Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,808 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (709) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4406267 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (706) (707) (708) (709) (710) (711) (712) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ajuwarhodes(f): 5:56am On Nov 09, 2016
olatebony:
New product alert!!!
Baby fruit feeder now available and selling faaasstt.....
Have you always tried getting your LO occuppied while you do some chores or drive? The solution is here. Chop some slices of fruit into the fruit feeder and hand over to baby to feed. The rattle handle that makes sound also distracts baby to play. This is 100%preferable to pacifier that feeds babies with nothing.
It's just 1k

Pls how can I get this?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Jennykoko3009(f): 9:36am On Nov 09, 2016
Good morning great mothers in the house, pls when can a baby start taking medication/drugs for teething?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sugah: 10:07am On Nov 09, 2016
Good morning mamas.

Please when is the new batch of books for Lagos or port Harcourt coming up? I need books (nursery rhymes, playbook etc) for my less than 1yr old son.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Godmother(f): 10:42am On Nov 09, 2016
zionx:

I dread sore nipples so much. I was shedding tears like a baby during mine. MIL keeps telling me to keep breastfeeding lo that it will get healed through that.I bought avent moisturizing nipple cream. I also bought avent electric breast pump cos I just wanted the pain to go and the funniest part is I didn't even use it cos it wouldn't bring any milk out (maybe I wasn't pumping the right way). I didn't even know when the sore tips stopped. May God bless all mothers.

I saw this on the net...How to prevent and treat sore nipples
Try these ideas for preventing nipple soreness and solving the problem if it does happen.

1. Let your baby self-latch
Humans, like the newborns of other mammals, have innate breastfeeding abilities and are capable of finding the breast and latching on well with only minimal help from the mother. (Some medications and interventions in labour and birth may make this more difficult for some babies in the first hours and days after birth.) If the mother gets into a comfortable, semi-reclining position and puts the baby tummy-down on her body (gravity will help keep him there, but mom can use her hands to provide some support if needed), with the baby’s head near her breasts, the baby will orient himself by bobbing his head, and move towards the breast to latch on. This can take time, but usually
results in an effective, pain-free latch.

2. Use good positioning if you need to help the baby. Some babies (for example, those who were exposed to medications during labour and birth) may have difficulty in self-attaching. If you are breastfeeding sitting up, be sure your baby is tucked in close to you, tummy to tummy, and that your supporting hand or arm is placed behind her shoulders, not her head, so that she can tip her head back and bring the chin into the breast first. Your nipple should be pointed towards her nose, so that as she opens wide and tips her head back, it will be in the perfect place to slide deeply into her mouth, aimed at the roof of her mouth.

3. Adjust without unlatching
If your baby latches on, and it hurts, you know something is wrong. Sometimes mothers are advised to stick a finger in the baby’s mouth, unlatch him, and start over. The problem with this approach is that it is very frustrating for the baby: every time he starts nursing, he's taken off the breast. Some get so frustrated they refuse to nurse, or begin clamping down on the nipple. It also puts you at the risk of more nipple damage if the baby latches on incorrectly repeatedly. Instead, try first to adjust the baby's position while he’s nursing, so that the rest of the feeding can be more comfortable.

4. Watch for early hunger cues
Mothers with sore nipples often want to space feedings out as long as possible, and that’s definitely understandable! If something causes you pain, you want to do it infrequently. However, a very hungry baby isn’t going to have much patience, and may try to grab at your nipple, causing more pain. Feeding the baby as soon as he seems hungry will make it easier to work on getting a good latch every time.

5. Remember that not all sore nipples are caused by latch problems (although the majority are) Some other possible causes: thrush (a yeast infection on the skin of the nipple, which can also be inside the baby’s mouth); a bacterial infection on the nipple or in the milk ducts; a nipple bleb, which looks like a tiny white blister on the end of the nipple; Raynaud's syndrome, which is a condition where the nipple turns white after a feeding and hurts as the blood flows back in. If you suspect any of these (or some other issue) might be the problem, check with your doctor or a
lactation consultant for treatment recommendations.

6. Check for tongue-tie in baby
A baby with a tongue-tie isn’t able to lift his tongue or move it forward normally and this means she can’t use it to help extract milk from the breast. Instead the baby will push the nipple up with her tongue, pressing it against her hard palate as she sucks and often causing a lot of pain and damage. Look to see if your baby sticks her tongue out past her bottom lip and if she lifts her tongue to the roof of her mouth when crying. If she seems unable to make these movements, consult with your doctor. A medical professional can clip the membrane that restricts the tongue’s movement, which can make a big difference.

7. Use nipple shields cautiously, if at all
Nipple shields are often recommended to protect sore nipples during feedings, but they can sometimes cause more problems than they solve. Nipple shields look like bottle nipples made out of very thin silicone and are placed over the mother’s nipples before the baby latches on. However, often the baby doesn’t latch well onto the shield, the nipple continues to be damaged and the different shape and feel may lead to the baby having difficulty in breastfeeding without it. If other things haven’t worked, though, it may be worth giving it a try with the help of a lactation consultant.

8. Use your milk to heal cracked, bleeding or blistered nipples
Express a little milk onto the nipple and let it air-dry there. Be cautious about using lanolin or other creams; if you do have some thrush present, these creams can encourage it to grow. A prescription ointment (such as Dr. Jack Newman’s All-Purpose Nipple Ointment) with ingredients to fight bacterial and yeast infections can help you heal as well. You can also take over-the-counter painkillers. Another option is to apply an ice pack just before you feed the baby to temporarily numb the nipple as you latch the baby on. One piece of good news:breastfeeding nipples generally heal very quickly once the cause of the damage (such as a latch problem) is resolved.

9. Air those nipples out
If your nipples are sore and damaged, you may find that anything touching them makes them hurt even more. You can use breast shells (donut shaped plastic items with a dome top; you put your nipple in the middle of the donut hole and the dome protects it from contact) to protect them from being touched by your bra. As much as possible, expose the nipples to the air so they will stay dry and heal.

10. Seek out help!
Many people think it’s normal for breastfeeding to be painful, at least in the beginning. It’s not. If these tips haven’t helped you resolve the problem, seek out a breastfeeding expert who can look at your particular situation and give you some suggestions. Often a mother with sore nipples will have more than one problem (for example, you may have started off with a poor latch, developed a bacterial infection, and have Raynaud’s syndrome as well, triggered by the trauma to the nipple) so you may have to work through each one before the feedings become pain-free.

This is so on point. I think my own sore tips was caused by my baby not latching well. She's improved now and the pain is beginning to subside.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by dtush(f): 10:45am On Nov 09, 2016
helovesme:
All these talk on nannies and all their wahala/drama, why aren't mothers considering good crèches/daycares/nurseries ? undecided

I'm so not in favour of leaving my child alone with any nanny.

My son goes to a nursery (expensive sha but worth it). Staff ratio is 3 kids to 1 adult. Maximum number of kids in the room is 9. Kids are grouped in each room based on their age so you do not have for example a 3 year old is the same room meant for a baby or 2 year old. Breakfast, snacks, fruit, cow milk and lunch are provided and all I have to bring in is one meal a day. Nappies and wipes are also provided.

If I was in Lagos or any part of nigeria, I would definitely consider a crèche and if I need help with housework, I would rather have someone come on a Saturday or Sunday, do whatever chores and leave.

All you have said is valid, but for some of us, there are a lot of factors to consider.

1. My resumption is 7:30, i stay on the mainland and work in VI. What time do i wake her up, and drop her in school?

2. My closing time is unpredictable, i wont even thinking of leaving a one year old in school till 10pm

Weekends, we are always togeda, but sometimes i have to go to the market or need quiet time to read for my exams so i can better our lives.

I wish it was really as easy as you explained. Mesef tire for the whole nanny drama

7 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 11:20am On Nov 09, 2016
Jennykoko3009:
Good morning great mothers in the house, pls when can a baby start taking medication/drugs for teething?
I learnt from this thread that there is really no need to give baby any medications for teething. One can give paracetamol syrup if the baby is running temperature though when teething. Other mamas will also contribute cos I'm still a learner also.

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sayoddy(f): 11:33am On Nov 09, 2016
barak4real:

From my own experience, how old is ur DS, u can be putting breast milk in the eyes regularly it shd clear off after some days... That is what I use when my dad had it when she was 2 weeks.. Hth
Thanks, he's 7months plus. Have Google the breastmilk method and many sites support it. So I use warm warm to clean the discharge and a drop of breastmilk at the eye corner. It's clearing up gradually but mine is not.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sugah: 11:52am On Nov 09, 2016
helovesme:
All these talk on nannies and all their wahala/drama, why aren't mothers considering good crèches/daycares/nurseries ? undecided

I'm so not in favour of leaving my child alone with any nanny.

My son goes to a nursery (expensive sha but worth it). Staff ratio is 3 kids to 1 adult. Maximum number of kids in the room is 9. Kids are grouped in each room based on their age so you do not have for example a 3 year old is the same room meant for a baby or 2 year old. Breakfast, snacks, fruit, cow milk and lunch are provided and all I have to bring in is one meal a day. Nappies and wipes are also provided.
If I was in Lagos or any part of nigeria I would definitely consider a crèche and if I need help with housework, I would rather have someone come on a Saturday or Sunday, do whatever chores and leave.
If I remember correctly you live in UK, right? If I lived abroad where things work I would also go the daycare route.

But everyone's circumstance is different.
I work in a different state than I live. In fact I'm just being transferred to a different base from my last base I worked and I have zero family based there except 1 female friend/colleague.
When I do resume work, I'd arrive the city a day before and start working the next day. Leaves me no time to start looking for a creche/daycare
Then I leave for work at 6am and don't get home till about 6 or 7pm
I work any day of the week including sundays and public holidays
With our naija lackadaisical attitude to work, I wouldn't want to expose my 3month old baby to a daycare. Iv heard of stories where kids show up with infectious diseases.

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Jennykoko3009(f): 11:58am On Nov 09, 2016
zionx:

I learnt from this thread that there is really no need to give baby any medications for teething. One can give paracetamol syrup if the baby is running temperature though when teething. Other mamas will also contribute cos I'm still a learner also.

Alright thanks for your response

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by christybabe(f): 1:26pm On Nov 09, 2016
UmmTwins2:
my son wl be 13 months on Thursday n AF is still on leave....i'm nt complaining wink smiley i'm guessing she'll only be back after I wean. It Ws that way for my mum too; AF resumes immediately she weans n she wld conceive that same month if she didn't play safe lipsrsealed n I wldnt mind that style either lipsrsealed cheesy

Lucky you, My baby will be 4 months on 14, AF just started yesterday, I was so angry eh when It came out, but what will I do Na, our body system differs

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 1:53pm On Nov 09, 2016
https://www.nairaland.com/3453568/two-nairalanders-set-wed
You are all invited to my younger sister's wedding.
Pls, pray along with us.
Any mama in Ado-Ekiti should kindly grace the occasion.

7 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by olatebony(f): 2:16pm On Nov 09, 2016
ajuwarhodes:

Pls how can I get this?
I can send to u with d ori na
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by favouredon(f): 2:25pm On Nov 09, 2016
Good afternoon super moms in d house. Please I have a 5months old baby that wakes up everytime like a new born baby. D maximum hrs he sleeps at nite is 2.30mins. But when he wakes up, after sucking he falls back asleep almost immediately. But the thing is really draining me. I am the type that finds it difficult to fall back to sleep and I have to wake up d next morning as early as 4am to prepare for work. Please is this normal? Is there any other person going thru d same thing with her baby? is there any solution to this problem? Someone pls help before I run mad from lack of sleep. Thank u
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by feddy27: 2:37pm On Nov 09, 2016
babylove01:

Yes cord fell off 8 days after, I think it has healed outwardly. She doesn't reach to suggest she's in pain or anything. When she's not active the navel looks collapsed in a way. Could it be gas??

Teamie! Nothing to worry about smiley she has a big navel, that all. Same thing with my son and he's perfectly ok.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Coldfeet(f): 3:27pm On Nov 09, 2016
comtem2011:
https://www.nairaland.com/3453568/two-nairalanders-set-wed

You are all invited to my younger sister's wedding.

Pls, pray along with us.

Any mama in Ado-Ekiti should kindly grace the occasion.
Congrats to her, are you the elder sister pictured in red during the introduction? Cute family you have dear. May God make her day and marriage blissful in Jesus name amen.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 3:34pm On Nov 09, 2016
Coldfeet:
Congrats to her, are you the elder sister pictured in red during the introduction? Cute family you have dear. May God make her day and marriage blissful in Jesus name amen.
That's the one that followed me. I was the one in Teal green with red headgear @ d background( courtesy of over busy with baby during photo session).

Thanks ma and amen to the prayer.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 3:36pm On Nov 09, 2016
UmmTwins2:

I stay at Jikwoyi. I guess there r 3 of us yet, hopefully we can get 2 mums more so the t-fare won't be much.....n we can order on time.
Cc: Comtem2011
I think we can order for 30 books.

Same t-fare.

kidco, come in pls!

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Coldfeet(f): 4:20pm On Nov 09, 2016
comtem2011:
That's the one that followed me. I was the one in Teal green with red headgear @ d background( courtesy of over busy with baby during photo session).

Thanks ma and amen to the prayer.
I sight you congrats to her once more! Beautiful smile shes got smiley
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by JUMAYIN(f): 5:09pm On Nov 09, 2016
Good afternoon mamas, my baby is scheduled to be circumcised tomorrow, av bn anxious.... How many days does it take for it to get healed completely or when to start feeling relieved.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 5:45pm On Nov 09, 2016
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 6:14pm On Nov 09, 2016
Finally we r sixmonths today yaaaayyyyyy
So we went for vitamin A.

I gave her water den banana.u nid to see her face.like whadda hell did u give me mama.hahahahahaha
I bought frisogold rice based cereal and frisolac gold milk formula.4,
While reading it at home discovered u dont have to add milk again.mamas that used frisogold rice cereal is it true?? Any implication of adding extra milk even if na one scoop.

Thinking of grinding quaker oats tomorrow to make cereal.can i ad d apple to d oats.

Mitchyy how far na my soya mixture abeg pm me na biko.God bless

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 6:35pm On Nov 09, 2016
zionx:

Congratulations to her Ma. She is very beautiful. May God bless her marriage.
Thanks ma, she is mama's carbon copy.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 6:37pm On Nov 09, 2016
rofemiguwa:
So we went for vitamin A.

I gave her water den banana.u nid to see her face.like whadda hell did u give me mama.hahahahahaha
I bought frisogold rice based cereal and frisolac gold milk formula.4,
While reading it at home discovered u dont have to add milk again.mamas that used frisogold rice cereal is it true?? Any implication of adding extra milk even if na one scoop.

Thinking of grinding quaker oats tomorrow to make cereal.can i ad d apple to d oats.

Mitchy.y how far na my soya mixture abeg pm me na biko.God bless

We took frisogold wheat cereal, no extra milk added.

ur baby is very beautiful!

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 6:39pm On Nov 09, 2016
JUMAYIN:
Good afternoon mamas, my baby is scheduled to be circumcised tomorrow, av bn anxious.... How many days does it take for it to get healed completely or when to start feeling relieved.
Don't panic, penicillin will do its work within one week if u apply it religiously.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 6:40pm On Nov 09, 2016
Coldfeet:
I sight you congrats to her once more! Beautiful smile shes got smiley
Thanks ma.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by eolowu1(f): 6:42pm On Nov 09, 2016
gud evening mothers in d house hw was our day. I jst wanna suggest dat if we can select a day to display our pictures ( mother& child) since we av Fridays to be threadbabies we can also do dis atleast we can get to no one anoda on dis thread

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by lawvlypearl(f): 7:03pm On Nov 09, 2016
Happy 6 months birthday pristine love. Gods hand of protection won't depart from you... We follow suit in few weeks! Cc Rofemiguwa.
Pls how do I send you a pm ?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 7:13pm On Nov 09, 2016
favouredon:
Good afternoon super moms in d house. Please I have a 5months old baby that wakes up everytime like a new born baby. D maximum hrs he sleeps at nite is 2.30mins. But when he wakes up, after sucking he falls back asleep almost immediately. But the thing is really draining me. I am the type that finds it difficult to fall back to sleep and I have to wake up d next morning as early as 4am to prepare for work. Please is this normal? Is there any other person going thru d same thing with her baby? is there any solution to this problem? Someone pls help before I run mad from lack of sleep. Thank u
I don't think there is anything you can do about it, experienced same as yours. You just have to adapt!
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sugah: 7:37pm On Nov 09, 2016
favouredon:
Do you have a help or someone living with you that can feed him at night? If yes, get a breastpump and express milk to be fed to him at night.

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sugah: 7:39pm On Nov 09, 2016
rofemiguwa:
Pristine is adorable kiss

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 8:52pm On Nov 09, 2016
rofemiguwa..no nid to add milk na..princess pristine is beautifullllllllll..weldone mama.

contem2011...oooohhh..i wish am in ekiti to attend joor,may d blessings of God be upon tge union..are u frm ado?grin
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Jennifer89(f): 9:05pm On Nov 09, 2016
JUMAYIN:

;d just the way I felt when my ds was about to be circumcised.

After the circumcision my pediatrician gave me paracetamol to give him for 3 days.

I was told i can bath him normally and also wear him diaper.

the nurse warned not to apply anything until the ring fall off.

It fell after 5 days then I began to apply penicillin after his bath and whenever I change his diaper.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (706) (707) (708) (709) (710) (711) (712) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.