Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,576 members, 7,823,500 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (777) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4412040 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (774) (775) (776) (777) (778) (779) (780) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 1:32pm On Dec 22, 2016
Thanks everyone for their answers.

Choking is a massive risk, especially once a baby either starts solids or can crawl about pick things up and put in their mouths. and if we as parents start force feeding them, we increase that risk, exponentially! so as force feeding seems to have been discussed to varying degrees recently i think it is good for us to address the issue and improve ourselves.

ST John's ambulance service defines it as:
Choking is when your airway gets blocked and you can't breathe properly. When someone chokes, the airway can either be partly or fully blocked. If it's a mild blockage, they should be able to clear it themselves by coughing.

it could be as a result of and object either too big for the throat and gets stuck or it going the wrong way and entering your airway.
so tapping gently, lovingly rubbing the back, throwing child up in the air, blowing air, using salt, putting your fingers in the mouth, pouring water over head, or sitting the child upright and even speaking in tongues is not going to help anyone in this is situation and could very well make the situation worse.

The aim should be to GET THE OBJECT OUT as soon as possible, using a good amount of force and gravity to help you out and we need to get that child breathing as soon as possible. if the child can cough its usually a good sign, however if the child is very tense, mouth open, eyes wide and no sound is coming out of the mouth, you need to go into DEFCON 5!

Below are a few links to help us do what needs to be done and do it correctly. if you are only slapping the back and not doing it correctly, its will not be effective.

http://www.redcross.org.uk/What-we-do/First-aid/Baby-and-Child-First-Aid/Choking-baby?gclid=Cj0KEQiAkO7CBRDeqJ_ahuiPrtEBEiQAbYupJbCOExSaw4K43BGoD451j0HYYERAQ9cKT9gWUYclcssaAjjN8P8HAQ

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/2300.aspx?categoryid=72

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/helping-choking-baby.aspx

http://www.babycenter.com/0_infant-first-aid-for-choking-and-cpr-an-illustrated-guide_9298.bc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4uS5EmpeEs

ALso if you ever find yourself in this situation and you successfully dislodge the item from the baby/ child's throat, please take them to see a doctor afterwards.... sometimes the force of the slab or tap needed to remove the food can also break a rib or cause other injury like internal bruising of the organs. so please make sure they are checked over by a competent doctor and given the all clear.

also check for the British red cross baby and child first aid app for your phones, there is an adult first aid app as well. please get your husbands, wives or partners who are not part of this thread to read and watch. it may also be worth checking with your nursery and creche providers if they have a first aid training and what their emergency reactions are to things like choking, and kids fainting, not breathing etc.

i know it can be frustrating trying to feed a child, but the only thing i will personally force my child to take is medication, and if it is prescribed kind, like antibiotics that she JUST HAS TO TAKE, and at a certain time. if it is paracetamol......i wont bother if the fight is too much.

i Pray no one ever has to be in this situation but if anyone is unfortunate enough to find themselves in it, having the right knowledge can save a child's life, it may not be your child, however i know i will be eternally grateful, if the quick thinking and action of anyone even a total stranger will save the life of any of my loved ones.

19 Likes 17 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 1:57pm On Dec 22, 2016
Alphahandmaiden, I am expecting my Chocomilo for getting the answer correct cool
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 2:24pm On Dec 22, 2016
Onegai:
Alphahandmaiden, I am expecting my Chocomilo for getting the answer correct cool

1/2 point out of a posible 5, you failed to show your full working with angle of inclination of the child as well as velocity of your palm and the force/area that ti used in hitting the child......
you only get the chocomilo wrapper..... tongue

7 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 4:02pm On Dec 22, 2016
rezzy:

Nobody knows Luth?

Make I kukuma edit am.

Una weldone
sorry ma, I don't reside in Lagos! I wonder why d question was not attended to for the past 3 days.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 4:07pm On Dec 22, 2016
mummykyrti:
true, dint work 4 my sil, her child is 8mnths and she's 4months pregnant, she had to forcefully stop the baby breast
she can continue breastfeeding. one of our mama here did it successfully.

cc: feddy27

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 4:12pm On Dec 22, 2016
enque:
Hello Mamas,

Speaking of force feeding...I have a question.
For newborns who tend to sleep a lot, such that you have to wake them up say every 3 hours to feed..
Does that fall under force feeding??
No!
Force feeding is when baby doesn't want to accept and you are trying by all means to make sure she/he thereby forcing the food into his/her mouth. Especially, all these our traditional method of feeding baby (lying baby on the lap and pouring akamu into baby's mouth via our hand). This causes a lot of casualty.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by enque(f): 4:14pm On Dec 22, 2016
Thanks

comtem2011:
No!
Force feeding is when baby doesn't want to accept and you are trying by all means to make sure she/he thereby forcing the food into his/her mouth. Especially, all these our traditional method of feeding baby (lying baby on the lap and pouring akamu into baby's mouth via our hand). This causes a lot of casualty.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 4:24pm On Dec 22, 2016
Deleted
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Oasoremi: 4:24pm On Dec 22, 2016
Hello, we're at BG supermart and can only see Dove sensitive skin soap for #470. Is it same with 'pure and sensitive'. Can i buy the 'sensitive skin' in place of 'pure and sensitive? Urgent response pls

Pretimum so sorry for ur loss.may God grant ur family the strength to bear the loss.

All mamas asking for dove pure and sensitive soap for those in lagos mainland.
BG at leventis bustop by army barracks just restocked .it is 550 a bar anyways.
Also goodies supermarket by abule have restocked too 590 a bar.

So u can check it out.[/quote]
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babythug(f): 4:52pm On Dec 22, 2016
MizMyColi:

Discontinue whatever activity that started the choking then start rubbing/slightly tapping (beating) her back.

Alphahandmaiden please accept this as my answer too lol

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Doynb(f): 5:01pm On Dec 22, 2016
AlphaHandMaiden:

Assuming you are alone and a baby is choking, what do you do, also assuming no one is there to help? [/size][/b]

Its certain I'll be scared,carry the baby and start begging d child not to scare whlie trying to rub her back leaning her forward and asking God to bring whatever is in out and save my child
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by mummykyrti(f): 5:01pm On Dec 22, 2016
comtem2011:
she can continue breastfeeding. one of our mama here did it successfully.

cc: feddy27
yap I told her same when I heard, that d stimulation is also good
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Florena(f): 5:41pm On Dec 22, 2016
my 5 weeks old as not pooped for 8days now.
I know exclusively breastfed babies can go 5days but is this not too much!

though he urinates and fart well, (those type of continuous farting grin)
I've taken fruits, I massage his tommy with warm water, I've also drip warm water in his anus. he does not seem to be in pain too

what else can I do?

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by UmmTwins2: 5:59pm On Dec 22, 2016
@dexterush sorry abt ur aunt's baby. May God be with d family. It's well
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 6:04pm On Dec 22, 2016
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by iomoge2(f): 6:32pm On Dec 22, 2016
Twogreatnations:
@ dexterush, pls accept my condolences. May God comfort the grieving mother.

@ Alphamaiden, I would tilt the head forward and rub the back of the baby.

@ rofemginwa, thanks dear. I got the soap at the place you described.

@ iomoge2, pls where did you buy the Bells zinc and Castor oil cream? What I saw was this

Please any reviews on the two products?

From balogun market o.
I also saw it at a shop near my house.... TenderTummies

I think she sells on konga.
And its lanolin free
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by happymama: 6:58pm On Dec 22, 2016
[quote author=UmmTwins2 post=52159878]Mamas pls help with suggestions for healthy snacks n drinks for toddler to distract my son frm daytime nursing; i'm an SAHM so we'r always together. Thanks in advance.
Mamas help us o,i av also bn thinkin of au 2distract him in d 9t,i av nt givn him suck since moni,i av bn hiding,he ddnt see me so he is nt botherd...
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Coldfeet(f): 8:04pm On Dec 22, 2016
Florena:

I've taken fruits, I massage his tommy with warm water, I've also drip warm water in his anus. he does not seem to be in pain too

what else can I do?
Try applying menthol dipped cotton bud in and around his anal hole! it works like magic.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ijeoma2728(f): 8:07pm On Dec 22, 2016
LadyPrecy:
i will hold the baby by the armpit and trow baby up.

I'll sit him up and rub his back.
Kia! Don't want to imagine it biko.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Twogreatnations: 8:15pm On Dec 22, 2016
iomoge2:

From balogun market o.
I also saw it at a shop near my house.... TenderTummies

I think she sells on konga.
And its lanolin free

Alright, thanks ma.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Twogreatnations: 8:18pm On Dec 22, 2016
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by dexterush(f): 8:42pm On Dec 22, 2016
Thanks all for condolence ,I pray God gives her mum the strength to carry on.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by kidco: 8:56pm On Dec 22, 2016
I hit Raymond
hit him in a way that the hitting seems like caressing him from waist up
today i thank God...
I learn that from no one
purely instictual
O God
AlphaHandMaiden:
Dexterush so for the loss of that child. Very sad when it can be preventable.

I will put a question to mamas and papas here generally, please answer with the first thing that comes to your head... no googling, dont ask anyone around you. There is no right or wrong answer. Shouting "blood of Jesus" is an ok answer to put as well.

Assuming you are alone and a baby is choking, what do you do, also assuming no one is there to help?

Cc: tojued, zaynie, rofemiguwa, Onegai, comtem2011, jennykoko3009, FINA4804, kidco, pheesayor, jamjam5000, ijeoma2728, bellaella, brittanystacy, babythug and all others in the house

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 9:30pm On Dec 22, 2016
Oasoremi:
Hello, we're at BG supermart and can only see Dove sensitive skin soap for #470. Is it same with 'pure and sensitive'. Can i buy the 'sensitive skin' in place of 'pure and sensitive? Urgent response pls

Pretimum so sorry for ur loss.may God grant ur family the strength to bear the loss.

All mamas asking for dove pure and sensitive soap for those in lagos mainland.
BG at leventis bustop by army barracks just restocked .it is 550 a bar anyways.
Also goodies supermarket by abule have restocked too 590 a bar.

So u can check it out.
Jus saw this.yes hope u bought!
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 9:33pm On Dec 22, 2016
AlphaHandMaiden:

1/2 point out of a posible 5, you failed to show your full working with angle of inclination of the child as well as velocity of your palm and the force/area that ti used in hitting the child......
you only get the chocomilo wrapper..... tongue
chai i came late and i sabi the ans before.hehehehe
See how i miss chocomilo chai!!

Onmore serious note saw this on facebook.i jus shared as a means of saving it.i never had time to go look again.
Thank u for teaching us maam

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by roseval(f): 9:39pm On Dec 22, 2016
Florena:

what else can I do?
if u have baby pump, u can use it to pump his stomach with warm water

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rezzy: 9:42pm On Dec 22, 2016
AlphaHandMaiden:
Dexterush so for the loss of that child. Very sad when it can be preventable.

I will put a question to mamas and papas here generally, please answer with the first thing that comes to your head... no googling, dont ask anyone around you. There is no right or wrong answer. Shouting "blood of Jesus" is an ok answer to put as well.

Assuming you are alone and a baby is choking, what do you do, also assuming no one is there to help?

Cc: tojued, zaynie, rofemiguwa, Onegai, comtem2011, jennykoko3009, FINA4804, kidco, pheesayor, jamjam5000, ijeoma2728, bellaella, brittanystacy, babythug and all others in the house

When mine happened, I kept shouting his name and blood of Jesus, at the same time, hitting his upper back.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by roseval(f): 9:44pm On Dec 22, 2016
roseval:
if u have baby pump, u can use it to pump his stomach with warm water
or use ur small finger put inside menthol nd put inside his anus it works like magic.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rezzy: 9:57pm On Dec 22, 2016
comtem2011:
No!

What about baby crying but still opens his mouth willingly?

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jamjam5000(f): 10:41pm On Dec 22, 2016
The Smart Path to Starting Solid Foods

Four signs your baby may be ready for solids—plus, nine ways to start smart.

For the first six months, your baby’s nutritional needs are fulfilled through breast milk or formula alone. But after that, liquids may no longer provide adequate nutrition. That’s when it’s time to start introducing solids.

This transition is momentous, and it’s important to get your baby going on solids at the right time and in the right manner. If you’re strategic in your method, you can even begin to lay the groundwork for healthful eating habits that will last a lifetime.

Keep in mind that there’s no need to rush: Approaching solids in a measured way allows your baby—and his developing system—time to adapt. At about 6 months old, or when your baby shows signs of readiness, you can gradually work in complementary foods while continuing to breast- or bottle-feed.

LOOK FOR SIGNS OF READINESS.

Between 4 and 6 months, most babies show increased interest in the food that others are eating—they might, for instance, try to reach for it or put it in their mouths. Other developmental signs include being able to sit upright (with support), having good head and neck control, and opening the mouth and leaning forward when food is offered.

START SMALL, VERY SMALL.

Give your child a tester of solid food from a spoon or your finger at the end of a milk feeding to familiarize him with the new taste.

TAKE IT ONE AT A TIME.

To begin, give your baby just one, single-ingredient solid food. For example, offer oatmeal by itself before you have him try oatmeal mixed with applesauce.

WAIT A FEW DAYS BETWEEN NEW FOODS.

That way you can make sure there are no reactions (allergic or otherwise) to the food, such as diarrhea, rash, vomiting, coughing, or facial swelling.

DON’T WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT THE ORDER OF FIRST FOODS.

Cereal is a good starter, because you can mix it with the already-familiar flavors of breast milk or formula; plus, it’s a good source of iron. Doctors used to advise against introducing highly allergenic foods—such as peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, and fish—until after the first birthday. But there’s no evidence that early introduction of such foods raises the risk of an allergy. The current recommendation is to offer these foods along with others after 6 months, unless a parent or sibling has an allergic condition or a history of eczema, allergy, or asthma.

INTRODUCE NEW TEXTURES AND CONSISTENCIES GRADUALLY.

First foods should be strained or pureed, so they’re easy to swallow. Cereal, often the first solid food offered, should be mixed with breast milk or formula to a very thin consistency. Never add cereal to a bottle, as it could cause your baby to choke and interfere with him learning proper feeding skills. Once he is able to eat thin purees well, try a thicker puree. After your baby is older than 6 months or is used to strained foods, he’s ready for mashed foods. Hold off on ground or finely chopped foods until around 8 months, when he’ll be up for finger foods, too.

GO ADDITIVE-FREE.

First foods don’t need any sugar or salt added to them. Your baby will thrill to the basic taste of the natural flavors.

KEEP UP THE CEREAL.

By 4 to 6 months, babies begin to require more iron. A serving of iron-fortified formula or, at 6 months, cereal made with breast milk should suffice. Once your baby is eating solids, add a serving of vitamin C (such as fruit) with cereal to increase iron absorption.

OPT FOR NUTRITIONAL POWERHOUSES.

Once your baby has transitioned well to solids, try fresh, whole foods that pack a lot of nutrients per calorie and have undergone little or no processing (other than pureeing or mashing by you). Top picks include avocado, eggs, lentils, beans, yogurt, tofu, and hummus. Fruits and vegetables without skins and seeds should be included at every meal.

GO SLOW ON JUICE.

Juice isn’t needed before your baby is 6 months old. Even then, a baby or toddler should be given no more than 4 to 6 ounces a day, served in a cup, not a bottle. Make sure the juice is pasteurized and 100 percent juice (not a fruit drink, which can be primarily sugar and water).

3 Likes 8 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 12:01am On Dec 23, 2016
rezzy:

What about baby crying but still opens his mouth willingly?

It requires patience here, don't rush just feed gently and try to calm baby down.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by olatebony(f): 5:39am On Dec 23, 2016
stephmiracle:

Can I get one of these shirts for my DS this week . His name is Victor and he's going to be 8 weeks by Thursday. I stay at Onitsha. What's the cost
aww it's late ma. thanks so much

(1) (2) (3) ... (774) (775) (776) (777) (778) (779) (780) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.