Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:36 PM

Wind Turbine Construction With Pics - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Wind Turbine Construction With Pics (25058 Views)

Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. / The Wind Turbine Can Generate Electricity For Every Home In A Country / Vision 2020 Electric Power Generation: Backyard Turbine System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 10:43am On Jun 26, 2012
Hey guys, my name is sadiq. I am a final year student studing mech. Engineering. I am working on a wind turbine for my final year project, I just recently started, I have done a few things though not much.
Well, here it goes.
In my short time in taking up this challenge I noticed that the project fundermentally relys on two things every other thing is no problem, this are
1. Wind
2. Motor
Its is meant to produce at least 15volts to charge a 12volt battery, if however I can't reach that mark, then 10volts woldnt be too bad, I could use to light some LED bulbs. Lol

So, I started with the blade construction, I didn't want to start from scratch using wood, so I went with the PVC pipe. I used a 6" diameter pipe with a lenght of 24". I did some rough math induction and came up with the blades(pic below). So that's done with. Moving on to the next.
Generator, I wanted to construct my own generator, but couldn't find some components like neyodymium magnets and eproxy(although considering this again). So I decided to go with a DC motor, the challenge of that is finding a low RPM motor. Tread mills are good sources for such but I have only been able to come accross high RPM motors. So that's a big problem for me and I am running out of time.
I have not been able to do much again, because the whole project depends on this component, the rest in not that major work. Its just the stucture(nacelle),furling,tower, wiring, charge controller, battery.. There's some bit of interesting construction there, but hopfully it wouldn't be too much trouble, God willing.
I have started on the charge contoller, although I am not the one working on it(its more of electrical). Its just a box with some circuits which turns on and off, or rather charge battery when its out of juice and dump the load when its fully charged.(The concept pic is below)
Almost forgot, I wanted to use a pulley system but taught of the losses and decided to leave it out. The wind is not high enough to make up for the losses.
Guys this is a major thing for me, am sure there should be people around who have done it before, or at least have seen where it was done before, so I'll appreciate if you help me out with my motor/generator problem.
Any form of assistance would be highly appreciated.
Thanks.

9 Likes

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 10:47am On Jun 26, 2012
I am planning to keep you guys updated on the progress that I make up till the end and the presentation and exhibition. Gods willing.

[size=13pt]Mods, please please help me! I need as much people to see this, you never know who might help. Front page if its not too much to ask. Please!!
[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by proudly9ja(m): 11:04am On Jun 26, 2012
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 11:17am On Jun 26, 2012
proudly9ja: These should help:

http://www.windgenkits.com/Tutorials.htm

http://www.mindchallenger.com/wind/wgpage15.html

Yeah, it did thanks for that.
But the problem with the epoxy and magnets still a major issue, maybe you have an idea where to get them?
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Nobody: 11:24am On Jun 26, 2012
i wish you success bro

2 Likes

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 11:27am On Jun 26, 2012
aguiyi: i wish you success bro
Thanks, that means a lot.

1 Like

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Funkymallam(m): 11:43am On Jun 26, 2012
Mods need to encourage this dude!

All d best Sadiq.

1 Like

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by elume2020(m): 11:52am On Jun 26, 2012
My friends did a project on windmill, with d blades made from pvc pipe, like d ones used in toilet. I will contact them if there is any help they could offer. I will also think through to see what can be done. I graduated frm FUTA, MECH. Eng dept.

1 Like

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Biggyd2: 11:58am On Jun 26, 2012
Good one. Please do keep us updated on this. NLs please anyone out there that can help out here, please do o. This might be the beginning of a permeant alternative to PHCN for us.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by hustler2(m): 12:14pm On Jun 26, 2012
I ve worked on this project before. I can tell you the best DC motor to use is a geared DC motor. There are some geared motor which can generate up to 24V at 45 rpm and they are relatively cheap.

1 Like

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 12:16pm On Jun 26, 2012
Funkymallam: Mods need to encourage this dude!

All d best Sadiq.

Thanks for your concern, I appreciate a lot.

elume2020: My friends did a project on windmill, with d blades made from pvc pipe, like d ones used in toilet. I will contact them if there is any help they could offer. I will also think through to see what can be done. I graduated frm FUTA, MECH. Eng dept.

Please do, I really would need all the help I can get.
Here's my mail sadikk99@yahoo.com
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by mendax: 12:17pm On Jun 26, 2012
@OP,

What is the range of RPM for your motor. I know you said you needed a low RPM motor, but what range would you term as low RPM for your project. I'm not familliar with the exact thing you want to achieve but may be able to help sourcing for the motor. Best of luck
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 12:18pm On Jun 26, 2012
hu$tler:
I ve worked on this project before. I can tell you the best DC motor to use is a geared DC motor. There are some geared motor which can generate up to 24V at 45 rpm and they are relatively cheap.

This is just what I need, where do I get surplus of this motor. Please?
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by gigabytes: 12:19pm On Jun 26, 2012
You have a nice project before you, pls dont be discouraged. As we say in science that nothing is imposible. I will say you should carry along those locals (radionic/repairers) particularly the advanced one, they might help out. They help me in my project those days also. Wow, you know what I see in you, I see greatness. Brian Tracy gave a quote last week that "all the problems of the world could be settled easily if men were only WILLING to think the quotes by Thomas J. Watson, Former President of IBM. I will check often to see your progresss. Kudos.

1 Like

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by swtchicgurl: 12:22pm On Jun 26, 2012
Awesome work poster! all the best.

i'll follow this post closely, i should have something to add or gain.

good job! smiley
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by chuckdee4(m): 12:22pm On Jun 26, 2012
Sadiq i'm not an engineering disciplined individual so i don't have a lot to add.
Wish you all the best on this

1 Like

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 12:26pm On Jun 26, 2012
mendax: @OP,

What is the range of RPM for your motor. I know you said you needed a low RPM motor, but what range would you term as low RPM for your project. I'm not familliar with the exact thing you want to achieve but may be able to help sourcing for the motor. Best of luck

Anything with a ratio of RPM/voltage of <15
Eg. 250RPM n 24VDC
If you do the maths it gives you just over 10volts DC.

But this poster hu$tler just mentoined something very interesting, I just hope he will tell me more.

1 Like

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by jocuri: 12:34pm On Jun 26, 2012
Love your Thread! I think I'm gonna start to build something!

Thank you for inspiration!
+1 follower

2 Likes

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by AK481(m): 12:34pm On Jun 26, 2012
Nice 1 bro.looking @ ur design and diagrams,I think you r on point,just keep it up.
Btw.I m your brother on this,I read electrical engineering unn,n I ve worked on dc generators n induction motor n gen.
I m gonna send u links where to get precise n detailed info about this,also know about a friend who did something similar.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 12:43pm On Jun 26, 2012
jocuri: Love your Thread! I think I'm gonna start to build something!

Thank you for inspiration!
+1 follower

I am glad I could do so.

AK 48: Nice 1 bro.looking @ ur design and diagrams,I think you r on point,just keep it up.
Btw.I m your brother on this,I read electrical engineering unn,n I ve worked on dc generators n induction motor n gen.
I m gonna send u links where to get precise n detailed info about this,also know about a friend who did something similar.

That wold be of very much help, thank you.
That design was before I chande some few things, I am working on the new design now. Without pulley. I would upload it when am done.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by TonySpike: 12:44pm On Jun 26, 2012
I wish I could help...but I'm more familiar with the electrical aspect of the work, and, not mechanical per se. I wish you the best, bro!
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by VEE2010(m): 12:44pm On Jun 26, 2012
I'm glad good things are beginning to emanate from Nigeria. Atleast, for thinking aright, the Almighty would give you the rightful thought to complete this project. I believe you can, Bro! Good luck to you, fellow good Nigerian!!
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by hischoice(m): 12:44pm On Jun 26, 2012
Hey Sadiq, good work. But I am of the opinion that practicing engineers should be of greater help to you and your cause.
Consider joining the engineering network (www.engineer-ng.net) for free. Share same story and pictures. You will be surprised by how much input you would get from them

1 Like

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by stillme(m): 12:48pm On Jun 26, 2012
This is the type of thread we want on nairaland. Good thinking good product.
Bro,wish you the best.

1 Like

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 1:13pm On Jun 26, 2012
Tony Spike: I wish I could help...but I'm more familiar with the electrical aspect of the work, and, not mechanical per se. I wish you the best, bro!

Thanks, anything you can input would help, besides I am have trouble with the electrical part not mechanical.

VEE2010: I'm glad good things are beginning to emanate from Nigeria. Atleast, for thinking aright, the Almighty would give you the rightful thought to complete this project. I believe you can, Bro! Good luck to you, fellow good Nigerian!!

Thank you for the wishes.

hischoice: Hey Sadiq, good work. But I am of the opinion that practicing engineers should be of greater help to you and your cause.
Consider joining the engineering network (www.engineer-ng.net) for free. Share same story and pictures. You will be surprised by how much input you would get from them
Thanks bro, I'll check it out asap.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by lacasa: 1:17pm On Jun 26, 2012
May God give us more of progressive nigerians.

Sadiq may Allah. Guide Ɣou(amen)
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jun 26, 2012
Mills and Boon
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by deandavid(m): 2:10pm On Jun 26, 2012
sadiq, well done bro. Though not an engineer, but i have always long to see our engineers, produce things. I have been one of those who critizes the nigerian engineers, because of lack of innovations,idea and progress. I wish u d best, i want to see you succeed, i want to see a situation where your turbine is made and mounted in our homes to generate power, instead of nepa. I look 4ward to power my hux 4rm nigerian made power generator. All the best bro.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jun 26, 2012
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by purpinkx(m): 2:18pm On Jun 26, 2012
‎ ‎كلورين‎ 4rm my point of veiw ... U dnt need a 10volt motor but an amplifier/multiplier-circuit (or watever u call it) ... I have 1 dat generates 6volt 4rm 1.5v ba3 i use it to charge my phone ... I think u'l find a DIY on the internet ... Goodluck sadiq/sadeeq

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Astronomers Discover Non-Habitable Earth-Sized 'Pi Planet' With A 3.14-Day Orbit / Www.whatsapp.com| Download Whatsapp On Android, On Ipad / InventTech Building A Global IoT-based Hardware Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.