Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,242 members, 7,815,330 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

Cover Letter - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Cover Letter (1174 Views)

Funny Cover Letter Has Gone Viral On Wall Street / How To Write A Cover Letter / Cover Letter Or Motivation Letter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Cover Letter by perp(f): 5:10pm On Jun 21, 2012
pls what is a cover letter and how can it be written?
Re: Cover Letter by mycvclinic: 9:28am On Jun 22, 2012
Hi,

Have you googled? You'll be able to get many samples there.

A covering letter is a very important part of your application (Infact, I see it as the application).

Simply put, it's a BRIEF letter telling a recruiter why/how you are suitable/can handle the advertised job vacancy/position and why he should employ you.

You will find out that you may need to re-write your cover letter to apply for varying roles and ensure you capture whatever the recruiter may have advertised as duties/requirements on the advertised role.

On my covering letter I state my current role highlighting duties I perform that align with or require similar skills for performance on advertised role. I also mention how the advertised role aligns with my career plans and mention RELEVANT current and future professional trainings I plan to complete - in my opinion this helps to convince the recruiter that my application is different from the others because it is well planned out and I am invested in developing myself in a certain path. Obviously this shows that I'm not sending an application just because I need a job but because I have an interest in the job/role and also have what it takes to handle it.

A lot of people fail to tailor their covering letter to the specific application they're filling and just put that overused phrase "I will be an asset to your reputable organisation".

Your covering letter should tell a recruiter just exactly HOW you can be an asset.

All the best.

1 Like

Re: Cover Letter by nitrogen(m): 2:18pm On Jun 22, 2012
^^^ long time, welcome. @mycvclinic

(1) (Reply)

Best Professional Level Certification For IT Career In Nigeria And Beyond. / 40% Of U.K Graduates Without Graduate Jobs 2 Years After Graduation! / Trevial Of A New Wig; A Must Read For Budding Lawyers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.