Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,406 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria (12703 Views)

Top 10 Countries With Highest Divorce Rate In 2014 / What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? / High Increase In Divorce Rate In Our Society: Women The Cause, Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by damilola15: 10:57am On Jun 25, 2012
Sad as it is, but the only thing constant in change.

People change.
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by justwise(m): 10:58am On Jun 25, 2012
Korrection: we are trying to be like the west...no moral uprightness anymore...the e- era has finished us...you need to see what the youths are doing with the so called phones and all...snapping..filming themselves while making love...spreading it all over the place...when you raise up the issue youll be attacked...you see people telling you..you are achaic ...i wish we could go back to our root where respect is paramount...no girl wants to live with a farmer but thats the real thing....i will never marry a modern day girl...i think a girl of my age will be better....lol

What moral right do you have to talk about moral? If you don't see anything wrong with bunch of yahoo yahoos stealing from innocent people how can you preach moral here?
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 11:08am On Jun 25, 2012
When many people who cannot even raise dogs marry when they don't have the capacity to start a family.
[size=28pt]
Why marry when you are immature and insecure?!
Marriage is more than having children.
Marriage is an integral part of nation building.
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 11:11am On Jun 25, 2012
Not surprised.
People have been getting married lately for highly pathetic and ridiculous reasons.Men marry a lady solely cos 'thr kpekus is sooo good',shes fair complexioned,shes a great cook,shes from a rich home while the women marry cos the dude has a fat wallet.all superficial and change with time then the "real" personality manifests and they cry wolf.Looking around sef,I doubt if marriage is meant for everyone.Some are great at being called 'uncle and aunty' and would still make a horrible 'dad ormom',some are super as 'lover,mistress,booycall' but would suck as a 'wife or husband'.
Life would be much easier if we stop placing emphasis on this marriage ish.I'm however happy being and staying married.
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by MrLee(m): 11:12am On Jun 25, 2012
I think majority of the problem comes 4rm d men cus at d begining of d marriage (women) were not told d truth and the woman did not know d man she married.
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by achi4u(m): 11:33am On Jun 25, 2012
women should cut their coat according to their size.

naija films have destroy alot of family.
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Kakatazz(f): 11:36am On Jun 25, 2012
Ever since we as Africans decided to abandone our cultural values and follow that of the western world,we have been faced by so many issues in our land.The wife is supposed to be respectful to her husband no matter the circumstance,that is the African value.

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by akpanbaba: 11:39am On Jun 25, 2012
The problem about this marriage is that while some women are struggling to come out of marriages others are sowing seedfaith,attending night vigils or using love charm just to get husbands.My take is, things have not been the same after beijing conference.
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by na2day(m): 11:40am On Jun 25, 2012
Women really need to cool down!
I'm not a chauvinist, but all these female liberation shi.t, trying to be like the westerners will continue
to shoot the rate of divorce northwards cool
All hail the female lib! grin

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Abagworo(m): 12:01pm On Jun 25, 2012
The major reason which people are shying away from is very high prevalence of lesbianism in Nigerian society. Most women have lost their value for sex, men and love.
Quite unlike lesbianism which is popular among women, homosexuality has not gained acceptance among men.

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by tunapawizzy: 12:19pm On Jun 25, 2012
Our tradition and society places an exxagerated importance on Marriage. To make matters worse society makes it look like an unmarried woman at 30 n above is a failure, a bitch, a useless woman n our ladies have to rush in2 marriage to escape all dese perceptions. D earlier people esp ladies start detaching their ultimate happiness from getting married at all cost, the higher dia chances of escaping pain from broken marriages. As for me, no be by force. If marriage comes at 30 or 40 or 50 or even if it never comes.. As far as I am happy with myself, f**k d socitey.

4 Likes

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by bukatyne(f): 12:23pm On Jun 25, 2012
i believe many factors re responsible for this. 1. women re coming to d realization that they don't need to be called mrs. b4 they are humans. don't get me wrong, i'm not against marriage infact, i cherish it but we can't compare d nonsense our foremothers endured just to be called married. a lot of women of old NEVER enjoyed their marriages, they endured it. now women re more empowered and less dependent on a man. 2. a lot of people married for the wrong reasons. 3. a lot of people re not ready to sacrifice/invest in their relationship esp men. they want one partner esp women to forgo their dreams n ambitions forgettin that it's a 2 way thing 4. some pple re not prepared to work hard n commit for their marriage to work out. they notice a change in their spouse, instead of finding out wat caused it i.e. if it's a new action or a reaction to their current action, they just throw d vowel cos divorce is within easy reach. they don't fight for their marriage. 5. people re not ready to follow biblical principles 6. inlaws over poke their big noses into the affairs of d couple n many more

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by victoronah4real: 12:24pm On Jun 25, 2012
Hence d problem is still growing den lawyers should involve marriage course for d couple before wedding them.
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jun 25, 2012
lol @ adopted western life style grin grin grin
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by vanstanzy(m): 12:42pm On Jun 25, 2012
Babzilla: yet some f00ls come up here telling us marriage is the best thing since the invention of electricity. lying mfkers angry angry angry angry

Am sick and tired of this, can't we all just get along without calling others offensive names, ehn?
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by vanstanzy(m): 12:47pm On Jun 25, 2012
victoronah4real: Hence d problem is still growing den lawyers should involve marriage course for d couple before wedding them.

Divorce lawyers are even the BIGGER problem. They'll give u a million and one reasons why u should go ahead with it, and what u stand to gain from it and not what u'ld loose. Divorce is BIG business for these lawyers.
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by tessyade: 1:10pm On Jun 25, 2012
Korrection: we are trying to be like the west...no moral uprightness anymore...the e- era has finished us...you need to see what the youths are doing with the so called phones and all...snapping..filming themselves while making love...spreading it all over the place...when you raise up the issue youll be attacked...you see people telling you..you are achaic ...i wish we could go back to our root where respect is paramount...no girl wants to live with a farmer but thats the real thing....i will never marry a modern day girl...i think a girl of my age will be better....lol
I agree with you completely.
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by ziccoit: 1:14pm On Jun 25, 2012
Majorities are into wedding not marriage nowadays. Partners are also abound while husbands and wives are very rare.
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by vanstanzy(m): 1:18pm On Jun 25, 2012
Orikinla: When many people who cannot even raise dogs marry when they don't have the capacity to start a family.
[size=28pt]
Why marry when you are immature and insecure?!
Marriage is more than having children.
Marriage is an integral part of nation building.
[/size]

GBAM!!! God embarrass you with numerous blessings for saying this. "UR HEAD DEY THERE"
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Hope6289(f): 2:01pm On Jun 25, 2012
Hmmm, marry your friend
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by AzaMontana(f): 3:23pm On Jun 25, 2012
Many people get married in their 20s because they are under pressure. It seems the human mind has it that marriage before 30 is good and many are scared that they will grow old alone or be late to have kids, but i have noticed that all those who get married in their 20s because of pressure always divorce in their late 30s or 40s then they are scared of trying again and they end up growing old. I would rather chase money while in my 20s and also try to find myself the when i am all rich and matured having all the stranght to deal with the ups and downs of marriage, then i can get married. For christians its mostly because they fear having sex before marriage but sex should not be the basis of marriage becuase it is just flesh inspired. Maybe if one would get that 1 bf or gf they love and respect then spend your youth with him so that you can make love ( only that 1) then your mind will be clear and you will not be under pressure for marriage. Marriage is not for kids folks

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by 9lifes(m): 3:44pm On Jun 25, 2012
When men had the power to protect their homes they abused it,now women are empowered they are too enjoying it,effect-confusion.

The problem with Nigerians is that they don't know how to mind their business,putting pressure on everyone.And mass ignorance is not even helping matters.
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by GboyegaD(m): 5:06pm On Jun 25, 2012
I think the major reasons for the increasing rate in divorce is because many people who get married do not understand what marriage is all about and also, many have been made to interprete infatuation as love forgetting that love grows while infatuation last for just a while.
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by dwas: 5:33pm On Jun 25, 2012
Its is not a strange thing. We can't keep going against God's word and expect things to be normal.
Women are to subject to their own husband. Infact the bible says their desire shall be to their husband. Gen 3 v 16. Don't forget that satan has always been going against God and woman has made themselves available for satan use. Today you hear of woman revolution, woman libration and so on. Questions, were they ever been in bondage? You can't be in a boat heading toward light house then you tell the light house to move for you to go through. You know the result will be a crashed boat. You can break principle, rather you are the one that will suffer it. Paul apostle says women should keep silent in the church. Queen vashti was replace because she disobey her husband. Infact the chief urged the king to sanction her immediately so that their own wife at home will not take after the queen step. Check out the women that are enjoying their marriage, you will realise that they those who stay in the position where God placed them.

Anyway, its endtime. Repent and turn to God. Respect him. Also you man, love her. The love that does not expect anything in return. That is the only kind of love that can win even the hardest woman. God bless you all

3 Likes

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jun 25, 2012
I think if you are getting married there must be a reason:COMPATIBILTY, not because everyone is doing it, or all your mates and pals have walked up to the altar, it should be because you have found someone whom you want to spend the rest of your life with,someone who can be there for you when you need an audience, someone who can cope with your insecurities and failings because he or she also understands that no one is perfect.Compatibility defines what holds the couple together,it could be GOD, or fashion, or clubbing
If you marry because you have been together for years, but underneath there was no trust and honesty in the relationship,when the truth comes to the fore, divorce may seem like the best option, but really Endurance and Tolerance is what makes a marriage last and so if people don't come to terms with that, then it's most likely that the marriage will fail.
I know many relationships where the guy is a cheat and the woman stays around because of the sex, there are also relationships where the girl is loose,but because she is pretty the guy does not want to let go, these kinds of relationships are not the best to take to the altar, because if you do,trouble will arise when you want to change someone who never wanted to change in the first place.
And if I may add, a lot of people are not honest and it doesn't help,issues like sexuality and habits must be thoroughly discussed and understood before people go into marriages, cos like it or not Infidelity is an issue in marriage, it defies the very logic behind marriage, so anyone who is reading this and you are single, or about to get hitched up, talk,talk and talk with your spouse and make sure there is compatibility before tying the knot.

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by dasparrow: 7:01pm On Jun 25, 2012
dwas: Its is not a strange thing. We can't keep going against God's word and expect things to be normal.
Women are to subject to their own husband. Infact the bible says their desire shall be to their husband. Gen 3 v 16. Don't forget that satan has always been going against God and woman has made themselves available for satan use. Today you hear of woman revolution, woman libration and so on. Questions, were they ever been in bondage? You can't be in a boat heading toward light house then you tell the light house to move for you to go through. You know the result will be a crashed boat. You can break principle, rather you are the one that will suffer it. Paul apostle says women should keep silent in the church. Queen vashti was replace because she disobey her husband. Infact the chief urged the king to sanction her immediately so that their own wife at home will not take after the queen step. Check out the women that are enjoying their marriage, you will realise that they those who stay in the position where God placed them.

Anyway, its endtime. Repent and turn to God. Respect him. Also you man, love her. The love that does not expect anything in return. That is the only kind of love that can win even the hardest woman. God bless you all

I agree with most of what you said but you were partial in your post. You were quick to point out bible passages that favour men but spoke very little of biblical passages that commands the man to love his wife like Christ loved the church (Ephesians 5:25-30). Marraiges are no doubt falling apart at an alarming rate but the blame cannot go to the women alone. Most women who are loved, treated well and respected will do anything for their husbands. Sadly, a society like Nigeria makes it very hard for women. Permit me to explain in the following paragraphs.

First, you have Nigerian men who .s.exu/ally molest and .ra/pe little girls at a very young age. Girls as young as 2 years old. That single act alone leaves a lasting psycological scar on the victim even into adulthood. Nigerian society does not give harsh penalties to perverts or .s/e.x offenders if any at all. Child molestation is prevalent in Nigeria and we have alot of .ra/pe cases in our societies. You may ask, what has this to do with divorce? alot I say! A female child or adult who was molested or .se/xually abused will have a skewed or poor perception of the opposite gender. She may not be able to enjoy intimacy which is an integral part of marraige and this might lead to the marraige breaking down.

Next we have the high infidelity rate amongst Nigerian men because Nigerian culture does not frown at married men who cheat on their wives. This in turn encourages men to stay [b]un[/b]faithful to their wives. A man who loves his wife like Christ loves the church will not jeopardize his health AND the health of his wife by sleeping around. He will not do anything to hurt his wife's feelings because a man who genuinely loves his wife will never go out of his way to hurt her no matter the circumstance.

A woman married to a cheat or abuser will find it increasingly difficult to submit to her husband because her husband defies everything marraige stands for. As a matter of fact, the bible permits divorce on grounds of infidelity. How many Nigerian men married for 25 years or more can trully say they have been faithful to their wives the whole time especially in a country like Nigeria were infidelity by men is not frowned upon and where many men sleep and pregnate their female house maids at alarming rates?

Lastly, Nigerian culture is overwhelmingly very wicked to women. You preach submissiveness but I know enough Nigerian men who were married to good, submissive wives but because the said wife did not bear him a male child, he chose to commit adultary outside his matrimonial home. The same can be said for men whose wives have not been able to conceive. Did the bible not say for better for worse? Where does the bible permit a man to sleep with and impregnate another woman all because his wife bore him all female children or no children at all? But this act is VERY prevalent or common in Nigerian society.

Most Nigerian christians only want to follow biblical instructions selectively and that is not what God wants. When you love your wife like Christ loves the church, you will keep your vows to her whether she gives you male children or not. You will stick by her regardless of what man made African tradition dictates. Even if she does not bear you any children, you will stick by her. How many Nigerian men stick by their wives if the woman does not bear him atleast one male child?

You can't serve God and mammon at the same time. You can't follow man made African tradition and God's laws and standards too. You have to choose where you stand because often times, God's laws and man made laws and traditions contradict themselves. As far as I am concerned, divorce rates will continue to soar in Nigeria because the men never learnt what it trully means to love a woman like Christ loves the church. If you think that this present generation of ladies will go through the hell, pain, sorrow, tears, maltreatment, abuse, and infidelity that our mothers, grandmothers and great grandmothers experienced in their marraiges, then you're gravely mistaken. Times have changed and there is no going back.

4 Likes

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by nunicelady(f): 7:01pm On Jun 25, 2012
We need to know what people go thru!
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by aniscoblue: 8:49pm On Jun 25, 2012
i think marriage shld not be a cage cos is meant to be joyful but most people are in a cage in name of marriage if u can,t stay becos of a good reason is better u call it off . bt our mentality here in nigeria is that we must stay in a marriage that we are not confortable just becos of wot people will say.that is y i like American,s they dont play with their hapinees once they are no longer happy with their marriage they will go for a divorce

but i think our parents also contribute in pushing their children getting married just becos they want she/he to get married becos of one nonsense reason after that he or she will nt be confortable which lead most of marriage to divorce.

parents are the major course of high rate of divorce
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by dwas: 9:04pm On Jun 25, 2012
@dasparrow.
I agree with you completely. Men that do such should be ashame of themslves. I am not perfect either way. I have made lots of mistakes in my marriage. I wish I could turn back the hand time, I will definately treat her better inspite of her many short coming. But God does not delight in divoice. He wants commitments. But both side must play their role as ordained by God not human wisdom. The day the hand say it want to do the work of the leg, there will problem. All part of the body function togther to make a life easy for human systems. Each of them performing their own function. God bless you my dear.
Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Naijaklef: 9:27pm On Jun 25, 2012
@dasparrow,
If a man with a loving wife decide to cheat on her, are u saying d best thing 
To do is fight d husband or disgrace d husband or move out or divorce?
I agree d man is wrong by cheating but can two wrong make a right?
Can a man harrassed by his wife love her more?

In my opinion, d media has played more damaging role than good.
Media created a whole of false impression about marriage. It created
A marriage without stress or pain. It created d impression dat divorce is no
Big deal!  E.g d kardashains story. 
A lot of couples go into marriage with d blissful intention and Wen issues start coming up...they crumble and fall becos d marriage was built false ideas
Created by media.

We all, have abandon our cultural values and decided to follow WHITE MAN
Ideas of marriage becos we want to b civilized. 
Dat fine! Civilization and liberation come with a price.... D price most couple pay for liberation is divorce!!!

Let think of it... We assume dat oyibo man knows better ...hence we emulate everything dey offer. D question is ....wats r d divorce rates in US and UK These people have lost all d family values.
Divorce rate in Nigeria will continue to go up if we don't change our mentality
About copying western culture dat has failed.

we all talk about divorce and marriage. However, nobody talks about how we have influenced marriages negatively by our advices and comments....

TALK IS CHEAP..... LET US ALL INFLUENCE ONE MARRIAGE
POSITIVELY BY OUR ATITUDE, COMMENTS!

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Whymee: 10:09pm On Jun 25, 2012
ggood: our young girls goes to marriage because of money

Don't blame them, these are result of the nollywood product.
If most of this nollywood movie can be sensored and act toward correcting bad attitude in the society,
I think this will surely go a long way to reduce the alarming rate of divorce.

BE WISE

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Has Fatherhood Changed You? / What Tactics Do Parents Employ To Stop Their Kids From Bedwetting? / My New Wife Masturbates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.