Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,654 members, 7,827,415 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:38 AM

Kanu Launches N5b Cardiac Centre, Heart Surgery Test-run Begins - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kanu Launches N5b Cardiac Centre, Heart Surgery Test-run Begins (2236 Views)

Rickey Tarfa Sues Mtn, Efcc, Others For N5b / Tony Anenih Undergoes Heart Surgery / Test Run Of Port Harcourt Mono Rail (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kanu Launches N5b Cardiac Centre, Heart Surgery Test-run Begins by Germannig: 3:04pm On Jun 23, 2012
Kanu launches N5b cardiac centre, heart surgery test-run begins

From Ezeocha Nzeh, Abuja

FORMER Captain of the Super Eagles, Kanu Nwankwo, yesterday launched a lottery fund for his Kanu Nwankwo Cardiac Centre, which is estimated to take about N5 billion.

advertisement

click here

The project will be executed through the Kanu Nwankwo Heart Foundation, with money that will be raised from the lottery tagged: "Kanu Heal the Heart Lottery".

According to coordinator of the foundation, Onyebuchi Abia, the project will include a well-equipped hospital that will major in cardiac cases and it will be set up within the Federal Capital Territory.

The coordinator, who revealed that the Foundation had handled over 450 heart cases since it was established in 2002, also disclosed that the Federal Government had already shown its support for the Foundation by approving a piece of land in the FCT for the location of the estimated 40-bed hospital.

According to him, the Foundation, as well as other Nigerians, have been spending a lot in foreign currencies when they travel abroad for heart-related treatments, adding that it would offer free heart surgery to Nigerians within the ages of one and 12 if completed.

Abia also revealed that a test-run of the heart surgery in Nigeria had already been conducted by the Foundation in Enugu with about 20 doctors from the various parts of the world, an exercise he noted, gave the Foundation the courage to commence its bid to establish the centre in Nigeria so as to reduce the pains of Nigerians who suffer from heart-related sickness.

At the media launch, Nwankwo noted that he initiated the lottery programme to urge Nigerians to contribute their own quota in his efforts to save those suffering from heart diseases.

He stressed the need to have a functional cardiac centre in Nigeria considering the number of people from the country who travel abroad for treatment of heart-related cases.

"I have won a lot of trophies and medals in football. Till this day, the best trophy I have won and cherished more has been saving souls through the Kanu Nwankwo Heart Foundation. Whatever we do in trying to save a life will not be forgotten and I urge Nigerians to key into this effort of ours to save the numerous souls who are suffering from heart-related problems", he said.

The former Arsenal and Portsmouth FC player once had a heart problem.

http://odili.net/news/source/2012/jun/22/6.html
Re: Kanu Launches N5b Cardiac Centre, Heart Surgery Test-run Begins by Germannig: 3:06pm On Jun 23, 2012
Some Igbos are really styypid locating expensive ventures outside Igboland in an inflammable society like Nigeria. All the Boko Haram bombings and the signs that Nigeria may break up mean nothing to them? There are very few cardiac centers in Nigeria and no matter the location within Nigeria, Nigerians who will not be able to travel overseas for medical matters will patronize it. Why not build it in the SE? How many Yorubas and northerners build things outside their regions?
Re: Kanu Launches N5b Cardiac Centre, Heart Surgery Test-run Begins by hakanai(m): 3:33pm On Jun 23, 2012
Germannig: Some Igbos are really styypid locating expensive ventures outside Igboland in an inflammable society like Nigeria. All the Boko Haram bombings and the signs that Nigeria may break up means nothing to them? There are very few cardiac centers in Nigeria and no matter the location within Nigeria, Nigerians who will not be able to travel overseas for medical matters will patronize it. Why not build it in the SE? How many Yorubas and northerners build things outside their regions?

calm down.Na heart foundation for people with heart problems.Not Igbo heart foundation. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Kanu Launches N5b Cardiac Centre, Heart Surgery Test-run Begins by sadyeek(m): 4:09pm On Jun 23, 2012
Germannig: Some Igbos are really styypid locating expensive ventures outside Igboland in an inflammable society like Nigeria. All the Boko Haram bombings and the signs that Nigeria may break up means nothing to them? There are very few cardiac centers in Nigeria and no matter the location within Nigeria, Nigerians who will not be able to travel overseas for medical matters will patronize it. Why not build it in the SE? How many Yorubas and northerners build things outside their regions?

[size=16pt]why does it always have to be about tribe??

Things like this are built in the capital and where is the capital?? Yes you said it right abuja!

So if nigerian now strats heading in the direction your thinking how do you expect us to make any progress and development??
I am a hausa man I'll build my cement factory in kano
I am a youruba man I'll buld my university in ogun
I am an igbo man I'll build my spare part dealer shop in imo grin grin ( just kidding) build my electonics factory in enugu
I am ijaw I'll build my 5 refineries in bayelsa
I am a fulani man I'll heared my cow and sell only in adamawa

Then what will happen to places that have little or no resources?? Let's try to love one another, we're all humans of the same country
[/size]
Re: Kanu Launches N5b Cardiac Centre, Heart Surgery Test-run Begins by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jun 23, 2012
test run? shocked shocked shocked shocked which person dem wan use do the test run?
Re: Kanu Launches N5b Cardiac Centre, Heart Surgery Test-run Begins by Dede1(m): 4:55pm On Jun 23, 2012

You have spoken well bros. Most Igbo people are irredeemably deluded about the concept called Nigeria. Sometimes, I give it up to Yoruba people. When flood rushes under the bridge in Nigeria, a downcast Nwankwo Kanu shall be looking for help in Owerri, Enugu, Awka, Umuahia, Igwe Ocha, Asaba or Abakiliki. If a bystander rightfully informs him to go to Abuja for help, knowing full well that Abuja or northern region is no-go area; people will term the bystander as wicked person.
Re: Kanu Launches N5b Cardiac Centre, Heart Surgery Test-run Begins by johnie: 5:22pm On Jun 23, 2012

Aliko Dangote must be the most deluded businessman in Nigeria for investing heavily outside of the "north"!

Right?
Re: Kanu Launches N5b Cardiac Centre, Heart Surgery Test-run Begins by kokoA(m): 7:18pm On Jun 23, 2012
mumu.. Na only igbos go contribute for the foundation abi?
Re: Kanu Launches N5b Cardiac Centre, Heart Surgery Test-run Begins by PROUDIGBO(m): 8:08pm On Jun 23, 2012

^^^Thanks bruh. That was the first thing i thought of when i watched it on the news the other day. Unfortunately we still have brothers and sisters that don't want to learn and still believe in this 'one Nigeria' hustle. It could still be located in Enugu or Owerri, and anyone that doesn't want to contribute because of that.....then i guess we know exactly how far they believe in their 'one Nigeria' gimmick.

The fact of the matter is that individuals only extol the virtues of 'one Nigeria' insofar as they are gaining from it,. But no sooner than 'one Nigeria' wants to benefit someone else that rightly deserves the attention, you see them revert back to their ethnocentric default settings. Maybe Kanu is aware of this before he decided to site the project in Abuja. I'm not being funny, but if he had chosen Enugu or Owerri, you may not see the kind of support you would otherwise have seen if it were to be sited in Abuja or Lagos, and anyone trying to say this is not true is not being honest with themselves.

sadyeek:

Things like this are built in the capital and where is the capital?? Yes you said it right abuja!

So if nigerian now strats heading in the direction your thinking how do you expect us to make any progress and development??
I am an igbo man I'll build my spare part dealer shop in imo grin grin ( just kidding) build my electonics factory in enugu

Then what will happen to places that have little or no resources?? Let's try to love one another, we're all humans of the same country
[/size]

^^^You see how your post is dripping with sarcasm, innuendo and disrespect? Now tell me any major employment generating factory or industry an Hausa/Fulani or Yoruba man has in the South East (and i don't mean those which we see in the general scheme of things all over Nigeria like GLO office or Dangote distrubution warehouse). Can't think of any can you?

If Igbos don't look after ourselves is it the Hausa/Fulani or Yoruba that will? You guys think you're clever don't you? You champion 'one Nigeria' but have little or no investments in Igboland.....is it not part of Nigeria again?

You say "things like this are built in the capital". Is it the same 'capital' that an Igbo man has NEVER been its political/administrative head, and hence doesn't have equal stake in it with a northerner? Abeg no make me laugh.
Re: Kanu Launches N5b Cardiac Centre, Heart Surgery Test-run Begins by 9jaIhail(m): 9:05pm On Jun 23, 2012
sadyeek:

[/size]

And tomorrow you called them fools that cannot develop their lands,but now you are singing alanta because the project is going to your bia direction.I hope you don't speak ill of Igbos on this forum because i will remind you how you are singing alaluja for this project by the true son of Igbo.

(1) (Reply)

Charlie Boy Takes Picture In A Coffin / Patrick Obahiagbon's Take On FFK!!! Do You Agree? / Diezani Alison-Madueke's Sister Reportedly Kidnapped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.