Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,139 members, 7,818,430 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

Something I Heard About The People Of Benue State. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Something I Heard About The People Of Benue State. (4361 Views)

Human Face In Awube Stream, Benue State (Photos) / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Something I Heard About The People Of Benue State. by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jun 27, 2012
This is not an accusation against the people of Benue state, it is an enquiry.
One of my neighbours travelled to Benue state recently and when he came back, he told me something very shocking.
He said that over there, they have this custom of giving their wives to their male guests to provide entertainment for them during the night.
By entertainment I mean s[i]e[/i]x.
sad
He told me that it was accepted for a married man to give away any of his wives to whichever of his friends is spending the night in his house, and for the wife serve as his bedroom companion.
I found that very hard to believe and I asked him what would happen if the woman got pregnant by that friend. He answered by saying that the husband of the woman takes the child as his own without asking questions. I spoke about this issue with another person and they said they had also heard about it and it was true.

I am curious if such a barbaric culture actually exists in Nigeria so I came to throw this quetion here for those that have knowledge of the customs of the Benue people.
Is it true?
Can a man give his wife to his friend for the night in Benue State?
Re: Something I Heard About The People Of Benue State. by dasparrow: 6:29am On Jun 29, 2012
@Fellis

I attended high school in Benue State but I have never heared such a thing before. Besides, Benue State is home to the following ethnic groups: Tivs, Idomas, Igede, Jukun, Abakpa, Akweya, Nyifon and some hausa. Each of these ethnic groups have their own distinct cultures and traditions. So you may need to ask your neighbor what part of Benue State he travelled to and what is the ethnic make up of the locals in the area he went visiting and then you might find an answer to your question. Benue State does not have one general culture since her indigenes come from different ethnicities just like in Delta State.
Re: Something I Heard About The People Of Benue State. by nwakaibeya1: 2:42pm On Sep 13, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73_HYeb2Io8 >those who HV spiritual eye listen2 utterance in video&know its TRUE but U CANT accept truth easily?
Re: Something I Heard About The People Of Benue State. by Ochibaby: 11:01pm On Jul 01, 2018
The only tribes I know that has Benue as their land is tiv idoma and igede. The rest also have their own land somewhere else.
Re: Something I Heard About The People Of Benue State. by Ochibaby: 11:12pm On Jul 01, 2018
Mr, go ask that ur friend which people in Benue is he referring to. And ask him does it still exist. Mind u one of the tribes among the 3 forbid adultery stealing and murder.

(1) (Reply)

Afemai Descendants Group / Ugwu Leaf Is Not A Yoruba Word. They Call It Efo Igbo And It's Not Commonly / Expatriates living In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.