Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab (3194 Views)

For The Classy, Trendy, Stylish And Modest Muslimah / What Stops You From Wearing The Hijab? / Conversation Between A Non Muslim And A Muslim Cleric (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by Cheers01: 7:56pm On Jun 28, 2012
emöfine2:

Lol was this before or after she met you?grin tongue...(just kidding tongue)

Before she met me
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by Nobody: 7:02am On Dec 28, 2013
This hijab talk mehn!

E get as e be jor.
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by dareabiola98(m): 9:29am On Dec 28, 2013
Gud for u emofine....
U see,the hijab is not really what Islam emphasizes...but covering of the body.This is a Message from our creator,he knows what he has created and he's telling the ladie "Cover yourselves".Some Ladies don't know what they've caused today...in the early times,there wasn't so much cases of rape as we have now.imagine nickiminaj in a protest against rape..u know what I say to her u caused the rape in the first place..Allah knows that the body parts of the women entices man..You open All of ur body,u cause mental suppresssion to a guy who can't aproach a lady,he takes a minor,and he has an oral knowledge of her.the way women open their bodies nowadays,even the married men lose appreciation of their wives,Yes!!! Because u've seen much better than her.So Allah gives this command cover ur unclothedness and if they wouldn't Allah(swt) tells the men to "Lower their gaze as well"...I hope we can be concious and know that when u flaunt ur body parts,u've confused as many men as u walked by Salam
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by Nobody: 3:00pm On Dec 28, 2013
dareabiola98: Gud for u emofine....
U see,the hijab is not really what Islam emphasizes...but covering of the body.This is a Message from our creator,he knows what he has created and he's telling the ladie "Cover yourselves".Some Ladies don't know what they've caused today...in the early times,there wasn't so much cases of rape as we have now.imagine nickiminaj in a protest against rape..u know what I say to her u caused the rape in the first place

What is the meaning of this nonsense? It's never a woman's fault that she got raped please.
Rapists are nothing but depraved animals that have no self control.
What a sensible man does when he sees a sexually attractive stranger is to avert his gaze instead of pouncing on her to raype her because she is beautiful.
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by deols(f): 4:34pm On Dec 28, 2013
fellis:

What is the meaning of this nonsense? It's never a woman's fault that she got raped please.
Rapists are nothing but depraved animals that have no self control.
What a sensible man does when he sees a sexually attractive stranger is to avert his gaze instead of pouncing on her to raype her because she is beautiful.

You are right. But the woman can do the world some good by covering up too.

1 Like

Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by Nobody: 5:05pm On Dec 28, 2013
deols:

You are right. But the woman can do the world some good by covering up too.

I never said women shouldn't cover up.....

Nice to see you on this thread by the way smiley
On the issue of covering up; I wanted to ask a question.
Why is it Islamically compulsory for men to cover only their navel to knees when those aren't the only parts of the body that attact females?
I know that women cover everywhere because men are attracted to every part of their body so I am wondering what the Islamic explanation is for men not covering their attractive parts like biceps and chest. Do you know why?
Thanks.
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by deols(f): 5:31pm On Dec 28, 2013
I know you did not say that wink

I dont think that the reaction to a woman's body is the same to a man's.

I examine patients everyday and even examining a man is more comfortable than examining a woman.

Now, imagine that I am male.

That is my own experience. It is very easy for a woman to not give a man a second look but it would take double the effort or evwn tripple for a man.. I think it is about our biological differences.
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by Fulaman198(m): 6:10pm On Dec 28, 2013
deols: I know you did not say that wink

I examine patients everyday and even examining a man is more comfortable than examining a woman.

That is my own experience. It is very easy for a woman to not give a man a second look but it would take double the effort or evwn tripple for a man.. I think it is about our biological differences.

A man should still know how to practise self-control.
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by deols(f): 6:27pm On Dec 28, 2013
Fulaman198:

A man should still know how to practise self-control.

Yes! He has to. I wrote that in response to fellis's question on why women cover more than men do.
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by Nobody: 7:54pm On Dec 28, 2013
deols: I know you did not say that wink

I see. So men have a harder time controlling their lustful desires than women?
That's interesting. Thanks for taking time to answer.
Although I used to think that hijab covering was to prevent people from casting lustful gazes at each other and not only to stop people who have less self control.

Do you also think so? Do you think that the purpose if hijab is to completely stop men from staring lustfully at women at all, under any possible circumstance?
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by dareabiola98(m): 11:43pm On Dec 28, 2013
Ur not a guy so u wouldn't know...its not just rape I'm talking about here....its about every bit of it...I'm not saying it makesevery guy think ofrape...but u direct ur speech to those who can't hold it in.Today...Women have been portrayed as objects of sex,an object of attraction for a male..and the males must just fill their eyes and that's it.When u dress naked..som1 might notrape u,but u would have caused a problem u r unaware of in another place.So ur creator says to u...Cover ur unclothedness and says to the men "Lower your gaze"....the fitnah and fassad on this earth wouldn't be this much if only we'd obey...but no!....we don't want to...when I see a half-naked lady,I curse her and the angels do too...there's NO soft-talking about this....The prophet(saas) said: I've been shown some women,they're clothed but it'd be as if they were naked...he says this people won't smell jannah. I hope we all take heed
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by Nobody: 11:52pm On Dec 28, 2013
dareabiola98: Ur not a guy so u wouldn't know...its not just rape I'm talking about here....its about every bit of it...I'm not saying it makesevery guy think ofrape...but u direct ur speech to those who can't hold it in.Today...Women have been portrayed as objects of sex,an object of attraction for a male..and the males must just fill their eyes and that's it.When u dress naked..som1 might notrape u,but u would have caused a problem u r unaware of in another place.So ur creator says to u...Cover ur unclothedness and says to the men "Lower your gaze"....the fitnah and fassad on this earth wouldn't be this much if only we'd obey...but no!....we don't want to...when I see a half-naked lady,I curse her and the angels do too...there's NO soft-talking about this....The prophet(saas) said: I've been shown some women,they're clothed but it'd be as if they were naked...he says this people won't smell jannah. I hope we all take heed

HmmMmmm......
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by Nobody: 12:39am On Dec 29, 2013
emöfine2: Today I decided to wear the hijab for the duration of my outdoor activities. I considered it an interesting trial to undertake for various reasons.

It was mainly a social experiment to register the reception that my hijab may arouse and also to experience first hand how life feels like under a hijab - empowering or oppressive?

I've been previously mistaken for a Muslim quite a number of times - whether that's just wishful thinking on the parts of my quizzers or maybe an assumption based on my nationality or for some other reasons I thus thought it be ironic (but it's surely not a prescience).

However my biggest reason in conducting this social experiment is because I've been noticing a rather interesting and ironic phenomenon here in western Europe. I live in the UK and it has been noted that many female Europeans that convert to Islam assume the hijab.

Many Muslimahs wear the Hijab which of course is not unusual although some debates concerning the Hijab or Burka still occur. Some argue that the hijab is a symbol of women oppression although many Muslimahs maintain that the wearing of the Hijab and other similar clothing of item that pertains to Islam is strictly of their own choosing and their prerogative. Though some counter this and claim that in a Muslim dominated society often there is no choice granted to the female...

Well the UK is not a Muslim dominated society even though it has a significant Muslim population and women here are allowed to exercise their rights...I highlight this not to patronize but to draw attention to what seems to be an irony of sorts that female converts from seemingly "liberal" countries with no immediate Islamic background often choose to assume what is deemed as a symbol of women oppression.

I had wondered and considered for a long time what inspired these new converts to wear the hijab although of course piety may form the primary reason but I did think to examine the countries these converts hail from and perhaps determine other factors from there.

Did the portrayal of women from these countries play a part in making them choose to wear the hijab? ...(In wearing the hijab she has to some extent on the surface stripped through some superficiality of society and has refused to become objectified and in such context may feel empowered)... Or does making perhaps what may be seen as unpopular choices of our own make one feel "empowered"?

But is this extreme considering that from the other side of the fence some consider the hijab to be objectifying and an imprisonment of women? Or is this just a misinterpretation of cultures?

Well under the hijab I didn't feel too different but I did act differently although I must admit I did a shoddy job in wrapping my hijab embarassed.
Of course I was met with positive reception from other fellow hijabi Muslimahs and they even greeted me in Arabic - although I didn't know what to say back so just smiled like an id[i]i[/i]o[i]t[/i] embarassed grin

However I did notice a couple of stares from both a man and a lady ...and I was left wondering if they saw me as an embodiment of oppression because that's how I translated their stares. (Whilst generally women do not want to be judged solely based on their appearance the irony is that wearing a hijab would put me under instant judgment anyway).

As I was walking in my hijab I asked myself some questions and some of those were if I indeed felt more modest, more feminine, more respected and empowered. I considered all these questions briefly and whilst I can understand why another female may not want to be subject to lewd attention and her sexuality cheapened I had thought and concluded that one's modesty and perhaps even piety can still be maintained in any other attire even if it doesn't shroud every inch of a woman's body.
Sometimes I felt conscious of my hijab but at rare moments I kinda felt comfortable...

Well that's just a non-Muslimah's experience under the hijab smiley.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I found this to be an interesting post. I've subjected myself to this same experiment but as a non- Hijabi with Muslim parents.

When you say you didn't feel different but acted different, what do you mean by " act different"?
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by Fulaman198(m): 12:40am On Dec 29, 2013
dareabiola98: Ur not a guy so u wouldn't know...its not just rape I'm talking about here....its about every bit of it...I'm not saying it makesevery guy think ofrape...but u direct ur speech to those who can't hold it in.Today...Women have been portrayed as objects of sex,an object of attraction for a male..and the males must just fill their eyes and that's it.When u dress naked..som1 might notrape u,but u would have caused a problem u r unaware of in another place.So ur creator says to u...Cover ur unclothedness and says to the men "Lower your gaze"....the fitnah and fassad on this earth wouldn't be this much if only we'd obey...but no!....we don't want to...when I see a half-naked lady,I curse her and the angels do too...there's NO soft-talking about this....The prophet(saas) said: I've been shown some women,they're clothed but it'd be as if they were naked...he says this people won't smell jannah. I hope we all take heed

If I ever see a woman who is not wearing anything, I just try not to look, or not look in a lustful way. There are people who still live the old ways, and I respect them and know they do it out of innocence. You should never have such a temptation in your mind to do anything gruesome bro.
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by hybeenoni: 1:15pm On Dec 29, 2013
Naturally, men r easily moved more than d women by what we c though dere r exceptns. Nd if u look @ societies whr an average lady dress indecently, u find out dt cases of rape r far greater than in societies whr an average woman dresses decently. So I think d instructions of ladies covering themselves up nd men lowerin their ol boils down to our biological make up.
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by Fulaman198(m): 6:15pm On Dec 29, 2013
hybee_noni: Naturally, men r easily moved more than d women by what we c though dere r exceptns. Nd if u look @ societies whr an average lady dress indecently, u find out dt cases of rape r far greater than in societies whr an average woman dresses decently. So I think d instructions of ladies covering themselves up nd men lowerin their ol boils down to our biological make up.

Some men are better behaved than others. No ma'am should ever be so weak to touch a woman without her permission.
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by Nobody: 11:48pm On Dec 29, 2013
Fulaman198:

Some men are better behaved than others. No ma'am should ever be so weak to touch a woman without her permission.

True smiley

Same goes for women though.....
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by deols(f): 6:25am On Dec 31, 2013
fellis:

I see. So men have a harder time controlling their lustful desires than women?
That's interesting. Thanks for taking time to answer.
Although I used to think that hijab covering was to prevent people from casting lustful gazes at each other and not only to stop people who have less self control.

Do you also think so? Do you think that the purpose if hijab is to completely stop men from staring lustfully at women at all, under any possible circumstance?

I don't understand what you are driving at. I gave what I think the reason a woman should cover more is. A woman's body is more alluring than a man's.

A woman is more likely to go extra miles in looking and staying beautiful.

Looking at a man's feet and looking at a woman's feet can not be seen as the same thing..i don't think it can.

A man has a responsibility of lowering his gaze. A woman also has the responsibility of covering up. This is my point.
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by deols(f): 6:31am On Dec 31, 2013
Fulaman198:

If I ever see a woman who is not wearing anything, I just try not to look, or not look in a lustful way. There are people who still live the old ways, and I respect them and know they do it out of innocence. You should never have such a temptation in your mind to do anything gruesome bro.

He doesn't mean that he will do that. He is just giving an example of reactions that dressing unclad cause in some people.

But I think a rapist doesnt need an unclad woman to do his act. There are other things like what goes on in people's mind and how it leads to some other stuff..
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by deols(f): 6:31am On Dec 31, 2013
Fulaman198:

This is right.
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by Nexxy007: 11:00am On Dec 31, 2013
Interesting discuss.
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by Nobody: 12:47pm On Dec 31, 2013
Nawa o

Never knew women's feet turns Muslims on and there's a good chance they will curse or pounce on a lady with exposed feet....

tongue

1 Like

Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jan 01, 2014
deols:

I don't understand what you are driving at. I gave what I think the reason a woman should cover more is. A woman's body is more alluring than a man's.

A woman is more likely to go extra miles in looking and staying beautiful.

Looking at a man's feet and looking at a woman's feet can not be seen as the same thing..i don't think it can.

A man has a responsibility of lowering his gaze. A woman also has the responsibility of covering up. This is my point.

Alright thanks for your help.
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by Nobody: 10:19am On Jan 03, 2014
Cheers01: I am sorry that I have nothing to add to this topic as I am not a woman or a muslim.

However, It's funny how Maclatunji AKA the Big Boss MACdaddy ignores other recent threads and rushes to this one to post.

Lol....the MACdaddy must love feminine topics, he was also active at the Houri thread.

MACdaddy the ladies man.

Oh, and just to stay on topic, my muslim girlfriend hated the hijab. tongue

what is this one saying
Re: A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab by Nobody: 10:20am On Jan 03, 2014
LagosShia: @emofine

very inspiring post.i must commend your willingness to break barriers.

if i may ask,which part of Nigeria are you from? and are you considering Islam?

Good question

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are The Four Books Of Allah Perfect? / Muslims What Is JIZZYA? / Ways To Rock HIJAB For Different Events

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.