Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,015 members, 7,814,465 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) (5798 Views)

Nigeria At 55: The 10 Biggest Cultural Groups In Nigeria / Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri / The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Nobody: 1:04am On Jun 23, 2012
^^^^Why can't you preach the same sermon to yourself when you call Igboid groups like Ikwerre Igbos?

And I never said Igala were Yoruba, I said they're Yoruboid - peep the difference...
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Nobody: 1:06am On Jun 23, 2012
flairlady: had to go through your post again,doesnt look as if u were asking a question.hmm,were did i call you a bigot?ok thanks and have a good day.peace.

Whatever woman, I don't care about Igala, and I never called them Yoruba... I said they're classified as Yoruboid..
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by amor4ce(m): 1:15am On Jun 23, 2012
Ngodigha1:
Through inter-group relations, a lot of groups have borrowed words from one another. It is no big deal if you have yoruba words in itsekiri etc. But attempt to claim them is a foul play and shameless greed. In as much as those groups respect the yorubas, the yorubas should do same.
Thieves, enough is enough.
Foreign (not Yoruba) anthropologists noticed the similarities of both Yoruba and Igala languages and thought it convenient to classify both as Yoruboid. They could as well have used Igalaoid bit decided otherwise. Why did you not accuse them of bigotry, foul play, shameless greed and outright stupidity?

Did the Yoruba publish fake research articles and websites like these:
Ethnologue
WolframAlpha (click on sources)

How about you come up with proof of Itsekiri denying the Yoruba? The Yoruba have not even alluded to any other similarity in both cultures, yet you accuse the Yoruba. Have you become spokesperson of the Itsekiri?

Consider odumchi's advise.

1 Like

Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by aljharem(m): 1:39am On Jun 23, 2012
flairlady: had to go through your post again,doesnt look as if u were asking a question.hmm,were did i call you a bigot?ok thanks and have a good day.peace.

Oma Igala, there is a difference between Yoruboid and Yoruba itself. smiley

1 Like

Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by odumchi: 1:52am On Jun 23, 2012
shymmex: ^^^^Why can't you preach the same sermon to yourself when you call Igboid groups like Ikwerre Igbos?

And I never said Igala were Yoruba, I said they're Yoruboid - peep the difference...

A topic like this deserves a thread of its own so that it can be discussed thoroughly.

I've never called anyone 'Igboid'. For someone to understand the term 'Igboid', they would have to understand the complex and encompassing term 'Igbo'. One could spend a great amount of time discussing this.

The Ikwere are one of the people that make up the Igbo nation. Neither they nor their languages are properly referred to as 'Igboid'. The term 'Igboid' was only made to accommodate the Ekpeye language since it resembles Igbo proper but is still divergent enough to be considered a separate language. The term 'Igboid' is broken up as follows:

Igboid = Igbo proper, Ekpeye (Ika is sometimes referred to as an Igboid language although most of the time it's considered a dialect of Igbo)

The Ekpeye language is 'Igboid' but the Ekpeye people are not. See the difference? That's the point I'm trying to make in the case of Yoruba and Igala.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Obiagu1(m): 3:22am On Jun 23, 2012
odumchi:

A topic like this deserves a thread of its own so that it can be discussed thoroughly.

I've never called anyone 'Igboid'. For someone to understand the term 'Igboid', they would have to understand the complex and encompassing term 'Igbo'. One could spend a great amount of time discussing this.

The Ikwere are one of the people that make up the Igbo nation. Neither they nor their languages are properly referred to as 'Igboid'. The term 'Igboid' was only made to accommodate the Ekpeye language since it resembles Igbo proper but is still divergent enough to be considered a separate language. The term 'Igboid' is broken up as follows:

Igboid = Igbo proper, Ekpeye (Ika is sometimes referred to as an Igboid language although most of the time it's considered a dialect of Igbo)

The Ekpeye language is 'Igboid' but the Ekpeye people are not. See the difference? That's the point I'm trying to make in the case of Yoruba and Igala.

It still surprises me how Igala is classified as Yoruboid. The two languages, Igala and Yoruba, may sound similar tonally but morphologically and syntactically are different. The only Yoruboid group in Nigeria is Itsekiri. Ekpeye is not a good example when it comes to Igala. Ekpeye language is very much Igbo but more divergent than any other Igbo subgroup dialect. The equivalent should be Idoma and it will be ridiculous to classify Idoma as Igboid.

1 Like

Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Chyz2: 7:31am On Jun 23, 2012
@shymexx, you see what you've gotten yourself into with making false claims? Now an Igala has come to tell you off. I told you and the rest of your brothers that Igala are not yoruba and have a totally different culture. Next time you all will listen. The Igala language was classified as yoruboid, the people were not. There are only 300 similar or exact words Igala share with yorubas. Believe, me if they talk you will not be able to understand them,at all. It is not even a dialect to yoruba. In fact are the yoruba even neighbors to the Igala?lol. . .I'll let you figure that out or do some research.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Chyz2: 7:46am On Jun 23, 2012
@shymmex,

This video is Idoma people. Would you label this language yoruboid as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpICtQw6fks&feature=relmfu

You got a lot to learn and also to learn which groups came from which.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 23, 2012
-
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Nobody: 10:23am On Jun 23, 2012
Chyz*:
@shymmex,

This video is Idoma people. Would you label this language yoruboid as well?

You got a lot to learn and also to learn which groups came from which.

Where did I label Idoma as Yoruboid?

I said Igala and Itsekiri are classified as Yoruboid.

[img]http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP5871a22eai4660eebb000005d061b8bc783g397?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=37&w=500&h=642&cdf=Resizeable[/img]
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Nobody: 10:27am On Jun 23, 2012
I don't see how a thread I created based of what I saw on the internet can generate so much negativity.. undecided
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Ngodigha1(m): 11:29am On Jun 23, 2012
Now the goal post has been shifted again, it is Ghana now. The yoruba extends to Ghana, the yoruba owns Ghana. Wonders shall never end.
For heavens sake, the yorubas are big enough, they should not be extending territories now. The days of old oyo empire is gone. Trying to extend territories now will be seen as agression.
Once again, respect independent nations and do not insult them.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Chyz2: 1:57pm On Jun 23, 2012
shymmex:

Where did I label Idoma as Yoruboid?

I said Igala and Itsekiri are classified as Yoruboid.

[img]http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP5871a22eai4660eebb000005d061b8bc783g397?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=37&w=500&h=642&cdf=Resizeable[/img]

Igala is not classified as Yoruboid the language is classified as Yoruboid but by only some authors. About the video, was just a question.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by odumchi: 4:10pm On Jun 23, 2012
Obiagu1:

It still surprises me how Igala is classified as Yoruboid. The two languages, Igala and Yoruba, may sound similar tonally but morphologically and syntactically are different. The only Yoruboid group in Nigeria is Itsekiri. Ekpeye is not a good example when it comes to Igala. Ekpeye language is very much Igbo but more divergent than any other Igbo subgroup dialect. The equivalent should be Idoma and it will be ridiculous to classify Idoma as Igboid.

I'm not saying that the lexiconic relationship between Igbo and Ekpeye is the same as that between Yoruba and Igala. What I'm saying is that just as the Ekpeye language is said to be Igboid (but the people are not), that's the same way that Igala is said to be Yoruboid (even though the Igala people are not). The terms 'Yoruboid' and 'Igboid' only apply to languages and not people.

I'm not a linguist (at least not yet grin) so I can't say exactly why the Igala language is Yoruboid. If you believe this is wrong, maybe you should write a book on why Igala shouldn't be classified as such cheesy.

But let's let Shymmex move along with his thread.

1 Like

Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Ptolomeus(m): 5:12pm On Jun 25, 2012
@flairlady @ Ngodigha1
If the fear was that a mistake Igala with a Yoruba, I, as a foreigner and living thousands kilometers from Nigeria, I transmit to you the peace of mind that has not happened. I now I have very clear, that Igalás nothing to do with the Yoruba ethnic.

@ Odumchi.
Dear friend.
His observation sheds light on the subject. In Nigeria, speaks English, but you are not British. In Uruguay is spoken Spanish, but we are not Spanish. I think you've put a very good example.
One thing is the language we use, and over the root of our nation or ethnic group.

Finally, dear friends ...
Take our consciousness, that this type of discusioens are important, and explanatory. We should not lose his temper, because that does not help the development of the discussion.
Observe how calm Odumchi has given his opinion, and with few words (and no disqualification) the issue has been clarified.

It hurts me greatly to see so divided African ... I think that tribal problems happened hundreds of years ago, are still hovering like ghosts, and preventing the binding ...
That happens all over the world, but not with the force with which it occurs in Africa.
If we all make an effort to overcome it?
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jun 25, 2012
Ptolomeus:
It hurts me greatly to see so divided African ... I think that tribal problems happened hundreds of years ago, are still hovering like ghosts, and preventing the binding ...
That happens all over the world, but not with the force with which it occurs in Africa.
If we all make an effort to overcome it?

I used to be like you.. 3/4 years ago, I didn't even know much about Yoruba/Nigerian culture - though. my parents are Yoruba (Ijebu and Ibadan)... I was just an African guy in London, and I was proud of my Nigerian/African roots... Even when I started learning about African history, I studied about Hausa (Songhay), Nok, Igbokwu, and Benin before Yoruba...And I aligned myself with these great people before Yoruba... The only thing I knew about Yoruba were the Orishas, and Oyo... I learned most of the things I know about Yoruba culture on NL..

I found myself on NL whilst trying to seek knowledge about my people... I've learned a lot from NL, but at the same time some of these posters are annoying, and you have to get defensive and aggressive to get your points across...

It's just a pity that forum like NL brings out the worst in people - but hey, it isn't a permanent thing because it isn't a permanent thing... We all evolve as we grow older..

But thanks for showing interest in the Yoruba culture.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Ase1: 3:28pm On May 27, 2015
Na lack of knowledge in LINGUISTICS dey kill all of una... Chai!
When the word Yoruboid is attested, it doesn't imply to a race or people but a LANGUAGE GROUP that shares mutual structures in Grammar. For example; Yoruba, Edo, Itsekiri and others grouped under YORUBOID share the same tonal level i.e, high, mid and low and they also operate nasal vowels.
However, Yoruboid has nothing to do with origin, history or geographical location of a particular people.
Hope am clear
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Ase1: 3:36pm On May 27, 2015
Yoruboid is a group of languages composed of Igala, a language spoken in central Nigeria, and the Edekiri group, the members of which are spoken in a band across Togo, Benin and southwestern Nigeria. The name Yoruboid derives from its most widely spoken member, Yoruba, which has more than 20 million speakers. Another well-known Yoruboid language is Itsekiri (Nigeria, 600,00-800,000 speakers). The Yoruboid group is a branch of Defoid, which itself is a branch of the Benue–Congo subfamily of the Niger–Congo language family.

Igala is a key Yoruboid language, spoken by 1.8 million people in the Niger-Benue confluence of central Nigeria, it is excised from the main body of Yoruboid languages to the west by Ebirra and the Edo languages. Igala is closely related to both Yoruba and Itsekiri languages.

All Yoruboid languages are tonal, with most of them having three level tones. Grammatically, they are isolating with a subject–object–verb basic word order.

The Itsekiri's are a riverine Yoruboid people who live in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria. They maintain a distinct identity separate from other Yoruboid people. Their neighbours are the Urhobos, The Ijaws, and the Mahin Ilaje, a Yoruba clan.

Na lack of knowledge in LINGUISTICS dey kill all of una... Chai!
When the word Yoruboid is attested, it doesn't imply to a race or people but a LANGUAGE GROUP that shares mutual structures in Grammar. For example; Yoruba, Edo, Itsekiri and others grouped under YORUBOID share the same tonal level i.e, high, mid and low and they also operate nasal vowels.
However, Yoruboid has nothing to do with origin, history or geographical location of a particular people.
Hope am clear
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Nobody: 11:08pm On May 27, 2015
Ngodigha1:

No ronke, you got it wrong. yorubas are nice but 98% of yorubas in nairaland are bloody liars. They only go about claiming people who are not yoruba as yoruba. It is an insult to those groups. How would yorubas feel if Igalas, nupes etc go about making a mockery of the yorubas all the time. I believe in respect and one love.

Don't give yourself hypentension.

1 Like

Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Nobody: 11:12pm On May 27, 2015
odumchi:
Let me just add something I noticed...

It seems as if you guys have misunderstood the suffix '-oid'. That suffix only refers to languages and not to ethnic groups as whole. In this case, the Igala language is said to be Yoruboid; that doesn't mean the Igala ethnicity is Yoruba or anything like that. If it did, then Igala would've been a sub-group or clan (whichever you choose to call it) of Yoruba and not it's own ethnicity.

Igala is an ethnic nationality which is separate from Yoruba. However, the Igala language is said to be 'Yoruboid'. Remember, people are never 'oids', languages are.

That's just my two cents.

Nice one! He does not understand English. No wonder he wants to kill himself out of ignorance

1 Like

Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Nobody: 11:23pm On May 27, 2015
Chyz2:
@shymexx, you see what you've gotten yourself into with making false claims? Now an Igala has come to tell you off. I told you and the rest of your brothers that Igala are not yoruba and have a totally different culture. Next time you all will listen. The Igala language was classified as yoruboid, the people were not. There are only 300 similar or exact words Igala share with yorubas. Believe, me if they talk you will not be able to understand them,at all. It is not even a dialect to yoruba. In fact are the yoruba even neighbors to the Igala?lol. . .I'll let you figure that out or do some research.

You must be a slow poke. Did he say Igalas are Yorubas. You've problems with comprehension or what
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Nobody: 11:32pm On May 27, 2015
Ngodigha1:
Now the goal post has been shifted again, it is Ghana now. The yoruba extends to Ghana, the yoruba owns Ghana. Wonders shall never end.
For heavens sake, the yorubas are big enough, they should not be extending territories now. The days of old oyo empire is gone. Trying to extend territories now will be seen as agression.
Once again, respect independent nations and do not insult them.

I think you need a doctor fast

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do People Survive In Africa / Somali Culture / What Your Name Would Have Been In Korea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.