Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,892 members, 7,817,626 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! (6543 Views)

Video Of Pregnant Child Ese Too Scared And Ashamed To Face Her Family. / 63 Unaccompanied Children, Six Pregnant Women Among Those Rescued / Infrastructural Neglect In Nigerian Barracks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by Chyz2: 3:52am On Jun 27, 2012
[size=18pt]Lagos criminalises neglect of pregnant women[/size]

Wednesday, 27 June 2012 00:00 By Yetunde Ayobami-Ojo News - National

IT is now a punishable offence under Section 277 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State for any person who impregnates a woman or girl to fail, refuse or neglect to contribute to maternity related cost from ante-natal or post-natal stages.

This was made known by the Lagos State Attorney- General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Ade Ipaye during a legislative awareness and sensitization programme on the Criminal Law of Lagos State 2011 and Administration of Criminal Justice Law, 2011.

He said that the task was on the government to ensure that laws were well known to the people, especially if they were new as ignorance of the law generally was not an excuse for non-compliance.

Ipaye further said: “We are in a democratic dispensation which means that we should carry everyone along, and the way we put out our laws should be different from that of the military.”

He added that the judiciary was expected to be responsive and active because the laws were in a state of constant flux as they struggle to keep pace with new developments in the society.

According to him, what informed the decision to review the law was the fact that some of the laws that existed prior to this time were outdated, thus, the review, so as to reflect current day realities. He pointed out that the old Criminal Code Law had become inadequate to address the challenges of contemporary criminality.

Ipaye added that the Criminal Law of Lagos State was enacted to provide rules on criminal conduct, to regulate public order and for other connected purposes. It therefore repeals and replaces the Criminal Code Law of Lagos State Cap.C17 Laws of Lagos State of Nigeria 2003, which was first introduced in Southern Nigeria in 1914 by the British colonial Government to reflect mainly, the values of the colonial administration.

He said that the new law was a departure from the old criminal code law that focused only on the imposition of custodian sentences and fines on the offenders as the new law now provided for other forms of punishment which include compensation, restitution, community service orders and probation.

“We have a society that is changing, certain crimes which were unknown in the past have grown which is why the legislators have to keep reviewing our laws to respond to societal changes, and promoting the consciousness of the society about what government is doing,” Ipaye noted.

The Attorney-General highlighted other newly created offences as; terrorism; cheating at examination; money laundering and allied offences; specially aggravated offences; unlawful harassment of debtors; unlawful conversion of public property; unlawful interferences with property and new sexual offences, among others.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90503:lagos-criminalises-neglect-of-pregnant-women&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by Nobody: 3:58am On Jun 27, 2012
IT is now a punishable offence under Section 277 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State for any person who impregnates a woman or girl to fail, refuse or neglect to contribute to maternity related cost from ante-natal or post-natal stages.

Make una dey use rubber o!!! shocked shocked shocked

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by Nobody: 4:02am On Jun 27, 2012
It shouldn't be criminalised, tbh. Fashola is going too far with this one o.

A law should be formed to simply obligate the "posible" father to a monthly child support fee.

With laws such as "neglection of pregnant women" and "child support fee" (as presented by non other than my lovely self cool ), it's often hard to tell who the father of the baby is. The law would be punishing a "Possible" father, possible in bold.

Ipaye further said: “We are in a democratic dispensation which means that we should carry everyone along, and the way we put out our laws should be different from that of the military.”

Bull shoit. No "democratic" society has yet to pass a law like this one.

“We have a society that is changing, certain crimes which were unknown in the past have grown which is why the legislators have to keep reviewing our laws to respond to societal changes, and promoting the consciousness of the society about what government is doing,” Ipaye noted.

Joblessness. It's like these ppl don't have a clue of what do do with their "power". Neglecting of pregnant women might morally be criminal, but should not be lawfully criminalized. We have a lot of teens who aren't even sure who their baby's father is jor.

The best solution for ish like this is "Naury" ===> Nigerian version of Maury. rotfl

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by velo10: 6:41am On Jun 27, 2012
Good one. at least it will make some people think twice before impregnating women and abandoning them.
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by Omexonomy: 8:54am On Jun 27, 2012
At least this will go a long way in reducing basterd, agberoism, arm robbers in lagos

1 Like

Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by SpiritofOkija(m): 8:56am On Jun 27, 2012
Meaning no more

1 Like

Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by tellwisdom: 8:56am On Jun 27, 2012
I read this topic here some months ago.....Why post it here again?? Na EXAM QUESTION FOR US NI??
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by Clemzy16(m): 9:00am On Jun 27, 2012
WTF! Water ballon tnz o
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by Jungleprince1(m): 9:06am On Jun 27, 2012
Fashola should be declare president,federal republic of nigeria. He is the only true leader we have in nigeria
eko onibaje, come 2015 it will be nigeria onibaje
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by Nobody: 9:07am On Jun 27, 2012
what of a law to criminalise heart break and gold digging tongue tongue tongue
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by Nobody: 9:07am On Jun 27, 2012
Jungleprince1: Fashola should be declare president,federal republic of nigeria. He is the only true leader we have in nigeria

Wow!! Because of this law?
Na men go suffer at the end anywaz. . . . so . . . . hip hip hooray!
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by inspirenet: 9:11am On Jun 27, 2012
Jungleprince1: Fashola should be declare president,federal republic of nigeria. He is the only true leader we have in nigeria
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by SpiritofOkija(m): 9:19am On Jun 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Wow!! Because of this law?
Na men go suffer at the end anywaz. . . . so . . . . hip hip hooray!

No mind the virgin..

All my baby mamas go rejoice die... I go need to run from Naija!
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by Nobody: 9:34am On Jun 27, 2012
I hope Lagos state govt is also ready to bear the cost of paternity/DNA test. I'm afraid to say that this law is setting the stage for some mischievous ladies to frame some gentlemen.
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by Jakumo(m): 9:34am On Jun 27, 2012
Okija you is da MAN. Who no know go know.

Check out that video clip ha ha ha. You know I figured she'd be alright after he missed her with that roundhouse karate kick, but I was wrong ha ha ha.

Anyways, once again the world takes note as future Nigerian President Raji Fashola blazes the trail towards a better Nigeria, where her most vulnerable citizens enjoy the protection of the state, which in Lagos is now legally empowered to hold deadbeat dads to financial account, for the upkeep of both mother and child, PROVIDED THAT DNA paternity verification has been performed by a REPUTABLE and STATE-REGISTERED facility.

Inconsiderate and reckless Nigerian men who, despite planet Earth's AIDS pandemic, still bone without using condoms, will now face the music and pay the phuck up if they happen to live in Lagos State. Anyone who gets a woman pregnant and thinks they can just walk away from the mother and unborn child that could result from such liaisons is going to get a serious re-education if the incident is recorded in Lagos State, where Governor Raji Fashola, Nigeria's soon-to-be Head of State, continues to set the standard for equitable and compassionate modernity.

It is worthy of recall that barely one year ago Governor Fashola brought Lagos State into the fold of nations which recognize the inviolable sanctity of human rights for ALL citizens, regardless of age, when legislation OUTLAWING the beating or corporal punishment of children and students in ALL settings, was heroically and historically passed by the Lagos State Government, with the full support of Raji Fashola, Nigeria's unrelenting troubadour of advancement and positive social reform.

Raji Fahola for President of Nigeria - 2015. There IS no other more qualified to Ride the Tiger. Raji Fashola's manifest DESTINY is that of a nation-builder, but he has only just cleared the starting gates on his sure path towards that much bigger job as President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, effective 2015.
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by Nobody: 9:38am On Jun 27, 2012
Jakumo:
Okija you is da MAN. Who no know go know.

Check out that video clip ha ha ha. You know I figured she'd be alright after he missed her with that roundhouse karate kick, but I was wrong ha ha ha.

Anyways, once again the world takes note as future Nigerian President Raji Fashola blazes the trail towards a better Nigeria, where her most vulnerable citizens enjoy the protection of the state, which in Lagos is now legally empowered to hold deadbeat dads to financial account, for the upkeep of both mother and child, PROVIDED THAT DNA paternity verification has been performed by a REPUTABLE and STATE-REGISTERED facility.

Inconsiderate and reckless Nigerian men who, despite planet Earth's AIDS pandemic, still copulate without using condoms, will now face the music and pay the phuck up if they happen to live in Lagos State. Anyone who gets a woman pregnant and thinks they can just walk away from the mother and unborn child that could result from such liaisons is going to get a serious re-education if the incident is recorded in Lagos State, where Governor Raji Fashola, Nigeria's soon-to-be Head of State, continues to set the standard for equitable and compassionate modernity.

It is worthy to remember that barely one year ago Governor Fashola brought Lagos State into the fold of nations which recognize the inviolable sanctity of human rights for ALL citizens, regardless of age, when legislation OUTLAWING the beating or corporal punishment of children and students in ALL settings, was heroically and historically passed by the Lagos State Government, with the full support of Raji Fashola, Nigeria's unrelenting troubadour of advancement and positive social reform.

Raji Fahola for President of Nigeria - 2015. There IS no other more qualified to Ride the Tiger. Raji Fashola's manifest DESTINY is that of a nation-builder, but he has only just cleared the starting gates on his sure path towards that much bigger job as President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, effective 2015.

One, MOST of these said mothers won't have the financial resources to go for a paternal test while pregnant.

Is Fashola going to criminally charged a "possible" yet "unconfirmed" father?

Bobo yii ti n soro ju sha.
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by SpiritofOkija(m): 9:45am On Jun 27, 2012
Jakumo: Okija you is da MAN. Who no know go know.

Inconsiderate and reckless Nigerian men who, despite planet Earth's AIDS pandemic, still bone without using condoms, will now face the music and pay the phuck up if they happen to live in Lagos State. Anyone who gets a woman pregnant and thinks they can just walk away from the mother and unborn child that could result from such liaisons is going to get a serious re-education if the incident is recorded in Lagos State, where Governor Raji Fashola, Nigeria's soon-to-be Head of State, continues to set the standard for equitable and compassionate modernity.

It is worthy of recall that barely one year ago Governor Fashola brought Lagos State into the fold of nations which recognize the inviolable sanctity of human rights for ALL citizens, regardless of age, when legislation OUTLAWING the beating or corporal punishment of children and students in ALL settings, was heroically and historically passed by the Lagos State Government, with the full support of Raji Fashola, Nigeria's unrelenting troubadour of advancement and positive social reform.

Lets be careful o!!

This might just lead to girls getting pregnant for wealthy guys just to earn a living (salary babies) or an increase in abortions (which isnt legal hence is most likely to be dangerous)...

We are slowly walking towards the alimony system of the U.S and I dont like it... I aint ready to start paying Child support to my 4 baby mamas #just Saying!!
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by Jakumo(m): 9:45am On Jun 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

One, MOST of these said mothers won't have the financial resources to go for a paternal test while pregnant.

Is Fashola going to criminally charged a "possible" yet "unconfirmed" father?

Bobo yii ti n soro ju sha.

Ileke Idi my tender morsel, I am getting tired of waiting for clearance to consummate our online flirtation. I am tired of walking about stiffly on three legs, and knowing that the silkiness I seek is still unattainable.

Anyway back to this topic. Future President Fashola can, with the simple stroke of a pen, lay the groundwork for the establishment of state-approved DNA testing facilities, since, as a seasoned barrister at law, he will be equally conscious of the need to safeguard men against accidental or false paternity claims.

Ha ha Okija those Baby Mama's have their calculators out right now, I tell ya. Contact me if you wish to become re-born in the name of Jeeesus, with a new fictitious identity, along with all relevant travel documents, at very competitive prices.
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by Afam4eva(m): 9:47am On Jun 27, 2012
The government should be careful about giving Nigerian women too much power or else, many Nigerian men will die young and Fashola won't be excluded from the wrath of women in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by SpiritofOkija(m): 9:48am On Jun 27, 2012
Jakumo:

Ileke Idi my tender morsel, I am getting tired of waiting for clearance to consummate our online flirtation. I am tired of walking about stiffly on three legs, and knowing that the silkiness I seek is still unattainable.

Anyway back to this topic. Future President Fashola can, with the simple stroke of a pen, lay the groundwork for the establishment of state-approved DNA testing facilities, since, as a seasoned barrister at law, he will be equally conscious of the need to safeguard men against accidental or false paternity claims.

Child support things...

Shes from Ekiti o!! And I learnt they can sabi born twins so your matter go serious die...

Be warned!!
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by Nobody: 9:50am On Jun 27, 2012
Jakumo:

Are you okay?

You said that Fashola "can", but the thing is, Fashola "hasn't" and will likely not touch that pen. So from where i stand, this law is a glass half-empty half-full.
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by Jakumo(m): 9:54am On Jun 27, 2012
Your arms too short to box with Jesus, Ileke Idi.

In future Nigerian President Raji Fashola we trust. All others pay cash.
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by mmizco: 10:10am On Jun 27, 2012
Kudos to Fashola govt for taking care of those heartless men, dat only knew how to enjoy a woman and dumped her in trouble time. I think d right thing is to sentence the offenders to death by hanging
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by greall1: 10:19am On Jun 27, 2012
Are you one of them?
tellwisdom: I read this topic here some months ago.....Why post it here again?? Na EXAM QUESTION FOR US NI??
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by Nobody: 10:19am On Jun 27, 2012
Yea, thats a good development, some people are just not responsible.
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by Bumchacha(f): 10:29am On Jun 27, 2012
4 dose of u dat re saying Fashola is saying rubish shame on u,dat means u dont cherise ur moder or sisters all cus if u put dem in dat positon hw will u feel? Alot are going on dat u dont no nd do u no hw many babies are dumbed everyday? If d fahter of dose baby stood by d moders do u tink dey will do dat? Abeg Fashola ride on eko oni baje o
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by Ejine(m): 11:04am On Jun 27, 2012
I hate this law with a passion! angry
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:22am On Jun 27, 2012
I think the intention is justifiable but the course and implementation will be fraught with challenges.
1: Is the potential father (mostly unemployed, illiterate area and ghetto boys and rapists) capable of providing any sort of support (financial, emotional) to the pregnant (soon-to-be-single-recharge-card-selling-mother) woman. What is State Welfare's Role in this
2: What if the Father denies (most do) - are we to wait for a DNA test after (the Fact) to make him obligated to pay (after the fact)

This trend has been the norm since I experienced first hand a friend's case with his pregnant girl-friend and her parents back in Secondary school. It is very much common-place. Why has our State and Federal Institutions not provided a platform to Educate and Support Single Teenage Mothers.

LAGOS State (it seems are at the forefront of Social and Civil creativity) should tackle this case based on already available Research on the theme and follow recommendations as provided. It is not a complex issue and happens all over the world (to say the least)
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by jpphilips(m): 12:06pm On Jun 27, 2012

did you task your brain on the subject matter before wearing your coat of sycophancy?

which technology in Lagos state will prove the paternity of a fetus for the mother to be entitled to "ANTE NATAL" support?

are you saying that any girl that takes in for any man can legally go about demanding for fetus and child support from whom ever slept with her in the past because Lagos state law makers refused to apply common sense?
what is the academic qualification for law makers again?
Re: Lagos Criminalises Neglect Of Pregnant Women! by buJu234: 12:16pm On Jun 27, 2012
guys use condom simple as ABC

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Seun Osewa Air His Opinion On The Endsars Ongoing Protest. / ICPC Secures Convictions Of 3 Civil Servants For Job Scam / “Extend Amnesty Granted To Igboho To Nnamdi Kanu”: Group tells Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.