Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,974 members, 7,817,868 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal (8741 Views)

Jonathan Heads To Election On Bribery Hope, By SKC Ogbonnia / Al-mustapha Recants On Bribery Allegation Against Yoruba Leaders / In Wikileaks Stunner, Speaker Bankole Opens Up On Bribery Of Supreme Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by SkyBlue1: 2:24pm On Jun 15, 2012
check45: This House is being smart by half... how? Cleverly refering the matter to the Ethics and Privileges Committee. A commitee know NEVER to have sanction any corrupt lawmaker. Tambuwal speech was all decietfull grammar but no honest action. Till now the so called ethics committee has not met over Hembes issue, while Hembe still enjoys privileges of his office.Farouks case will also naturally die down in the House. IT IS SIMPLY A HOUSE OF THIEVES.

That is there business. Bribery is a crime!!! Screw ethics committee, there is evidence. I think you are giving the house too much power, they are not a law unto themselves. I will be and have been looking to the police and judiciary to resolve this matter, not the house!
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by chmod777: 2:26pm On Jun 15, 2012
Why not occupy NAS, when it is evident to do so. but when it seems insusbstantial to do , the you here occupy
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jun 15, 2012
say-d-fact:
I'M SURPRISED THIS HAS HAS NOT GOTTEN TO PAGE 10.... pple dey sleep?
lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed
Billyonaire: No, people have given up, most of the people here were busy critising GEJ, now the very truth open in their eyes, they dont know what to type. truth has prevailed in the end.

Bruv, boys just weak o, I swear. GEJ is in no way absolved, just that its heartbreaking to discover that everywhere you look we are actually submerged in corruption.
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jun 15, 2012
Funkymallam:

This is what beaf have been preaching here but most ppl focus only on d Executive arm.

Somebody even started a thread on knwoing ur representatives but most ppl ignored the thread cus it was not GEJ bashing or ethno centric thread, the few that posted made it clear they dnt knw n dnt care to knw. I posted a link with all their names and where they represent but nobody really show concern.

It is a pity!

ExecuTHIEVES, LegisLOOTERS and JudiSHARERS! angry

Please where is this thread? I tried searching for it, no luck yet.
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by livapul86(m): 2:32pm On Jun 15, 2012
Billyonaire: I was happier when I wasnt listening to Nigerian News and not even caring about the polity, I was more focused on US politics and I decided I should pay attention here and may be I could decide to vie and change certain things in future. But, I have decided today, I am no more interested in what happens in Nigerian Polity, my sensibility is insulted by what I saw today on TV. To hell with Nigeria politics.
Bro, as unfortunate as it is, your post above is the Gospel truth. The Nigerian political scene is a depressing place to be involved with, if you are an observer like the vast majority of us are. Each passing day, brings forth more absurdities than you can stomach.
Some posters made a reference to knowing your representatives by name, not a bad suggestion but does it really change anything? I doubt. The name of my rep. in the House is Prof Chudi Uwazurike, he rarely comes to the house sittings and on those days he bothers to come he contributes Nothing to discussions on the floor of the house. I have written to him more than once, yet no reply and no change. As for my Senator, Amb. Nwagwu his case is equally gloomy.
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jun 15, 2012
House of representaTHIEVES!
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by Demdem(m): 2:36pm On Jun 15, 2012
eGuerrilla:

What truth exactly @Mr Billyonaire?
Wait a minute, you mean it is not conceivable that Zenon Pet (Otedola) is also guilty as sin, as some of us have insisted all along?

You know, I am beginning to wonder if you are even remotely interested in the recovery of stolen subsidy funds.

The mind boggles, I no go lie...

I doubt also

My Dear Honourable Colleagues,

I now formally welcome you to this Special Session of Plenary which has been summoned pursuant to Order 5(18)(2) of the Standing Rules of the House of Representatives. It is the Second Special Session since the 7th House of Representatives was inaugurated on the 6th June 2011.

2.The object of the Session, which you have just accomplished, is to deliberate on grave allegation of bribery brought against a member of this Hallowed Chambers. Hon. Farouk Lawan by Mr. Femi Otedola, an oil marketer, in connection with the work of the Ad-Hoc Committee on the Monitoring of Fuel Subsidy Regime empanelled by the House for that purpose.

3.In accordance with our Legislative Agenda we must continue to be, not only sensitive to the yearnings and aspirations of Nigerians but also proactive on all matters of urgent National importance, therefore, while I apologize for the inconveniences caused to members by this sudden recall from the recess, I trust, we all appreciate that this is a call to important civic duty for our dear country.

4.Hon. Colleagues, when we elected to pursue the entrenchment of probity, accountability and transparency in the conduct of government business as a cardinal Legislative Agenda we advised ourselves never to expect that it will be an easy task. Accordingly I have had cause to occasionally sound a note of warning and reminder that our constitutional task is inescapably hazardous requiring total commitment, diligence, transparency; determination and sacrifice.

5.The Constitution has given the parliament three broad duties, which include Law Making, Representation and Oversight. It is interesting to note that of these three, it is that last function, which gives legislature the powers to conduct oversight, that has tended to cause conflict between the legislature and the Executive and remains the most controversial. Yet. it would have been impossible to conduct the other two functions successfully if the Constitution had not given the parliament oversight powers: the single most potent weapon that makers of the Constitution put in place to check abuse by those who execute its law.

6.In full compliance with the Constitutional prescription in S 62(1) and (2) the House has always ensured that all Committees empanelled by it, be they Ad-Hoc or Standing, are given a clear mandate. I find it compelling to state for the umpteenth time that the constitutional power of investigation conferred on the Legislature is for the purpose of law reform and for the exposure of corruption, inefficiency or waste in the execution or administration of laws within its legislative competence and in the disbursement or administration of funds appropriated by it. In the exercise of this function there shall be no sacred cows.

7.I have emphasized the constitutionality of the oversight function of the legislature because there lingers among many public officials, the notion that in holding public or investigative hearings, the Legislature is over stepping its bounds and also neglecting its other functions. Nothing can be further from the truth. The records of our performance for the first legislative year, which just ended on 6th June 2012, show that the performance in the area of legislation was equally impressive.

8.I wish at this point to make this pledge that the House of Representatives shall continue to act responsibly by ensuring that all investigations are instituted only when absolutely necessary. Furthermore, we shall insist on probity and fairness on the part of our members conducting such investigations; and we shall not hesitate to sanction anyone who in the course of these investigations overreaches himself or uses the process to intimidate anyone or engages in corruption.

9.The recent investigations into two Sectors, namely Oil Subsidy Regime and Capital Market were conducted in public, evidence and testimonies were freely given and taken and in the case of oil subsidy regime, monumental fraud was disclosed in the report of the Ad-Hoc Committee which has since been passed by the House and referred to the Executive for implementation by relevant agencies.

10.While we consider it preposterous and hasty to dismiss the current bribery allegations, pending the outcome of ongoing investigations, including our in-house investigation just instituted, we reject in totality insinuations being orchestrated in some media to the effect that the allegations have eroded the integrity of the Resolutions of the House on the report and rendered same unworthy of implementation.

11.Let me reiterate that the resolutions of the Hose over the fuel subsidy regime remain valid despite this recent controversy. We must as a country learn to separate institutions from individuals and we must admit that, in the present case, the alleged conduct of an individual cannot negate the conclusions of the whole House. Let me also reaffirm here that we have not been compromised and we shall never compromise our stand against corruption. The credibility of that report therefore remains inviolable and we stand by it.

12.May I, therefore, urge the Executive to match words with action in the implementation of these resolutions. As just resolved by motion, relevant Committees of the House must diligently monitor the implementation of the resolution by agencies under their supervisory jurisdiction and report back to the House within reasonable time.

13.My Dear Colleagues, the scope of our resolve for transparency in the conduct of government business includes all the arms of government; all public functionaries and all persons doing business with government or operating under Acts of the legislature. As members of parliament we enjoy no immunity and we seek none, let us therefore remind ourselves constantly that we must live above board. We offer ourselves for public scrutiny at all times in our effort to build a better Nigeria. As humans where we err and our attention is called we shall be willing to make amends in the overall national interest.

14.I call upon all of us to remain firm, resolute and committed to the execution of our constitutional mandate whatever the hazards. We must NEVER repeat NEVER be cowed or intimidated by any form or colour of antics that may be fashioned with intent to dampen our spirits and or break our resolve. It remains for me to say that, when the army suffers causalities of a few officers and men at the battlefront, it beats no retreat except it does not intend to win the battle. I am confident that men and women of integrity and character are in the overwhelming majority in our fold and we do not lack the numbers to prosecute the battle. We shall be judged not only by our words but more so by our actions.

15.To the good people of Nigeria we appeal for patience and understanding and wish to once more assure you of our sincerity of purpose and the determination to deliver the Nigeria of our dreams. The road may be rough and herculean but victory is sure.

16.Now therefore is the time to double the pace of our performance, including the investigative hearings, given that from the monumental fraud uncovered through these investigations, we know that we are surely on course.

17.The current unfortunate bribery allegation, whatever the outcome of ongoing investigation can only serve as impetus for us to do more, in the quest for the entrenchment of probity in governance.

18.In addition to routine oversight, we shall investigate everything that needs to be investigated in the process of the fashioning of a better Nigeria. In this regard, we shall continue to seek synergy with the other arms of government so as not to work at cross-purposes.

19.May the Almighty God grant us the Courage and Grace to do what is right at all times and in all situations.

Thank you all.
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by TheShopKeeper(m): 2:39pm On Jun 15, 2012
The HOR is just blowing hot air.
Most of them are bunch of corrupt politicians who can't hold a proper day job - very dubious in character.
Nothing, absolutely zilch will come out of this useless and time wasting episode.
Can't remember when a representative of questionable character was actually reprimanded or charged to the law court.
Talking of the law courts that's another basket case.
God wil not come down to help us, we have to be prepared to take real, decisive and effective actions that will cause a vibration shaking the National Assembly to its foundations.
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jun 15, 2012
livapul86:
Bro, as unfortunate as it is, your post above is the Gospel truth. The Nigerian political scene is a depressing place to be involved with, if you are an observer like the vast majority of us are. Each passing day, brings forth more absurdities than you can stomach.
Some posters made a reference to knowing your representatives by name, not a bad suggestion but does it really change anything? I doubt. The name of my rep. in the House is Prof Chudi Uwazurike, he rarely comes to the house sittings and on those days he bothers to come he contributes Nothing to discussions on the floor of the house. I have written to him more than once, yet no reply and no change. As for my Senator, Amb. Nwagwu his case is equally gloomy.

at least nairalanders now know that Prof Chudi Uwazurike and Amb. Nwagwu are two no-good thieving scum from the pit of hell. Unless otherwise proven. I will find my reps and relay my complaints. If they choose to ignore, I will post their names here and elsewhere, slander them for all they're worth, for as long as it takes. Sooner or later word will get to them through their families.
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by check45: 2:49pm On Jun 15, 2012
The problem of corruption is not just GEJ inactivity.It is not even PDP issue.It is in all the arms of government and all political parties ,PDP, ACN,others.It is a problem of the political class against the people. Both the executive and legislature,ruling and opposition parties are all corrupt e.g. the ongoing prosecution of the Speaker of Lagos Assembly while he still parrades himself about as Speaker. What does ACN has to say about that
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by TheShopKeeper(m): 2:59pm On Jun 15, 2012
So sad politics of no action.
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by jmaine: 3:07pm On Jun 15, 2012
The value of the subsidy report is as good as those papers used in wrapping "Akara" bean cake by the sides of the road . . .

.Painful i took it serious and was actually warming up myself to read the whole shyte angry

That report is Dead . .The reps are just playing an aimless game for self preservation . . . cool . . . .
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by toorich: 3:11pm On Jun 15, 2012
since when has the house of rep become security agency to carry out investigation on a crime? grin the theif was caught red handed, and nigerian legislators are speaking grammar. thats what they get paid for with tax payer's money
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by check45: 3:14pm On Jun 15, 2012
The House has shown that it has no shame by immediately re-inserting Otedolas name in the report. It smacks of vindictiveness. I hope they wont collectively attack more of his business interests now. Any visible person that openly talks about the Houses corruption always get delt with by them... remember Dino Melaye
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by phadat(m): 3:38pm On Jun 15, 2012
What more can one say politics is a dirty game and all off them bunch of thieves will rut in hell
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by Pennywise(m): 4:01pm On Jun 15, 2012
That this matter is being heard on the floor of the house of reps is commendable. If it was a matter involving a senator and the senate, David Mark would have since buried it because he eats, breathes and thrives very well on corruption. And there is nothing Jonathan and ten EFCC can do about it.
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by Oyedey4u(m): 4:26pm On Jun 15, 2012
A day to learn to know my legislatures, and their contact. his name is babatunde omoworare...... i've not check his activities in the house due to frequent power outage
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by Tropilo(m): 5:03pm On Jun 15, 2012
omosexy1: The House of Reps constitutes committee of the whole to reconsider involvement of Otedola's company in fuel subsidy scam.

Are these guys jokers?

Isn't that the right thing or you just want them to throw the baby with the bath water.
Its important to get to the root of the bribery issue. The committee indicted Otedola's firms for requesting and getting about $253m and did not use it for what the firms asked for. Isn't that fraud. If its true?
Let's try and be fair to all parties. Agreed Lawan messed himself up, but Otedola's firms should go under forensic search light.
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by GboyegaD(m): 5:08pm On Jun 15, 2012
omosexy1: Where is the Save Nigeria Group when you need them? Are they sleeping?

Perhaps on vacation.
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by GboyegaD(m): 5:13pm On Jun 15, 2012
Billyonaire: I was happier when I wasnt listening to Nigerian News and not even caring about the polity, I was more focused on US politics and I decided I should pay attention here and may be I could decide to vie and change certain things in future. But, I have decided today, I am no more interested in what happens in Nigerian Polity, my sensibility is insulted by what I saw today on TV. To hell with Nigeria politics.

Na today yansh start to dey for back? My challenge with the Nigerian polity is that we the individuals are not sincere even to ourselves so how do we expect the government to be sincere to us. Despite all this mess we witness, I can bet you we would still make the same mistake in the forth coming election. Just try to do what you can do by reaching out to those you can and giving them the bad advise as we all cannot just keep taking our hands off the Nigerian situation although it is very pathethic.
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by lanrefront1(m): 7:01pm On Jun 15, 2012
Really, I don't understand; one the things that should happen is that Otedola's comapny should be back on the list.

This is the accusation agaisnst Lawan: he collected $3 million bribe to take off Otedola's two companies of the list of the companies idicted.

Let both Lawan and Otedola take their matters to the Law i.e let Lawan be invistagted and punished for taking bribe and tampering with the list presented by the consultants who worked on the case.

Let Otedola go to court and prove the innicence if his companies. He is a billionaire, so that should not be a problem for him.

The names of his company should be back on the list because it's now glaring they were removed because of the bribe money collected. Simple
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by otokx(m): 7:16pm On Jun 15, 2012
Not much to write home about
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by JAMILO2020: 7:22pm On Jun 15, 2012
FELLOW NIGERIANS,

ELECTING PEOPLE INTO A PRIVILAGED POSITION IS A CHOICE WE ARE SUPPOSED TO MAKE AS OUR RIGHT TO CHOOSE.

WE NIGERIANS HAVE MADE EXTREMELY BAD CHOICES IN THE PEOPLE WE HAVE ELECTED OR ALLOWED TO BE CRIMINALLY SELECTED.

CONSTITUTION OR NOT, WE HAVE NOW GONE PAST THE TIME WE SHOULD ALL WAKE UP COLLECTIVELY AND KICK THESE CROOKS OUT.

NIGERIA IS BETTER-OFF WITH MILITARY MEN WHO WILL FORCE US TO DO AS THEY WISH, THAN ALLOWING PEOPLE THAT ARE ELECTED TO REPRESENT US, DOING WORSE THAN WE WOULD HAVE EXPECTED FROM THE ARMED FORCES.

IMAGINE THE DIFFERENCE IN SALARY BETWEEN THE POLITICIANS AND THE ARMED FORCES ? YET THESE POLITICIANS WHO AWARDED THEMSELVES HUGE SALARIES AS WELL AS BENEFITS, CONTINUED TO ROB US SO SHAMELESSLY.

I BLAME THE 'GROUNDNUT & GARRI' ARMED FORCES OFFICERS WHO CAN NOT EVEN FIND THE COURAGE TO DEFEND US BY STANDING UP AND KICKING THESE CROOKS OUT.

I NOW OPENLY CALL ON THE ARMED FORCES TO TAKE OVER THE GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA, BECAUSE OUR CRIMINAL POLITICIANS ARE HELP BENT ON DESTROYING NIGERIA.

EVERY MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES OF NIGERIA SWORE TO "PROTECT NIGERIA AGAINST BOTH INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL ENEMIES".

IT IS NOW VERY CLEAR THAT THE NIGERIAN POLITICIANS ARE UNREPENTANT ENEMIES OF THE STATE OF NIGERIA.

MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES SHOULD MOVE IMMEDIATELY TO SAVE NIGERIA RIGHT NOW!

SHAME ON THE ARMED FORCES IF THEY CONTINUE TO ALLOW THIS CRIMINALITY IN NIGERIA!!
Re: LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal by sdbaba: 8:46pm On Jun 15, 2012
I'm still surprised that after all the extensive discuss and reports on this matter, some people still can't take some salient points to heart and show they're well educated and can comprehend what they just read.

People are still mentioning that Zenon collected $232, 975, 385.13 while Synopsis Enterprises collected $51, 449, 977.47 for oil that they never "exported" instead of import-- Haba! make we wise up small na. The reality here is that they bought these amounts of dollars from the CBN at the official exchange rate of the Naira to the Dollar at that period giving the CBN the impression that they want to use it for their business transactions which we all know is Oil and Gas. IT IS NOT THAT THEY OBTAINED A GRANT OR EVEN A LOAN FROM THE CBN OR FED GOVT OF NIGERIA. IT IS STILL THEIR OWN MONEY.

Investigating this act will be an absolute waste of time because they - the companies will point you to a thousand and one things which they did with the procured FOREX. THE best they can be prosecuted for is that they lied to the CBN on the true use of the procured FOREX, WHICH WE ALL KNOW NO ONE HAS EVER BEEN SENTENCED TILL DATE IN NIGERIA FOR YET.

Moreover most banks even do it, present fake requests to CBN at the weekly DAS and then go back to sell it at exhorbitant prices to their customers. Some banks even have Abokis and BDGs that they sell these currencies to and get huge returns from. They call it "round tripping" in their financial sector so pls let's try and understand the basic facts of this issue before we start calling for the head of Otedola, instead we should be grateful that he took the bold step of exposing all these dis-honourable thieves that call themselves Honourables. Can anyone here beat their chest that the likes of Dangote, Adenuga, Jim Ovia, Oba Otudeko and other business moguls in this country have not at one time or the other given bribes to induce govt officials? Abeg make we give this guy a break jo.

I for one already have plans to buy the pen video recorder to record most of these corrupt officials that demand bribes before doing what they're been paid to do and posting them here and on youtube. Can you imagine for over two years now I can't get a common C of O in Oyo State and the woman handling it has already collected over N200K from me. The last one that caused quarrel was when she asked me to bring another N30k to get another Tax Clearance meaning I'd have paid about N60K alone for tax clearance for getting C of O of just one plot, she's there claiming the first one expired... can you beat that. Oyo State would not accept my Lagos State tax Clearance for purpose of getting a C of O in Ibadan, is this not Nigeria anymore?

Abeg we still have a long way to go my people!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yobe Governor Supports Emergency Rule / Guinea Bissau Apologises To Nigeria Over Attack On Embassy / Breaking News: I'd Rather Resign Than Postpone Elections - Prof. Jega

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.