Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,370 members, 7,812,089 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:56 AM

8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God (3078 Views)

Tunde Bakare - Ese: "Yunusa's Manhood Should Be Cut Off " / Seek Ye First The Kingdom Of God And His Righteousness / The Fifth Kingdom(of God) In The Bible Prophecy Of The Book "DANIEL 2" Is Islam! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by jayriginal: 8:53pm On Jun 14, 2012

An online journal, the World-science.net has reported a bizarre trend of body mutilations being inflicted by some people upon themselves, in order to make the Kingdom of Heaven as instructed in the Gospel of Mathew.

Quoting medical researchers at the St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Centre in Phoenix, Arizona, in the United States, world-science.net reported overall 23 cases of people who have cut off their p.enises or hands or removed their eyes, because they felt they had caused them some sins. Three of these lot who self-severed their joysticks believed their action would make them live a sinless life and as transformed eunuchs, make them live in line with the injunction in Mathew 19:12. Four others also cut off their t.esticles, believing same sentiments.

The Biblical verse reads as follows:
“For there are some e.unuchs, which were so born from their mother’s womb; and there are some eu.nuchs, which were made e.unuchs of men; and there be e.unuchs, which have made themselves e.unuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake. He that is able to receive it let him receive it.”

Worldscience.net reported that these incidents of self-mutilation and p.enis cutting happen on average of one every three years, ‘’judging by published medical reports—but that makes it no less disturbing each time for hospital staff faced with the situation.’’

One of such rare p.enis cutting happened last month when a 62-year-old man whom physicians dubbed Mr. P to protect his privacy, showed up at the emergency room of St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix, Arizona, complaining of a case of “Matthew 19:12.” Asked to clarify, he just kept repeating the same thing: Matthew 19:12.

The nurse on duty searched the Internet for Matthew 19:12. What she read was worrisome, worldscience.net reported.

“As it quickly became clear, Mr. P had made this hospital visit unaccompanied by his p.enis. That, he explained, he had flushed down the toilet three days ago after severing it with a pocketknife. His t.esticles were also absent—removed four years earlier at Mr. P’s request by a doctor in Mexico.

“Although his speech and thoughts appeared muddled, Mr. P did state that he had “done this because his p.enis had caused him to sin and as an e.unuch he could be closer to God as described in Matthew 19:12,” three researchers affiliated with St. Joseph’s wrote in a report describing the incident. Mr. P also claimed to have pondered the decision for months before acting.

“Mr. P. received urgent medical treatment at St. Joseph’s, including a skin graft onto the stump. He was then confined to a local psychiatric hospital by court order, leaving little but questions behind.

“The three investigators proceeded to search an online medical literature database, PubMed, for other cases of this nature. They discovered that the Bible—indeed, the Gospel of Matthew specifically— has left a trail of self- mutilations inspired largely by four of its verses.

The bloody toll listed in case reports dating back to 1967—PubMed doesn’t go back much further—included three partially or fully amputated p.enises; four pairs of castrated t.esticles; three amputated hands and 11 severely damaged eyeballs. Saws, circular saws, screwdrivers and pencils were among the tools used for the horrifying procedures, although several patients put out their eyes with their fingers alone.

“Our literature review revealed 16 patients in addition to [Mr. P] who had injured themselves in connection with specific religious text,” the researchers wrote.

Their review of the cases is published in the May 29 online issue of the research journal Psychosomatics, worldscience .net reported.

‘’All but one of the patients were diagnosed with psychiatric disorders or psychotic disorders or had substance abuse issues, they wrote; Mr. P., for example, “had a long history of severe bipolar illness marked by hyper-religious delusions.”

“And every case was connected with at least one of four verses in Matthew’s Gospel: 19:12, 18:8, 5:29 and 5:30.

“The three latter verses are more cryptic than the first, referenced by Mr. P. What they have in common is that they appear to suggest that if a hand, foot or right eye are somehow offensive, cutting them off is the way to go, because at least, that much less of the body will end up in Hell.

“Several biblical verses reference self-mutilation as metaphoric acts of sacrifice or contrition,” wrote the researchers, who included psychiatrist Jason P. Caplan of St. Joseph’s and the Creighton University School of Medicine in Omaha, Nebraska. “Some individuals may interpret these passages literally and act on them, causing significant injury and even inadvertent death.”

“Psychiatrists should be aware of the content of these four verses to aid in timely diagnosis and intervention if they were to arise in discussion with a patient,” they added. “It is interesting to note that no cases cite the Gospel of Mark despite very similar content (i.e., Mark 9:43, which reads ‘And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched’).”

“Individuals who rationalize their actions through biblical verses appear to have a series of features that make them a unique cohort with specific challenges regarding prognosis and treatment,” Caplan and colleagues wrote.

Many of them have no regrets about their actions; deliberately destroy the body part to prevent its reattachment; resist efforts to successfully reattach it when that is possible; and are uncooperative with other aspects of treatment, they added.

A 37-year-old man was quoted in the 1967 report saying: “Even if I do get certified [insane] and in the eyes of the world I am mad it is far better for me to have cleansed myself.”

“Ideas of reference (specifically, that the Bible directly refers to them) is a repeated theme in this group, underscoring a common thread of psychotic disorders,” Caplan and colleagues wrote.

“Guilt over sexual acts or desires is another recurrent theme… Recent homosexual experiences occurred in three of the cases of g.enital self- mutilation.” Four of the 17 self-mutilators were females; they had poked out their eyes or, in one case, amputated a hand.

Many patients had self-amputated after failed attempts to persuade doctors to do the deed, the researchers wrote, indicating a need for doctors presented with such requests to refer cases to a psychiatrist immediately.

Caplan disclosed in the paper that he is affiliated with Aliso Viejo, Calif.-based Avanir Pharmaceuticals. The report did not recommend any specific drug treatments, however. As for how Mr. P is doing currently, Caplan said he doesn’t know. “Once they leave the acute care hospital, we get no further update,” he wrote in an email.

The contentious worrisome verses in the Gospel of Mathew

Matthew 19:12
For there are some e.unuchs, which were so born from their moth!er’s womb; and there are some e.unuchs, which were made e.unuchs of men; and there be e.unuchs, which have made themselves e.unuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Matthew 18:8

Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.

Matthew 5:30

And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Matthew 5:29

But if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/06/14/8-cut-off-p.enises-testicles-for-kingdom-of-god/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PmNewsNigeria+%28PM+News+Nigeria%29

EDIT: Unfortunately the link couldnt pass the filter so Ive had to edit it.
Just take out the . (dot) in "p.enises" in the link.
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by Fr0sbel: 8:58pm On Jun 14, 2012
I bet all the Nairaland 'Miscreants' will soon rush to comment on this nonsense article !!
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by jayriginal: 9:00pm On Jun 14, 2012
Fr0sbel: I bet all the Nairaland 'Miscreants' will soon rush to comment on this nonsense article !!

grin How is it nonsense if its reporting facts ?
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by Fr0sbel: 9:11pm On Jun 14, 2012
jayriginal:

grin How is it nonsense if its reporting facts ?

On a more serious note, the chaps are nutts need help grin
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by jayriginal: 9:12pm On Jun 14, 2012
Fr0sbel:

On a more serious note, the chaps are nutts need help grin
They do need help.
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jun 14, 2012
jayriginal:
They do need help.

Yep, but I sense some ulterior motive for this article , ridicule the Bible again.

Problem is , the intention of this news piece will only appeal to those who do not understand the true, deep and underlying meaning of the quoted biblical verses !
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by Niflheim(m): 10:07pm On Jun 14, 2012
the guys who cut off their dicks may have been members of that stupid California cult called 'Heaven's Gate',they are the guys who used to commit suicide wearing Nike shoes and wait for the arrival of space ships in open fields.
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by jayriginal: 11:05pm On Jun 14, 2012
frosbel:

Yep, but I sense some ulterior motive for this article , ridicule the Bible again.

Problem is , the intention of this news piece will only appeal to those who do not understand the true, deep and underlying meaning of the quoted biblical verses !

Yes, but the real problem is; who is to say what the "true, deep and underlying meaning" of any particular verse in the bible is.
People understand the bible differently.
We have snake handlers who claim justification for their practice from the bible. Jehovahs witnesses will not allow a transfusion even when a life is at stake. There are other examples but I'm sure you get my meaning.

The problem here is that most will quickly point out how harmful this practice is but will not notice other subtle but harmful ways that the bible is being used. Fleecing the flock is one good example and they are aided through careful selections and creative interpretations of the bible.

The church with the aid of the bible wielded great influence in the past and continues to do so, except that in modern times, it is more subtle.
Nobody can deny the influence of the "men of god" on their flock most of whom are ready to swallow everything the "pastor" says, hook, line and sinker.

Today certain 'men of god' are gods in their own right. Many years ago, I once witnessed a guy pray. As he was praying, he kept punctuating himself with "according to Oyedepo" (and he was reprimanded after he finished).

Now the point is, when somebody believes the bible is the infallible and inspired word of god, the person is likely to follow its dictates (or what is dictated for him by an authority he trusts eg "pastor" ).

Now if you say something in the bible is metaphorical and another one believes it is literal, who is to say who is right? We are dealing with faith here not reason.
Those people show great faith (and little reason) in that which they believe. They are willing to suffer serious pain and inflict grievous bodily harm on themselves to enter the kingdom.

People who blow themselves up for 72 virgins also show great faith at severe expense to their frail mortality.

So many people are impoverishing themselves financially and mentally because of beliefs they hold. It is only when the damage is physical (like our friends in the article, suicide bombers, snake handlers) that we tend to notice, but not all damage is physical.
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by thehomer: 12:22am On Jun 15, 2012
frosbel:

What were the true meanings of those words of Jesus?
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by Goldieluks: 8:56am On Jun 15, 2012
"Cut Off" simply means 'to avoid, to control,to sieze" it doesn't mean one should
physically mutilate oneself.
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by jayriginal: 9:44am On Jun 15, 2012
Goldieluks: "Cut Off" simply means 'to avoid, to control,to sieze" it doesn't mean one should
physically mutilate oneself.

Goldieluks, how is your definition compatible with the verse, considering that the listener is urged to cast the offending parts away ?
Its not just cut off, but cut off and cast away. How do you cast away what is still attached to you ?

Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.

And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off and cast it from thee for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

But if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by TheShopKeeper(m): 11:54am On Jun 15, 2012
We should stop 'reading' the passages of the bible literally, but should endeavour to take little time to 'study' to get the real reasons why certain words, phrases and sentences were used.

'Cut it off'...'pluck it out'...these words are not meant to be taken literally, but to show the seriousness of sin and how we should do all to avoid it.
These are hyperbolic words used for emotional impact, so as to give a better understanding about how sin is dangerous and its eternal consequences.
We should do all we can to keep our senses from those things which lead to transgression.

So unfortuate some people have lost their 'prized' body parts due to blatant ignorance.
What will happen if these people continue to believe that other parts of their body is making them to sin, will they 'cut them off'?
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by Joel3(m): 12:44pm On Jun 15, 2012
I tell u, i ve seen no faith than that of this people. This pple ve show the true existance of God Kingdom. The Kingdom of God is an adventure. E.g christ and the apostles blood were spilled. Stephen was condemd to be stoned to death. Despite the judgment he still hold hes ground say i see Jesus seating at the right hand of God. This are true believer. Not people who cannot suffer pain for the will and kingdom of God
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by Heathen(m): 6:56pm On Jun 15, 2012
Praise be to god! These are the true christians, hopefully others follow suite. More women for meeeeeee.
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by Ptolomeus(m): 7:58pm On Jun 15, 2012
When I read posts by some fans, who say that all is sin ... I think the best solution for them.
God supposedly gave them a body that they despise, then not a bad idea that they changed the work of God.
"For Rent knife"
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by jayriginal: 10:43pm On Jun 15, 2012
Ptolomeus: When I read posts by some fans, who say that all is sin ... I think the best solution for them.
God supposedly gave them a body that they despise, then not a bad idea that they changed the work of God.
"For Rent knife"

Thats quite funny.
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by CHARLOE(m): 12:15am On Jun 17, 2012
@ frosbel,
like jayriginal said,who determines what is literal and what is metaphorical in d bible? i've come to find out dat most pple (like u) give their own literal or metaphorical meaning to passages in d scriptures to suit themselves and turn around to claim d holy spirit told them.
A good example is hell fire, is it a literal burning fire or a metaphor/figurative? Plz answer.
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by Goldieluks: 11:43pm On Jun 17, 2012
jayriginal:

Goldieluks, how is your definition compatible with the verse, considering that the listener is urged to cast the offending parts away ?
Its not just cut off, but cut off and cast away. How do you cast away what is still attached to you ?

Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.

And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off and cast it from thee for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Kindly quote the number of people, who actually did cut their hands off in the bible?? The Bible is deep and it is only
those with a spiritual insight that can fully understand the profoundness of the Bible.
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by FXKing2012(m): 8:49am On Jun 18, 2012
My people perish for the lack of knowledge.
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by jayriginal: 10:12am On Jun 18, 2012
Goldieluks:

Kindly quote the number of people, who actually did cut their hands off in the bible?? The Bible is deep and it is only
those with a spiritual insight that can fully understand the profoundness of the Bible.

I cant. Can you quote the number of people in the bible that swallowed eba ?
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by MyJoe: 10:23am On Jun 18, 2012
jayriginal:

I cant. Can you quote the number of people in the bible that swallowed eba ?

^^^ Haba, Jayriginal! I don't think your analogy is apt. It was commanded in the Bible that people cut off their hands if it leads them to sin. She says that's metaphorical and if you say it isn't you should show her where anyone cut off their hands in the Bible... and you are asking her to show you where anyone ate Eba in the Bible! wink One example to explain what she is saying: Peter slashed off the ear of someone who came to arrest Jesus, yet Jesus simply re-attached the ear. Peter's hands which caused him to sin in this case were not cut off. This incident took place after Matt 5:29 and 18:18.
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by jayriginal: 12:25pm On Jun 18, 2012
MyJoe:

^^^ Haba, Jayriginal! I don't think your analogy is apt. It was commanded in the Bible that people cut off their hands if it leads them to sin. She says that's metaphorical and if you say it isn't you should show her where anyone cut off their hands in the Bible... and you are asking her to show you where anyone ate Eba in the Bible! wink One example to explain what she is saying: Peter slashed off the ear of someone who came to arrest Jesus, yet Jesus simply re-attached the ear. Peter's hands which caused him to sin in this case were not cut off. This incident took place after Matt 5:29 and 18:18.

grin

She did say "hand' not ear or any other parts so I'm going by that. I could have pointed out bloodshed, killings and what not in the bible which were in obedience to commands.

My response was simply to point out that because something was not recorded in the bible, it doesnt necessarily mean it didnt happen (assuming the bible is accurate in the first place).

It also does not necessarily mean its metaphorical. I did show that the words could be taken literally. If people choose not to cut off their hands because they regard it as an absurdity, thats fine. Others however read it and take it literally. She is talking of spiritual interpretations. How do we know that these other people dont have their own spiritual interpretation which is just as valid ?

Thats the whole point.

EDIT:
Just by the way, I didn't take a position on whether it was metaphorical or literal. I'm simply asking how one can determine which interpretation is correct. See below

CHARLOE: @ frosbel,
like jayriginal said,who determines what is literal and what is metaphorical in d bible? i've come to find out dat most pple (like u) give their own literal or metaphorical meaning to passages in d scriptures to suit themselves and turn around to claim d holy spirit told them.
A good example is hell fire, is it a literal burning fire or a metaphor/figurative? Plz answer.
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by MyJoe: 12:56pm On Jun 18, 2012
My point is that an opportunity was clearly presented for Matthew 5:20 be carried out - Peter's hands caused him to sin, but this was not done. This is different from if one merely said, "Well, Jesus must have seen people committing sins, and he never asked them to mutilate themselves." In that case, your eba analogy would be close to being apt. wink

jayriginal:
grin

She did say "hand' not ear or any other parts so I'm going by that.
Right. Peter sinned with his hand.

jayriginal:
EDIT:
Just by the way, I didn't take a position on whether it was metaphorical or literal. I'm simply asking how one can determine which interpretation is correct. See below

Same here. In fact, I buy your general tone in the thread. I just felt you shouldn't be allowed to get away with that line. grin
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by jayriginal: 1:08pm On Jun 18, 2012
MyJoe: My point is that an opportunity was clearly presented for Matthew 5:20 be carried out - Peter's hands caused him to sin, but this was not done. This is different from if one merely said, "Well, Jesus must have seen people committing sins, and he never asked them to mutilate themselves." In that case, your eba analogy would be close to being apt. wink

Same here. In fact, I buy your general tone in the thread. I just felt you shouldn't be allowed to get away with that line. grin
grin
I think its a good line still. If I was a pastor and I believed in amputation of offending members, that verse will not dent my conviction one bit. Thats the beauty of the bible passages. They can be interpreted to suit a wide variety of tastes.

Was it a sin for Peter to defend his master ? When Jesus asked them to pick up a sword was it cake they were going to cut with it ?
I could always find something to explain it away as a 'spirit filled' preacher. Anyone who would disagree will only make our case stronger by creating an us versus them situation (as seen within different christian denominations today).
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by MyJoe: 1:37pm On Jun 18, 2012
jayriginal:
grin
I think its a good line still. If I was a pastor and I believed in amputation of offending members, that verse will not dent my conviction one bit. Thats the beauty of the bible passages. They can be interpreted to suit a wide variety of tastes.

Was it a sin for Peter to defend his master ? When Jesus asked them to pick up a sword was it cake they were going to cut with it ?
I could always find something to explain it away as a 'spirit filled' preacher. Anyone who would disagree will only make our case stronger by creating an us versus them situation (as seen within different christian denominations today).
Yes, because Jesus reprimanded him by invoking the law that anyone who kills by the sword would die by the sword. You see, he asked them to get swords, yet only one of them defends him with with it, and all that one gets is a reprimand. Maybe he had other things in mind as per the sword matter...? grin That's just my speculation, though. I think the reprimand proves conclusively that Peter's act was deemed a sin.
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by jayriginal: 2:48pm On Jun 18, 2012
MyJoe:
Yes, because Jesus reprimanded him by invoking the law that anyone who kills by the sword would die by the sword. You see, he asked them to get swords, yet only one of them defends him with with it, and all that one gets is a reprimand. Maybe he had other things in mind as per the sword matter...? grin That's just my speculation, though. I think the reprimand proves conclusively that Peter's act was deemed a sin.

And you would preach that if you had the inclination to do so, whereas I'd preach something quite different if my inclination was at variance with yours and we would each have our followers.
Who would be right and who would be wrong ? We are using the same bible afterall (and perhaps the same spirit grin ).

PS:
For the records, I do not see how the reprimand proves conclusively that Peter's action was a sin but I'm not willing to be drawn into that for now.
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by MyJoe: 3:02pm On Jun 18, 2012
jayriginal:
PS:
For the records, I do not see how the reprimand proves conclusively that Peter's action was a sin but I'm not willing to be drawn into that for now.
Well, it was Jesus himself giving the reprimand and it appears Peter accepted it. Of course, he did! It was his Lord talking. But if you have any doubts about this case, perhaps because the word "sin" was not used, what about the adulterous woman? In that case, Jesus simply said, "madam, no do am again" - go and sin no more. No mutilation recommended.

You see I have this one neatly tied up? wink grin
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by jayriginal: 3:40pm On Jun 18, 2012
MyJoe:
Well, it was Jesus himself giving the reprimand and it appears Peter accepted it. Of course, he did! It was his Lord talking. But if you have any doubts about this case, perhaps because the word "sin" was not used, what about the adulterous woman? In that case, Jesus simply said, "madam, no do am again" - go and sin no more. No mutilation recommended.

You see I have this one neatly tied up? wink grin

grin
Actually you dont. Very little if anything can be neatly tied up in the bible (figuratively speaking). You have simply offered a position and supported it from the bible. Anyone else can counter you and support his/her claim from the bible and be entitled to be taken to be correct.

Dont forget, the issue here is who's 'revelation' is correct and not who is making the most sense.
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by Ptolomeus(m): 5:02pm On Jun 18, 2012
I do not understand.
ccording to some, when the biblical God asks sacrifices of virgins in his honor, or when he orders razing a village and kill everyone, or when he orders to cut hands, or when he annihilates all the Deluge creacióin or he sends pest thousands ...... always say that's something metaphorical ...
But when God blesses you, or says "Love one another" .. is literal ...
I see a very biased in that.
I do not know if cutting the hands is something literally or metaphorically ... But not all the terrible acts that led Javeh were metaphorical.
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by MyJoe: 4:59pm On Jun 19, 2012
jayriginal:

grin
Actually you dont. Very little if anything can be neatly tied up in the bible (figuratively speaking). You have simply offered a position and supported it from the bible. Anyone else can counter you and support his/her claim from the bible and be entitled to be taken to be correct.

Dont forget, the issue here is who's 'revelation' is correct and not who is making the most sense.

Of course, you are right about there being no consensus among Christians on the biblical position on most things and about the Bible being open to different interpretations on matters. But on this particular one, if a debate were orgnanised between me and the person taking the literal viewpoint, I would land so many kicks and uppercuts as I cite verse after verse that he would end up looking like Rodney King after an encounter with the LA police. grin

Seriously, though, most Christians try to construe the meaning of scripture text from the surrounding words or by making reference to other verses. They usually resort to "revelation" when the argument is not going well for them. It's dishonest.
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by jayriginal: 6:28pm On Jun 19, 2012
MyJoe:

Of course, you are right about there being no consensus among Christians on the biblical position on most things and about the Bible being open to different interpretations on matters. But on this particular one, if a debate were orgnanised between me and the person taking the literal viewpoint, I would land so many kicks and uppercuts as I cite verse after verse that he would end up looking like Rodney King after an encounter with the LA police. grin

Seriously, though, most Christians try to construe the meaning of scripture text from the surrounding words or by making reference to other verses. They usually resort to "revelation" when the argument is not going well for them. It's dishonest.

Unfortunately, logic would not be the final say in such a debate. Each side would have his supporters cheering him on mindlessly.
Still, I daresay I can find verses which can be used to support the literal point of view. To find arguments isnt that difficult. I simply need to claim revelation and the faithful take it in well, . . . faith.
See here . . .

Image123:
Faith in God{the One you call the Christian God} supercedes reason. Faith is not opposite of reason or without reason, it is greater than and in a more advanced plane than reason. Unfortunate that such information could melt a fuse or two in you guys anytime it's re-stated.
https://www.nairaland.com/955608/did-god-want-dana-flight/12#11116068
Re: 8 Cut Off P.enises, Testicles. For Kingdom Of God by Onyocha: 9:20pm On Jun 19, 2012
do you guys remember this in Lagos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICO1X-JEL9o

(1) (2) (Reply)

Daily Inspirational Quotes / Why Are Beards Not Allowed For Jehovahs Witnesses? / I've killed a lot of people

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.