Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,088 members, 7,811,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:43 PM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (783) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4393073 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (780) (781) (782) (783) (784) (785) (786) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 7:53am On Dec 27, 2016
nancyij:
merry xmas mama's...pls i need help,my dd is 4months and we are on exclusive,she is underweight, she was 3.2 kg at birth,4.7kg at 4months,i want to introduce food for her,but i don't know food and milk i will start with that will make her to gain weight,pls mama's i am a first time mum,u people should help me plsss....

Very sorry dear, God is your strength. I know how tough these situations can be on mothers. First of all check if her weight is still within her birth percentile here http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/sft_wfa_girls_p/en/
Would have helped you but my phone has stopped downloading. I think you should see a doctor if your baby falls within the 15th (underweight) or 85th (overweight) percentile for her age.

Then I advise you don't start cereal until she doubles her birth weight. Cereals don't have nutrients like that, they're just space fillers compared to milk. It is advised to give only milk/ formula until 6 months.

Cowbell Tina costs about 1,300. Enfamil costs about 16,000. Please pick a brand that you can pay for even in your sleep, and follow the measurements judiciously, then still top up with breast milk as much as you can.

Just be firing that baby with only milk, when she's 6 months you'll see how healthy she looks compared to

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 7:57am On Dec 27, 2016
ijeoma2728:
feed him lyk every 3hours, add egg to his diet and dnt joke with his multivitamins

Thank you for the suggestions. Egg he rejected, abidec he vomited, food he doesn't eat without being forced. We're almost back on exclusive now but I refuse to be worried anymore.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by pheesayor(m): 7:59am On Dec 27, 2016
helovesme:
pheesayor

I sent you a PM. Please reply. Thanks.

#secretsanta

I have since replied Ma'am
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by kandywandy23: 8:05am On Dec 27, 2016
when you give birth to your baby the mother is very happy. it is important to remember that the mother needs to be careful in what she eats because what you eat is what your baby will consume (that is jagoon in jagoon out). read more on 9 Nutritional Food For Pregnant Woman here http://www.kandywandy.com/2016/07/9-nutritional-food-for-pregnant-woman.html also you can read on 10 Essential Healthy Food For Breast Feeding Mothers here http://www.kandywandy.com/2016/07/10-essential-healthy-food-for-breast.html

http://www.kandywandy.com
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by nancyij(f): 4:16pm On Dec 27, 2016
Tojued:

Very sorry dear, God is your strength. I know how tough these situations can be on mothers. First of all check if her weight is still within her birth percentile here http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/sft_wfa_girls_p/en/
Would have helped you but my phone has stopped downloading. I think you should see a doctor if your baby falls within the 15th (underweight) or 85th (overweight) percentile for her age.

Then I advise you don't start cereal until she doubles her birth weight. Cereals don't have nutrients like that, they're just space fillers compared to milk. It is advised to give only milk/ formula until 6 months.

Cowbell Tina costs about 1,300. Enfamil costs about 16,000. Please pick a brand that you can pay for even in your sleep, and follow the measurements judiciously, then still top up with breast milk as much as you can.

Just be firing that baby with only milk, when she's 6 months you'll see how healthy she looks compared to

thank you soo much ma
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jamjam5000(f): 6:04pm On Dec 27, 2016
Baby's First Foods - 7 Foods You Should Introduce

Has your baby crossed the six months milestone? Are you keen to introduce first solid foods for baby? If you are curious and clueless reading this post may be a good idea.

Starting your baby on a solid diet can be messy, fun, playful and even scary. But fret not! Feeding first foods for baby is not as difficult as it sounds. You just need to keep a track of their growth and development. Here are some simple tips & suggestions on how to introduce first baby foods.

When Can You Introduce Solids In Your Baby’s Diet?

Here some signs to watch out for before weaning your baby.

Your baby has lost his extrusion reflex.
Your baby can sit up without support. Your baby needs to maintain a steady and upright position to take his first foods.

Most of the babies are ready to take their first solid when they have doubled their weight. It usually happens around the 5th month. So check your baby’s weight.
See if your baby is eyeing your meals and reaching out to try new foods.
Babies also show signs of hunger after turning six months old. Your baby may clamor for more when the milk bottle is empty or may want you to nurse him more often.

Top Seven Best First Baby Foods:

1. Cereals:
Doctors strongly recommend iron-fortified cereals as one of the first foods for babies. It boosts his iron intake and regulates the baby’s bowel movement. Mix cereal with a few teaspoons of breast milk, water or formula before offering it to your baby.

2. Fruits:
In addition to cereals, you can give your baby pureed or mashed fruits. Most of the babies love fruit. Wash the fruits well before peeling and make sure they are fully ripe. Some of the best options include pears, prunes, avocado, peach and banana.

Cut the banana into slices and mash it with a fork. Unsweetened applesauce and apple puree are also perfect baby foods. Surprisingly, babies love the tangy taste of fruits. Try serving pureed cherries or plums to your babies. You don’t need to cook avocado for your baby. Scoop out the avocado flesh and mash it with a fork before serving. Offering various seasonal fruits to your baby will tantalize his tiny taste buds in a healthy way.

3. Vegetables:
Veggies also make a good baby food option. Wash, peel and cook the veggies until tender. Do not give canned vegetables to your baby as they contain added salt. Instead, you can give your baby mashed potatoes, boiled or baked and pureed sweet potatoes. Alternatively, you can serve him a puree of baby carrots, peas, squash and green beans.

4. Juice:
You can give small amounts of unsweetened juice diluted with boiled water with meals. Remember to serve the juice in a feeding cup, not a bottle.

5. Meat:
Stewed and pureed poultry is an ideal baby food. Most of the babies love to eat chicken. You can also add fish to his diet but carefully remove the bones while serving it to your little one.

6. Whole Grains:
Whole grains like millet and quinoa will expose your baby’s palate to a whole new world of food textures. The variety of textures of different grains will help your baby learn to use his mouth and tongue. Cook millet or quinoa in vegetable broth and serve with pureed butternut squash.

7. Readymade Baby Food:
You can also serve ready-made baby foods to your baby. But before proceeding, you need to keep these things in mind:

Check the manufacturing and expiry date and seal on each package.
Watch out for additive, artificial flavoring and food coloring.
Do not buy a baby food pack that is leaking or open.
Buy the baby foods from a renowned and well-stocked shop.
What Should You Do If Your Baby Rejects The First Food?
There is a high possibility that your baby will refuse the first food offered to him. Don’t worry. Try again after some time. You may also have to wait for a few days until your baby has forgotten the experience. Do not think that your baby hates the food. It is just that he is unfamiliar with it. If your baby refuses to open up for the next bite or turns away his face or starts playing with his food, then probably he is full.

Tips To Prevent Choking:
It is crucial to take all the precautions to prevent choking. Here are a few handy tips you can follow:

Make your baby sits upright in a high chair while feeding.
Never offer foods that are potential choking hazards like hot dogs, whole grapes, and popcorn.
How Much Food Is Enough?
Many mothers worry that they may be serving either too much solid food or too little. But it is not as complicated as it seems.

In the beginning, give just one serving of solid food a day or every alternate day if your baby is reluctant. Your baby may take just one or two spoonful. Don’t worry, he will work his way up soon. Increase the amount and the frequency of feeding gradually. By around 8 or 9 months, your baby will be eating three solid meals a day.

Points To Remember:
Your baby’s first food should be a single ingredient food.
Do not add salt or sugar to baby first foods.
Do not offer solids to your baby if he is sick, tired or cranky.
Offer a new food in the morning or early in the day after to watch out for allergic reactions.
Wait for at least nine months before offering highly allergenic foods like eggs, shellfish and peanuts.
Do not give honey to your baby as it can cause a potentially dangerous disease called infant botulism.
Refrain from giving your baby cow’s milk before his first birthday as it can irritate your baby’s tiny tummy.
If the food is hot, cool it and test the temperature on your wrist before giving it to your baby.
Each time you introduce a new food to your baby, wait for four days to see if it causes any reaction.
When your baby’s tiny teeth appear, you can help develop his chewing skills, by offering him foods with more texture.
Most importantly, you have to be patient with your tot. Remember that it may take him a little time to get accustomed to new foods, so don’t get frustrated. Be kind and gentle while dealing with your infant. Also, consult a pediatrician before introducing your baby to any new food

22 Likes 18 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by helovesme(f): 7:46pm On Dec 27, 2016
pheesayor:

I have since replied Ma'am

Apologies. I'm just seeing it. You replied on Christmas Day. I have been off emails 25th and 26th.

Reply sent. smiley
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by helovesme(f): 9:09pm On Dec 27, 2016
hotmomma:
Juliao, na so plenty mouth dey enter new mom mata, for now, just avoid cold drinks at least for a month and use only warm water to bath. Then obey helovesme rule of no alcohol drinking but helovesme, I took a big sip of red wine today and it tasted soo good, still in my fridge, should I take more pls grin.
Drink pap and hot tea for more breastmilk. My two cents sha. Enjoy vigilante.

Lmao. grin grin grin

Shayo hotmomma grin cheesy tongue

U berra remove it from the fridge and hide it under the kitchen sink to avoid further temptation grin tongue

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by eolowu1(f): 9:56pm On Dec 27, 2016
merry Xmas my e-family. pls help me out I beg.
1) my 4months old baby gas bin pooing green poop for some says nw, he's getting enof of hind milk cos I made sure of dat cud it be sign of infection
2) my 4months old baby is using anytin he grip hold of to rub his gum I tink its hitching him ppl say I shud get teething powder for him
3) he has bin fussy for some days nw, he will cry very hard & loud wen he's hungry which is unlike him he's ebf.
4) he started coughing today and running nose cos d harmattan was very harsh today.
CBC: all sabi mamas
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Amhappy(f): 4:03am On Dec 28, 2016
Merry Christmas dearies. God bless our homes

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Bibol(f): 6:39am On Dec 28, 2016
Hello great mothers in this thread. My baby has tiny rashes around the neck, ears and on the cheeks. I'm suspecting it is the baby oil that flows down because his body downwards is free of rashes. Already I've washed all the clothes and sheets just to eliminate the cause

Pls what can I use to clear it because I don't want to use any kind of product that will damage his skin. Someone advised nycil powder, is it very effective?

Cc zaynie, alphahandmaiden, onegai, tojued
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by iomoge2(f): 7:53am On Dec 28, 2016
E gba mi o.
Na only me waka come?

DD has been sleeping like kilode
DH says its d weather
Me? Am so happy ehn. She just eats n goes back to sleep. Lol.

For feeding infant... there is a meal my mum used to prepare back den o.... i think its fron 4 or 6 months and above
Lemme type the recipe n come and post so our experienced mamas will advise us on wheb its suitable to give babies. Children love it alot even me cheesy

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by iomoge2(f): 7:55am On Dec 28, 2016
Bibol:
Hello great mothers in this thread. My baby has tiny rashes around the neck, ears and on the cheeks. I'm suspecting it is the baby oil that flows down because his body downwards is free of rashes. Already I've washed all the clothes and sheets just to eliminate the cause

Pls what can I use to clear it because I don't want to use any kind of product that will damage his skin. Someone advised nycil powder, is it very effective?

Tiny rashes.... ensure breast milk is not pouring on ur childs body. If it is, after eating clean away with wet wash cloth.

To clear, u can try d powder u were advised to use.
For me. I put her normal powder in small water to form a paste then rub as often as possible and in 24 to 36hours .. it all clears.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by zaynie(f): 8:15am On Dec 28, 2016
Bibol:

Cc zay.nie, alphahandm.aiden, oneg.ai, to.jued

Congrats Bibol. May your son always make you happy and proud. Amin
Please if your baby oil is mineral oil then you may want to discontinue and use natural oils such as coconut oil.
Secondly, you may want to reduce the amount of oil used since it flows down. Just a little goes a long way.
Thirdly, nycil powder is quite effective but if it doesn't work, try rising raving powder or agnesia powder. If you dont see changes in 3 days, please see a Dr. Also know that powders should be used with care to prevent the baby from inhaling particles.
Fourthly, lol @ Great Mothers.....like say na Africa Magic now, dey wee say we be witches here cheesy
Lastly, kindly update your diary. wink

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 8:33am On Dec 28, 2016
iomoge2:
E gba mi o.
Na only me waka come?

DH says its d weather

For feeding infant... there is a meal my mum used to prepare back den o.... i think its fron 4 or 6 months and above
Lemme type the recipe n come and post so our experienced mamas will advise us on wheb its suitable to give babies. Children love it alot even me cheesy
Am interested in d recipe, plssss bring it on.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by zaynie(f): 9:42am On Dec 28, 2016
eolowu1:
merry Xmas my e-family. pls help me out I beg.
1) my 4months old baby gas bin pooing green poop for some says nw, he's getting enof of hind milk cos I made sure of dat cud it be sign of infection
Sometimes the colour of the poop might be as a result of your diet, I know when I drank a lot of ewedu, my daughter pooped green poop

2) my 4months old baby is using anytin he grip hold of to rub his gum I tink its hitching him ppl say I shud get teething powder for him.
No teething powder, yes teething rings.
A lot of it cos once it falls, you have to to sterilize. Sterilize, put in the fridge and let baby scratch gum with.

3l) he has bin fussy for some days nw, he will cry very hard & loud wen he's hungry which is unlike him he's ebf.
He's getting older and needs to be fed more often and for longer too.
4) he started coughing today and running nose cos d harmattan was very harsh today.
Bath with warm water, bundle up till noon when its hot.
CBC: all sabi mamas

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by dexterush(f): 9:43am On Dec 28, 2016
Mamas how market,compliment of the season,enjoyment no let me see road comment since.
Looking forward to seeing us all in 2017

AlphaHandMaiden:
Merry Christmas everyone! Wishing you all joy, happiness and many blessings....

dexterush... how the turkey? grin
There was a change in plan at the last minute oh,but its all to the glory of God.
Hope you are enjoying your celebration.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rahjan: 11:43am On Dec 28, 2016
Good morning house,
I wud be most greatful if someone can help. My daughter is a year and six months. For d last 2months she has been coughing seriously. Sometimes up to 7 minutes at a stretch. I have taken her to 2 different hospitals but both doctors said its just allergy. D second doctors prescription worked until d drugs finished and then she started again. I don't know what else to do as she looks really uncomfortable when she gets the spasms and coughs out mucus at times. Anyone who has experienced similar should pls assist.
Thanks
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by chloe9191: 12:13pm On Dec 28, 2016
rahjan:
Good morning house,
I wud be most greatful if someone can help. My daughter is a year and six months. For d last 2months she has been coughing seriously. Sometimes up to 7 minutes at a stretch. I have taken her to 2 different hospitals but both doctors said its just allergy. D second doctors prescription worked until d drugs finished and then she started again. I don't know what else to do as she looks really uncomfortable when she gets the spasms and coughs out mucus at times. Anyone who has experienced similar should pls assist.
Thanks

Your baby might be suffering from sore throat symptom, I think so. I don't know why doctors cannot have a proper treatment for her. I am so sorry for hearing that. My daughter has also suffered a lots from this due to the bad environment where I'm living. The most basic way of treatment is using salt water, you should mix a little salt with water then tell her to drink 3-5 times per day. I read this article about ways to cure sore throat: https://authorityremedies.com/home-remedies-for-sore-throat/
In my case, I experienced this way too, mix ginger, honey and lemon in water. I must say, I gave this method a big thump up. It is my perfect home remedy for sore throat. Prepare one teaspoon of each powdered ginger and honey, ½ cup of hot water, and the juice of ½ squeezed lemon. Add ginger, lemon juice, honey, and gargle into hot water, then stir it up. This home remedy is so simple and very effective. Honey coats the throat and has mild antibacterial properties.

I really hope that this might help you. Please follow my directions! If this didn't help at all, you may end up in another hospital. Again, I feel so sorry if this didn't help. It actually works in my case.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rahjan: 12:42pm On Dec 28, 2016
chloe9191:

Your baby might be suffering from sore throat symptom, I think so. I don't know why doctors cannot have a proper treatment for her. I am so sorry for hearing that. My daughter has also suffered a lots from this due to the bad environment where I'm living. The most basic way of treatment is using salt water, you should mix a little salt with water then tell her to drink 3-5 times per day. I read this article about ways to cure sore throat: https://authorityremedies.com/home-remedies-for-sore-throat/
In my case, I experienced this way too, mix ginger, honey and lemon in water. I must say, I gave this method a big thump up. It is my perfect home remedy for sore throat. Prepare one teaspoon of each powdered ginger and honey, ½ cup of hot water, and the juice of ½ squeezed lemon. Add ginger, lemon juice, honey, and gargle into hot water, then stir it up. This home remedy is so simple and very effective. Honey coats the throat and has mild antibacterial properties.

I really hope that this might help you. Please follow my directions! If this didn't help at all, you may end up in another hospital. Again, I feel so sorry if this didn't help. It actually works in my case.
Thank you very much, I will surely try this.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by missade(f): 1:21pm On Dec 28, 2016
iomoge2:
E gba mi o.
Na only me waka come?

DH says its d weather

Wow! I'd give everything to experience dd sleeping like that. Biko, please when do babies start sleeping through the night or are there ways/techniques to this effect? Mom has left....so plssss helpppppp

Cc: all sabi mums
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Doynb(f): 1:39pm On Dec 28, 2016
Weldone mamas,pls is coartem safe to use while exclusively breastfeeding?
Cc: Soonest, Onegai, Alphahandmaiden, Zaynie and all Sabi mamas
Thank you
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by helovesme(f): 1:57pm On Dec 28, 2016
rahjan:
Good morning house,
Thanks

coughing seriously with phlegm ?

sounds like a serious chest infection.

was she prescribed antibiotics?

i will suggest you take her to another hospital and insist she sees a pediatrician and not just a general practitioner.

if its really an allergy, they should have advised you on the likely triggers and how to avoid them and maybe placed her on long term daily antihistamines .

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by eolowu1(f): 2:15pm On Dec 28, 2016
[quote author=zaynie post=52322096][/quote] Tanx zaynie

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 2:51pm On Dec 28, 2016
Bibol:

It could be milk rash. How old is your baby? Newborn's naturally have this rash on their face that clears away on its own. Palm kernel oil worked well for my lo's face rash. you could also clean after breastfeeding as suggested by another mummy. Then i support the mummy who asked you to switch to a natural oil like coconut oil.

As for powder, oyinbo people said we should stop using powder on babies, that it can irritate the skin, clog the pores, and they can breathe in the particles etc. You can let your instinct guide you on this.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 2:52pm On Dec 28, 2016
iomoge2:
E gba mi o.
Na only me waka come?

DH says its d weather

i'm waiting for this recipe

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by zaynie(f): 2:55pm On Dec 28, 2016
Doynb:
Cc: Soonest, Onega.i, Alphahandm.aiden, Zay.nie and all Sabi mamas
Thank you

Soonest!!!!!
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by soonest(f): 3:21pm On Dec 28, 2016
Doynb:
Cc: Soonest, One.gai, Alphaha.ndmaiden, Z.aynie and all Sabi mamas
Thank you
You can use it
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Doynb(f): 3:38pm On Dec 28, 2016
soonest:

You can use it
Thank u ma'am
Thank u Zaynie

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by FINA4804(f): 4:35pm On Dec 28, 2016
Compliment of the season Wounderful mums.
@Danzak, how is your Lo, hope the cough has stopped.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tmama86(f): 7:06am On Dec 29, 2016
Good morning to d mamas in the house. Am first time mum
please how can i do steaming for my 4 months old lo. She is having cough and cattarh
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by enque(f): 8:47am On Dec 29, 2016
Cc zaynie

Tmama86:
Good morning to d mamas in the house. Am first time mum
please how can i do steaming for my 4 months old lo. She is having cough and cattarh

(1) (2) (3) ... (780) (781) (782) (783) (784) (785) (786) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: Howyeh(f) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.