Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,067 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:03 AM

There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! (19792 Views)

The Potential Of Wind Energy In Nigeria / How Sand Looks Like Under A Microscope Glass of 250 X Magnification (picture) / Contract For Installation Of Solar Energy In An Estate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jun 24, 2012
Nuclear fusion takes 4 H atoms and combines them to make 1 He atom. In the process, only 0.7% of the initial mass is converted into energy in accordance with e=mc^2. Fusion doesn't convert all mass to energy, only a small fraction. This site mentions the 0.7%:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fusion

This site is far more interesting.
We can calculate the 0.7%:
http://www.amnh.org/education/resources/rfl/web/einstenguide/activities/sun.html

From Answer 1, the masses involved in a single reaction are: initial: 4 x 1.673x10^(-27)kg = 6.692x10^(-27)kg
final: 1 x 6.645x10^(-27)kg
mass lost (converted): 6.692x10^(-27)kg - 6.645x10^
(-27)kg = 0.047x10^(-27)kg
percent lost: 0.047 / 6.692 x 100% = 0.702%
The above site also calculates the energy released from one reaction as: 4.3 x 10^(-12)J/reaction
Let's calculate: Assume the water consists of pure H2O. Assume further that it will be it will be separated into H & O. Ignore the energy involved in this
separation (it's minor). Assume all of the H (hydrogen) will be used in the fusion process.

How full is your glass of water?
Assume 8 fluid oz. There are about 29.57g/oz of water.
Mass of water in glass = 8 oz x 29.57g/oz = 76.56g
Number of water (H2O) molecules in the glass:
76.56g / (18.051g/mol) x 6.0221415×10^23 molecules/
mol
= 2.544x10^24 molecules H2O.Each molecule of water (H2O) has 2 hydrogen atoms. Number of hydrogen atoms in
the water: = 2.544x10^24 x 2 = 5.108x10^24molecules H
Four hydrogen atoms are used in each reaction. Number of reactions possible: 5.108x10^24molecules /4molecules/reaction = 1.277x10^24 reactions
Energy released: E = 1.277x10^24reactions x
4.3x10^(-12)J/reaction= 5.491x10^12 J
There are 3600000J per kWh. Energy released in terms of kWh: E = 5.491x10^12J / (3.6x10^6J/
kWh) = 1.524x10^6 kWh
Rounding the results, and converting to MWh and TWh:
E = 1500000kWh = 1500MWh = 1.5TWh
The 8 oz glass of water has about 1.5 Terra-Watthours (TWh) potential fusion energy.

To put this in perspective, the entire USA used about 4000 TWh in year 2010. That glass of water
would power: 1.524/4000 x 100% = 0.04% of the USA's need for 1 year. Or viewed another way, the number of glasses of water that it would take to power the USA
for one year is: 4000/1.524 = 2600 glasses (rounded)

There are over 2600 cities in the USA, so on the average, a glass of water would power more than 1 city.
Note that there are extreme difficulties containing a fusion reaction. It is not technically
feasible yet, but scientists are working on that problem.

Source(s): molar mass of water: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Properties_of_water
Electrical energy use in USA: http://205.254.135.7/totalenergy/data/annual/pdf/sec8_8.pdf

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by Nobody: 6:41am On Jun 25, 2012
What d'ya guys think? If the reaction can be contained, we can finally say goodbye to shoeless and his phcn cronies.
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by virgo(f): 10:23am On Jun 25, 2012
@Op Can you break it down in layman's terms? Not all of us are conversant with scientific language. smiley

1 Like

Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by Catlanta: 2:04pm On Jun 25, 2012
Nulear fusion? really! what movie did u just watch? In Nigeria? smh
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jun 25, 2012
virgo: @Op Can you break it down in layman's terms? Not all of us are conversant with scientific language. smiley
_
Water contains hydrogen, which can - and is being used to - generate energy. But that energy can only come about via nuclear fusion, hence the equations above. If you want a really layman explanation, see the bold part of my post:
the number of glasses of water that it would take to power the USA
for one year is: 4000/1.524 = 2600 glasses (rounded)
There are over 2600 cities in the USA, so on the average, a glass of water would power more than 1 city.
_
Ergo, applying nuclear fusion, a glass of water can power one city for one year. Geddit?
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jun 25, 2012
Catlanta: Nulear fusion? really! what movie did u just watch? In Nigeria? smh
_
Chain Reaction. But that doesn't mean it's not actionable, so don't diss.
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by Mynd44: 6:37pm On Jun 25, 2012
Great idea but how do you intend to contain it?
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jun 25, 2012
SimonAndal: Note that thereare extreme difficulties containing a fusion reaction. It is not technically
feasible yet, but scientists are working on that problem.
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jun 25, 2012
And I used the US as model 'cause I couldn't find power consumption statistics for Nigeria. No suprise there.
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by snthesis(m): 7:11pm On Jun 25, 2012
@op- Nuclear fusion aint the appropriate terminology

based on ur fuel source being water- the molecules needs to be split -molecular fission
next stop is to gather the H atoms, after which the Hydrogen atoms are bombarded to form He -Nuclear Fusion, thereby generating energy.

so basically what you are describing is a Molecular Fission + Nuclear Fusion reaction

part of the energy liberated from the nuclear fusion can be used to sustain the Molecular fission aspect thus leading to a continuous self sustaining reaction (if it were feasible) cool

1 Like

Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by Yujin(m): 9:36pm On Jun 25, 2012
OP, nice theoritical calculation but as you rightly pointed out the processes involved are yet to be perfected. Even when it is perfected, it shouldn't be for us. We are yet to tap that generated from nuclear fission and you are having high hopes on fusion which is more difficult.
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jun 25, 2012
If Nuclear fission can be contained, then the era of time machines are here and electricity will be 24/7 and free

1 Like

Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by sizzlers(m): 6:35am On Jun 26, 2012
this topic reminds me of alien movies, i think aliens are using the tech already making us 150 yr behind.
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by Nobody: 6:37am On Jun 26, 2012
Lol
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by Mynd44: 7:28am On Jun 26, 2012
Billyonaire: If Nuclear fission can be contained, then the era of time machines are here and electricity will be 24/7 and free
Funny
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by queensmith: 6:18pm On Jun 26, 2012
Billyonaire: If Nuclear fission can be contained, then the era of time machines are here and electricity will be 24/7 and free
lmao!
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by Nobody: 4:33am On Jun 27, 2012
I understand what the OP is talking about. A nuclear reactor shuld have been the best language to use in this sense. Just like in the movie "Iron Man" where Tony Stark used the model of the Nuclear Reactor in his factory which powered the whole of LA and made something smaller which he put on his chest to power the suit he was flying with.
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jun 28, 2012
^GET YOUR SCAMMING ARSE OUTTA MY THREAD!!!

1 Like

Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by OkekeChristian(m): 3:33pm On Jun 29, 2012
I'd quote-off-hand, a Nairalander's Personal Text;...
I'd want to live in Theory, because that's where everything is possible... OP, Geddit? grin
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jun 29, 2012
*yawns*

Water itself isn't in its pure state - which means the theory itself isn't feasible... undecided
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by codeaddict(m): 6:33pm On Jun 29, 2012
Not technically feasible yet? Enough speculations have come from scientists and only about 40% have been implemented.
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by vanstanzy(m): 6:54pm On Jun 29, 2012
SimonAndal: What d'ya guys think? If the reaction can be contained, we can finally say goodbye to shoeless and his phcn cronies.

Sweet, this is a great concept. But its going to be like trying to contain the enormous energy in 0.5 percent of a thunder flash.
Nuclear fusion has always been an interesting concept though. Do u know of any country using this technology though?
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by Olumen1907: 6:57pm On Jun 29, 2012
Imagination is a blueprint of real world......i jst hope dat ds theory come 2 reality, bt i pray it wont expose us 2 anoda problem. Coz all those people dat do invemting r majorly selfish,all dey want is pronouncement of their names irrespective of wat wil happened next.....i wish dem gudluck!
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by manny4life(m): 7:09pm On Jun 29, 2012
hmmmmm undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by ozoebuka1(m): 7:10pm On Jun 29, 2012
is it fusion or fission please if i can still remember, fusion deals with the addition of two molecules just to form a heavy one with a libration alot of energy and fission is the breaking up of a huge molecule just to form a two smaller once which is also accompanied by a huge release of energy... please @poster clarify me.. am sorry if i made any mistake.thanks
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by member10: 7:19pm On Jun 29, 2012
[size=13pt]guys I am looking for neodymium magnets, any ideas? Thanks.[/size]
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by kcsider: 7:19pm On Jun 29, 2012
wetin be all these gbatis gbatis?
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by mkpologwu(m): 7:20pm On Jun 29, 2012
Funso is very unstable! Scientists have also shown that the process that brought funso into existence is marred with adulteration or simply put: adultery!

1 Like

Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jun 29, 2012
Nuclear fusion will be possible. It's only a matter of time
Re: There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! by callydon(m): 7:56pm On Jun 29, 2012
eeemmhhh
There's a lot of assumptions in dis theory ooh... Dats one of d reasons I HATE chemistry,always assuming. Up till now,they are still talkin abt an "Ideal Gas" which is by d way also an assumption.
Mtcheeeew

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wande Adalemo - From University Dropout To ICT Millionaire / Ugliest Dog's Competition Photos / Pls What Is Work Of Turbo On 5000 Watts Century Stabilizer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.