Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,392 members, 7,815,834 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:12 PM

How To Write A Cover Letter - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Write A Cover Letter (7596 Views)

I Want To Write A Resignation Letter / How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? / A Cover Letter Secret That Guarantees You Will Get More Job Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Write A Cover Letter by Eokoro: 2:13pm On Dec 23, 2009
Although, cover letter adds to the wear and tear of job search, yet it gives you another chance to emphasize what you have to contribute to the company or Organization. Hey! Do not give the recruiter a second to entertain thoughts like: But how can this person help us? Though your resume can answer this question, it does so in a ‘rigid’ format. Whereas, the cover letter allows you to answer in your own words and style.

Your cover letter should contain not only your experience; it should also show how and what you can contribute towards the positive growth of the firm.

Example:
Weak: I have good knowledge of web programming and Application development.

Better: Due to my strong knowledge of web programming and Application Development, I will develop a better structured standard compliant, information system infrastructure which will make processing easier thereby saving work time and money.
The cover letter is the only place you can add what you can do for the firm (not just what you can do); exploit it!
Except where it is otherwise mentioned all applications should be submitted with a well written cover letter.
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by Focusmind: 6:19pm On Dec 23, 2009
Excellent!! Am sure most Nairlanders would ignore this post and would not take note. It is very important for one to package himself through cover letter. I am in UK, doin MSc, and have seen the importance of cover letter. Some people I applied for internship with were never called for interview, but because of my excellent cover letter, I always receive a follow up call and my colleaques have been asking me how, even some with far better result than me. One oil company recruiting for internship just sent a mail to me saying that they had received my application and found my application "highly interesting", and would like to call me for further discussion in January. My colleaque I applied with, who has a better result from U.S undergraduate university was not called.
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by popeben(m): 4:12pm On Jan 03, 2010
Hi Focusmind,

I must confess that im one of those who does not know the essence for a of a cover Letter. Is it usually attached with the Resume in the quest for a job?
To be honest, i don't know how it looks like,

I'm at the moment undertaking some trainings in Project Mgt and HSE.

I strongly believe the Cover Letter would be indispensable for someone like me.

I'll really appreciate if you'll give me the format or perhaps send me one via my email: benedictosibanjo@yahoo.com

Looking forward to your response,

Thanks
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by Focusmind: 11:05pm On Jan 03, 2010
It comes as a formal letter - this is where you tell the potential employer what you intend to contribute as an employee. This may not be possible for you to include in your cv. So the cover letter provides you the ample opportunity to express your passion for the job, your experience if any and any other important matter that is not reflected in your cv.
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by ayobase(m): 8:34am On Mar 22, 2012
Formal letter-like?
Pls,explain more!
Thanks.
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by panaroma: 5:48pm On Mar 23, 2012
At poster can you give a sample of a great cover letter when one is applying for a bank job...thanks
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by tshoboy(m): 9:41am On Mar 25, 2012
I also wnt d format of d Cover letter to knw hw it luks like.my mail @yahoo.com
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by bylolo: 7:15am On Oct 20, 2012
guys pls can any body help me wit sample of cover letter, tns. buharee1@gmail.com
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by joangirl: 12:02pm On Oct 20, 2012
Sample pls eizabeth60@yahoo.co.uk
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by zub(m): 7:02am On Oct 21, 2012
@poster. Can u plz send me a sample of cover letter to my inbox): zubbie04@gmail.com
thankz.
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by ozydy: 2:04pm On Oct 22, 2012
I also need a sample of hw 2 write a cover letter or wat a cover letter shld look like.
E-mail: ozydy4u@yahoo.com
Thanks
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by Boy2boy: 9:37pm On Oct 22, 2012
I'm interested too
laide0077@yahoo.com
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by lambalamb(m): 10:41am On Oct 23, 2012
sample plz, akinyemi_dave@yahoo.com
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by heywhytech1(m): 10:49am On Oct 23, 2012
Also interested, heywhyzo2007@yahoo.com
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by chiagozie1: 2:27pm On Oct 23, 2012
am intrested too-chiagozienwachukwu@gmail.com
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by burrytee(m): 7:48pm On Oct 23, 2012
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by babaokey(m): 12:30pm On Oct 24, 2012
Me too please okeyonyea@gmail.com
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by Mustay(m): 3:53pm On Oct 24, 2012
The deal is this - cover letters are like 'orally toasting' your prospective employers. It tells the prospective employer what you have done and what you can do. Sometimes, it can contain the former, but of course the latter (what you can do for the employer) is the 'koko'.

These days, we all send our CVs via e-mail as attachments but you can actually make the body of the e-mail the content of your letter. To be on the safe side, it is better to write a cover letter and attach it, then copy and paste it to the body of the email - in such a case, you're on the safe side as the company as a copy of the attachment even if they don't read the mail. Whether it is requested or not, some individuals send it along with their CV as a norm.

There are two cases I will address -

1. When you're applying for an already advertised job.
The title of the letter will be 'RE: VACANCY FOR SHOPKEEPER' for a hypothetical shopkeeper advert.

2. When you're sending an unsolicited application.
The title of the leeter will be 'APPLICATION FOR THE POSITION OF SHOPKEEPER'.

If you know the head of the company's HR, you can include such a person's name. If you're not sure, it doesn't take you much to pick up your phone and call them. Better still, this information can be on the company's website. For an advertised position, you already know who you're addressing.

To be on the safe side, ensure the content of the letter is brief - no dillydallying or super stories, it's straight to the point.

So, in this hypothetical case, let me fashion out a prototype -

6, Apo Junction,
Wada Plaza,
Abuja.

The Head of Human Resources,
206, Olusegun Obasanjo Drive,
Abeokuta.

Dear Ma,
RE: VACANCY FOR SHOPKEEPER

I write to you to indicate my interest in the position of shopkeeper as advertised on Thursday, October 12, 2012 on Page 12 of 234Next newspaper.

I have worked as a shop assistant to Messrs Big Joe for 2 years and learnt the procedures in organising and maintaining the daily activities of the store.

Aside meeting the qualifications and having worked previously as a shop assistant, my research on the organisation's objectives and values tally with my career ambitions and personal ethos respectively.

I look forward to your response.

Regards.

Yours faithfully,

(Sign)

Akpos Awilo.

A little English lesson here - when the recipient is unknown, we use Dear Sir/Ma + Yours faithfully as in this case. If the recipient's name is known, we use Dear Mr/Mrs Patience + Yours sincerely

So there you go, the first section of my letter revealed why am writing, the second revealed what I've done before and the last revealed why I feel I merit the job (or motivation) or why I should be considered.

Ensure you proof-read for mistakes.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by thankyouJesus(m): 12:09pm On Oct 01, 2014
Please sir, I need some guidelines on how to write a cover letter preferably with samples. Thank you as I anticipate you response. ayadifayowole@gmail.com
Focusmind: Excellent!! Am sure most Nairlanders would ignore this post and would not take note. It is very important for one to package himself through cover letter. I am in UK, doin MSc, and have seen the importance of cover letter. Some people I applied for internship with were never called for interview, but because of my excellent cover letter, I always receive a follow up call and my colleaques have been asking me how, even some with far better result than me. One oil company recruiting for internship just sent a mail to me saying that they had received my application and found my application "highly interesting", and would like to call me for further discussion in January. My colleaque I applied with, who has a better result from U.S undergraduate university was not called.
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by ruhls0: 6:31pm On May 19, 2015
@poster, please I also need a sample of a cover letter in order to draft one for myself, sahlahmy16@gmail.com. Thanks.
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by Nobody: 6:58pm On May 19, 2015
Pls, send sample to; eddyodoh@yahoo.com
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by Olalitehouse(m): 7:08pm On May 19, 2015
Noted...[i][/i]
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by felicity12: 12:07pm On Jul 23, 2018
Plz, I a guideline how to write an effective cover letter and CV . This is my email : ekyfeli@yahoo.com
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by kenness(m): 6:21pm On Jan 04, 2020
I need a sample too kennessobinwa2000@gmail.com
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by Bestnigeriabusi(m): 6:37am On Jan 02, 2021
We will be discussing a whole lot about cover letter. So what is  this document called cover letter? It is a letter that accompanies your résumé and introduces you and your qualification to your potential employer. In the cover letter, you should state the position your are applying for and why you are qualified for the job.

THE PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES OF A COVER LETTER

Everytime you sit down to write a cover letter, ask yourself the following questions: Why am I writing this letter? Believe it or not, your answer will certainly be same to ask for in an interview. Bottom line, there is no need to forward your résumé and cover letter other than to as for an interview.

https://www.recruitmentgurus.com.ng/cover-letter-writing-approach-and-formats/
Re: How To Write A Cover Letter by Blaurence: 3:19pm On Jan 02, 2021
If In need of a job as an accountant at a confectionery outlet and willing to start immediately, please reach out. The pay is about 50k and the job is around ikeja. You can send your CV to merudin211@gmail.com. No scam I promise.

(1) (Reply)

Federal Government SURE-P Graduate Internship Scheme 2012 / Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? / Be A Risk Management Professional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.