Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,992 members, 7,838,508 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (902) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4433852 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (899) (900) (901) (902) (903) (904) (905) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jummy004: 10:57am On May 16, 2017
hotmomma:
#OSMB... Mamas abeg how do I get my exclusively breastfed 6month old to leave my breasts cry my ds has turned down everything but breast. Kai, I don lean ehen! Pls what can I do?

Foods rejected grin: Gerber rice, nutribun, sweet potatoes, egg York, Titus fish, avocado, semi n baby okro soup.
Similac, nan Can't remember odas jare.

Onegai, mamaoo, helovesme, feddy27, sugah, Zaynie, liftedhands, rofemiguwa, iomoge2...pls if I don't mention you, its an oversight, don't read and pass abeg

#operationsavemybreast

we are presently facing this o, she doesn't want to take anything except brez milk. Pls mamas what can we do
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nemzy(f): 12:26pm On May 16, 2017
Hello experienced mamas, please help a ftm. I just realized that my DD hasn't been given Rotavirus vaccine at the health centre we use. She is 12weeks and 3days. I'm being told it's not free and only available at some hospitals. My questions are
1. Is it too late for her to get the shots?
2. If she can still take it, which hospitals around Yaba have it?
3. Please any idea of the price range so I'm prepared.
Thanks Mamas

Please dont ignore
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by folamee: 12:46pm On May 16, 2017
pls mama help a ftm
the health center I plan to use for my DD 6weeks immunization next week said they don't give rotavirus pls where else can I get and how much does it cost.
pls is the rotavirus compulsory?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by enque(f): 12:51pm On May 16, 2017
Nemzy:
Hello experienced mamas, please help a ftm. I just realized that my DD hasn't been given Rotavirus vaccine at the health centre we use. She is 12weeks and 3days. I'm being told it's not free and only available at some hospitals. My questions are
1. Is it too late for her to get the shots?
2. If she can still take it, which hospitals around Yaba have it?
3. Please any idea of the price range so I'm prepared.
Thanks Mamas

Please dont ignore

price range should be between 7k - 10k
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hunniesuzie: 1:04pm On May 16, 2017
Compulsory? No. Good to have? Yes

folamee:
pls mama help a ftm
the health center I plan to use for my DD 6weeks immunization next week said they don't give rotavirus pls where else can I get and how much does it cost.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hunniesuzie: 1:05pm On May 16, 2017
Thanks Mama, We went to the hospital and got eye drops. It has mostly cleared but we'll finish the dose

jaysmama:

It best to go to the doctor but you can clean the eye discharge with water and cotton wool. Remember to wash your hands to avoid you catching it just in case it's contagious.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hunniesuzie: 1:07pm On May 16, 2017
I just guage with my eye. Shea butter is more than the oil like ratio 2:1

olamitie:
please what is the ratio of coconut oil to sheabutter?

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jaysmama(f): 1:13pm On May 16, 2017
jummy004:

we are presently facing this o, she doesn't want to take anything except brez milk. Pls mamas what can we do
Mamas,that are having issues with baby refusing to eat it just means the baby is not ready. First of all make sure the baby is 6 months old not 5 months 3 weeks. You will be surprised at how much difference a week can make. Then start with cereal mixed with breastmilk make it a bit watery and get someone else to feed the baby . If the baby refuses continue breastfeeding and wait another week before you try again. Once the baby starts taking that watered down cereal then you gradually start making it thicker and then go on to other foods. Your child still needs milk so continue breastfeeding as well. Eventually the baby will eat but it's a process that takes time

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hunniesuzie: 1:13pm On May 16, 2017
Thanks. My baby is starting creche by 1st of June and this is similar to what I plan to do. He's not on exclusive but I try to give him 2 bottles of breastmilk during the day

enque:

For me, I pack like 6-7 bottles in my DD's creche bag, so that they don't have to bother washing and re-using.
I politely told them not to wash the bottles so that it's not too much stress on them wink . So once they use a bottle, they put it in a separate bag and take a fresh bottle for the next feed. so far, so good......It's been fine and We haven't had any hygiene issues.
Once I get home I soak the bottles in warm water, wash and sterilise overnight till the next morning and then I pack her bags again. It was stressful for me when I started, but now it's just one of those routine things.

I also have a sterilising unit that stays permanently in the creche, which is where the nanny puts the unused bottles.

For washing baby bottles, I use SUNLIGHT washing up liquid. It actually foams a lot so I have to rinse the bottles well with cold water and then one final time with hot water.

This is my own creche 'modus operandi' grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hunniesuzie: 1:17pm On May 16, 2017
Best place to check your baby's temp is his stomach according to baby centre. Also you only need to wear one more layer for baby than you are wearing. Lagos isn't as hot as zaria but my baby also sweats a lot. He wears a onesie with short sleeve/sleeveless during the day (except a cold day) and sleep suits at night (if the AC is on I cover him with a baby duvet). Babies can also overheat if you wear too many clothes. I remember when I was forced to wear cap for my baby cos of the fontanelle (sp?) it's the pediatrician that removed the cap and flung it when she saw the rashes on his head.

Sansa143:
Morning all,hope we are all doing great!I have a question to ask!We stay in zaria and d weda dere iss sumtin else and my baby sweats a lot so I usually wear light clothing for him!My question is am I wrong by wearing light cloths for him cos people keepin telling me infants are not like us,i shld cover him weda he sweats or not!Am confused,pls help me out?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jaysmama(f): 1:17pm On May 16, 2017
Sansa143:
Morning all,hope we are all doing great!I have a question to ask!We stay in zaria and d weda dere iss sumtin else and my baby sweats a lot so I usually wear light clothing for him!My question is am I wrong by wearing light cloths for him cos people keepin telling me infants are not like us,i shld cover him weda he sweats or not!Am confused,pls help me out?
Don't mind them o. If he is sweating it means he is hot and needs lighter clothing . Shikena
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 1:18pm On May 16, 2017
Hotmomma,jummy 004.

Patience, persistence and perseverance is the answer.

My lo practically survived on bm for the first year of her life. Her weight was ok until she started walking and then the bm wasn't enough anymore because of the energy she was expending.

I watched a once plump baby become thin but there was hardly anything I could do. Personally, I don't subscribe to force feeding. (my mother and mil accused me of starving her because I don't eat much either)

So I kept trying with different foods. (at a point I actually gave up and just continued breastfeeding her because I was frustrated)

But now, she eats everything. Rice, swallow (she especially loves it with draw soup), tea and bread, pap, fruits, pringles and coke.

So keep trying even if it's in small quantities, just keep trying. A spoon here and there goes a long way.

One thing I noticed was that she didn't like to keep still when eating so I had to follow her around the room. One step, one spoon.

And anytime anyone forcefully feeds her, she throws up.

So patience, persistence and perseverance.

5 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by olamitie: 1:28pm On May 16, 2017
sugah:

What time are you dropping her off?
How many hours interval does she feed?
That would determine how much milk to pack for her so she doesn't end up hungry and crying before you come get her at 3.
And also if there's some kind D of traffic and you can't get her at 3, she should still have food to keep her until you come.
How old is she now?

Disregard the putting the warmed milk back in the bag, that only works for fridge.

Just pump the specific quantity she takes at each meal in her bottles and check the time interval between each feed and how long she would spend at the creche.
So if she eats 60ml every 2hrs and she would be at the creche for 7hrs (8am-3pm) meaning she would eat 3 times, pump and Carry 4 bottles along. One extra bottle for contingency.

We use normal morning fresh o. But the bottles/nipples are boiled for 5mins after washing.
thanks, its 8-3pm, actually the creche is just three buildings away from where i work grin,i can always sneak there if the milk is not enough,i dont think the thermal bag can take more than two bottles undecided
@enque i do not intend to ask them wash the bottle, just wanna know how to do it at home, i hope i also get used to it, the thought of the stress ehn i dey shiver already
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jaysmama(f): 1:29pm On May 16, 2017
folamee:
pls mama help a ftm
Rotavirus is not compulsory but it is very necessary. It helps to protect your kid against a virus that causes stooling and vomiting. You know how it is as an adult to be stooling frequently it's not pleasant talk less of a baby. It is expensive but it's worth it in the long run
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 1:44pm On May 16, 2017
My dear,i tire 4 dem oh!I still do d normal dressing I do 4 him after bath,worst is in d night,once he is wet,he won't sleep!We neva c rain yet in zaria!Tnks alot!
jaysmama:

Don't mind them o. If he is sweating it means he is hot and needs lighter clothing . Shikena
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 1:47pm On May 16, 2017
Tnks dear,my confusion is now over!For his temp,i usually use a therm is usually witin d range of 36 or 37!
hunniesuzie:
Best place to check your baby's temp is his stomach according to baby centre. Also you only need to wear one more layer for baby than you are wearing. Lagos isn't as hot as zaria but my baby also sweats a lot. He wears a onesie with short sleeve/sleeveless during the day (except a cold day) and sleep suits at night (if the AC is on I cover him with a baby duvet). Babies can also overheat if you wear too many clothes. I remember when I was forced to wear cap for my baby cos of the fontanelle (sp?) it's the pediatrician that removed the cap and flung it when she saw the rashes on his head.

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by enque(f): 1:54pm On May 16, 2017
hunniesuzie:
Thanks. My baby is starting creche by 1st of June and this is similar to what I plan to do. He's not on exclusive but I try to give him 2 bottles of breastmilk during the day

My DD is not on exclusive either.....
She takes 3 bottles of formula between 8am and 4pm, and I go to the creche to breastfeed her during my break.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hunniesuzie: 3:22pm On May 16, 2017
Chai. I'm not looking forward to this thing at all. He's been with my mum but she has to go back home month end. The crèche I picked is closer to home so I can't pop in. Right now I bf till I leave home at 6, then he takes formula at 8/9. Breastmilk around 12, formula at 3 then I get home about 5:30 to breastfeed till morning. So I'll prep only 1 breastmilk bottle for crèche everyday. The rest is formula
enque:

My DD is not on exclusive either.....
She takes 3 bottles of formula between 8am and 4pm, and I go to the creche to breastfeed her during my break.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by enque(f): 3:35pm On May 16, 2017
hunniesuzie:
Chai. I'm not looking forward to this thing at all. He's been with my mum but she has to go back home month end. The crèche I picked is closer to home so I can't pop in. Right now I bf till I leave home at 6, then he takes formula at 8/9. Breastmilk around 12, formula at 3 then I get home about 5:30 to breastfeed till morning. So I'll prep only 1 breastmilk bottle for crèche everyday. The rest is formula

my creche is 10mins from my office...
we bf in the morning b4 i drop her off at the creche around 7.30 ish.
from 7.30 till my breaktime (any 1hr between 12 and 2pm) - formula,
My 1hr break - brea..stmilk and playtime grin
After my break till 4pm (closing time) - formula
from 4pm till the next morning - Bre..astmilk

That's our routine. She takes 3 rounds of formula feeding while i'm away at work.

My DD will be 6months in 2 week's time...yaaay!
I'll stop the break time bre..astfeeding once she is 6 months, and limit it to just morning and night when we are home.

It may feel stressful at first, but with time you'll get used to it.

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by mydeporch(f): 3:38pm On May 16, 2017
jaysmama:

Mamas,that are having issues with baby refusing to eat it just means the baby is not ready. First of all make sure the baby is 6 months old not 5 months 3 weeks. You will be surprised at how much difference a week can make. Then start with cereal mixed with breastmilk make it a bit watery and get someone else to feed the baby . If the baby refuses continue breastfeeding and wait another week before you try again. Once the baby starts taking that watered down cereal then you gradually start making it thicker and then go on to other foods. Your child still needs milk so continue breastfeeding as well. Eventually the baby will eat but it's a process that takes time
Thanks jaysmama. Talking about one of those things that needs patience.its taking care of a baby. I also realise one just dont need to rush it but be calm. D only reason i wanted to start it at 5mnths plus is because for some 4nights, he was just sucking and not habing sound sleep like just 3 times of waking to feed. I felt maybe its not enough again.(story for another day but my mums belief abt ebf for six mnths is another thing !entirely) And wt his mat. grandma and pat. grandpa saying give our baby food as if he is not adding enough. Since i av tried it and he refused. I just dey look and i realise it might be growth spurt or/and due to d malaria i was gonna have because d serious cold nd other malaria symtoms started after those four days of not slèeping soundly. Lesson learnt. Since i got treated.everytun has been fine. I have also learnt that changes that u lookibg forward to might happen within d next few days.
Mamas in d house, lets not rush it but go with the flow of what our babies want.waiting for june 4 when Martins will be 6mnths.maybe am gonna first try dt cereal wt bm d way u described it.
Shout out to all Nov 2016 teamie @xx01, cappo iomoge2. Hope our babies are doing gr8.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by enque(f): 3:41pm On May 16, 2017
rofemiguwa:

Doesn't really follow.my foodie dd was exclusively fed.i tink it depends on the child.
Hotmomma u gat to try n find out wat he likes.there must be one of the food he takes with little struggle compared to others u have to turn to jackie chan to feed him.

What i noticed is not every baby likes sweet food.till tomorrow my dd will never take banana or sweet potatoes. So i give bland fruits.u need to see her licking agbulomo like dis eh!.

Jus watch him.he might struggle but he will definitely take some better than others.
Also u have to be patient while feeding.one spoon allow to rest another.
U can also play songs he might like while feeding.
U can also try making his food little at a time.i dont feed my baby more than 120ml of food at a time but she eats up to 6 to 8 times per day.

She has short attention span.if u make her food bigger.u go chop the remaining. meanwhile she will disturb u in an hr or 2 again o.

Just find out wat works for him.all the best.

My DD does this a lot while breastfeeding. Any little noise, she go just comot mouth for bre.ast to look in the direction of the noise, and most times ...that's the end of the feeding session. So I always try to b.feed in a very quite place so she can stay for a longer period.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by mydeporch(f): 3:48pm On May 16, 2017
enque:

My DD does this a lot while breastfeeding. Any little noise, she go just comot mouth for bre.ast to look in the direction of the noise, and most times ...that's the end of the feeding session. So I always try to b.feed in a very quite place so she can stay for a longer period.
Thats my ds latest style too.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by luscioustrish(f): 4:14pm On May 16, 2017
Abiagirl777:
pls sabi mamas who has used the chlorxy gel(sic) for navels,how is it applied. my Ds cord is yet to fall off at 2 wks +,I'm at a loss cos I've never has it last this long before.
what can I do to hasten the fall off,I've been using spirit as before.

I used toothpaste and it fell off that same day
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by portable4real: 4:43pm On May 16, 2017
[quote author=olubankemi post=56558941]My girl is down with cold- running nose, cough, temp hike, has reduced food intake, no much play, just wanna suck n suck. We been to the hospital but no improvement

sorry mama. since you said the food intake reduced and not totally ignored. put the drug inside the little food and feed her.

my son also hate drugs,infact, he will try to leave my side when he sight d bottles. that was my trick for last week drug and it worked.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jaysmama(f): 4:43pm On May 16, 2017
enque:

All babies get to this stage they are just showing more awareness of their environment. It's just the way we adults on hearing a noise outside we go and peep at the window to see what is going on. Its curiousity at work.Is anybody's baby gumming their nipple and dragging it like rubber. We have entered that stage ko easy rara.

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jaysmama(f): 4:45pm On May 16, 2017
mydeporch:

Thanks jaysmama. Talking about one of those things that needs patience.its taking care of a baby. I also realise one just dont need to rush it but be calm. D only reason i wanted to start it at 5mnths plus is because for some 4nights, he was just sucking and not habing sound sleep like just 3 times of waking to feed. I felt maybe its not enough again.(story for another day but my mums belief abt ebf for six mnths is another thing !entirely) And wt his mat. grandma and pat. grandpa saying give our baby food as if he is not adding enough. Since i av tried it and he refused. I just dey look and i realise it might be growth spurt or/and due to d malaria i was gonna have because d serious cold nd other malaria symtoms started after those four days of not slèeping soundly. Lesson learnt. Since i got treated.everytun has been fine. I have also learnt that changes that u lookibg forward to might happen within d next few days.
Mamas in d house, lets not rush it but go with the flow of what our babies want.waiting for june 4 when Martins will be 6mnths.maybe am gonna first try dt cereal wt bm d way u described it.
Shout out to all Nov 2016 teamie @xx01, cappo iomoge2. Hope our babies are doing gr8.
You are welcome
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by crystalzoe: 5:07pm On May 16, 2017
[quote author=Sansa143 post=56568913my question is am I wrong by wearing light cloths for him cos people keepin telling me infants are not like us,i shld cover him weda he sweats or not!Am confused,pls help me out?[/quote]
My son is 10 weeks old and can sweat for Africa.he stopped wearing cap and socks at 3weeks. And doesn't wear sleep suit to bed
If he gets hot at nyt his scream can wake up d deepest sleeper for the past three days he's been on only diapers in d afternoon and he still had heat rash thank God for sebamed soap
Pls wear light clothing but monitor closely. Everyday I look for the slightest sign of a cold but so far so good.
Global warming is real a beg
Times have really changed
Lest I forget u can also use warm/tepid water to bath him in d afternoon.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 5:11pm On May 16, 2017
Tnks dear!The heat d deal wit us adults talk mre of an infant![quote author=crystalzoe post=56580991][/quote]
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by olamitie: 6:20pm On May 16, 2017
jaysmama:

Rotavirus is not compulsory but it is very necessary. It helps to protect your kid against a virus that causes stooling and vomiting. You know how it is as an adult to be stooling frequently it's not pleasant talk less of a baby. It is expensive but it's worth it in the long run
wonder why they dont give at healthcentre, just checked her card and she wasn't given, how many times does a baby need to take it and is it too late at 10weeks
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hunniesuzie: 6:44pm On May 16, 2017
Thanks Mama.
enque:

my creche is 10mins from my office...
we bf in the morning b4 i drop her off at the creche around 7.30 ish.
from 7.30 till my breaktime (any 1hr between 12 and 2pm) - formula,
My 1hr break - brea..stmilk and playtime grin
After my break till 4pm (closing time) - formula
from 4pm till the next morning - Bre..astmilk

That's our routine. She takes 3 rounds of formula feeding while i'm away at work.

My DD will be 6months in 2 week's time...yaaay!
I'll stop the break time bre..astfeeding once she is 6 months, and limit it to just morning and night when we are home.

It may feel stressful at first, but with time you'll get used to it.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jummy004: 7:08pm On May 16, 2017
jaysmama:

I introduced cereal to her d day she clocks 6 mnts about 7 days ago, there has been no improvement, I ll do what you suggest let's see how it goes. Thanks very plenty mama
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Gr8fulHeart(f): 7:36pm On May 16, 2017
mamas pls what can i use for my 2wks plus baby rashes all over d body. i used agnesia powder it only caused it to peel. his face tommy and bum and his back. is der anytin i cn do or is it jst a phase?
secondly cn sm1 giv me a detailed imunization list esp dos ones dt are nt covered under d free imunization lik rotavvirus and d rest and d weeks and d cost? thnks
cc liftedhands alphandmaiden sugah zaynie lovinam and oda mamas. gracias

(1) (2) (3) ... (899) (900) (901) (902) (903) (904) (905) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: sonyjacobs(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.