Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,829 members, 7,806,329 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind (3075 Views)

How Brainwashing Works / First Fruit Offering Is Brainwashing! Tunde Bakare / Born Again Brainwashing Techniques: Must Read: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by Chubhie: 7:30pm On Jun 25, 2012
YOU ARE BEING BRAINWASHED. You don’t have to like it, but most people do. There has always been an “opiate for the masses”. It is a necessary part of the civilized world. Imagine if everyone was running around with a free thinking mind of their own. People would work less and less, demanding more and more pay. Parents would trust their children to make decisions on their own. Teachers would teach information based on research, instead of curriculum. Students would learn, instead of achieving grades.

Fortunately, You don’t have to worry about that. You are being brainwashed.

Although brainwashing has existed for thousands of years, the term “brainwashing” was coined by the CIA in 1950. It is also known as re-education, thought control, propaganda, and conversion.

The human mind is not predisposed to accept external control. Look at children. If you tell them to do something, they automatically rebel. It is only through repetition of instructions and a punishment/reward system that they “learn” to “behave properly”. If it wasn’t for this early brainwashing, we would all be running around naked, making funny noises for no reason, leaving doors open, and farting in public.

This is how brainwashing works. Mental programming requires three basic elements. First, the programmer needs to limit the information available to the subject. Then they control the subject’s behavior. The final piece of the puzzle is to apply subtle amounts of stress to the subject to distract them from the thought control process.

Limiting the information can be done by isolating the subject from alternate opinions. We say to the child, “You can’t play with Jimmy. He’s a bad influence.”, “You need to go to church every Sunday.” The programmer can physically separate you from those opinions or make you dismiss them before those ideas are heard. They may say, “Those people are uncivilized”, “They are just crackpots and alarmist.”, “Let us never tolerate outrageous conspiracy theories.” (GW Bush) or on the other side, “You can never trust the white devil.” If someone is trying keep you from learning, you are being brainwashed.

It can also come in the form of repetition. It could be something someone is saying to you, “You’re an idiot.”, “You don’t know what your doing.”, “You can’t hold a job.”, “you’re a drunk.” If someone says something to you enough, you will eventually believe that it’s true. Repetition might also be something you say over and over again, like a prayer, pledge, or saying. It most often comes in the form of TV news or slogans, “Stay the course” , “In God We Trust”, “We can’t let the terrorist win.”, “I’m thinking Arby’s!”

If you are hearing or seeing, or (even worse) saying, the same phrase over and over again, you are being brainwashed.

The second phase is controlled behavior. It can be as simple as being woken from a state of sleep to go to work or school, or telling someone when they can or can’t go to the bathroom. It could be someone telling you, not asking you, to chew with your mouth closed. It can also be repetitive movements such as when we are at church, being told to kneel, stand, or sit on command. It can be even broader, Pay your taxes, Drive the speed limit, green light = go, red light = stop.

Our behavior can also be controlled by observing the behavior in others. If a child sees her father beating her mother, she will grow up and be beaten by her husband. If, in a movie, a teacher takes a note from a student and reads it out loud before the class, and a teacher or student watches that movie, they will imitate that behavior in real life. If an evangelist sees their family in church rolling on the floor, “possessed by the holy spirit”, they too will one day roll on the floor. If someone plays Call of Duty 4 enough, they will think it is ok to go to foreign countries and kill brown people.

Usually though, you will just get brainwashed into buying a new car or exercise equipment you can’t afford.

The last aspect is the application of stress. Most often, this takes the form of a conditional threat; hence it is often called conditioning. “If you don’t stop drinking, I’m taking the kids and leaving”, “If you sleep with anyone else I’ll kill you”, “If you leave me, I’ll kill myself”, “If you don’t pray, you’ll go to hell”, “If you don’t behave, we will beat you again”, “If you don’t pass a $700 billion dollar bail-out, I’ll instate marshal law.”

If someone is trying to control your behavior or putting stress on your life, you are being brainwashed. Get away from them!

The worse thing about being brainwashed is that once you are brainwashed, it is very difficult to be aware of it. Your brainwashed state of mind and actions is completely normal to you. You are just an average Joe (maybe you’re a plumber, zing!). Everything you do seems completely normal. Since, you are normal, anyone who doesn’t share your beliefs and values must be either insane or uncivilized. So what do you do? You brainwash them!

That is the beauty of the system. Since humans feel a need to be socially justified, without even thinking about it, we go out and “teach” others about “proper behavior”. The brainwashed become the brainwashers, at no extra charge. The programmed behavior spreads like a virus from host to host, to friends, lovers, and family.

There is hope. You can change your ways. The main defense against brainwashing is to not let the stress distract you and to remain aware that you are being brainwashed. Next time someone is telling you what to do, if you are doing something that seems against your will, if the words coming out of your mouth are not yours, say to your self, “I’m being brainwashed!” Then get yourself out of that situation and away from those people! Remember, it’s not their fault, they are brainwashed. Just get away from them.

Remain aware! When you put this paper down, you will be aware that you are being brainwashed.

Source: You Are Being Brainwashed – TheSeattleSinner, by Ken Poirier

1 Like

Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by Jenwitemi(m): 7:54am On Jun 26, 2012
Yep. I agree 100% with this article. Awareness and self education are crucial if one wants to avoid being brainwashed by the institutions and other tools of society.
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by Omexonomy: 9:57am On Jun 26, 2012
Moderator please move this to hompage so that people can think for them selves
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by manmustwac(m): 2:18pm On Jun 26, 2012
Omexonomy: Moderator please move this to hompage so that people can think for them selves
Very nice article, I can't guarantee that it'll make the homepage but I'll see what I can do about it.
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by logicboy01: 2:40pm On Jun 26, 2012
Furthermore, there is something called Pavlovian conditioning or classical conditioning.

You use one thing to signify the other.

For instance, dogs salivate when they see food. After a particular person brings food to the dogs over a period of time, the dogs will salivate only at the sight of the person (even without food). The dogs have been conditioned to see the person as food. The person signifies food coming to them because they know that the person always brings food.

So, when we see people with masks that have horns, why are we skeptic or scared? Because we have been conditioned that the devil has horns and wears red. Horns have been associated with evil.

Even relgion is conditioning. Most crucifixes or crosses in churches in Nigeria have a white Jesus. Since Jesus is God, many blacks have been conditioned to accept that whites are their gods or masters.

1 Like

Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by Niflheim(m): 2:57pm On Jun 26, 2012
@Chubhie,this is the greatest post I have ever read on nairaland.This is what they always do at the 700 club.When Bush wanted to invade iraq,Pat robertson said that the holy spirit instructed bush to attack,and the next day,many foolish christians began to support the war.
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by logicboy01: 2:58pm On Jun 26, 2012
Niflheim: @Chubhie,this is the greatest post I have ever read on nairaland.This is what they always do at the 700 club.When Bush wanted to invade iraq,Pat robertson said that the holy spirit instructed bush to attack,and the next day,many foolish christians began to support the war.

Thank you!
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by Chubhie: 3:16pm On Jun 26, 2012
Niflheim: @Chubhie,this is the greatest post I have ever read on nairaland.This is what they always do at the 700 club.When Bush wanted to invade iraq,Pat robertson said that the holy spirit instructed bush to attack,and the next day,many foolish christians began to support the war.
Iam Glad to be of help
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jul 13, 2012
Nice post! Why has it not made the front page?
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by Chubhie: 10:03pm On Jul 16, 2012
AJJ: Nice post! Why has it not made the front page?
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by Chubhie: 2:26pm On Oct 21, 2012
Bump
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by Nobody: 4:41pm On Oct 21, 2012
AJJ: Nice post! Why has it not made the front page?

Front page pleaseeeee!!!

Wait, u're brainwashing mecheesy
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by wiegraf: 6:29pm On Oct 21, 2012
Tis a nice article but it's more complicated than this. For standard sheeple perhaps all this stands. Different type of folk react differently, and at different development stages of life behavior changes. Children react differently, adolescents, etc. As the article notes not everything passed on from parents is indoctrination. Anyways...

Chubhie: Imagine if everyone was running around with a free thinking mind of their own. People would work less and less, demanding more and more pay. Parents would trust their children to make decisions on their own. Teachers would teach information based on research, instead of curriculum. Students would learn, instead of achieving grades.

Not all of this is bad obviously, not all is true either, and he fails to differentiate between indoctrination and socialization. Parents can guide without indoctrination.

Chubhie:
The human mind is not predisposed to accept external control. Look at children. If you tell them to do something, they automatically rebel. It is only through repetition of instructions and a punishment/reward system that they “learn” to “behave properly”. If it wasn’t for this early brainwashing, we would all be running around naked, making funny noises for no reason, leaving doors open, and farting in public.

Not completely true, children are susceptible to winchie stories used to condition them. This may be biological, kids with this behavioral trait probably have a higher survival rate as they can be controlled more easily by their more experienced elders, hence their ubiquity. If the bold were true anyways it would mean the 'brainwashing'
would not be particularly effective on anyone.

Chubhie:
This is how brainwashing works. Mental programming requires three basic elements. First, the programmer needs to limit the information available to the subject. Then they control the subject’s behavior. The final piece of the puzzle is to apply subtle amounts of stress to the subject to distract them from the thought control process.

Limiting the information can be done by isolating the subject from alternate opinions. We say to the child, “You can’t play with Jimmy. He’s a bad influence.”, “You need to go to church every Sunday.” The programmer can physically separate you from those opinions or make you dismiss them before those ideas are heard. They may say, “Those people are uncivilized”, “They are just crackpots and alarmist.”, “Let us never tolerate outrageous conspiracy theories.” (GW Bush) or on the other side, “You can never trust the white devil.” If someone is trying keep you from learning, you are being brainwashed.

It can also come in the form of repetition. It could be something someone is saying to you, “You’re an idiot.”, “You don’t know what your doing.”, “You can’t hold a job.”, “you’re a drunk.” If someone says something to you enough, you will eventually believe that it’s true. Repetition might also be something you say over and over again, like a prayer, pledge, or saying. It most often comes in the form of TV news or slogans, “Stay the course” , “In God We Trust”, “We can’t let the terrorist win.”, “I’m thinking Arby’s!”

If you are hearing or seeing, or (even worse) saying, the same phrase over and over again, you are being brainwashed.

The second phase is controlled behavior. It can be as simple as being woken from a state of sleep to go to work or school, or telling someone when they can or can’t go to the bathroom. It could be someone telling you, not asking you, to chew with your mouth closed. It can also be repetitive movements such as when we are at church, being told to kneel, stand, or sit on command. It can be even broader, Pay your taxes, Drive the speed limit, green light = go, red light = stop.

Our behavior can also be controlled by observing the behavior in others. If a child sees her father beating her mother, she will grow up and be beaten by her husband. If, in a movie, a teacher takes a note from a student and reads it out loud before the class, and a teacher or student watches that movie, they will imitate that behavior in real life. If an evangelist sees their family in church rolling on the floor, “possessed by the holy spirit”, they too will one day roll on the floor. If someone plays Call of Duty 4 enough, they will think it is ok to go to foreign countries and kill brown people.

Usually though, you will just get brainwashed into buying a new car or exercise equipment you can’t afford.

Ja, ja, plus other techniques probably. They don't work on critically minded people though. Even from a young age they'll be asking why, if you can't give them a logical and satisfactory answer just know they probably won't be taking you seriously.
Sheep though will be sheep.

Chubhie:
The last aspect is the application of stress. Most often, this takes the form of a conditional threat; hence it is often called conditioning. “If you don’t stop drinking, I’m taking the kids and leaving”, “If you sleep with anyone else I’ll kill you”, “If you leave me, I’ll kill myself”, “If you don’t pray, you’ll go to hell”, “If you don’t behave, we will beat you again”, “If you don’t pass a $700 billion dollar bail-out, I’ll instate marshal law.”

If someone is trying to control your behavior or putting stress on your life, you are being brainwashed. Get away from them!

Ja, effective on virtually everyone.

Chubhie:
The worse thing about being brainwashed is that once you are brainwashed, it is very difficult to be aware of it. Your brainwashed state of mind and actions is completely normal to you. You are just an average Joe (maybe you’re a plumber, zing!). Everything you do seems completely normal. Since, you are normal, anyone who doesn’t share your beliefs and values must be either insane or uncivilized. So what do you do? You brainwash them!

That is the beauty of the system. Since humans feel a need to be socially justified, without even thinking about it, we go out and “teach” others about “proper behavior”. The brainwashed become the brainwashers, at no extra charge. The programmed behavior spreads like a virus from host to host, to friends, lovers, and family.

Ja, a nice bonus. Again, imaginative people are less likely to display this.

Chubhie:
There is hope. You can change your ways. The main defense against brainwashing is to not let the stress distract you and to remain aware that you are being brainwashed. Next time someone is telling you what to do, if you are doing something that seems against your will, if the words coming out of your mouth are not yours, say to your self, “I’m being brainwashed!” Then get yourself out of that situation and away from those people! Remember, it’s not their fault, they are brainwashed. Just get away from them.

Remain aware! When you put this paper down, you will be aware that you are being brainwashed.

Source: You Are Being Brainwashed – TheSeattleSinner, by Ken Poirier

This won't work for the vast majority as like already stated, they don't know they've been brainwashed or are being conditioned. Even if they did figure it out many don't admit it, usually because of fear, shame etc. Can't think of anything that will work atm actually... Maybe $deity?
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by pastormustwacc: 7:45pm On Oct 21, 2012
Brainwashing techniques are being employed by the "powers that be", it has been used since the begining of the time of man.
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by pastormustwacc: 7:45pm On Oct 21, 2012
manmustwac: Very nice article, I can't guarantee that it'll make the homepage but I'll see what I can do about it.
Keep up the good work
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by Nobody: 5:45pm On Nov 05, 2012
inurmind:

Front page pleaseeeee!!!

Wait, u're brainwashing mecheesy
Hahahaahaahaaaahaaahaaaa! Maybe i should also dry and iron it!
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by Nobody: 6:47pm On Nov 05, 2012
AJJ:
Hahahaahaahaaaahaaahaaaa! Maybe i should also dry and iron it!

lol.. you could oil it when are done, then I would be a Yoruba person. Not yoruba o, abeg no insult mecheesy
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by Nobody: 7:52pm On Nov 05, 2012
inurmind:

lol.. you could oil it when are done, then I would be a Yoruba person. Not yoruba o, abeg no insult mecheesy
Abeg no kill me with laughter! Mk chubhie no send us away from im thread or mk we brainwash chubhie and d mods.
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by okeyxyz(m): 11:54pm On Nov 05, 2012
Nice article, except that the OP assumes brainwashing is automatically wrong. Likewise @wiegraf who decides to dissect and filter the article also thinks brainwashing is wrong\evil by default, and everybody who has commented so far. Are we afraid we might fall into the category of brainwashed folks too?

This is the way it is: All knowledge and training is brainwashing\mind-control. It is not a bad thing in itself, it's just learning\training process. Wether it is science, religion\spirituality, atheism, medicine, politics, sports & entertainment, etc, since they all condition us to think and behave in a certain way. Now after this acceptance, we can now begin to ask and to decide what is good brainwashing and what is bad brainwashing.
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:11am On Nov 06, 2012
nice article. BRAINWASHING IS #1 WEAPON USED BY XTIANS AND MUSLIMS
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by wiegraf: 12:32am On Nov 06, 2012
okeyxyz: Nice article, except that the OP assumes brainwashing is automatically wrong. Likewise @wiegraf who decides to dissect and filter the article also thinks brainwashing is wrong\evil by default, and everybody who has commented so far. Are we afraid we might fall into the category of brainwashed folks too?

This is the way it is: All knowledge and training is brainwashing\mind-control. It is not a bad thing in itself, it's just learning\training process. Wether it is science, religion\spirituality, atheism, medicine, politics, sports & entertainment, etc, since they all condition us to think and behave in a certain way. Now after this acceptance, we can now begin to ask and to decide what is good brainwashing and what is bad brainwashing.

The bold is wrong unless you have a very liberal definition for 'brainwashing\mind-control'. The key difference between these and other methods being choice in particular, being conscious of what is taking place, the intentions of the teacher, etc.

Indoctrination
"Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology (see doctrine).[1] It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned.[2] As such the term may be used pejoratively, often in the context of education, political opinions, theology or religious dogma. The term is closely linked to socialization; in common discourse, indoctrination is often associated with negative connotations, while socialization refers to cultural or educational learning."

Socialization
"Socialization (or socialisation) is a term used by sociologists, social psychologists, anthropologists, political scientists and educationalists to refer to the lifelong process of inheriting and disseminating norms, customs and ideologies, providing an individual with the skills and habits necessary for participating within his or her own society. Socialization is thus ‘the means by which social and cultural continuity are attained’.[1][2]"

Me: "he fails to differentiate between indoctrination and socialization"

I should have said

"he fails to differentiate between indoctrination and other forms of socialization"

I'm equating "brainwashing" to indoctrination. Imo, brainwashing is almost always wrong. Could you give examples of when it's acceptable?
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by okeyxyz(m): 9:45pm On Nov 06, 2012
I seem to be popping in and out these days, thus taking quite sometime to reply, That's because i'm struggling to make enough time.

wiegraf:

The bold is wrong unless you have a very liberal definition for 'brainwashing\mind-control'. The key difference between these and other methods being choice in particular, being conscious of what is taking place, the intentions of the teacher, etc.

You make it sound as if there is absolute free will in any participation in a culture or institution but it is not so. Once you decide to join, then you must conform, else you are vilified/blacklisted/expelled etc. The way I see it, the only difference between brainwashing\indoctrination\mind-control and socialization is Label, simple. We'd been "brainwashed" to give a negative spin to one and a positive spin to the other.

wiegraf:
Indoctrination
"Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology (see doctrine).[1] It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned.[2] As such the term may be used pejoratively, often in the context of education, political opinions, theology or religious dogma. The term is closely linked to socialization; in common discourse, indoctrination is often associated with negative connotations, while socialization refers to cultural or educational learning."

Socialization
"Socialization (or socialisation) is a term used by sociologists, social psychologists, anthropologists, political scientists and educationalists to refer to the lifelong process of inheriting and disseminating norms, customs and ideologies, providing an individual with the skills and habits necessary for participating within his or her own society. Socialization is thus ‘the means by which social and cultural continuity are attained’.[1][2]"

like I said before, the differences are just moral connotations but underneath they all work by the same process of outlining\proving\assuming some fundamental 'truths' of which all your thoughts and actions are expected to conform to. Not that your argument are wrong, but what makes one 'indoctrination' and the other 'socialization' is just the degree of cultural acceptability or political correctness. I remember at one time in the west, homos.exuality was treated as a mental illness by academics and social institutions, but now that modern culture has embraced and even promotes it, it's treated as the most natural of evolutionary phenomena and a even a 'human right'. Yet they still criminalize polygamy, punishable with imprisonment, even when the participating adults are fully aware and consent to this form of relationship. How about patriotism? is that socialization or indoctrination?
Re: Brainwashing Methods: How They Program Your Mind by wiegraf: 2:06pm On Nov 07, 2012
okeyxyz: I seem to be popping in and out these days, thus taking quite sometime to reply, That's because i'm struggling to make enough time.

You make it sound as if there is absolute free will in any participation in a culture or institution but it is not so. Once you decide to join, then you must conform, else you are vilified/blacklisted/expelled etc. The way I see it, the only difference between brainwashing\indoctrination\mind-control and socialization is Label, simple. We'd been "brainwashed" to give a negative spin to one and a positive spin to the other.

like I said before, the differences are just moral connotations but underneath they all work by the same process of outlining\proving\assuming some fundamental 'truths' of which all your thoughts and actions are expected to conform to. Not that your argument are wrong, but what makes one 'indoctrination' and the other 'socialization' is just the degree of cultural acceptability or political correctness. I remember at one time in the west, homos.exuality was treated as a mental illness by academics and social institutions, but now that modern culture has embraced and even promotes it, it's treated as the most natural of evolutionary phenomena and a even a 'human right'. Yet they still criminalize polygamy, punishable with imprisonment, even when the participating adults are fully aware and consent to this form of relationship. How about patriotism? is that socialization or indoctrination?

Never mind time, I have to cut back on the time I spend here as well.

You're mixing up a couple of things. Everyone has to be socialized, this will include learning moral codes and their elements (though those have biological elements as well), etc. How one is socialized is what we are looking at. Indoctrination/brainwashing hides those choices and/or demands you don't question doctrine/dogma. I'll use education to represent socialization which leaves you with a choice.

In your first paragraph you say "once you decide to join", that is a choice, so not sure where you're going there, not relevant to indoctrination. Step back though to how you came to make the choice. Did you make an informed choice, were you forced into it (indoctrination), or were you subtly, purposely manipulated (brainwashing)? These are all different things.

So it's the same with patriotism, on its own it has nothing to do with indoctrination. How was attained though, does.

(1) (Reply)

Awareness For The Top Pastors And The Churches!!! / I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. / Can Jesus Die For Our Sins?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.