Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,007 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! (2291 Views)

How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? / 9 Unexplained Events That Are Blamed On Aliens / How Is A Balloon Called In Your Dialect? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by cowgurl: 3:31pm On Jun 28, 2012
It's in the Nigeria's culture for parents to teach their kids their various dialects.

But in my case, it's kinda different cos my folks rarely communicated with us in such a manner, it was english language all through but with themselves, it's not.

Now, am in my early adulthood and still can't speak my dialect but what beats me more is the fact that whenever I get to meet my uncles and aunts, they lash out on me cos of that inability, telling me it's of my doing and I've refused to accept or agree with them.

Let's share ideas peeps, do you think it's the kids, parents or society's fault for our inability to communicate in our dialects?
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by tpia5: 4:28pm On Jun 28, 2012
why not try to learn the dialect.

even if its only greeting.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by cowgurl: 5:17pm On Jun 28, 2012
tpia@:
why not try to learn the dialect.

even if its only greeting.

Only greetings? Am cool with that Tpia but they ain't.
They need the whole garbage, them speaking and me answering likewise.

My folks didn't have a problem with us not speaking, so why should they? It's embarrassingly annoying.
I do respect peeps who can though.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by tpia5: 5:29pm On Jun 28, 2012
^eh, if they're impossible to please, just let them be.

you dont want to get in the middle of some of these family wars.

very time consuming.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by DaRapture: 5:36pm On Jun 28, 2012
cowgurl: It's in the Nigeria's culture for parents to teach their kids their various dialects.

But in my case, it's kinda different cos my folks rarely communicated with us in such a manner, it was english language all through but with themselves, it's not.

Now, am in my early adulthood and still can't speak my dialect but what beats me more is the fact that whenever I get to meet my uncles and aunts, they lash out on me cos of that inability, telling me it's of my doing and I've refused to accept or agree with them.

Let's share ideas peeps, do you think it's the kids, parents or society's fault for our inability to communicate in our dialects?

Do you live in the US or UK?
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by cowgurl: 8:00pm On Jun 28, 2012
tpia@:
^eh, if they're impossible to please, just let them be.

you dont want to get in the middle of some of these family wars.

very time consuming.

Hmm, thanks Tpia.
But do u think I should be blamed for not being able to speak?
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by cowgurl: 8:19pm On Jun 28, 2012
DaRapture:

Do you live in the US or UK?

Am not a resident in any DaRapture. Why ask? Any correlation?
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by tpia5: 2:28am On Jun 29, 2012
cowgurl:

Hmm, thanks Tpia.
But do u think I should be blamed for not being able to speak?

not necessarily- if you made an effort and they're still not impressed, then at least you'll know you tried.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by cowgurl: 5:08pm On Jun 30, 2012
tpia@:

not necessarily- if you made an effort and they're still not impressed, then at least you'll know you tried.

Okay, Tpia.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by odumchi: 9:59pm On Jun 30, 2012
cowgurl:

Am not a resident in any DaRapture. Why ask? Any correlation?

The correlation is that most of the people that experience this problem live in the West or outside if their fatherland. At this stage, the easiest way that you can solve your problem would be by spending a year or so in Nigeria (I mean your village/ancestral home).
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by cowgurl: 12:56pm On Jul 01, 2012
odumchi:
The correlation is that most of the people that experience this problem live in the West or outside if their fatherland. At this stage, the easiest way that you can solve your problem would be by spending a year or so in Nigeria (I mean your village/ancestral home).
Hmm, I see. Thanks for the tip Odumchi, but me spending more time in my village is scary as hell as we don't really go down there cept for the festivities and after that, the village is not going to be fun to hang around in, I'l js get dead bored to my bones.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by isalegan2: 12:24am On Jul 02, 2012
cowgurl:
. . .Let's share ideas peeps, do you think it's the kids, parents or society's fault for our inability to communicate in our dialects?

The parents.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by Nobody: 7:00am On Jul 02, 2012
Yes!! cowgurl, you are to blame. grin
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by cowgurl: 9:48pm On Jul 02, 2012
isale_gan2:

The parents.

I felt so too Isale.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by cowgurl: 9:58pm On Jul 02, 2012
sauer: Yes!! cowgurl, you are to blame. grin

grin
So are you guilty of this as well and what's ur POV?
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by odumchi: 12:01am On Jul 03, 2012
cowgurl: Hmm, I see. Thanks for the tip Odumchi, but me spending more time in my village is scary as hell as we don't really go down there cept for the festivities and after that, the village is not going to be fun to hang around in, I'l js get dead bored to my bones.

Well, if you want to help yourself you will have to get over your fear of your village (your own father's land) and spend some time there. It will help you more than you think, trust me.

As for myself, I plan to do something similar. Since I left my ancestral town when I was small, I didn't get a chance to fully learn Ikpanja (a dialect of Ibibio which we speak as a second language). I plan to live in my fatherland so I can learn this language.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by aljharem(m): 10:46am On Jul 03, 2012
OP, I use to be in the same shoes as you as well. LOL grin grin grin

I think I blame you for not learning it not your parents. You need to either visit your home town or friends from your hometown and ask them to be speaking this dialect to you so you learn.

Right now, I am still learning my dialect. grin grin
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by AndreUweh(m): 7:23pm On Jul 03, 2012
Thread owner.
What is your tribe called?.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by cowgurl: 8:43pm On Jul 04, 2012
odumchi:
Well, if you want to help yourself you will have to get over your fear of your village (your own father's land) and spend some time there. It will help you more than you think, trust me.

As for myself, I plan to do something similar. Since I left my ancestral town when I was small, I didn't get a chance to fully learn Ikpanja (a dialect of Ibibio which we speak as a second language). I plan to live in my fatherland so I can learn this language.
Thanks Odumchi n good luck with yours.

On a lighter note, am praying I don't get married from my tribe so I don't go through all this embarrasment thingy with his people grin
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by cowgurl: 1:41pm On Jul 05, 2012
alj harem: OP, I use to be in the same shoes as you as well. LOL grin grin grin

I think I blame you for not learning it not your parents. You need to either visit your home town or friends from your hometown and ask them to be speaking this dialect to you so you learn.

Right now, I am still learning my dialect. grin grin

Good to know you are catching up Alj harem + am glad am not d only one guilty on here as well grin.

But do tel, how am I to blame in all this?
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by cowgurl: 1:47pm On Jul 05, 2012
Andre Uweh: Thread owner.
What is your tribe called?.

My tribe is Yung chi lee Andre, why?
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by Ybutterfly: 10:37pm On Jul 05, 2012
^^^^^^^tHeN sPeaK yOuRR dIalEcT jArE^^^^^^^^^^ silly pEOpLE. angry shocked
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by tobechi74: 11:44pm On Jul 05, 2012
YOU REMIND ME OF AKONS SONG.....LETS SING...

even though the blame is on u
i will take the blame from u

u can put the blame on me

Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by Ybutterfly: 11:45pm On Jul 05, 2012
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by emofine2(f): 11:39am On Jul 07, 2012
@OP Lol I undertsnad where you're coming from and yes your parents are to blame or were to blame rather because as you get older that responsibility to resolve this inability to communicate in your dialect lays strictly with you...
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by Afam4eva(m): 1:52pm On Jul 07, 2012
At the formative years, the parents are to blame for not teaching and imparting their language on their children but when the child becomes a young adult like in the case of the OP, he/she will have to carry the blame. It's left for you now to find a way of learning your language.

Btw OP, where are you from and where're you based currently?
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by cowgurl: 11:12am On Jul 08, 2012
@Emofine & Afam.
Now am getting the 'blame me part' from ur comments but as an adult now, the interest to learn my dialect is 5% cos I just don't see it as a priority right now.

@Afam, am in Nigeria and from Chinese grin
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by Afam4eva(m): 11:23am On Jul 08, 2012
cowgurl: @Emofine & Afam.
Now am getting the 'blame me part' from ur comments but as an adult right now, the interest to learn my dialect is 5% cos I just don't see it as a priority right now.
If you don't see it as a priority right now then don't complain when you get blamed for your inability to speal your language. You're now an adult and you should be liable for your short-comings.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by Afam4eva(m): 11:31am On Jul 08, 2012
cowgurl:
@Afam, am in Nigeria and from Chinese grin
Be serious.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by cowgurl: 11:47am On Jul 08, 2012
afam4eva:
If you don't see it as a priority right now then don't complain when you get blamed for your inability to speal your language. You're now an adult and you should be liable for your short-comings.

The thing is, before now, I've never been told why am to blame in all this, I just get scolded embarrasingly and I do not find it funny but from ur post n Emofine's I now undastand why it's now my responsibility to learn and thus I take the blame but still hold my folks accountable cos it's convenient/easier for one to learn his/her dialect when he/she is younger (IMO).
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by cowgurl: 11:54am On Jul 08, 2012
afam4eva:
Be serious.
You just don't get the drift don't you? Can't make it any easier, apologies.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by Afam4eva(m): 11:57am On Jul 08, 2012
cowgurl:

The thing is, before now, I've never been told why am to blame in all this, I just get scolded embarrasingly and I do not find it funny but from ur post n Emofine's I now undastand why it's now my responsibility to learn and thus I take the blame but still hold my folks accountable cos [b]it's convenient/easier for one to learn his/her dialect when he/she is younger (IMO)[b].
You're right.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ethiopian Music And Culture / Anybody From Abiriba In The House. / Wasan Hausa Ya Sabama Hankali

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.