Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,939 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers (4974 Views)

Lagos Houses To-let Mainland/island / FG’s Mortgage Scheme Kicked Off With First Set Of 10,000 Houses / Hot Lagos Houses For Sale: 08033071649 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by GboyegaD(m): 2:34pm On Jun 26, 2012
OlaAjia:

I thought we were talking about this project specifically? In any case, this is a fallacious request. You're the one making the claim, so the burden of proof is on you, not me.

I take it you've only been to few places then? Yes, my claim is correct. Moreover, before you suggest less amount, do you know the amount that's being channeled into it in the first place and how this amount is planned to be used? Here again, you seem to presume this project is not intended at improving the lives of residents and I cannot understand why this is so.

A lot of effort is being made in transportation. The BRT scheme for example, doesn't seem like an elitist project to me. Lagos is also currently working around the clock to realise its light-rail project which will further crash the cost of transportation and this is apart from the inland water dredging to expand the reach of ferry transportation too. The expansion of the Apapa-Oshodi express way is an ongoing project too. Again, this is not an elitist project. Also, the recently passed tenancy law in the state doesn't seem much like an elitist policy to me. There are many more which I can't list now but can easily be researched. I think you can get further details from the State's official website for ongoing, completed and planned projects.

As regards the bolded above, I cannot fathom why you would think an information database should presuppose the presence of unique identifications when in fact, without these unique numbers, a comprehensive database cannot exist. My educated assumption is that this project is necessitated exactly for the purpose of keeping an accurate, extensive database of the state's residences and by extension, its residents. This project, if properly executed, will address major challenges known and unknown. I implore you to reconsider your position in light of this.

I would like to bring to your notice is that the FG is the one responsible for any ongoing work on the Apapa Oshodi Expressway and not Lagos State as you claimed. Your argument about the unique numbers being a basis for a comprehensive database seems so unrealistic to me. They are numbering the houses and not gathering residency information thus, one can always lay claim to various existing addresses at different times so how does that address individual information database? The only benefit which I see in this project is that it could aid planning in terms of infrastructural development however, what have been our attitude about this in the past years?

And for the rail project, I can attest to you that is a good move and I have no bias against him whatsoever but priority I think should be considered in reaching decisions on project to embark upon.
Re: 700,000 Lagos Houses To Get New Numbers by OlaAjia(m): 10:33pm On Jun 26, 2012
GboyegaD:

I would like to bring to your notice is that the FG is the one responsible for any ongoing work on the Apapa Oshodi Expressway and not Lagos State as you claimed. Your argument about the unique numbers being a basis for a comprehensive database seems so unrealistic to me. They are numbering the houses and not gathering residency information thus, one can always lay claim to various existing addresses at different times so how does that address individual information database?

And for the rail project, I can attest to you that is a good move and I have no bias against him whatsoever but priority I think should be considered in reaching decisions on project to embark upon.

My bad, I meant the Lagos-Badagry expressway, not Apapa-Oshodi (I got them mixed up for some reason)

GboyegaD, I don't know why the purpose of a unique numbering system seems to elude you but I'll elaborate further anyway.
I'm not sure if you've read the FAQ of the project, if you check under the section "What are the benefits to numbering my house", LASAA lists those benefits as quoted below:

LASAA:
- Provision of a convenient, accurate and systematic means of property identification for owners, residents and visitors.

- Facilitation of emergency response by fire, police, rescue and other emergency services.

- Establishment of property identification that will serve as mail delivery addresses.

- Proper delivery of public utility and other services.

- Acquisition of data required for better Government planning purposes.

[REF1] While the benefits of this project aren't limited to those stated above, certainly, you can appreciate that these benefits heavily depend on having a comprehensive database of residences in the state. I hope you can also see that without an exercise that gives all residences in the state unified, well-structure and well-organised numbering systems, a comprehensive database of these residences will be extremely difficult, if not impossible to develop.

[REF2] Now, you may ask, where does Lagos state fit into all these? Well, the only practically possible way to have a unified well-structure and well-organised numbering system without overlapping interests, contradictions and redundancy is that the planning for it is executed by a single entity, and the only entity that is authorised to do this is the Lagos state government through its advertisement and signs agency, LASAA. Also, it will be done entirely free of charge for the residents (So LASSA says anyway), so no qualms here.

Let me give you a scenario that reinforces the points made in [REF1] above:
5:30PM on Monday, Rasaki had just arrived home from work. On his arrival, he finds a fume of black smoke rising from his kitchen window. He peeps through and finds fire which has almost entirely consumed his kitchen originating from his electrical cooker's socket, Rasaki has many valuable assets in his house and he is worried that should the fire spread, it'll consume everything inside so he brings out his phone, and quickly dial's 767 (Lagos emergency number).

767 dispatcher: Hello, how may I help you?
Rasaki: Please help....I need help, my house is burning down
Dispatcher: OK Sir, please calm down and give me your name and address.
Rasaki: My name is Rasaki Olowopupo and my address is 86, Alh. Olusesi rd, Okota, Lagos.
Dispatcher: OK, I have transferred your details to fire services.

Thankfully, in the fire services truck, a GPS device is fitted, and all they need do is type in 86, Alh. Olusesi rd, Okota, Lagos, and GBAM, it seamlessly directs them exactly to Rasaki's front gate without any road misses or lengthy calls to verify the next turns. They put out the fire, at just the right time before it spreads, Rasaki is a happy man, and the Fire services guys are feeling like BOSS heroes...WIN-WIN for all.

The above described scenario is only possible with a comprehensive database of addresses. GPS systems, which are just over glorified calculators really, wouldn't work if there was no unique and definitive way of identifying locations. I hope this scenario has shown you just one of the many benefits of the project.

GboyegaD:
The only benefit which I see in this project is that it could aid planning in terms of infrastructural development however, what have been our attitude about this in the past years?

... but priority I think should be considered in reaching decisions on project to embark upon.

As for the above quote, I hope you have now seen that the benefits go way beyond infrastructural development planning now. In any case, even if that were the only benefit, asking the question you asked smacks of lack of objectivity! You seem to be suggesting that because we haven't got things right in past years, we should have a totally cynical attitude towards any subsequent attempts made to get them done, or maybe we should just not try at all again. That's what you question implies to me. Maybe you can explain what you meant better.

You talk about priority, but you haven't offered any meaningful suggestions. First, why do you think this project is not of high priority? Secondly, what project(s) would you suggest should precede this one, which isn't already being worked on. Finally, your talk of priority suggests government is doing things one by one, whereas, I have demonstrated in my previous post that this is not the case. They are in fact, working on many simultaneous projects, so what else do you have against this project GboyegaD?

(1) (2) (Reply)

For Your POP Ceiling, Wall/deck Screeding, ARK & PILLAR Design / Properties At Roxbury Homes, Lekki Lagos State. / Dont Missed Out On This Titled Plots @ Ibeju Lekki Just 7mins From Sea Port 2m/p

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.