Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,263 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout (9773 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: Low Turnout Mars Schools Resumption In Lagos State / Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. / The Positive Turnout Of UNN Protest(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by GboyegaD(m): 6:10pm On Jun 20, 2012
luvola: @ mona- dnt mind all their retardeen post including the moderator. We posted a thread last week about lasu convocation where( we expect the retardeen modarator to pv it m d front page) the sch turns out 41 first in three years,2853 2nd class upper out of over 28,000graduates. I finished last year dec and and our certificates are ready for collection. It is only bad news that normally tarnish d image of that do appear on the front. Smh for d retardeens post thrash about lasu

So LASU graduated over 28000 students in 3years with those terrible facilities? How were they able to teach them effeciently? Lastly, having 41 first, 2853 2nd class upper out of over 28000 graduands makes it a very good school right? It is either those who were graduated are dumbs or your lecturers do not understand what they were teaching if less than 15% of the graduands made an overall average of 70%.
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by GboyegaD(m): 6:32pm On Jun 20, 2012
mapet:

1. Is LASU better than other state university? Hell YESSSSSSS grin grin grin
2. Did Fashola not benefit from Free Education? Well i don't know, but is free education still sustainable in an ever increasing year on year entry rate like LASU on lean facilities?
3. Let's not get overtly sentimental here, there is nothing dishonourable Fashola has done here. Lagos state should have standard University.

At least a session is almost gone that they started paying the new tuition in order to improve quality right? Has anything changed so far except for low intakes? When do we expect to start seeing changes? After a decade or at the next increament in tuition? The truth still remains that the increament in years past have never been justified because of the corrupt system and until this is battled, I do not see any difference in the quality no matter how much students pay.
Lastly, most schools are funded not only on tuition but on grant from government and if Fashola wants to hands off grant to the school in the name of self sustainance, can we get them reduce the amount being alloted to education since all he pays for is secondary school teachers salaries and besides, these student pays development fees which should be enough to sustain the school in most cases.
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by dollyptosh(m): 6:38pm On Jun 20, 2012
life_style: I can't waste such amount of money in Nigerian Universities...

Spending such amount of money in a Nigerian University is an unwise investment decision.
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by dollyptosh(m): 6:45pm On Jun 20, 2012
Chanchit: Phuck lasu...! Nxt yr they would get 1000 students for their p.ume, no body go teach them before they announce the new tuition fee.... Mtcheeew... Even those that graduated from that God forsaken school are yet to recieve their certificate... Increasing tuition fee, while rendering bad service...
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jun 20, 2012
Abeg where them put the result of the post ume o jare?
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by OdunetLbs: 10:09pm On Jun 20, 2012
haba bros, what do u mean by terrible facilities...i graduated from fetes, lasu's engineering school, d entire campus is wireless bro, air conditioned libraries with d latest edition books. Fashola actually just built a first of its kind digital chem eng lab for 500million bucks, d US govt is financing a similar one in american uni's. LASG is investing over 8 billion bucks in lasu this year 'i heard d new senate building under const might dwarf unilags famous sky scrapper'. Lasu's engr also got approval 4 d first aeronautic eng dept in naija. They presently hv d national space and rocket propulsion agency on ground in d school, with numerous rocket test launches monthly. D director was my former thermofluid lecturer. And all brilliant nerds should know that high grades equals free tuition and 20k pocket money from lasu. Plus 200k extra if u are a lagos indigene. By the way, a first class is at least 90th percentile, and not 70. Sorry, any typo is because of d small phone screen im using. Cheers
GboyegaD:

So LASU graduated over 28000 students in 3years with those terrible facilities? How were they able to teach them effeciently? Lastly, having 41 first, 2853 2nd class upper out of over 28000 graduands makes it a very good school right? It is either those who were graduated are dumbs or your lecturers do not understand what they were teaching if less than 15% of the graduands made an overall average of 70%.

1 Like

Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by ecolime(m): 11:36pm On Jun 20, 2012
Odunet Lbs: haba bros, what do u mean by terrible facilities...i graduated from fetes, lasu's engineering school, d entire campus is wireless bro, air conditioned libraries with d latest edition books. Fashola actually just built a first of its kind digital chem eng lab for 500million bucks, d US govt is financing a similar one in american uni's. LASG is investing over 8 billion bucks in lasu this year 'i heard d new senate building under const might dwarf unilags famous sky scrapper'. Lasu's engr also got approval 4 d first aeronautic eng dept in naija. They presently hv d national space and rocket propulsion agency on ground in d school, with numerous rocket test launches monthly. D director was my former thermofluid lecturer. And all brilliant nerds should know that high grades equals free tuition and 20k pocket money from lasu. Plus 200k extra if u are a lagos indigene. By the way, a first class is at least 90th percentile, and not 70. Sorry, any typo is because of d small phone screen im using. Cheers
You are totally right on point... However, I'm not cool with the high fees.
@Pa Odunet: I see you
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by manny4life(m): 9:54pm On Jun 21, 2012
Odunet Lbs: haba bros, what do u mean by terrible facilities...i graduated from fetes, lasu's engineering school, d entire campus is wireless bro, air conditioned libraries with d latest edition books. Fashola actually just built a first of its kind digital chem eng lab for 500million bucks, d US govt is financing a similar one in american uni's. LASG is investing over 8 billion bucks in lasu this year 'i heard d new senate building under const might dwarf unilags famous sky scrapper'. Lasu's engr also got approval 4 d first aeronautic eng dept in naija. They presently hv d national space and rocket propulsion agency on ground in d school, with numerous rocket test launches monthly. D director was my former thermofluid lecturer. And all brilliant nerds should know that high grades equals free tuition and 20k pocket money from lasu. Plus 200k extra if u are a lagos indigene. By the way, a first class is at least 90th percentile, and not 70. Sorry, any typo is because of d small phone screen im using. Cheers

At the bold part, ARE YOU SURE? Aeronautical engineering? Come on now, yall should quit the random news. A school who charges N384 thousand per student, Fashola is about to spend 8billion, YET, the website says something else. Talk about rocket test launches? launches into were? Launches every month? Is the type of rocket launch I watch on National Geographic or NASA any different from yours that launch every month, not even every quarter, it's every month..

Like how much did they spend on their rocket launch? Even schools like Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in FL(the best school in Aeronautical engineering)DO NOT launch rockets every month even the miniature ones, then it's LASU. Like seriously, how much is their Sponsored Research Budget? $50million annually? undecided undecided undecided People please, yall need to quit this lies... it does not HELP. embarassed embarassed embarassed

2 Likes

Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by GboyegaD(m): 10:09pm On Jun 21, 2012

What is the student - lecturer ratio in the Ojo campus? How equipped are the laboratories at the Ojo campus? Having a wireless campus is no big deal when students do not have access to computer or do you use the wireless on your bare palm? Do you know how many books N8billion would buy and where is the library you intend keeping that? If you guys test launch rockets monthly we would have heard of it because it would have been a great achievement for the nation or are you referring to paper rocket like we used to do in primary school? Lastly a second class upper is a 70% and surely whoever has a first surely exceeds that and if less than 15% of the graduands had less than 70% then, it is either your professors do not understand what they were teaching or you guys had difficulties understanding and please, stop spreading falsehoods just to favor your arguments.

2 Likes

Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by GboyegaD(m): 10:11pm On Jun 21, 2012
manny4life:

At the bold part, ARE YOU SURE? Aeronautical engineering? Come on now, yall should quit the random news. A school who charges N384 thousand per student, Fashola is about to spend 8billion, YET, the website says something else. Talk about rocket test launches? launches into were? Launches every month? Is the type of rocket launch I watch on National Geographic or NASA any different from yours that launch every month, not even every quarter, it's every month..

Like how much did they spend on their rocket launch? Even schools like Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in FL(the best school in Aeronautical engineering)DO NOT launch rockets every month even the miniature ones, then it's LASU. Like seriously, how much is their Sponsored Research Budget? $50million annually? undecided undecided undecided People please, yall need to quit this lies... it does not HELP. embarassed embarassed embarassed

Do not blame him because he feels everyone can be deceived.
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by OdunetLbs: 3:26pm On Jun 22, 2012
Well whatever the student-lecturer ratio is, it'll probably reduce further now with d new fees (Sorry about, I'm just being sacastic). But its lesser than any public school "I know off" in nigeria, starting from admissions around two/three years ago I believe...we have just 3 students in final year mech engrn, and about 8 in electrical (though lesser level have about 40 though)...so u should get my point. But d idea is that rich guys can pay d fees while brilliant ones can ride on the full tuition scholarship available in lasu. Also I insist that a first class is above d 90th percentile ( (4.5/5)*100=90 )

Cheers
GboyegaD:

What is the student - lecturer ratio in the Ojo campus? How equipped are the laboratories at the Ojo campus? Having a wireless campus is no big deal when students do not have access to computer or do you use the wireless on your bare palm? Do you know how many books N8billion would buy and where is the library you intend keeping that? If you guys test launch rockets monthly we would have heard of it because it would have been a great achievement for the nation or are you referring to paper rocket like we used to do in primary school? Lastly a second class upper is a 70% and surely whoever has a first surely exceeds that and if less than 15% of the graduands had less than 70% then, it is either your professors do not understand what they were teaching or you guys had difficulties understanding and please, stop spreading falsehoods just to favor your arguments.
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by OdunetLbs: 3:40pm On Jun 22, 2012
Well I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough ab initio, LASU is not the agency launching this miniature test rockets but the federal government agency "national rocket and space propulsion agency" the facility is situated on LASU's engineering campus at epe. I mentioned earlier that a lecturer from my dept was a director there...so there is a collaboration between the government agency and LASU, I believe that why lasu is having d FG approved department of aeronautical engrn. And about d monthly test rocket launch, I confess there's a bit of hyperbole in that, but its quite often though, maybe once in few months "sha" (I've observed twice a month occurrence though). Sou see its an FG agency so believe me money is not an issue...lol
manny4life:

Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by OdunetLbs: 3:40pm On Jun 22, 2012
Well I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough ab initio, LASU is not the agency launching this miniature test rockets but the federal government agency "national rocket and space propulsion agency" the facility is situated on LASU's engineering campus at epe. I mentioned earlier that a lecturer from my dept was a director there...so there is a collaboration between the government agency and LASU, I believe that why lasu is having d FG approved department of aeronautical engrn. And about d monthly test rocket launch, I confess there's a bit of hyperbole in that, but its quite often though, maybe once in few months "sha" (I've observed twice a month occurrence though). Sou see its an FG agency so believe me money is not an issue...lol
manny4life:

Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by GboyegaD(m): 5:00pm On Jun 22, 2012
Odunet Lbs: Well whatever the student-lecturer ratio is, it'll probably reduce further now with d new fees (Sorry about, I'm just being sacastic). But its lesser than any public school "I know off" in nigeria, starting from admissions around two/three years ago I believe...we have just 3 students in final year mech engrn, and about 8 in electrical (though lesser level have about 40 though)...so u should get my point. But d idea is that rich guys can pay d fees while brilliant ones can ride on the full tuition scholarship available in lasu. Also I insist that a first class is above d 90th percentile ( (4.5/5)*100=90 )

Cheers

I know a first class is above the 90th percentile while a second class upper is a 70%. The number of those who had a second class and above are less than 15% of the total graduands which should be a big shame to the University. Like I said in my earlier post, I no not know a thing about LASU's Engineering because I have never been to the campus but for those who studied in Ojo, the student lecturer ratio is just like that of every other public university. Lastly, for the scholarship, is it automatic for all first class students?
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by GboyegaD(m): 5:08pm On Jun 22, 2012
Odunet Lbs: Well I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough ab initio, LASU is not the agency launching this miniature test rockets but the federal government agency "national rocket and space propulsion agency" the facility is situated on LASU's engineering campus at epe. I mentioned earlier that a lecturer from my dept was a director there...so there is a collaboration between the government agency and LASU, I believe that why lasu is having d FG approved department of aeronautical engrn. And about d monthly test rocket launch, I confess there's a bit of hyperbole in that, but its quite often though, maybe once in few months "sha" (I've observed twice a month occurrence though). Sou see its an FG agency so believe me money is not an issue...lol

That a research institute is located in the University doesn't make the university better than others. It is the availability of space for what they need to do that matters the most as the researchers may not even be from the faculty of the school on whose campus it is located. More so, I have not heard of them launching any rocket so far and would appreciate some information on any of the rockets launched by them. Like you claim, money may not be an issue but the expertise to design and launch one is.
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by OdunetLbs: 10:21am On Jun 23, 2012
well, i believe the ratio is far less 'now'...i do understand how insane it used to be. About d full tuition scholarship, the requirement used to be a CGPA of above 4.0 but startin from this session its above 4.5 and its automatic. U also asked where d new books would be kept in ur ealier post, ccecc (same guys buildn lagos kano railway and lagos light rail) is buildin a new central library in ojo.
GboyegaD:

I know a first class is above the 90th percentile while a second class upper is a 70%. The number of those who had a second class and above are less than 15% of the total graduands which should be a big shame to the University. Like I said in my earlier post, I no not know a thing about LASU's Engineering because I have never been to the campus but for those who studied in Ojo, the student lecturer ratio is just like that of every other public university. Lastly, for the scholarship, is it automatic for all first class students?
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by OdunetLbs: 10:53am On Jun 23, 2012
well, i didnt say its d best though. I actually just implied that things are gettin beta over there.
Here's a little info d center, its a research agency so dont expect so a lot news from them on their test launches (i doubt if nasa give info on their test launches, d media is mostly involved with their space missions)
CENTRE FOR SPACE TRANSPORT
AND PROPULSION (CSTP), EPE
CSTP focuses on:
1. Development of indigenous
capability in rocketry and
launching of satellites
2. Development of satellite launch
site
3. Building capacity in aerospace
engineering.
For more information on this
centre, please visit
www.nasrda.gov.ng
so d center's collaboration with lasu, gave birth to d aeronautical engineerin program
GboyegaD:

That a research institute is located in the University doesn't make the university better than others. It is the availability of space for what they need to do that matters the most as the researchers may not even be from the faculty of the school on whose campus it is located. More so, I have not heard of them launching any rocket so far and would appreciate some information on any of the rockets launched by them. Like you claim, money may not be an issue but the expertise to design and launch one is.
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by manny4life(m): 2:51am On Jun 24, 2012
Odunet Lbs: Well I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough ab initio, LASU is not the agency launching this miniature test rockets but the federal government agency "national rocket and space propulsion agency" the facility is situated on LASU's engineering campus at epe. I mentioned earlier that a lecturer from my dept was a director there...so there is a collaboration between the government agency and LASU, I believe that why lasu is having d FG approved department of aeronautical engrn. And about d monthly test rocket launch, I confess there's a bit of hyperbole in that, but its quite often though, maybe once in few months "sha" (I've observed twice a month occurrence though). Sou see its an FG agency so believe me money is not an issue...lol

Dude, not to play down your intelligence or what you've said, however, what I want to know is, what is the project that involved launching of rockets? For instance, Embry Riddle paid good money for their students to perform a launch, in fact here is the link http://www.erau.edu/er/newsmedia/newsreleases/2007/icarus.html

So again, what kind of launch did they perform and what's the goal of their monthly, quarterly or even annual launches? At least, I know that even miniature rocket launches don't come cheap, so what's the deal?

Umm money is an issue whether an agency or not although, ICARUS cost more than $175,000 to launch, unless if it's for educational/instructional purposes in which it's really miniature like the one Embry Riddle students use for their collegiate competition. However, unless you have VERY GOOD REASONS, rocket launch into orbit for any other reason other than for instructional purposes cost real $$$. So please, read the link I provided, then use the information provided in the link and then give us details about their rocket.
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by OdunetLbs: 8:47am On Jun 24, 2012
Well, thanks for not playing down my intelligence...lol
As you might have heard, the FG agency involved "nasdra" has sent about three satellite to space (I think one of them went off grid maybe last year) but this launches where done in far away china. The vision of this agency is to have these launches done in Nigeria in a couple of years. So it has some research centres to help achieve this aim.
One of them is:
The centre for space transport and propulsion, Epe. The objectives of this particular centre were stated in my earlier post. The centre is located on d same facility as lasu's engineering school, and thus a couple of collaborations have been established, like a FG approved aerospace/aeronautical engineering program, student trainee (under itf siwes program)
, lecturer/researchers exchange between d centre and d faculty, etc

manny4life:

Dude, not to play down your intelligence or what you've said, however, what I want to know is, what is the project that involved launching of rockets? For instance, Embry Riddle paid good money for their students to perform a launch, in fact here is the link http://www.erau.edu/er/newsmedia/newsreleases/2007/icarus.html

So again, what kind of launch did they perform and what's the goal of their monthly, quarterly or even annual launches? At least, I know that even miniature rocket launches don't come cheap, so what's the deal?

Umm money is an issue whether an agency or not although, ICARUS cost more than $175,000 to launch, unless if it's for educational/instructional purposes in which it's really miniature like the one Embry Riddle students use for their collegiate competition. However, unless you have VERY GOOD REASONS, rocket launch into orbit for any other reason other than for instructional purposes cost real $$$. So please, read the link I provided, then use the information provided in the link and then give us details about their rocket.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Knows The Date For The 2007 Jamb Exams / Should Sex Education Be Taught As A Subject In Nigerian Schools? / JAMB: When Truth Hurts Infinitely By Anthony Kolawole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.