Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,582 members, 7,820,104 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar (5505 Views)

Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination / Another Bomb Blast In Maiduguri, Kills Four / Drama At NIMASA As Jauro Displaces Obi As Acting DG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by free2ryhme: 9:55am On Jun 22, 2012

Four persons have been confirmed dead while over 26, 000 people are displaced as a result of a windstorm that ravaged eight local government areas in the northern part of Cross River State

The storm that has raged throughout the week, destroyed property worth several millions of Naira as over 2,200 public and private houses, had their roofs either blown off or completely destroyed.

According to UNICEF’s Desk Officer, Mr. Anthony Unoh, and Programme Manager for State Emergency Management Agency, Akpotu-Adesi, the affected local government areas include Ikom, Obanliku, Bekwarra, Obudu, Yala, Ogoja, Odukpani and Boki.

Mr Unoh noted that the disaster has prompted the governor of the state, Mr Liyel Imoke, to invite the Director-General of National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), for necessary assistance to the victims.

Students in most of the affected secondary and primary schools are now studying under trees or shades.

The worst hit schools are the Secondary Commercial School, Kakwagom, St. Patrick’s Primary school, Kakwagom, and the Bawop Secondary School, all in Boki Local Government Area.

A community leader from Utugwang, Mr. Aliko David Mkpa, sttaed that he lost his house to the windstorm while his family has relocated to the neighboring community.”

Mr Mkpa pleaded for support saying “we need help from government and other donor agencies immediately, because it has become very difficult for us to even eat.”

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/06/22/windstorm-kills-four-in-calabar-displaces-26000/
Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by ibide(m): 11:16am On Jun 22, 2012
O God . When are going to here good news in nigeria ?
Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by scottN(m): 12:42pm On Jun 22, 2012
Pls change the topic title. Calabar is not in Northern Nigeria and its not even in d list of the affected areas. However its a sad development and I hope the proper government bodies come to their aid ASAP.

1 Like

Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by ibide(m): 12:43pm On Jun 22, 2012
What is the cause of this pool of tragedy in nigeria ?
Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by AtheistD(m): 12:48pm On Jun 22, 2012
ibide: What is the cause of this pool of tragedy in nigeria ?

Poor governance, corruption, gullible and deluded population, irrelevant diaspora.... You name it.
Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by Kakatazz(f): 12:52pm On Jun 22, 2012
scottN: Pls change the topic title. Calabar is not in Northern Nigeria and its not even in d list of the affected areas. However its a sad development and I hope the proper government bodies come to their aid ASAP.

They said Norther part of cross river.
Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by 47vidscom: 12:54pm On Jun 22, 2012
What a pity, Hope the FG helps them, but we all know they would not...47vids.com
Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by maninmood(m): 12:57pm On Jun 22, 2012
Atheist:-D:

Poor governance, corruption, gullible and deluded population, irrelevant diaspora.... You name it.

Your postulates is wrong. Irrespective of the factors you listed, windstorm may occur. It's a natural disaster.
My condolences to those affected.
Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by ochukoccna: 1:10pm On Jun 22, 2012
Seems meteorologists got it spot on that windstorms will ravage 9ja this year
Rain fell in my neighborhood 3 days back accompanied by a rainstorm which uprooted masts, house roofs and left the whole neighbourhood without public power supply since then.
My sympathies with those in Calabar knowing there are 'OYO' recalling NEMA's response to disasters. angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by Ournaija: 1:24pm On Jun 22, 2012
Animals (Boko Haram) and nature has joined our corrupt leaders politicians to tear this nation apart. undecided

No nation on earth has survived these three diseases. Common man dey suffer for this country. embarassed
Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by extension: 1:29pm On Jun 22, 2012
Nigeria, one week one trouble.Nawaoo
Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by ThinkRait: 1:34pm On Jun 22, 2012
The title of the thread is misleading.
Calabar does not equate to Cross River state. Infact the two Calabar LGAs are among the smallest (by land mass) in the state.
Calabar is at least 4 hours from some of the places mentioned.

The only close LGA is Odukpani.

The geography of Cross River state make it prone to natural disasters occasioned by heavy rainfall. Severe erosion, flooding and minor windstorms are common.

2 Likes

Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by Abagworo(m): 1:55pm On Jun 22, 2012
ThinkRait: The title of the thread is misleading.
Calabar does not equate to Cross River state. Infact the two Calabar LGAs are among the smallest (by land mass) in the state.

The geography of Cross River state make it prone to natural disasters occasioned by heavy rainfall. Severe erosion, flooding and minor windstorms are common.

Yeah From Calabar to those places is like travelling from Port Harcourt to Abakaliki.

1 Like

Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by jmaine: 2:26pm On Jun 22, 2012
ThinkRait: The title of the thread is misleading.

The misrepresentation is common to those not conversant with the Akwa-Cross Terrain . . . .Reminds me of a funny episode years back, when a customer care Manager in a bank embarassed himself in a vain loud attempt to correct me that Calabar was a State, and the info i furnished about where i initially opened my account was fake grin . . . .

I simply gave him a free education Just like you smiley
Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by jmaine: 2:32pm On Jun 22, 2012
Atheist:-D:

Sarcasm i guess undecided
Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by onyebaba(m): 3:39pm On Jun 22, 2012
Oh NOOOO.... Not again. dis disasters seems 2 b reoccuring yearly.. a deja vu kinda. We av lost properties worth billions 2 dis sorta catastrophe May God save us all.
Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by Reference(m): 3:45pm On Jun 22, 2012
jmaine:

The misrepresentation is common to those not conversant with the Akwa-Cross Terrain . . . .Reminds me of a funny episode years back, when a customer care Manager in a bank embarassed himself in a vain loud attempt to correct me that Calabar was a State, and the info i furnished about where i initially opened my account was fake grin . . . .

I simply gave him a free education Just like you smiley

Well technically he hasn't wondered too far. You can do five hours on the highway and still be in Cross-River with Calabar tucked away by the waterside and Boki, Obudu a mountain away.

When he said storms I wondered because you won't get any storms as far south as Calabar at this period in the season.
Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by slimming: 3:46pm On Jun 22, 2012
Great
Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by jimjones: 4:49pm On Jun 22, 2012
scottN: Pls change the topic title. Calabar is not in Northern Nigeria and its not even in d list of the affected areas. However its a sad development and I hope the proper government bodies come to their aid ASAP.

bros me sef tire o....extremely misleading topic. goes to show how retarded these moderators are.
Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by JojoArmani(m): 4:50pm On Jun 22, 2012
He said Northern part of calaber.

Eiyaaa so sorry for dos dat loss their lives and properties. Dis naija self every week wit ugly story. Na wa o o. God abeg hear de cry of ur children.
Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by jevic(m): 10:38pm On Jun 22, 2012
God please come to our aide.
Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by Enuels: 9:32am On Jun 23, 2012
free2ryhme:

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/06/22/windstorm-kills-four-in-calabar-displaces-26000/
I sincerely want to sympathize with everyone affected, I pray that God in His mercy will comfort & console each and everyone of you, Amen. Nuels
Re: Windstorm Kills Four & Displaces 26,000 In Calabar by ing4laif(m): 5:41pm On Jun 23, 2012
May God help us all, amen!

(1) (Reply)

Samsung To Locate Vocational Academy In Ogun / FG Inaugurates Panel To Recover Unremitted Revenues / Obasanjo Responds To Fayose.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.