Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,920 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:10 PM

North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia (1174 Views)

Southerners Erroneously Think The North Is Dependent On The South - Ben Bruce / Derivation And Deprivation: Why The North Is Poor / Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia by PointB: 4:51pm On Jun 20, 2012
North is now a failed region – Kumalia
On June 19, 2012 · In News
5:21 pm
Email1 Tweet

By Victoria Ojeme
ABUJA – Former member of the Federal House of Representatives and Chairman of Northern Re-Awakening, Hon. Mohammed Kumalia from Borno State, Tuesday described the northern region of the country, as a failed region going by the total collapse of its economy and spiraling insecurity.

Hon. Kumalia who spoke during a media parley in Abuja blamed the present state of insecurity in the region on social and economic inequalities, among other vices.

He stated that, disenfranchised youths and those forced to live on the fringes of society in the north have become willing tools in the hands of forces of disharmony in the region.

According to him, “The alarming and pervasive inequality all across the North has precipitated a dangerous phenomenon that needs to be addressed urgently.

“We are already witnessing restiveness amongst the disenfranchised in our communities to the extent that they have unwittingly become willing tools in the hands of devious manipulators in the cause of perpetrating disharmony in the society” Kumalia added.

He lamented that, “The most sinister and urgent challenges include the lack of unity, general insecurity, poverty, unemployment, increasing illiteracy, hopelessness and uncertainty for the future, these challenges pose a very grave barrier to the overall development of the region and its people.

Kumalia regretted the failure of leadership to address these challenges, resulting in the rapid decline in standard of human dignity and capital development, adding that, “the worst affected include our women, children and the elderly.

Hon Kumalia canvassed urgent need to begin the process of rebuilding the north.

“We need to get back to our agricultural heritage as a starting point to exploit the comparative advantage of the region in order to achieve a balanced, inclusive and sustainable development, this will go a long way to help restore our core values where everyone can earn a decent living”

He further explained that the vision of the forum is to create an economically viable North with the necessary infrastructure to support its citizens to be self sufficient and to live peacefully with one another irrespective of tribe or creed.

“we want a North where children are put back to schools and the scourge of carefree Almajiri system and corruption are severely diminished or altogether eliminated, we want to see a North where our core values of honesty, hard work, integrity, equity and justice, religious tolerance, hospitality and accommodation, good governance and respect for elders, leaders and constituted authority becomes the cornerstone of its future” Hon. Kumalia said.

Bishop Mathew Hassan Kukah in his reamarks blamed the present security challenge in the country on the political class, who, he accused of not doing enough to deliver on the promises.

He called on Muslims and Christians to consider the present situation as a conflict between the darkness and light, urging them for patience and understanding.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/06/north-is-now-a-failed-region-kumalia-blame/
Re: North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia by PointB: 5:07pm On Jun 20, 2012
Kumalia regretted the failure of leadership to address these challenges, resulting in the rapid decline in standard of human dignity and capital development, adding that, “the worst affected include our women, children and the elderly.
Certainly the benefit of North's 38 years (mis)rule. What more can one say?
Re: North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia by Afam4eva(m): 5:12pm On Jun 20, 2012
Failed? Where they ever the opposite or something close?

The north blew away their opportunity to be counted amongst developed regions because of the greediness that most of their leaders possess. Despite the fact that they've ruled this nation for over 30 years in an authoritative fashion, they did not deem it fit to put their region in order and right now because they've lost the mantle of leadership, they're busy spilling the blood of innocent Nigerians.
Re: North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia by PointB: 5:16pm On Jun 20, 2012
afam4eva: Failed? Where they ever the opposite or something close?

The north blew away their opportunity to be counted amongst developed regions because of the greediness that most of their leaders possess. Despite the fact that they've ruled this nation for over 30 years in an authoritative fashion, they did not deem it fit to put their region in order and right now because they've lost the mantle of leadership, they're busy spilling the blood of innocent Nigerians.

They (normal Northerners included) lost the plot the moment they failed to embrace formal education; I bet they thought, wrongly, that the government will provide for all their needs.

How many (normal)Southerners are directly benefiting from government? A simple question they failed to ask (nor answer)
Re: North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia by Afam4eva(m): 5:18pm On Jun 20, 2012
PointB:

They (normal Northerners included) lost the plot the moment they failed to embrace formal education; I bet they thought, wrongly, that the government will provide for all their needs.

How many (normal)Southerners are directly benefiting from government? A simple question they failed to ask (nor answer)
For some strange reasons, i think Northerners found it more difficult to get formal education unlike their southern counterparts. So, to a greater extent, i think their leaders should be blamed for the most part.
Re: North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia by PointB: 5:31pm On Jun 20, 2012
afam4eva:
For some strange reasons, i think Northerners found it more difficult to get formal education unlike their southern counterparts. So, to a greater extent, i think their leaders should be blamed for the most part.

I can't say for sure if their leaders should take the whole blame. I don't know the number of primary and secondary schools in various state in the North, how far they apart they are, and how populated the schools are. But I know how many kilometers I had to walk to get to school back in the days.

Basically with little or no persuasion, normal folks should reasonably educate/equip the child/ward for the future. Sending them to koranic schools was very short sighted.
Re: North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jun 20, 2012
When you make the strategic blunder of packing all your brightest..not so brightest and royal blood into the military..at the expense of proper formal education in the hope that the Military party will last for ever...without an alternative plan B.....you get the kind of confusion that has enveloped the North.
Re: North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia by Afam4eva(m): 5:32pm On Jun 20, 2012
PointB:

I can't say for sure if their leaders should take the whole blame. I don't know the number of primary and secondary schools in various state in the North, how far they apart they are, and how populated the schools are. But I know how many kilometers I had to walk to get to school back in the days.

Basically with little or no persuasion, normal folks should reasonably educate/equip the child/ward for the future. Sending them to koranic schools was very short sighted.
Islam also played it's own part in keeping the north uneducated.
Re: North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia by PointB: 5:36pm On Jun 20, 2012
ilugunboy: When you make the strategic blunder of packing all your brightest..not so brightest and royal blood into the military..at the expense of proper formal education in the hope that the Military party will last for ever...without an alternative plan B.....you get the kind of confusion that has enveloped the North.

That is true.

I suppose even when Military was going out of fashion, many of the still did not realise the need to change cousre, and when they did the sheepishly embraced the Almajiri System, to the extent that only 17 Out Of 18000 Students passed WAEC and NECO in Gombe State - as recently as Feb 2012.
Re: North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia by PointB: 5:40pm On Jun 20, 2012
afam4eva:
Islam [/b]also played it's own part in keeping the north uneducated.

That is it my brother - a religion that is too conservative has it own serious draw back. This is where I blame their leaders, some of the saw the benefit of education, embraced it, and benefited from it. But they would not encourage their 'subjects' to do same. They prefer to lord over the ignorant for obvious reason. Now they have their reward -[b] a failed region!
Re: North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia by Afam4eva(m): 5:43pm On Jun 20, 2012
PointB:

That is it my brother - a religion that is too conservative has it own serious draw back. This is where I blame their leaders, some of the saw the benefit of education, embraced it, and benefited from it. But they would not encourage their 'subjects' to do same. They prefer to lord over the ignorant for obvious reason. Now they have their reward - a failed region!
You see, that's where the egalitarian nature of Igbos and easterners helps. If we had demi-gods as leaders in the east, don't you think the east would have been like north. In the east, it's every man for himself. I think that has helped us a lot but it also has it's drawback which is evident in the political climate of Nigeria.
Re: North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia by PointB: 5:50pm On Jun 20, 2012
afam4eva:
You see, that's where the egalitarian nature of Igbos and easterners helps. If we had demi-gods as leaders in the east, don't you think the east would have been like north. In the east, it's every man for himself. I think that has helped us a lot but it also has it's drawback which is evident in the political climate of Nigeria.

That's true my brother. The Igbo and easterners system breed highly independent, and largely successful individuals, of course with the political drawbacks - which can always be fixed. So in the end, a system that breeds successful individuals trounces that which breeds dependents!
Re: North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia by icez: 9:41pm On Jun 20, 2012
shocked
Re: North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia by koruji(m): 1:43am On Jun 21, 2012
There is nothing like a failed region, only FAILED NATIONS.

NIGERIA FAILED LONG AGO, in 1914 to be precise.

PointB: North is now a failed region – Kumalia
On June 19, 2012 · In News
5:21 pm
Email1 Tweet

By Victoria Ojeme
ABUJA – Former member of the Federal House of Representatives and Chairman of Northern Re-Awakening, Hon. Mohammed Kumalia from Borno State, Tuesday described the northern region of the country, as a failed region going by the total collapse of its economy and spiraling insecurity.

Hon. Kumalia who spoke during a media parley in Abuja blamed the present state of insecurity in the region on social and economic inequalities, among other vices.

He stated that, disenfranchised youths and those forced to live on the fringes of society in the north have become willing tools in the hands of forces of disharmony in the region.

According to him, “The alarming and pervasive inequality all across the North has precipitated a dangerous phenomenon that needs to be addressed urgently.

“We are already witnessing restiveness amongst the disenfranchised in our communities to the extent that they have unwittingly become willing tools in the hands of devious manipulators in the cause of perpetrating disharmony in the society” Kumalia added.

He lamented that, “The most sinister and urgent challenges include the lack of unity, general insecurity, poverty, unemployment, increasing illiteracy, hopelessness and uncertainty for the future, these challenges pose a very grave barrier to the overall development of the region and its people.

Hon Kumalia canvassed urgent need to begin the process of rebuilding the north.

“We need to get back to our agricultural heritage as a starting point to exploit the comparative advantage of the region in order to achieve a balanced, inclusive and sustainable development, this will go a long way to help restore our core values where everyone can earn a decent living”

He further explained that the vision of the forum is to create an economically viable North with the necessary infrastructure to support its citizens to be self sufficient and to live peacefully with one another irrespective of tribe or creed.

“we want a North where children are put back to schools and the scourge of carefree Almajiri system and corruption are severely diminished or altogether eliminated, we want to see a North where our core values of honesty, hard work, integrity, equity and justice, religious tolerance, hospitality and accommodation, good governance and respect for elders, leaders and constituted authority becomes the cornerstone of its future” Hon. Kumalia said.

Bishop Mathew Hassan Kukah in his reamarks blamed the present security challenge in the country on the political class, who, he accused of not doing enough to deliver on the promises.

He called on Muslims and Christians to consider the present situation as a conflict between the darkness and light, urging them for patience and understanding.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/06/north-is-now-a-failed-region-kumalia-blame/
Re: North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia by StarrMatthieu: 8:56am On Jun 21, 2012
Re: North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia by PointB: 10:19am On Jun 21, 2012
koruji: There is nothing like a failed region, only FAILED NATIONS.

Perhaps there is no failed region, how about failed states, and zones?

Anyway, it's all semantics, we cannot deny what is happening in the North is a catastrophe. A result of seeking power for the sake of it, while people are consumed by ignorance disease, poverty, and now literally by religious fanaticism.
Re: North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia by kunlekunle: 1:56pm On Jun 21, 2012
koruji: There is nothing like a failed region, only FAILED NATIONS.

a deviation from the system of govt created in 1914 led to the problem.
you should know that a deficient democracy is mob rule, as we have now.
tom and harry and umar has a say,
Re: North Is Now A Failed Region – Kumalia by icez: 4:50pm On Jun 21, 2012
cry cry cry cry

(1) (Reply)

. / TB JOSHUA - Don't Bring My Name Into Ondo State Political Propaganda / President Jonathan's Paid Militants Millions Of Dollar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.