Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,817 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff (10873 Views)

Fitc Interview: Mainstreet Bank / Diamond Bank Sacks Over 100 Workers / Mainstreet Bank Graduate Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by xrazzy(m): 5:20pm On Jun 25, 2012
The management of Mainsteet Bank Plc (formerly Afribank Plc)has terminated the appointment of over 650 staff in its employ.

The exercise took place last Friday through the electronic mails of the affected workers comprising both senior and junior cadres.

Confirming this at a press conference in Lagos on Mondayt,Secretary-General of the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria(TUC),Chief John Kolawole,said the action of the bank lacks due process and manifests its height of provocation and lawlessness which is condemnable.

He urged the affected workers not to receive termination letter from the bank as the union is determined to come to their rescue.

He also urged to immediately reverse the termination and other anti-labour acts,failing which his members will shut down the operation of the bank.

‘’Consequently,TUC unequivocally state and demand the reversal of these terminations and other anti-labour acts immediately,failing which TUC will mobilize all its affiliates,allies and resources to shut down completely the operations of the Bank nationwide.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=165898%3Amainstreet-bank-sacks-650&catid=1%3Anews&Itemid=2
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by tessyade: 5:46pm On Jun 25, 2012
Not again! I hope this is not true.
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jun 25, 2012
Sanusi's cashless policy. Bulk room staff losing jobs per minute
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by nikkyshyne(f): 11:47pm On Jun 25, 2012
someone told me they are accepting hardcopy cvs presently. undecided
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by Phymeify: 8:58am On Jun 26, 2012
It will always happen cause they want to all cut down cost in all areas,so u will not blame them also.
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by temi4fash(m): 8:58am On Jun 26, 2012
so bad... anoda set of people losin dere source of livelihood
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by azimibraun: 9:09am On Jun 26, 2012
Wen some of us never get jab odas dey lose dem own? Dt is nt d issue sef, ppl lose jabs and get new ones, bt is dt d case in naija @ d moment and in d nearest future? And dis bank boys and gals wnt learn. Big cars, big apartments,expensive suits and shoes babe chasin anyhow little savings in d most insecured job knwn to man.
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by ossaisly(m): 9:11am On Jun 26, 2012
Na wa o! But according to vanguard, its 800.

1 Like

Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by Ortis: 9:13am On Jun 26, 2012
;-(NASTY PEOPLE......I WIL EMPLOY D SACKED WORKERS....JUST APPLY OK coolNASTY PEOPLE......I WIL EMPLOY D SACKED WORKERS....JUST APPLY OK
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by sonyjacobs(m): 9:15am On Jun 26, 2012
Firing and hiring. i heard they are recruiting and i just submitted my CV 3 days ago. na wa oh
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by Ekowise(m): 9:17am On Jun 26, 2012
Hmmmmm! The BANKING INDUSTRY? Expect more especially with the advent of d Cashless Policy.
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by Nobody: 9:26am On Jun 26, 2012
Sorry for those that loss their JOB.
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by Muttex(m): 9:36am On Jun 26, 2012
So shocking...i was passing through the mainstreet bank head office yesterday, i saw the crowd beating drum and dancing with placards...so disgusted.
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by Pergrace: 10:03am On Jun 26, 2012
gboss4sure: Sorry for those that loss their JOB.

Same here as well
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by Rahmatuparker: 10:05am On Jun 26, 2012
May God Almighty give dem a beta job n 4 dose still searching may God bless dem wit their dream jobs.
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by ariyebaba(m): 10:07am On Jun 26, 2012
From MAINSTREET 2 BROAD STREET.

Una do o o o o o o

As for me av decided to become an enterprenure and employ others.

1 Like

Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by Gospelgirl(f): 10:09am On Jun 26, 2012
May the Lord have Mercy upon our land, everyday very hardworking people keep loosing their sources of livelihood and yet trillions of naira and dollars are being looted and shared by some selfish individuals.
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by tunapawizzy: 10:27am On Jun 26, 2012
Well they should collect their benefits n start their own businesses. Use ur sweat to build ur own empire not anoda man's empire. And as for TUC don't bank on dem, oceanic, intercontinental, zenith and odas av sacked much more people in d past, TUC only made mouth nothing came out of it.. I think d affected peeps should just look inwards n start deir own businesses, if 400 out of d 650 starts something of dia own with d entitlements received..with half of d hardwork u put into mainstreet bank n by Gods grace d businesses will fluorish n generate employment for odas..

3 Likes

Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by Reference(m): 10:48am On Jun 26, 2012
650 and counting. Almost 7,000 since consolidation started. The manpower ejected together with their severence packages are enough to start a new, well capitalized bank. Well only if things worked that way.
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by faithin9ja: 10:51am On Jun 26, 2012
Until a bank crashes and all those who have deposits lose your money (like I did in the 90's when Pinnacle Bank and Crystal bank crashed)before we will realize that bankers jobs are not a God given right. If not for Sanusi, after Francis Atuche, et al had finished dealing with Bank PHB, the bank would have gone bankrupt and depositors would have lost all their savings. We would have been queuing up outside the bank struggling to get our money.

When CBN changed Bank PHB to Mainstreet Bank nobody rushed to remove their money, there was 'no run on the banks' compare that to the bank crash in Nigeria in the 90's or even the Northern Rock collapse in UK as recent as 2008. Despite all the insults we throw at Sanusi the nation still has confidence in the banks, because of his policies.

Mainstreet Bank cannot afford to have the same number of employees sitting around not adding to the net worth of the bank, better to lose 800 employees than for the whole bank to collapse.

People should wake up from their dream world and bigoted, myopic, uneducated opinions and face the truth. Sanusi has sanitized banking for the better.

2 Likes

Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by RichDad1(m): 12:20pm On Jun 26, 2012
tunapawizzy: [b]Well they should collect their benefits [/b]n start their own businesses. Use ur sweat to build ur own empire not anoda man's empire. And as for TUC don't bank on dem, oceanic, intercontinental, zenith and odas av sacked much more people in d past, TUC only made mouth nothing came out of it.. I think d affected peeps should just look inwards n start deir own businesses, if 400 out of d 650 starts something of dia own with d entitlements received..with half of d hardwork u put into mainstreet bank n by Gods grace d businesses will fluorish n generate employment for odas..
What benefit?I heard from the news that some lucky ones were paid a month salary while other got nothing after almost 15-25 years in service.what a shame!!! cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by mrperfect(m): 12:37pm On Jun 26, 2012
This is really sad for the country.
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by ochallo: 12:44pm On Jun 26, 2012
For the dummies that are applying to mainstreet bank, you would experience what people experience when they stand in the middle of the main street. All those banks that were taken over are going to crash, i know that because i have worked in a bank before, those banks were taken over and then the next thing that was done was to rebrand, spend money that they dont have to pay for renaming pretty much everything, from cars, to tellers to bank property. Since this banks have been taken over, they have not done any remarkable business strategy , they have not rolled out any cutting edge product, nothing, it simply means they are there to wind up the bank.
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by tessyade: 12:47pm On Jun 26, 2012
Rich Dad:
What benefit?I heard from the news that some lucky ones were paid a month salary while other got nothing after almost 15-25 years in service.what a shame!!! cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
If this is true then its so bad for the system. Where will these people start from? Especially the ones living affluent lives before now.
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by ochallo: 12:51pm On Jun 26, 2012
faithin9ja: Until a bank crashes and all those who have deposits lose your money (like I did in the 90's when Pinnacle Bank and Crystal bank crashed)before we will realize that bankers jobs are not a God given right. If not for Sanusi, after Francis Atuche, et al had finished dealing with Bank PHB, the bank would have gone bankrupt and depositors would have lost all their savings. We would have been queuing up outside the bank struggling to get our money.

When CBN changed Bank PHB to Mainstreet Bank nobody rushed to remove their money, there was 'no run on the banks' compare that to the bank crash in Nigeria in the 90's or even the Northern Rock collapse in UK as recent as 2008. Despite all the insults we throw at Sanusi the nation still has confidence in the banks, because of his policies.

Mainstreet Bank cannot afford to have the same number of employees sitting around not adding to the net worth of the bank, better to lose 800 employees than for the whole bank to collapse.

People should wake up from their dream world and bigoted, myopic, uneducated opinions and face the truth. Sanusi has sanitized banking for the better.

what you have said is half truth, sanusi carried out a good intention in a very bad way. Who told you that people didnt go to these banks to collect their money, the customers of PHB and the customers of Mainstreet are not the same at all. The whole taking over was so public and terribly done , it has driven the banks to a much earlier death.
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jun 26, 2012
@ sonyjacobs;please for which of the level are they collecting CV's for?
I would be glad if you can please provide me with update regarding the format and procedure about it.
You may send it via;
xaionsdream@gmail.com

tanks
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by kessyur: 2:06pm On Jun 26, 2012
I don't them jor. Everybody is cutting cost. I was at Ecobank today and to my surprise, they were using industrail fan.
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by faithin9ja: 2:27pm On Jun 26, 2012
ochallo:

what you have said is half truth, sanusi carried out a good intention in a very bad way. Who told you that people didnt go to these banks to collect their money, the customers of PHB and the customers of Mainstreet are not the same at all. The whole taking over was so public and terribly done , it has driven the banks to a much earlier death.

there are 2 branches of Bank PHB on the road where my office is. The day the declared it was now Mainstreet bank customers were attending the bank as per normal. Ii even paid in over N300,000 into a customer's account. He did not panic or tell me to pay into another bank.

Do you think if Atuche was still there today that there would be anything like Bank PHB or mainstreet. The bank would have collapsed, all the staff would have lost their jobs and depositors lost their money, the only happy people would be the major owners and directors including the Atuche and Co.

Bank directors treated these banks like their private property and depositors money like their father's money. We are now blaming the person who clean up the mess.
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by hardbody: 2:30pm On Jun 26, 2012
I really feel for them. When i chose to quit banking some years ago, quite a number of people asked whether i was going out of my mind, but i knew then that the bubble was going to burst someday. The same thing happened when i walked out of telecoms, some people still wondered whether i did not need a check up at Yaba-left. I trudged on. Today, i am in an industry that is looked down upon but provides a level of employment stability. In days to come, i will gradually wind down and go into my own line of business. Lesson in life? Dont settle down and assume that nothing will go wrong, dont eat with all your five fingers, plan ahead and remain a constant step ahead of the employment market. Dont forget to put God in teh first priority. Once again, i wish the people well and hope they get something doing to keep putting bread on the table and keeping the tummy warm.

3 Likes

Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by Mekozoral: 3:50pm On Jun 26, 2012
sonyjacobs: Firing and hiring. i heard they are recruiting and i just submitted my CV 3 days ago. na wa oh

pls help where did u submit your CV? a friend is really in need of a job, is it their head office?pls reply. Thanks
Re: Mainstreet Bank Sacks Over 650 Staff by Mcnoble: 5:10pm On Jun 26, 2012
Go and submit it in their head office at Marina

(1) (2) (Reply)

Peugeot Automobile Nigeria Latest Job Recruitment (4 Positions) / Please Help, Which Job Should I Go For / NNPC Paying Transport For 2011 Interviewees?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.