Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:07 AM

Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? (6392 Views)

Is It A Sin To Style A Haircut? / Stephanie Rose: I Would Rather Burn In Hell Than Worship A Monster Called God / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by logicboy: 11:46am On Jun 14, 2012
What is wrong in burning a bible? I mean, there are endless copies of bibles on the internet and on mobile phones or computers. Hard copies are becoming redundant.

Generally, I dont believe in burning books because no knowledge is lost. However, what if you need a fire to keep warm and you have no firewood, just your bible?

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by Heathen(m): 12:09pm On Jun 14, 2012
I agree with you. I don't see anything wrong in burning a bible, especially when one considers the fact that it is mass-produced like toilet paper. Burning one will be insignificant.
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by moshoodn(m): 12:17pm On Jun 14, 2012
LET YOUR CONSCIENCE GUIDE YOU ARIGHT. . .
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by stokolie(m): 12:38pm On Jun 14, 2012
logic! why is it u hate christainity this much?
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by Areaboy2(m): 12:40pm On Jun 14, 2012
Heathen: I agree with you. I don't see anything wrong in burning a bible, especially when one considers the fact that it is mass-produced like toilet paper. Burning one will be insignificant.

mass produced is an understatement! its a freaking best seller for hundreds of years now! I guess thats the whole point to it. Money making LOL

now beat that you commie bastards!!! HA HA HA HA HA
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by logicboy: 1:16pm On Jun 14, 2012
st.okolie:
logic! why is it u hate christainity this much?

I dont hate christianity, I just know that it is bullsh1t!

Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by logicboy: 1:17pm On Jun 14, 2012
Area_boy:

mass produced is an understatement! its a freaking best seller for hundreds of years now! I guess thats the whole point to it. Money making LOL

grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by Heathen(m): 1:22pm On Jun 14, 2012
Area_boy:

lol, the demand for the book does'nt drop, it keeps on rising and the 'unbelieving, pagan, heathen' publishers smile to the bank.
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by ad245: 3:42pm On Jun 14, 2012
@logicboy, common sense will tell u not to destroy what another man count as sacred...what makes you different from vampires and boko haram? dude, you're an extremist!
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by logicboy: 4:27pm On Jun 14, 2012
ad245: @logicboy, common sense will tell u not to destroy what another man count as sacred...what makes you different from vampires and boko haram? dude, you're an extremist!

Dude read you bible. Your men of God destroyed things that were sacred to people's religion;

2 Ki 18:3-4 (Amp) Hezekiah did right in the sight of the Lord... He broke in pieces the bronze serpent that Moses had made, for until then the Israelites had burned incense to it; but he called it Nehushtan [a brazen trifle]

<< Deuteronomy 12:3 >>
Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and burn their Asherah poles in the fire; cut down the idols of their gods and wipe out their names from those places.
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by emofine2(f): 4:52pm On Jun 14, 2012
Logicboy are you seeking to be provocative? The scenario is purposely engineered to compel one to act against perhaps their usual choice...unless you are conveying that the motives should be the real measuring factor.
I think the question is questionable and I have no business in burning any book when I can instead opt to resell them ...I sure won’t be burning my 19th century antique bible...that I know grin
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by buzugee(m): 5:51pm On Jun 14, 2012
logicboy: What is wrong in burning a bible? I mean, there are endless copies of bibles on the internet and on mobile phones or computers. Hard copies are becoming redundant.

Generally, I dont believe in burning books because no knowledge is lost. However, what if you need a fire to keep warm and you have no firewood, just your bible?

let me tell you a funny story. LOL. this guy i went to high school with was the craziest dude you could ever encounter. at age 11 he was already smoking ciggarettes and pawpaw leaves. he was wild. i used to look at the like he was some insane guy. he used the bible pages to wipe his a-ss in the bushes after taking a shyttt. he said something about the pages of the bible being nice and soft enough to pass as tissue paper. he also used to roll joints ( weed ) up with bible paper. something about the bible paper being the best roller and whatnot. This guy was the most insane guy you ever met. i believe he used to cuss God out and was vehemently anti-God back then, and all this time we were just 11 years old. and we were in this boarding school till the age of 16. anyway i jammed the guy on facebook like 2 years ago. what do you know ? this guy is the most dedicated and most committed born again you ever saw grin grin grin grin on his facebook page if you aint talking about the lord he aint dealing. he staunch. what a life right ?

that story kinda reminded me of burning the bible. this guy used to desecrate the bible for smoking and wiping his crusty butt LOL

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by logicboy: 6:28pm On Jun 14, 2012
buzugee: let me tell you a funny story. LOL. this guy i went to high school with was the craziest dude you could ever encounter. at age 11 he was already smoking ciggarettes and pawpaw leaves. he was wild. i used to look at the like he was some insane guy. he used the bible pages to wipe his a-ss in the bushes after taking a shyttt. he said something about the pages of the bible being nice and soft enough to pass as tissue paper. he also used to roll joints ( weed ) up with bible paper. something about the bible paper being the best roller and whatnot. This guy was the most insane guy you ever met. i believe he used to cuss God out and was vehemently anti-God back then, and all this time we were just 11 years old. and we were in this boarding school till the age of 16. anyway i jammed the guy on facebook like 2 years ago. what do you know ? this guy is the most dedicated and most committed born again you ever saw grin grin grin grin on his facebook page if you aint talking about the lord he aint dealing. he staunch. what a life right ?

that story kinda reminded me of burning the bible. this guy used to desecrate the bible for smoking and wiping his crusty butt LOL

Cool story. But I have never burnt a bible.
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by logicboy: 6:29pm On Jun 14, 2012
emöfine2: Logicboy are you seeking to be provocative? The scenario is purposely engineered to compel one to act against perhaps their usual choice...unless you are conveying that the motives should be the real measuring factor.
I think the question is questionable and I have no business in burning any book when I can instead opt to resell them ...I sure won’t be burning my 19th century antique bible...that I know grin

Read my post again. I am not one for burning books. I am just asking a controversial question.
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jun 14, 2012
buzugee: let me tell you a funny story. LOL. this guy i went to high school with was the craziest dude you could ever encounter. at age 11 he was already smoking ciggarettes and pawpaw leaves. he was wild. i used to look at the like he was some insane guy. he used the bible pages to wipe his a-ss in the bushes after taking a shyttt. he said something about the pages of the bible being nice and soft enough to pass as tissue paper. he also used to roll joints ( weed ) up with bible paper. something about the bible paper being the best roller and whatnot. This guy was the most insane guy you ever met. i believe he used to cuss God out and was vehemently anti-God back then, and all this time we were just 11 years old. and we were in this boarding school till the age of 16. anyway i jammed the guy on facebook like 2 years ago. what do you know ? this guy is the most dedicated and most committed born again you ever saw grin grin grin grin on his facebook page if you aint talking about the lord he aint dealing. he staunch. what a life right ?

lOL... AND YOU DON'T THINK IT WAS THE DRUGS that sent his BLAZING ASS to the CROSS?
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by buzugee(m): 6:48pm On Jun 14, 2012
musKeeto:
lOL... AND YOU DON'T THINK IT WAS THE DRUGS that sent his BLAZING ASS to the CROSS?
whatever it was, dude was crazy as heck, now he on the straight and narrow. grin
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by emofine2(f): 6:50pm On Jun 14, 2012
logicboy:

Read my post again. I am not one for burning books. I am just asking a controversial question.

Hence my response...

Logicboy I’ve read your post more than once and I understand perfectly what you are trying to pose. Burning a bible or any other revered articles of another’s belief system may not be a “sin” depending on the individual but it is insensitive (irrespective of whether it’s a retaliation or in honour of a rival believer’s deity) but you have quite conveniently presented the issue in a context where burning the bible would be most appropriate. Thus it doesn’t fit well with the question since you’ve tailored the motives. Besides endangering the bible will only appreciate its worth.
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by logicboy: 7:07pm On Jun 14, 2012
emöfine2:

Hence my response...

Logicboy I’ve read your post more than once and I understand perfectly what you are trying to pose. Burning a bible or any other revered articles of another’s belief system may not be a “sin” depending on the individual but it is insensitive (irrespective of whether it’s a retaliation or in honour of a rival believer’s deity) but you have quite conveniently presented the issue in a context where burning the bible would be most appropriate. Thus it doesn’t fit well with the question since you’ve tailored the motives. Besides endangering the bible will only appreciate its worth.

100% agree!
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by stokolie(m): 9:23pm On Jun 14, 2012
logicboy:

how do know?
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by Areaboy2(m): 9:28pm On Jun 14, 2012
logicboy:

LMAO

and my fav picture of the century ?

[img]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg201/scaled.php?server=201&filename=popeelectricchairwb.jpg&res=landing[/img]
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by logicboy: 9:58pm On Jun 14, 2012
st.okolie:

how do know?

Because woman was not created from a rib.
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by logicboy: 10:01pm On Jun 14, 2012
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jun 14, 2012
@ topic

What is the motivation behind this act?

For the respect of those who believe in that book with their lives, I would think twice before setting a Bible on fire just to pass a message across.
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by logicboy: 10:30pm On Jun 14, 2012
michelin89: @ topic

What is the motivation behind this act?

For the respect of those who believe in that book with their lives, I would think twice before setting a Bible on fire just to pass a message across.

Ehem,
logicboy:

Dude read you bible. Your men of God destroyed things that were sacred to people's religion;

2 Ki 18:3-4 (Amp) Hezekiah did right in the sight of the Lord... He broke in pieces the bronze serpent that Moses had made, for until then the Israelites had burned incense to it; but he called it Nehushtan [a brazen trifle]

<< Deuteronomy 12:3 >>
Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and burn their Asherah poles in the fire; cut down the idols of their gods and wipe out their names from those places.

Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by JeSoul(f): 3:06pm On Jun 15, 2012
emöfine2:

Hence my response...

logicboy:

100% agree!
Hmmm...unless I'm misunderstanding (emofine pls correct if I am) but it doesn't appear that logicboy understood your point here, the simple "I agree" is indicative of that.
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by logicboy: 3:31pm On Jun 15, 2012
JeSoul:
Hmmm...unless I'm misunderstanding (emofine pls correct if I am) but it doesn't appear that logicboy understood your point here, the simple "I agree" is indicative of that.

I clearly stated that I dont believe in burning any book because they all contain some form of knowledge. Why are you forcing some kind of contradiction?
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by emofine2(f): 4:58pm On Jun 15, 2012
JeSoul:

The thing suprise me sef grin
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by stokolie(m): 5:05pm On Jun 15, 2012
logicboy:

Because woman was not created from a rib.

and how were they made?
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jun 15, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ROUND 2... START
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by 401kk: 5:22pm On Jun 15, 2012
What is a "sin"?
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by Heathen(m): 5:28pm On Jun 15, 2012
Heathen: I agree with you. I don't see anything wrong in burning a bible, especially when one considers the fact that it is mass-produced like toilet paper. Burning one will be insignificant.
Note: i in no way condone the burning of bibles.
Re: Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible? by logicboy: 5:36pm On Jun 15, 2012
st.okolie:

and how were they made?

They were not "made". Wrong question.

They evolved.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Islam Say Kill Infidels / The Essence Of Celebrating Good Friday / Why Do Pastors Avoid Using The Names (YAHWEH And YESHUA)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.