Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,773 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria (12700 Views)

Top 10 Countries With Highest Divorce Rate In 2014 / What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? / High Increase In Divorce Rate In Our Society: Women The Cause, Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by supereagle(m): 11:09pm On Jun 24, 2012
Some lawyers in Lagos on Sunday identified poverty, lack of love and desperation as reasons for the high rate of divorce in country.

The lawyers, said that most people go into marriage without prior knowledge of marriage.

One of the lawyers, Mr Linus Okwara, explained that desperation, especially on the part of the female folks, was a major cause of divorce.

“Most young women feel, it is a must to get married at an early age while the older ones cannot stand the stigma of not being married.

“Therefore, they enter into marriages not minding what it may cost because they must get married,’’ Okwara said.

He further said that some women, in their desperation avoid marriage counselling and courtship so that the man would not change his mind.

Mrs Nkechi Amanambu, a legal practitioner, said that some families due to poverty give away their female children in order to make some money.

“Parents who cannot afford to train their female children give them out for marriage so that it could fetch them money.

“They don’t care about what the child feels or wants for herself. They force her into an unwanted or unplanned marital life,’’ Amanambu said.

Amanambu, however, said that such couple would opt for a divorce by the time they realised that the union was against their will.

Mr Peter Ayodele, another lawyer, said that some men and women did not understand that love was the primary basis for workable marriage.

“Some marriages lack love. If a marriage has love as its foundation, as in the Christian and Islamic doctrine; couples would stay together `for better and for not as good as,’’ he said.

Ayodele also explained that the problem was rampant with women because most divorce suit had women as petitioners.

“Most women, especially the career ones, would want to rub shoulders with their husbands; they are not ready to compromise or stoop down for their spouses.

“And men are naturally egoistic, once their wives start giving them such challenges in their marital decisions; there would be conflicts which might lead to divorce.’’

He also cited social pressure as another major cause of divorce, saying that most girls go into marriages because of money and social status of the husband to be in the society.

“Once they go into the marriage with such mindset, whenever anything affects the position, they want to seek divorce because they are not ready to absorb the ups and downs of marriage,’’

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/06/lawyers-lament-high-rate-of-divorce-in-nigeria/
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by 47vidscom: 9:52am On Jun 25, 2012
Its a shame really, that they is high divorce rate, but what can we do. If its not meant to happen nko?...its better than them fighting/beating each other everyday.47vids.com (Naija website)

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Andrew3(m): 9:53am On Jun 25, 2012
yes, when the marriages are not based on love but political, financial
and avaricious purposes.
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by ODB1: 9:55am On Jun 25, 2012
this should be a good thing for lawyers. The NBA should look at a minimum charge for divorce cases

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Korrection(m): 9:57am On Jun 25, 2012
we are trying to be like the west...no moral uprightness anymore...the e- era has finished us...you need to see what the youths are doing with the so called phones and all...snapping..filming themselves while making love...spreading it all over the place...when you raise up the issue youll be attacked...you see people telling you..you are achaic ...i wish we could go back to our root where respect is paramount...no girl wants to live with a farmer but thats the real thing....i will never marry a modern day girl...i think a girl of my age will be better....lol

3 Likes

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by MrCork17: 10:00am On Jun 25, 2012
so do they return all the goats and cows they donated? undecided

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by SunnyChus(m): 10:01am On Jun 25, 2012
Building and maintaining a healthy marriage is not that easy. It needs a lot of efforts and enough time. Both the partners should equally take efforts to make their marital relationship enjoyable and comfortable.Marriage is a very precious and important commitment.However, only living together is not a sign of successful marriage.Successful marriage means commitment, caring and tolerance for each other. It is responsibility of both partners to make their marital relation healthy and cheerful.You can make your marriage a healthy and successful affair for years.
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Korrection(m): 10:05am On Jun 25, 2012
Thank you very much

SunnyChus: Building and maintaining a healthy marriage is not that easy. It needs a lot of efforts and enough time. Both the partners should equally take efforts to make their marital relationship enjoyable and comfortable.Marriage is a very precious and important commitment.However, only living together is not a sign of successful marriage.Successful marriage means commitment, caring and tolerance for each other. It is responsibility of both partners to make their marital relation healthy and cheerful.You can make your marriage a healthy and successful affair for years.
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Austindark(m): 10:07am On Jun 25, 2012
i expected notin less. women are just too rapacious dis and i dont tink men can cope wit their rapacity.

no harm meant[img]
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by AtheistD(m): 10:09am On Jun 25, 2012
Korrection: we are trying to be like the west...no moral uprightness anymore...the e- era has finished us...you need to see what the youths are doing with the so called phones and all...snapping..filming themselves while making love...spreading it all over the place...when you raise up the issue youll be attacked...you see people telling you..you are achaic ...i wish we could go back to our root where respect is paramount...no girl wants to live with a farmer but thats the real thing....i will never marry a modern day girl...i think a girl of my age will be better....lol

The youth of today are a scary bunch grin

I believe the divorce rate is a global trend. Divorce rates are rising globally. It is mostly to do with female education and empowerment. Most women are not ready to sit ina marriage and take all that comes their way. They expect equal treatment and hence are more likely to push for divorce when they see that it isn't so.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:10am On Jun 25, 2012
Korrection: we are trying to be like the west...no moral uprightness anymore...the e- era has finished us...you need to see what the youths are doing with the so called phones and all...snapping..filming themselves while making love...spreading it all over the place...when you raise up the issue youll be attacked...you see people telling you..you are achaic ...i wish we could go back to our root where respect is paramount...no girl wants to live with a farmer but thats the real thing....i will never marry a modern day girl...i think a girl of my age will be better....lol
Care to explain the bold emphasis, I totally agree with you on how morals and values are gradually eroding from the fabric of the minds of most young people.
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Dyt(f): 10:11am On Jun 25, 2012
Austindark: i expected notin less. women are just too rapacious dis and i dont tink men can cope wit their rapacity.

no harm meant[img]

and men are?
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by CeaserB: 10:13am On Jun 25, 2012
The bachelors are not getting old enough to marry (forever young)
The spinsters are over-grown young ladies (old mama youngy)
The married men are fed up of sticking their pen in thesame office (they need to branch out)
The married women are fed up of trying to sacrifice so much for a weak man (they need satisfaction)
The closeness between Parents and Children is like Strangers/Visitors.
...The entire state of the nation Is heading for a crash course, marriages are bent to suffer. We can only do best to keep trying to save ours.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:16am On Jun 25, 2012
i still insist bride price should be removed, and the monetary cost of wedding should be taken 50:50 by both parties, s that the women can divorce , without d men thinking of how much they spent. im not even a fan of this marriage thing sef

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 25, 2012
CeaserB: The bachelors are not getting old enough to marry (forever young)
The spinsters are over grown young ladies (old mama youngy)
The married men are fed up of sticking their pen in thesame office (they need to branch out)
The married women are fed up of trying to sacrifice so much for a weak man (they need satisfaction)
The closeness between Parents and Children is like Strangers/Visitors.
...The entire state of the nation Is heading for a crash course, marriages are bent to suffer. We can only do best to keep trying to save it.
lol sounds like a script for a movie but it is reality in some quarters. embarassed
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Korrection(m): 10:20am On Jun 25, 2012
lari03:
Care to explain the bold emphasis, I totally agree with you on how morals and values are gradually eroding from the fabric of the minds of most young people.

I met a girl sometime ago and ask her if she is on facebook...she said no..wow!!..i asked for her phone number..she brought out an old nokia phone..gave her number out to me...then i left...called her two days later she said she is at work...i asked where do you work..she said im a computer scientist and a lecturer..wow..i asked her age...she quoted 3 years back my age...are you married ..she said no...i picked up interest...we are good friends now and im planning to get her to be mine..im still scared cos thats what im looking for....educated but without the modern day swag...we are just old school...lol...

2 Likes

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Austindark(m): 10:20am On Jun 25, 2012
Dyt:

and men are?
always at their best or wat do you expect wink
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by CastleandGreen: 10:23am On Jun 25, 2012
supereagle: Some lawyers in Lagos on Sunday identified poverty, lack of love and desperation as reasons for the high rate of divorce in country.

The lawyers, said that most people go into marriage without prior knowledge of marriage.

One of the lawyers, Mr Linus Okwara, explained that desperation, especially on the part of the female folks, was a major cause of divorce.

“Most young women feel, it is a must to get married at an early age while the older ones cannot stand the stigma of not being married.

“Therefore, they enter into marriages not minding what it may cost because they must get married,’’ Okwara said.

He further said that some women, in their desperation avoid marriage counselling and courtship so that the man would not change his mind.

Mrs Nkechi Amanambu, a legal practitioner, said that some families due to poverty give away their female children in order to make some money.

“Parents who cannot afford to train their female children give them out for marriage so that it could fetch them money.

“They don’t care about what the child feels or wants for herself. They force her into an unwanted or unplanned marital life,’’ Amanambu said.

Amanambu, however, said that such couple would opt for a divorce by the time they realised that the union was against their will.

Mr Peter Ayodele, another lawyer, said that some men and women did not understand that love was the primary basis for workable marriage.

“Some marriages lack love. If a marriage has love as its foundation, as in the Christian and Islamic doctrine; couples would stay together `for better and for not as good as,’’ he said.

Ayodele also explained that the problem was rampant with women because most divorce suit had women as petitioners.

“Most women, especially the career ones, would want to rub shoulders with their husbands; they are not ready to compromise or stoop down for their spouses.

“And men are naturally egoistic, once their wives start giving them such challenges in their marital decisions; there would be conflicts which might lead to divorce.’’

He also cited social pressure as another major cause of divorce, saying that most girls go into marriages because of money and social status of the husband to be in the society.

“Once they go into the marriage with such mindset, whenever anything affects the position, they want to seek divorce because they are not ready to absorb the ups and downs of marriage,’’

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/06/lawyers-lament-high-rate-of-divorce-in-nigeria/
I really don't think that marriage is a must
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by ggood: 10:24am On Jun 25, 2012
our young girls goes to marriage because of money
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by CeaserB: 10:27am On Jun 25, 2012
lari03:
lol sounds like a script for a movie but it is reality in some quarters. embarassed

The modern family life is inspired by what we see in movies. Back in the days movies were inspired by family lifestyles.
Seems we all want to live the life of the movies. (Most of us I think).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by ayox2003: 10:28am On Jun 25, 2012
Its boils down to parental guidiance. Good parents train their kids irrespective of the social "trends". And bad parents find excuses to pamper their kids.

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by slimming: 10:28am On Jun 25, 2012
It is alarm really.
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by trigar12(m): 10:30am On Jun 25, 2012
No more money=no more love
MODEL- via Nokia 3110
OS- java
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by SpiritofOkija(m): 10:30am On Jun 25, 2012
The Last time i was in court to sign some affidevits, the clerks were discussing about different marriage annulmets and my jaws dropped as the stories were just unbelievable..

Its a good thing sha.. No more being trapped in unwanted marriages..

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by wowo2: 10:34am On Jun 25, 2012
supereagle: The lawyers, said that most people go into marriage without prior knowledge of marriage

that is to say without prior or past experience lipsrsealed
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:34am On Jun 25, 2012
Am nt suprised notin is new in naija, na only rubbish we dey adopt.
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by microgiant: 10:40am On Jun 25, 2012
CeaserB:

The modern family life is inspired by what we see in movies. Back in the days movies were inspired by family lifestyles.
Seems we all want to live the life of the movies. (Most of us I think).

Correct, most times the ladies understand the movies upside down.
Also the movies always portrays extremes, rich lady marrying a poor guy or poor girl marrying a rich guy thereby changing her status.
Most times, the conclusion of the movies is the poor guy disappoints the rich girl or girl from rich background.

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by nerodenero: 10:48am On Jun 25, 2012
Little wonder the whole world is in a mess!when the family fails,then,the world must fail.

2 Likes

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by nerodenero: 10:49am On Jun 25, 2012
Little wonder the society is in a mess!when the family fails being the foundation,then the society is in trouble.

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by vanstanzy(m): 10:52am On Jun 25, 2012
supereagle: Some lawyers in Lagos on Sunday identified poverty, lack of love and desperation as reasons for the high rate of divorce in country.

And Pastor Chris Okotie leads the pack.

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:54am On Jun 25, 2012
yet some f00ls come up here telling us marriage is the best thing since the invention of electricity. lying mfkers angry angry angry angry
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Nimakor: 10:56am On Jun 25, 2012
dvdon: Am nt suprised notin is new in naija, na only rubbish we dey adopt.
gee! I beg to differ. Hw is divorce a bad tin. U kidding me?It cud come in handy...lifesaver.not every breakup is a bad tin. Afterall life goes on. Ooopsie! Breakup hurts.lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Good Primary And Secondary Schools In Ejigbo/ajao Estate, Lagos. / My New Wife Masturbates / How Has Fatherhood Changed You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.