Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,050 members, 7,821,614 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

$3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators (9404 Views)

Metuh Bows To EFCC, Cooperates With Investigators-newswatch Times / Why We Released Apc’s Jafaru Isa, Still Detain Pdp’s Olisa Metuh – EFCC / Investigators Trace N650m To Nduka Obaigbe, Thisday Publisher - SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

$3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by Aringarosa(m): 10:42pm On Jun 18, 2012
By: MURPHY GANAGANA

Monday, June 18, 2012

*Police in a fix over possible trial

Investigators yesterday said that Hon. Farouk Lawan at the centre of a $3 million bribe scandal over the fuel subsidy payments, was released under considerable pressure, Daily Sun has learnt. Lawan, suspended Chairman, House Committee on Education, was detained last Thursday when he eventually honoured a police invitation

Indications also emerged that the Police Special Task Force (STF) investigating the scam involving the former Chairman, House of Representatives Ad-hoc Committee on Fuel Subsidy payments, might have run into a hitch. The problem is on how to retrieve the "appropriately marked" 500,000 dollar bills vital for a successful prosecution.

Against the backdrop of perceived investigative and alleged operational blunders and inconsistencies in the statements of the suspects, a top police officer, who does not want his name in print, yesterday confided that the police had actually decided not to grant bail to Lawan until he produced the bribe money, but eventually caved in due to intense pressure and blackmail.

His words: "The police wouldn't have released him without recovering the exhibit, but there was serious pressure on the investigators and even the IG. We didn't want to grant him police bail; we wanted him charged to court with the exhibit so that the court can decide his fate. But the pressure became too much and at a point, they were now turning the issue to appear as if it was a battle between the North and the West, and if not for our experience, they would have gotten at us. So, we had to grant him conditional bail with an undertaking to provide the money to us between Tuesday and Wednesday".

He said when asked by detectives at the STF during his interrogation on Thursday at the Louis Edet House Force Headquarters in Abuja to justify his claim of handing over the bribe money to Chairman, House Committee on Narcotics, Drugs and Financial Crimes, Hon Adams Jagaba, instead of appropriate security agencies, Lawan had no explanation, but said he made a mistake.

On how the trial may face some hurdles, it was the alleged failure of the State Security Service [SSS], which reportedly undertook the electronic video recording operation at the Abuja residence of the Chairman of Zenon Petroleum & Gas, Mr. Femi Otedola, to recover the bribe money at the scene of the incident.

Daily Sun checks revealed that though the STF investigators led by Commissioner of Police Ali Ahmodu, last Monday, watched the video clips of how Lawan walked into Otedola's residence and collected $500,000 being part-payment of the alleged $3million bribe, the fact that the money was said to be marked by the SSS, but not recovered immediately from the suspect, had triggered fears of prosecutorial blunders when the suspects are eventually arraigned.

"The SSS which covered the operation said the money was marked before it was given to Lawan. The whole thing was electronically recorded, which was proper, but the mistake they might have made was not recovering the money from him on the spot. The standard operational rule in the security circle is that if marked money was given in an operation, you must recover it on the spot as evidence.

"Now, even if the money was actually marked, some people will instigate Lawan and tell him, don't bring out that money. Or even if he brings out the money since he had accepted collecting the bribe, though with a caveat, what of if the money surrendered is not marked", a source close to the investigators queried yesterday.

The source, who did not want to be named, said that alleged SSS' failure to avail police investigators with evidence that the money was actually marked had become worrisome.

He said: "The fact is that when money is marked for an operation, it does not mean that you paint the currency with colour; you simply record the serial numbers of all the notes given. We had expected that the SSS had followed this procedure, and if that was done, there should be no difficulty in providing us with the evidence even if they failed to recover the bribe money on the spot. That is why we are deeply worried".

After an initial denial, Lawan eventually accepted collecting $500,000 from Otedola, but claimed he kept the money under the custody of Hon. Jagaba, as an evidence of bribe given to him by the Zenon Oil Chairman. The police said Lawan was granted bail at the weekend after an undertaking to produce the exhibit money this week.

Interestingly, one of his counsel, Mr. Israel Olorundare (SAN), had reportedly denied the existence of such undertaking. According to him, "based on what Lawan told me, he said he wrote an undertaking to facilitate how to get to the Chairman of the House Committee on Narcotics, Drugs and Financial Crimes, Adams Jagaba, whom they want to ask questions about the whereabouts of the bribe sum. To the best of my knowledge, he did not say he will produce the bribe sum. Even in the undertaking, he did not give any time-frame when he will link up with Jagaba, but it might be before the end of next week."

Meanwhile, Lawan, who was suspended by his colleagues as Chairman of the House Committee on Education and the Ad-hoc Committee on Fuel Subsidy Management, at an emergency session on Friday, has reportedly hired four Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SANs)including Olorundare to handle his case. He is expected to report today at the police headquarters for further interrogation.

http://odili.net/news/source/2012/jun/18/500.html
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by Kobojunkie: 11:10pm On Jun 18, 2012
StoryLand, StoryLand, Land of Music Fun and Tales, StoryLand, StoryLand, Bring your friends along!

4 Likes

Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by jellyloveb(f): 6:25am On Jun 19, 2012
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by Murphy7h4: 6:41am On Jun 19, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]Good point
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by Nobody: 10:27am On Jun 19, 2012
Kobojunkie: StoryLand, StoryLand, Land of Music Fun and Tales, StoryLand, StoryLand, Bring your friends along!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by dplordx(m): 10:30am On Jun 19, 2012
corruption will never get any easier if there is still a Nigeria come 2015 or yonder.
how painfully I wish I was beaf, or some niger politician right now....
shame this opportunity will never exist by the time someone like myself runs for office.
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by Nobody: 10:31am On Jun 19, 2012
Case sold out, no doubt... grin
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by inspirenet: 10:32am On Jun 19, 2012
Kobojunkie: StoryLand, StoryLand, Land of Music Fun and Tales, StoryLand, StoryLand, Bring your friends along!

grin
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by SpiritofOkija(m): 10:36am On Jun 19, 2012
I laugh at NIGERIANS!!!

All this nonsense na our fault...

WIth the number of scams that have been revealed this year, I would have thought that we would have Occupied Nigeria again but no!! As long as say the price of Fuel no change, no problem.. How myopic..

Farouk Lawan.. I dey laugh..

Ofcourse he would go scotfree, because, Nigerians are only interested in the gist of corrution rather than fighting it.. Just like the subsidy gist, the 2 billion Naira Pension scam gist, Demeji Bankole gist, this one will also end as a gist.. I'm sure by the end of July a new gist would have surfaced..

If anybody believes that 1 senator/rep would chop 3 million dollars bribe alone without paying off atleast 10 to 20 other reps/senators and even the Speaker of the senate and reps, then una dey fhuck up..

3 Likes

Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by PeterKbaba: 10:36am On Jun 19, 2012

Wow, those were the good old days.... watch your tv now, nigeria has been robbed by nigerians
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by Jabioro: 10:40am On Jun 19, 2012
Season 2 of Pauloma,season 3 of Jack Bouwer and season 4 of Faroukgate.next?
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by debosky(m): 10:43am On Jun 19, 2012
Who put the police under pressure? Who is in charge of the SSS that has bungled the investigation? Don't these people have names? Can't the IG compel the SSS to provide it with any information on marked bills/serial numbers?

Can't the Police arrest Jagba for collecting proceeds of corruption?

Too many questions and too few answers. . . . nothing is ever straightforward in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by Joey82(m): 10:49am On Jun 19, 2012
so why havent the STF invited hon jagaba since lawn claims he handed over the monies to him. or did jagab return the money back to farouk?
why are they trying to trace the moneys in bank accounts when lawan has clearly stated that the money was handed over to hon jagaba?
i'm not a trained investigator but i think i can do better than this so called stf. ish!
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by lacasa: 10:52am On Jun 19, 2012
Mtcheeeu!
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by ifihearam: 10:54am On Jun 19, 2012
Question pls

Who has the authority to put the IG under pressure ??

3 Likes

Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by question(m): 10:55am On Jun 19, 2012
Tales by moonlight.
Even the oga kpata kpata, IG of Nigeria police is under pressure.. I tire for this country o.
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by funkymedina: 10:55am On Jun 19, 2012
Rubbish!
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by Nuzo1(m): 11:14am On Jun 19, 2012
When you have a case of this sort, all you need do is get your townsmen to claim witchhunting against your ethnic group and the case will be shut down immediately!

Who wants to be accused of "tribalism", even when it seems you are doing the right thing? cheesy tongue

The trick sure do work like reverse racism in some parts of the world.

Hallelujah!! grin
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by revomind(m): 11:22am On Jun 19, 2012
Spirit of Okija: I laugh at NIGERIANS!!!

WIth the number of scams that have been revealed this year, I would have thought that we would have Occupied Nigeria again but no!! As long as say the price of Fuel no change, no problem.. How myopic..

Farouk Lawan.. I dey laugh..

Ofcourse he would go scotfree, because, Nigerians are only interested in the gist of corrution rather than fighting it.. Just like the subsidy gist, the 2 billion Naira Pension scam gist, Demeji Bankole gist, this one will also end as a gist.. I'm sure by the end of July a new gist would have surfaced..

If anybody believes that 1 senator/rep would chop 3 million dollars bribe alone without paying off atleast 10 to 20 other reps/senators and even the Speaker of the senate and reps, then una dey fhuck up..

The problem is illiteracy. Fuel price increase touches the very basic level of livelihood of every Nigerian no matter the class. I agree its a useless situation. You also have to doff your hats the way any scandal is quickly turned into an ethnic/religious issue. These people KNOW (not think) Nigerians are fools.

1 Like

Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by blackknight1: 11:24am On Jun 19, 2012
Spirit of Okija: I laugh at NIGER

. My point exactly. Nigerians will only complain or protest if it directly affects their pocket, and murmur about everything else. As long as book haram stay in d north, majority of d people are fine. If u guys can come out 4 fuel, why can't bakare nd d rest come out and demand 4 justice 2 b done. Until we realise that the true power of any nation lies with d people, we will always b a nation of cowards satisfied with merely existing instead of living
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by pingpong1: 11:27am On Jun 19, 2012

You are dead right kobo. It is not emough to catch a thief. Prove that he stole is a difficult task. I knew our so called James Bond Policemen will bottle this matter and some on here were just going about shouting "sting" "stung" "Stang" "steng" "stung". Let the story continue abeg.
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by Koolface4u: 11:43am On Jun 19, 2012
Presure in IG? That's the power of 9ija. Case closed.
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by kaeto(m): 11:44am On Jun 19, 2012
If we don't carry out an all black attired protest with at least 5million protesters to vastly outnumber 400 k police in this country, then force our way into that aso coven of witches then am afraid cos with time we'll have just nada left to the common man. These idiot leaders must all be lynched in a bloody revolutionary style, else, mhn! All these nL bullcraps will get us no where. My heart is so heavy n am dumb at this point. Why am i a black n a nigerian at that, at my age av already suffered from the evil arms of corrupt fools who I keep on my radar, waiting for judgement day just as 'wicked' as Buhari, to pay back relentlessly what these fools did to me cos i declined their callous n greedy offer!
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by gbadexy(m): 11:44am On Jun 19, 2012
You've just heard it, the case is as good as being over.
Did the video also close in on the marked money before FL collected it to prove that it is not the money he collected if he brings another money.
How could SSS make the serious error of not arresting him and recovering the exhibit at the crime of the scene? This is beginning to appear like a script to confuse us.
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by asemota2012: 11:49am On Jun 19, 2012
What happened to and what were the security agencies who were there to record and video the scene of the bribe there for and what action did they take thereafter?
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by gbadexy(m): 11:54am On Jun 19, 2012
ifihearam: Question pls

Who has the authority to put the IG under pressure ??
PRESIDENT
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by erniok(m): 12:01pm On Jun 19, 2012
@kobo: lol, u b old school oo.

I said it, if FL plays his card well, na tales by moonlight e go go. No b african china sing am: poor man wey steal maggi na I'm dem dey show for crime fighter.

This only reinforces what we all know: in Naija, if you must steal, steal big, sorry ryan shupe for taking a line from your song. Weep my beloved country
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by erniok(m): 12:02pm On Jun 19, 2012
@kobo: lol, u b old school oo.

I said it, if FL plays his card well, na tales by moonlight e go be. No b african china sing am: poor man wey steal maggi na I'm dem dey show for crime fighter.

This only reinforces what we all know: in Naija, if you must steal, steal big, sorry ryan shupe for taking a line from your song. Weep my beloved country
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by NaMe4: 12:02pm On Jun 19, 2012
Once again, the ethnic card has been used to oppress poor Nigerians . . . by Nigerians!

This Country has to split. This is absolute Rubbish! Half illiterates (Some are even complete illiterates) thinking they can do whatever they feel using ethnic and religious sentiments.

Wallahi if this guy goes free with all the clear evidence against him and those thieves in that NASS, then we should be well assured Nigeria is the definition of a Complete State of Anomie!
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by freshmoney(m): 12:05pm On Jun 19, 2012
Are NPF trying to exonerate themselves for being culpable of releasing Farouk? Notwithstanding, it's a pity that this failed country is being maneuvered by ethnic bigotry. Now Northern politicians are threatening NPF with ethnic war caveat? House fails to release the bribe notes; SSS insisting they marked the notes without any consequential evidence to substantiate it; Otedola claims he gave out bribe to Farouk with video footage, but it's a pity why the recorded is not being displayed to the mass; Farouk was granted a bail without a court order. This scandal will gradually become extinct in a month, funny enough.
Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by samstradam: 12:18pm On Jun 19, 2012
I would just advise my brothers and sisters to wake up, this country is rotten to the core and we never hear the full story.

I have long believed that Otedola and the SSS lied about there co-operation in this "sting" operation and every day longer it takes to convict Lawan they expose there stupidity.

I mean everywhere in the world where I have heard of a Sting bribery operation, conviction is as simple as catching your kid putting his hand in the stew pot. They don't even need video evidence nor marked notes, all they needed to do was to arrest him at any time he was coming out of Otedola house with the dollars. So how can anyone tell me that a law enforcement body anywhere in the world would have known the date a man was coming to collect the money, watched the man on video collect it and let the man leave with the money on 3 different occasions without arresting him if that was indeed there intention. People are not even aware of this, but even Femi Otedola could have arrested him hmself and that would have been more helpful than the current situation. Everyone knows that the money being physically present and caught in the possesion of the alleged criminal is the most important evidence you need in this case, it even outweighs a confession, which a man can later deny. This is appears to be a simple and proven case of
BLACKMAIL
BLACKMAIL
BLACKMAIL
It's either
1.Femi Otedola did not tell the SSS and marked his notes himself and was conducting his own private blackmail scheme. Later when things went wrong he phoned a friend in the SSS and got them to corroborate his silly story
2. Who ever is behind this Sting opertaion was hoping the dollars would end up in more peoples hands hoping to blackmail them too ( I'm looking at Tambuwal as the target here).

Whatever the case, there was no sincere move to expose any form of corruption and thus Nigeria's future looks doomed. Oh and clearly the more the SSS is implicated in this joke of an operation, the delay of Lawans arrest and all the poltical witchhunting that has been going on as a result, suggests that our CITC (Commander-in-theif and cluelessness) hands are here too.

1 Like

Re: $3m Bribe: We Released Lawan Under Pressure - Investigators by Geophem(m): 12:30pm On Jun 19, 2012
When dis movie go end!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bukola Saraki Engages Young Professionals On Key Issues In Nigeria / FRSC Returns N430,000 Recovered From Kano Accident Scene (Photo) / EFCC Scales Up Investigations On P&ID

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.