Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,206 members, 7,815,198 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

In The Month Of The Falling Leaves - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / In The Month Of The Falling Leaves (1110 Views)

The Last Wolf Series : The Forgotten Mate (December 2015 Story of the Month) / Tarasha - (An Action Thriller) - Story Of The Month - January 2016 / HANNAH 'S STORY ----***falling In Love Or Lust With My Neighbour ***---- (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In The Month Of The Falling Leaves by Orikinla(m): 10:41pm On Nov 27, 2007
November 27, 2007.

I am not in a good mood.

Polanski said to me, that Listopad, is the"month of falling leaves
Nkosi said it is called ngeyeNkanga, "month of the small yellow daisies".
White Feather said it is the "month of the dog" and the Croatian one called it "Studeni, the cold one".

The leaves have been falling with mixed blessings on Bonny Island this November.
Many families are eating bitter leaves on this Island of the old Bonny kingdom.

We have been in a state of emergency at the Nigeria LNG on Bonny Island since the contract staff began their strike two weeks ago. The dispute became worse as one of the contractors who was wounded and blinded by tear gas died yesterday while the family was still in court over their demand for him to be flown abroad for better medical attention and for a compensation of N100 million for damages. Then this Tuesday, a security guard and two Nigerian police officers were murdered in the morning. Rumours have been circulating that the friends of the dead contractor attacked and killed the security guard and Nigerian police officers to avenge the death of their friend, who was a member of a dreaded cult with links to the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND).

Six female officers of the Spy Police wing of the Nigerian Police Force posted to the Nigeria LNG Bonny Plant Complex were attacked and raped in their official quarters. Another young woman who was raped on Bonny Island committed suicide, because she could not bear the stigma and trauma of her predicament.
Other women have been attacked and raped by armed robbers whilst crossing the sea last week.

A 15-year-old girl was crushed to death in their garage by her sister-in-law in the Nigeria LNG Residential Area (RA) 1 and a very young child died after swallowing some poisonous particles in their house. Four other people working for the Nigeria LNG have died within this same month of November.

My sister and others traveling from the Nigeria LNG Estate had to fly over the Bight of Bonny in a helicopter, straight to the airport in Port Harcourt, where they took their respective flights out of Rivers state. My sister flew into Lagos yesterday for medical attention and should not be troubled by the crisis on Bonny Island.

Only God can protect and save us.
Re: In The Month Of The Falling Leaves by doyin13(m): 6:26am On Nov 28, 2007
Quite macabre. . . . sad sad sad sad
Re: In The Month Of The Falling Leaves by Nobody: 11:06pm On Nov 28, 2007
looks like things are gradually falling apart in the LNG.
Re: In The Month Of The Falling Leaves by Orikinla(m): 9:49am On Nov 29, 2007
Ziddy,
No matter what happens here in the Niger Delta or elsewhere, chim amanda, because, my Chi (destiny) has been signed and sealed by the Almighty God to survive and win, no matter the chaos. But the security of our neighbours is my top priority.

The fact is the management of Nigeria LNG and Shell Petroleum Development Company (SDPC) thought they were wiser than me. Everything I warned them of in 2004 has occurred.

My families extend from Umuahia in Abia to Opobo to Buguma to Bonny and Agbor, and their security is my first priority.

The white expatriates have sent their families back to America, Europe, Australia and Asia and the Nigerians are competing among themselves.

Corruption and gross injustice caused the chaos destroying precious lives and valuable propereties in the Niger Delta.

The contractor was wounded and blinded when one of the anti-riot mobile police officers shot his tear gas canister into his face. The delay in giving him the best medical treatment caused his death.

Another contractor died nearly two years ago when he was denied the emergency medical attention that would have saved his life after an "Okada" motorbike accident on Bonny Island. He was a very young man who just got married and the bread winner of the poor family. When the wife came to collect some imported goods from my sister, I felt like weeping as I thought of the agony of her burden of losing her husband within only a year of being married.

The violence in the Niger Delta can be stopped by simple obedience to the voice of the conscience.
Re: In The Month Of The Falling Leaves by angelempy(f): 3:29pm On Nov 30, 2007
as a bonny indigene, i never imagined that that spotless haven could degenerate this far. a few years ago, bonny wsa the only city in rivers state where the was total peace and productiveness. now the reverse is the case.
its such a pathetic tale. especially since no one seems to be doing anything to abate the lawlessness and choas. no wonder my parents haven't let me set foot there in ages.
Re: In The Month Of The Falling Leaves by Orikinla(m): 1:07pm On Dec 01, 2007
angel_empy:

as a bonny indigene, i never imagined that that spotless haven could degenerate this far. a few years ago, bonny wsa the only city in rivers state where the was total peace and productiveness. now the reverse is the case.
its such a pathetic tale. especially since no one seems to be doing anything to abate the lawlessness and choas. no wonder my parents haven't let me set foot there in ages.

Bonny Island was safer when I came first in 2005.
I pray for peace, because I am about to begin the co-production of a documentary on Monkey Village and I do not want aanyone to kidnap my co-producer and director.
Re: In The Month Of The Falling Leaves by angelempy(f): 1:59pm On Dec 01, 2007
i also pray so.with the spate of kidnappings and nefarious acts commited in that 'island of blue waters' no one seems to be safe anymore.

(1) (Reply)

Vengeance. . . . Reviews Are Welcome! / Please Read And Let Me Know Wat U Think / I Want You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.