Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,791 members, 7,831,555 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:57 PM

Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! (2298 Views)

How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? / 9 Unexplained Events That Are Blamed On Aliens / How Is A Balloon Called In Your Dialect? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by Afam4eva(m): 12:00pm On Jul 08, 2012
cowgurl:
You just don't get the drift don't you? Can't make it any easier, apologies.
It seems for some reason best known to you, you don't want to disclose what part of Nigeria you come from. That's ok sha. I just thought I could profer some solutions to you based on your ethnicity.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by cowgurl: 12:19pm On Jul 08, 2012
Yeah, I get you Afam. Thanks! But indirectly, 'v hilariously written on here where am from.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by Afam4eva(m): 12:36pm On Jul 08, 2012
I want to believe that you're either Igbo or Efik/Ibibio.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by tpia5: 12:39pm On Jul 08, 2012
cowgurl: Yeah, I get you Afam. Thanks! But indirectly, 'v hilariously written on here where am from.

True.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by emofine2(f): 1:42pm On Jul 08, 2012
cowgurl: @Emofine & Afam.
Now am getting the 'blame me part' from ur comments but as an adult now, the interest to learn my dialect is 5% cos I just don't see it as a priority right now.

Cowgurl that’s not how I intended it to sound – I’m even in your position; I definitely know how it feels. I just meant it’s no more your parents responsibility but yours rather. That’s why they can’t be held accountable forever although of course it would have been easier if they imparted the language to you when you were a child. So I do agree your parents are to blame for the current situation you're in right now but that doesn't absolve you of your own responsibility. The onus now rests on you as a young adult. You not speaking your language is down to your parents but you not learning your language is down to you. But it’s up to you if you want to learn or whenever you choose to learn.

cowgurl:

The thing is, before now, I've never been told why am to blame in all this, I just get scolded embarrasingly and I do not find it funny but from ur post n Emofine's I now undastand why it's now my responsibility to learn and thus I take the blame but still hold my folks accountable cos it's convenient/easier for one to learn his/her dialect when he/she is younger (IMO).

I understand. Perhaps they’ve always thought it to be your responsibility and not initially your parents. Or maybe some people don’t understand that in order to pick up a language it has to be communicated as it’s not inherited lol.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by isalegan2: 3:16pm On Jul 08, 2012
afam4eva: I want to believe that you're either Igbo or Efik/Ibibio.

Well, I don't know what tribe of person would say, or even THINK, the below:

cowgurl:
On a lighter note, am praying I don't get married from my tribe so I don't go through all this embarrasment thingy with his people grin

Not even funny. And, I was on her side at first. SMH.

The girl is not serious at all.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by ChinenyeN(m): 3:57pm On Jul 08, 2012
In the beginning I blame the parents, but once someone gets to the point where they have the mental capacity to understand the position that he/she is in, then I blame said individual. Cowgirl, at this point it would be your problem. Your parents may not have cared to raise you with your native tongue, and one can choose to point fingers as long as one wants, but at the end of the day, it is you who will live with it. Now, if one is thick-skinned and can brush of the words of one's kinsmen, then one should feel free to do so. But for you that doesn't seem to be the case. It legitimately bothers you, as it would seem. So I'd recommend you learn your vernacular, because you can't change the reality of your situation unless you change yourself.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by aljharem(m): 10:39am On Jul 09, 2012
@ Cowgirl, I blame you cuz now you are aware of it. You should have started looking for how to learn it.

No matter where you live in the world, there would always be someone that speaks your language from Nigeria. smiley
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by cowgurl: 10:29am On Jul 11, 2012
@Afam, perfect guess, am Efik.

@Tpia grin smart you!

@Emofine, lmao @ ur last statement, it wil be much easier if it were inherited I tell ya! I do get your msg though and I totally agree.

@Isale, grin pls pay no heed to dat silly statement of mine was js kidding!

@Chinenye & Alj harem, I sincerely do appreciates your inputs as well.

To all, am really enlightened, thanks for your inputs.
Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by Afam4eva(m): 10:33am On Jul 11, 2012
cowgurl: @Afam, perfect guess, am Efik.
@Tpia grin smart you!
@Emofine, lmao @ ur last statement, it wil be much easier if it were inherited I tell ya grin but I do get your msg and I totally agree.
@Isale, grin pls pay no heed to dat silly statement of mine was js kidding!
@Chinenye & Alj harem, I sincerely do appreciates your inputs as well.

To all, am really enlightened, thanks.
You're welcome.

1 Like

Re: Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! by youngies(m): 2:23pm On Jul 11, 2012
Only greetings? Am cool with that Tpia but they ain't.
They need the whole garbage, them speaking and me answering likewise.

My folks didn't have a problem with us not speaking, so why should they? It's embarrassingly annoying.
I do respect peeps who can though.
Among other reasons why couldn't speak your dialect, the major reason is in the bolded - your attitude towards it.
You are very condescending to your dialect to the point of referring to it as "garbage"
Nuff said. You don't like the dialect

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ethiopian Music And Culture / What Do You Like About Nigeria And Nigerians / I Love Farting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.