Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,092 members, 7,818,277 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries (5424 Views)

Oil-rich Nigeria Now Can't Afford To Pay Teachers - Bloomberg / "Nigeria's Budget Is Intact With Clerk Of The House Of Reps." - Yakubu Dogara / Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by bigass(f): 6:15pm On Aug 21, 2013
NIGERIA: $27.87 billion -------- SOUTH AFRICA: $117.8 billion

GHANA: $14.13 billion

ALGERIA: $84.82 billion

ANGOLA: $44.23 billion

IVORY COAST: $6.062 billion

LIBYA: $35.07 billion

MOROCCO: $33.29 billion

ARGENTINA: $133.6 billion

BRAZIL: $822.1 billion

AUSTRALIA: $541 billion

CUBA: $50.45 billion

EGYPT: $77.69 billion

SINGAPORE :$43.44 billion

INDIA: $267.7 billion

IRAQ: $88.34 billion

ITALY: $1.034 trillion

SAUDI ARABIA: $234.8 billion

CHINA: $1.992 trillion

FRANCE: $1.48 trillion

GERMANY: $1.53 trillion

JAPAN: $2.591 trillion

USA: $3.538 trillion

SOME STATES IN USA

NEW YORK: $135.1 billion

TEXAS: $156.4 billion

CARLIFONIA: $232.9 billion

SOURCE: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2056.html
Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by Ikengawo: 6:20pm On Aug 21, 2013
I have been saying for years that nigeria's government revenue is next to nothing in comparison to the countries potential to make revenue from tax. All of these countries pay taxes and nigeria just waits for oil.

10 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by ba7man(m): 6:22pm On Aug 21, 2013
Speechless.....Damn!!! "Giant of mediocrity" we truely are.
Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by 2legit2qwt: 6:25pm On Aug 21, 2013
Half of the $27.87 billion is lost to corruption in all shapes and forms

We are up there in the list of consuming countries than producing. Everyone wants to have a piece of the national cake (oil) while countries like SA, Malaysia et al are exploring other avenues to increase their GDP. Giant of Africa my black azz

A nation breeding youths who wanna drive the latest car by cutting corners and using any means possible except being positively resourceful.

7 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by bigass(f): 6:27pm On Aug 21, 2013
2legit2qwt: Half of the $27.87 billion is lost to corruption in all shapes and forms
Exactly not even all these 28B is spent judiciously. i dey weep ooo
Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by emiye(m): 6:47pm On Aug 21, 2013
Nice one OP, although the population figures of each country will put it in better perspective.

A country like india with 1.2 billion human population and $268million budget is not too different from Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by solomon111(m): 6:50pm On Aug 21, 2013
Where are those apostles of "Nigeria is a rich country"?.
One lady was even comparing Nigeria with dubai.
Yes, Nigeria is rich in potential and natural endownments but not in hard cash.
For a country of 170million,Nigeria is poor.

3 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by solomon111(m): 6:53pm On Aug 21, 2013
emiye: Nice one OP, although the population figures of each country will put it in better perspective.

A country like india with 1.2 billion human population and $268million budget is not too different from Nigeria.
Well,the number of poor people in india alone is more than the poor in the african continent.
Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by bigass(f): 6:55pm On Aug 21, 2013
emiye: Nice one OP, although the population figures of each country will put it in better perspective.

What about Angola population 20 million budget 44billion

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by Caleboha(m): 6:59pm On Aug 21, 2013
Incredulous! Its hard to be hopeful but I don't have a better option! sad

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by KnowAll(m): 7:00pm On Aug 21, 2013
[size=16pt]Is this FG Budget OR a combination of FG and all the states I can't believe the Budget of Nigeria is only twice that of Ghana[/size]!!!! undecided
Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by emiye(m): 7:02pm On Aug 21, 2013
solomon111: Well,the number of poor people in india alone is more than the poor in the african continent.
Because the population of india is roughly the population of the african continent.

You are corroborating my stance, a budget pa capita shows it better
Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by bigass(f): 7:05pm On Aug 21, 2013
emiye:
Because the population of india is roughly the population of the african continent.

You are corroborating my stance, a budget pa capita shows it better

agreed but since we call ourselves the giant of Africa. our spending power is very important just 27Billion? when SA is 117 Angola of 20 million 44 Billion!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by solomon111(m): 7:07pm On Aug 21, 2013
The only way we can truely become rich is when we adopt TRUE FEDERALISM.
There is so much resources lying fallow.
Let every state or even a regional government fend for herself by developing and commercializing its area of comparative strength with payment of taxes to the FG.
This is the only way we can maximally utilize our huge resources and increase available funds.
The FG has done a bad job in exploring and utilizing our resources.

4 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by emiye(m): 7:08pm On Aug 21, 2013
bigass:

What about Angola population 20 million budget 44billion

Yes, it is better with the population. If you consider the poplatn of Nigeria (170 million), it shows how terrible and paltry Nigeria's budget is.

A man with 10 children to feed and earning 50,000 naira is poorer than a man with 2 children to feed and earning 30,000 naira.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by Nickydrake(m): 7:08pm On Aug 21, 2013
2legit2qwt: Half of the $27.87 billion is lost to corruption in all shapes and forms.

We are up there in the list of consuming countries than producing. Everyone wants to have a piece of the national cake (oil) while countries like SA, Malaysia et al are exploring other avenues to increase their GDP. Giant of Africa my black azz

A nation breeding youths who wanna drive the latest car by cutting corners and using any means possible except being positively resourceful.

I couldn't help but notice that some guy named Bill Gates is worth more than the budget of three West African countries combined. And that's the guy who has said, and indeed demonstrated by his incredibly lavish philanthropy, that the greater part of his wealth will go to charity, rather than his own progeny.

Nigerian leaders must be greatly puzzled by this man, for they, in stark contrast, do not see why a man should not grab desperately at as much wealth as he can, while he can.

The general trend among them is to amass enough money to last approximately five extremely luxurious lifetimes, even if they have to pillage and plunder the Nation's treasury to achieve that end.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by Arosa(m): 7:09pm On Aug 21, 2013
solomon111: Where are those apostles of "Nigeria is a rich country"?.
One lady was even comparing Nigeria with dubai.
Yes, Nigeria is rich in potential and natural endownments but not in hard cash.
For a country of 170million,Nigeria is poor.

Nigeria is indeed a poor country.
Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by emiye(m): 7:11pm On Aug 21, 2013
solomon111: The only way we can truely become rich is when we adopt TRUE FEDERALISM.
There is so much resources lying fallow.
Let every state or even a regional government fend for herself by developing and commercializing its area of comparative strength with payment of taxes to the FG.
This is the only way we can maximally utilize our huge resources and increase available funds.
The FG has done a bad job in exploring and utilizing our resources.

You are right on the true federalism !

I laugh in amusement when some people say Nigeria is rich based on its less than 5 trillion naira annual budget for 170 million souls.

Nigeria is rich in untapped natural resources and quantity of human resources.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by ba7man(m): 7:12pm On Aug 21, 2013
When we refuse to look beyond Oil.....I mean, what happened to the countless resources lying around the country and developing human resources??

Whoever is to rule this country needs a more agressive approach to moving this country ahead.

Tackle corruption, reduce the size of Government cabinets, reduce their pay packets, tackle oil theft, develop the exploitation of countless resources we have etc.

Anyone who isn't doing this while in power is as mediocre as that figure is compared to the rest.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by solomon111(m): 7:17pm On Aug 21, 2013
ba7man: When we refuse to look beyond Oil.....I mean, what happened to the countless resources lying around the country and developing human resources??

Whoever is to rule this country needs a more agressive approach to moving this country ahead.

Tackle corruption, reduce the size of Government cabinets, reduce their pay packets, tackle oil theft, develop the exploitation of countless resources we have etc.

Anyone who isn't doing this while in power is a mediocre as that figure is compared to the rest.
The amount of solid minerals in the North is enough to turn them to dubai,yet they keep fixating on oil.
Fight for true federalism and minimization of corruption,and your quality of life will surpass Norway.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by ba7man(m): 7:19pm On Aug 21, 2013
solomon111: The amount of solid minerals in the North is enough to turn them to dubai,yet they keep fixating on oil.
Fight for true federalism and minimization of corruption,and your quality of life will surpass Norway.
You're right. Its the way forward.

I just wonder why those high up in power shy away from it.
Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by emiye(m): 7:20pm On Aug 21, 2013
ba7man: When we refuse to look beyond Oil.....I mean, what happened to the countless resources lying around the country and developing human resources??

Anyone who isn't doing this while in power is as mediocre as that figure is compared to the rest.

We still have mediocres at the centre, any government who doesnt focus heavily on increasing the revenue to the nation and fixing leakages is a joker
Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by Arosa(m): 7:20pm On Aug 21, 2013
@topic, I think it's proper for me to note that some of this nation with higher budget than Nigeria get funds from outside source to service their budget eg Egypt Ghana etc.
Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by mrakin(m): 7:20pm On Aug 21, 2013
Why not add all the states' budgets so that we can cover our shame a little.
Na wa o. Our oil money nko?
Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by solomon111(m): 7:23pm On Aug 21, 2013
Ondo state has the highest deposit of bitumen in the world which when effectively commercialized and utilized can turn the SW into qatar.
Enugu has one of the largest deposits of coal in the world which is enough to power the entire SE and SS for 24 hours daily and even exported.
Smh for this country.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by bigass(f): 7:24pm On Aug 21, 2013
Arosa: @topic, I think it's proper for me to note that some of this nation with higher budget than Nigeria get funds from outside source to service their budget eg Egypt Ghana etc.

so? but it doesn't negate that we have a long way to go
Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by emiye(m): 7:28pm On Aug 21, 2013
bigass:

We have not even started yet.

Nigeria is currently fixing the effects of its problem and have left the cause
Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by Arosa(m): 7:30pm On Aug 21, 2013
bigass:

True! however I think Nigeria is trying hard to avoid fiscal deficit, that is why our budget is so low at the moment. undecided
Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by KnowAll(m): 7:30pm On Aug 21, 2013
A quote from Eko Ile in the Akwa Ibom Thread, from all indications considering if this quoatation is right Akwa Ibom alone and just one state in Nigeria has a budget of rougly $4 billion dollars while Lagos has just over $2 Billion thereby given both states a total budget of $6 billion dollars, $27 billion dollars cannot possibly be the total budget of Nigeria including all states when 2 states already accounts for a 1/4 of the budget.

Eko Ile:

My ignorant friend, you are very wrong. Akwa Ibom has the largest budget in Nigeria and less infrastructure and service delivery.

Akwa Ibom's budget for 2012 was 407 Billion plus 2 supplemental budgets for 100 Billion and 125 Billion = 632 Billion which remains the highest in the history of Nigeria for 1 single year.

Lagos state's budget for 2012 was 485 Billion
Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by omenka(m): 7:31pm On Aug 21, 2013
Imagine the pittance, yet we operate a bicameral system and have over 40 ministers with their respective retinue of aides, assistants and advisers!!!

Sick country with sick leaders!!
Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by NavierStokes(m): 7:40pm On Aug 21, 2013
http://www.salon.com/2012/09/28/nine_terrifying_facts_about_americas_biggest_police_force/
Budget of the New York Police department for fiscal year 2013, OP i had this discussion some time ago with my friends, letting them know how far we still have to go as a country but then they would always say the country is very rich. Of a truth Nigeria as a country is one that can be called "potentially richest" considering all her endowments (human and material) but at the end of the day the Hydra headed monster called corruption presents it self through visionless leaders and we remain relegated to the background.
Re: Is Nigeria Really Rich? Nigeria's Budget Compared With Some Other Countries by takedat(m): 7:46pm On Aug 21, 2013
In 2012, the FIRS generated N5trillion or almost $32billion.
http://resourcedat.com/2013/01/break-down-of-total-tax-revenue-generated-by-nigeria-in-2012/

And, we made close to N15trillion or almost $93billion from crude oil export in 2012. Our crude oil earnings hit N6.2trillion for the first half of 2013.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/business-news/128407-nigerias-crude-oil-earnings-hit-n67-trillion-in-first-half-of-2013

The federal budget for 2012 was N4.87trillion, and another N180billion as supplementary. The total budget for 2012 stood at N5.05trillion or $32billion and not $27billion as quoted. We are not sure if the figures quoted for other countries is just for a single federating unit or its the total budget for all the federating units in each country.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Really Happened To Clement Yildar And Dauda Usman? Are They Still Missing? / Join The Anti-biafra Protest. / See Population Why North Will Rule Nigeria For 200yrs Uninterrupted- Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.