Though I am not exonerating Otedola from corrupt practices,but Farouk is already in a cage,his hands are in shackles already.Lets wait and see how the drama wud end.This wud really prove how serious GEJ is in fighting corruption.At least on of them (either Farouk or Otedola)is graviously guilty and shud not escape imprisonment.

3 Likes

Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by scopusng(m): 9:29am On Jun 13, 2012
I still don't believe that Farouk took any bribe until I see the video.In naija anything can happen.
Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by Biggyd2: 9:30am On Jun 13, 2012
Now some people are now viewing Otedola as "an angel". How could you get entangled in this mess, FLawan? Otedola has used you to[i] shine[/i]. Now, what happens to the subsidy probe report? As you are aware, the report is tainted already. I mean, would tax payers money be used to set up another probe panel? How credible will a new report be if the Senate and HOR are so corrupt? How could you FLawan? Many Nigerians believed in you and this is how you pay us back? I do hope these men go down IF found guilty.

Please we know of Zenon and the Otedola link. Is the man also connected to Forte Oil? At least one good thing about this probe report is that Nigerians are now probing and asking questions.
Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by icon2: 9:31am On Jun 13, 2012
What a shame!
Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by Demdem(m): 9:31am On Jun 13, 2012
mjconcept: Wetin we go name dis movie

TRILLION NAIRA SUBSIDY REPORT MUST DIE grin grin grin
Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by edicolove: 9:31am On Jun 13, 2012
This whole issue is very simple. If Lawan is innocent and was actually trying to get evidence to nail Otedola, he should have at least 2 things. 1. A video or at least audio of the bribe event showing he was actually setting Otedola up and 2. The dollar notes should be completely intact and unspent. If he doesn't have these 2 things, he is a liar and a criminal. It is that simple. If he has spent 1 dollar out of the money, it means he is a liar and a thief.

8 Likes

Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by princeFAD: 9:31am On Jun 13, 2012
Imanuelle:

I thot he(otedola) once stated dat lawan collected $620 in 3 different instalments?
Dere is more to dis story!
He said Farouk himself collected $500 while the remaining $120 was collected by secretary to the probe panel.

1 Like

Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by ayox2003: 9:32am On Jun 13, 2012
onthefence: A source privy to the developments disclosed: ”Farouk put pressure and kept on calling for the balance and when the pressure became unbearable, Otedola said that the two agreed that the balance should be flown in a chartered plane toAbuja. However, on the day the money was to come, Farouk said he would be in plenary and gave Otedola a name and phone number of somebody who would meet him for the money.”
Asked if the Police had recovered the money, a senior officer close to the investigation said yesterday: “First of all, the money was at no time handed over to the Inspector General of Police. Secondly, we have asked Hon. Lawan and the House to hand over the money to us and so far they have refused.

Can you imagine? Farouk and the House refused to release the money.
Any nation that can't find one honest man to do a report to expose a scandal is doomed

3 Likes

Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by lifestyle1(m): 9:32am On Jun 13, 2012
Very Good! undecided
Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by Nobody: 9:34am On Jun 13, 2012
ifihearam: *singing*
This one na season 2 ooo

There is a report issue on Otedola's side too. He was pressured by Lawan and according to him he had to go report to SSS....i love the sting operation that ensued.

1 Like

Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by beespak7(m): 9:35am On Jun 13, 2012
Mr. Globe:
Otedola is a criminal. He has finally soiled his evasive image. Your products are not subsidized and you went on to pay bribe. You paid bribe - an offence in itself.. GEJ, Diezanni Madueke and their cabal has finally used you to try to cover up trillions of looted funds.

+ 1000

1 Like

Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by Nobody: 9:36am On Jun 13, 2012
Super1759: Giving this case to police....worsening the matter.police can never give a good verdict.police is gonna ask them to bring all the money to them...

Brother... Not this kind of money.
Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by mjconcept(m): 9:37am On Jun 13, 2012
Demdem:

TRILLION NAIRA SUBSIDY REPORT MUST DIE grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin I am thinking PROBE THE PROBERS would be suitable.

2 Likes

Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by Nobody: 9:38am On Jun 13, 2012
I believe that the subsidy cabal "Papa OBJ" has a hand in this, he sent otedola to bribe farouk while they were recording the transaction and farouk himself was also trying to play a game in order to get evidence to nail otedola. When you fight corruption it fights back at you....... If not why should otedola agree to pay bribr if his company is clean of the subsidy scandal he should have stood his ground cause has his company been clean there won't be any evidence to nail him....... For sure someone earlier said on one thread like that that OBJ's statement about rogues and arm robbers means that a top senator is going down soon. This is well planned. Wat a country we have

1 Like

Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by Demdem(m): 9:39am On Jun 13, 2012
prince FAD:
bro,you are getting it wrong accusing Otedola why he paid bribe.

Farouk claimed also that he was being pressured with bribe, who will we believe?

Pls get it right that Otedola contacted SSS when the pressure on him to pay bribe was too intense.

Farouk also claimed he contacted the police and EFCC. who will we believe

It was the SSS that gave him the marked dollars he gave to Farouk.

The IGP asked Farouk to acquire material evidence as stated in that report. Who is roping who?

Though I am not exonerating Otedola from corrupt practices,but Farouk is already in a cage,his hands are in shackles already.

Otedola is heavily corrupt but Farouk its still 50-50. No bi IGP ask am say he should acquire material evidence? grin grin grin

Lets wait and see how the drama wud end.

I am interested also to be honest. Right now nothing is categorically true

This wud really prove how serious GEJ is in fighting corruption.

The aim of the retardeen is to ensure that the Subsidy report is killed so that his sponsors during the elections who are direct beneficiaries of this subsidy fraud are never brought to book. He himself is corrupt.

At least on of them (either Farouk or Otedola)is graviously guilty and shud not escape imprisonment.

Before GEJ, Otedola has been a very corrupt man, thats confirmed. As for farouk, he needs to be investigated to determine his culpability.
Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by Demdem(m): 9:40am On Jun 13, 2012
mjconcept:
grin grin grin grin I am thinking PROBE THE PROBERS would be suitable.

The Hunter is now being hunted grin grin grin
Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by Biggyd2: 9:41am On Jun 13, 2012
prince FAD:
He said Farouk himself collected $500 while the remaining $120 was collected by secretary to the probe panel.

Sadly, they make noise about Nigerians going cashless, meanwhile their transaction are done in cash. They don't even deal in Naira anymore sef. Why? Your guess will be as good as mine I believe.

8 Likes

Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by Nobody: 9:42am On Jun 13, 2012
They are all rogues. I watched the lawyer on STV this morning and I was shocked...Where is Nigeria headed? For the rocks?
Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by edicolove: 9:42am On Jun 13, 2012
Mr. Globe:

Do you understand the meaning of "organise a sting with SSS using marked notes". Nigerian education system is really a mess. If he organised a sting, then he didn't commit any offence. And please leave GEJ and others out of it. When you were told that certain people sponsored the subsidy protests, you said it was a lie. Now that's your evidence right there. Deal with it!

6 Likes

Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by beespak7(m): 9:42am On Jun 13, 2012
Na wao nigeria oh nigeria dont we have incurruptable people in govt again? Even those appointed to probe the corrupt are even more corrupt than the corrupt. smh

1 Like

Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by Willy7(m): 9:42am On Jun 13, 2012
This movie is rated 18,and viewer discretion is adviced.Already in episode 2.So far so interesting anyway.God help 9ja

1 Like

Re: $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police by slimghost(m): 9:43am On Jun 13, 2012
Chai. Facrook Lawan go hear am!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Pictures Of Aba And Its Environs / Nasarawa : Ombatse Backs Al -makura ’ S Impeachment / Nenadi Usman: I Shared N23b Diezani Poll Cash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.