Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,798 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa (9789 Views)

Pictures Of A Car Made In Calabar / Lamborghini Aventador £300,000 Car In Abuja / Car Made Out Of Basket In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by gitsaro(m): 4:35am On Jun 29, 2012

When computer engineer Joel Jackson arrived in Kenya in 2009 one of the first things he noticed was the state of the roads. He had come to the country with a non-profit organisation to help small-scale farmers increase their productivity, but he soon realised that a more pressing problem existed.

“It became clear that the lack of appropriate transport affected many parts of rural Africa,” he said.

So he set about building something that would fill that gap – a $6,000 (£3,850) car. Mobius One, as the first vehicle was dubbed, was built by local welders and mechanics. The car was stripped of all the luxuries that Western drivers take for granted.

“It had a tubular steel frame and off-the-shelf parts. It looked like a dune buggy, took 10 months to build and cost $14,000 (£9,000),” said Mr Jackson. But it worked, and that was enough to persuade him to quit his day job and move full-time to his newly formed company, Mobius Motors. Attracting attention He raised a quarter of a million dollars in venture-capital funding and used some of it to recruit a team of engineers to build the second
prototype, Mobius Two.

“We eliminated all non-essential features. The important thing was to make sure it was rugged and durable because African roads are highly degraded,” he said. The car, completed in September 2011, had far more detailed engineering and design. It cost $15,000 and took three months to build. Joel Jackson hopes to provide “the car for Africa”

“We drove it around Kenya and it performed well. When we drove it through Nairobi people routinely came up and asked where they could get one,” he said. For Mr Jackson the ability to buy a new car designed specifically for the African market will appeal to the growing African middle classes. He aims for the finished vehicle to be sold for $6,000, which, he said, is cheaper than many Kenyans pay for a second-hand car – a four-year-old Toyota, for example, sells for around $8,000.

Social impact
Second-hand cars in Kenya are expensive because customs, excise and VAT add a huge amount to the price tag.
“A brand new off-road vehicle will cost around $60,000,” said Mr Jackson. There are currently around 800,000 cars in Kenya, with around 80,000 sold each year. The vast majority of these are second-hand and many are bought to sustain a business rather than for personal use.

“People cram around 12 people into a car and run an informal public transport route,” Mr Jackson told the BBC. A car designed specifically for off-roading could be “an asset to run a business with”, he added.

“Mobius has the chance to change the transport network in Africa. Access to transportation means access to education and health services and that is the social impact of the project,” he added.

“My ambition is for this to be the car for Africa and I’d like to see hundreds of thousands of them produced each year,” he said. So far he has 15 pre-orders with another 100 in the pipeline. The production run this year will be modest, at around 50, but he hopes to scale that up to 400,000 a year in the next decade.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18607443
Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by virgo(f): 1:59pm On Jun 30, 2012
Ok, yet another "low tech" invention, made for Africa and only for Africans. Thank you Massa.

3 Likes

Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jun 30, 2012
A jalopy for Kenya woulda been a better name. Not every road in Africa is "dilapidated." Have you seen Enugu lately?

1 Like

Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by fagamite: 2:25pm On Jun 30, 2012
STupiddddddd africans . . . everything du/m/bed down for them.

1 Like

Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by phreakabit(m): 2:26pm On Jun 30, 2012
virgo: Ok, yet another "low tech" invention, made for Africa and only for Africans. Thank you [size=18pt]Massa[/size].
Lol at the slave accent.

Btw I'd still pocket my low quality African millions and buy one of this cheap piece of crap. grin
Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jun 30, 2012
Africa my Africa what art thou doing to u
Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by crackhouse(m): 2:31pm On Jun 30, 2012
Nigerians are too big for that kind of car. Though it's good to be used in the North anyway.

1 Like

Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by crackhouse(m): 2:33pm On Jun 30, 2012
SimonAndal: A jalopy for Kenya woulda been a better name. Not every road in Africa is "dilapidated." Have you seen Enugu lately?
u mean my coal city?
Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by virgo(f): 2:36pm On Jun 30, 2012
phreakabit:
Lol at the slave accent.

Btw I'd still pocket my low quality African millions and buy one of this cheap piece of crap. grin

Of course. We are clearly looked down upon to always get the worst inventions. This is another case of white saviour industrial complex at work. Sometimes I wonder if these guys just can't resist it. undecided

On buying the car, you have to go to Kenya. smiley
Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by crackhouse(m): 2:38pm On Jun 30, 2012
fagamite: STupiddddddd africans . . . everything du/m/bed down for them.
i wonder what u are doing here. If u are not african, then u must stupid too for enjoying africans' discussion forum.
Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by donjon: 2:48pm On Jun 30, 2012
Dis vehicle would currently be good for lagos - badagry express road! Dis yrs rain has completely destroyed dat road, going home is a nightmare
Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by 47vidscom: 2:51pm On Jun 30, 2012
The day we start manufacturing our car brand names will be the day Nigeria has woken up...but for now...lets ride in the jallopy they made for us..47vids.com

1 Like

Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by slimming: 2:58pm On Jun 30, 2012
We Africans know for sure that will are not inferior to the western world.
Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by DECOtech(m): 2:58pm On Jun 30, 2012
You don't like it, abi? But ur always free to make yours.
Don't forget to add a flying feature to be used in cases of traffic jams.
Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by uniQybabs(m): 3:04pm On Jun 30, 2012
undecidedOnly in Africa you celebrate mediocrity... [color=#990000][/color][i][/i]
Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by wandeay: 3:15pm On Jun 30, 2012
he manufactured it due to the situation he met on ground, he said bad roads, so, y critisizing him, thumbs up Mr Inventor, ur name has been added 2 d achievers' list

1 Like

Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jun 30, 2012
Which "Africa" is that mofo always mentioning in his welding metal jalopy ? If I see that kind motor for Nigeria, I will personally burn it, thats if the metal can burn...
Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by gidson12(m): 3:29pm On Jun 30, 2012
that would be good for my grandmum to help transport her firewood
Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by ebamma(m): 3:40pm On Jun 30, 2012
nice,atleast a brand new car for 900 thousand naira is not bad,and the vehicle is rugged enough to withstand african weather.
Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by folowo(m): 3:42pm On Jun 30, 2012
9ja ppl should produce their own now maybe car price will drop. . Our engineer where are you
Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by coolted(m): 3:47pm On Jun 30, 2012
grin grin only for africa
Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by maclatunji: 4:01pm On Jun 30, 2012
virgo: Ok, yet another "low tech" invention, made for Africa and only for Africans. Thank you Massa.

Hey! I commend the guy, if we Africans thought like this, we would have advanced in terms of technology and economy. These are the things people like Dangote should start looking at. We need to find local solutions to our own problems instead of waiting for the "developed world" to do so for us.

2 Likes

Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by maclatunji: 4:07pm On Jun 30, 2012
maclatunji:

Hey! I commend the guy, if we Africans thought like this, we would have advanced in terms of technology and economy. These are the things people like Dangote should start looking at. We need to find local solutions to our own problems instead of waiting for the "developed world" to do so for us.

To buttress my point, Porsche used to make tractors for farmers, they don't anymore! Start from somewhere and then improve! Most of us want to work for big Multinationals that were started by people just like you, when are we going to create ours? We need our own Toyotas and Hondas- Tunjis and Emekas.
Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by BlackBaron: 4:29pm On Jun 30, 2012
Has it got a safety rating?

2 Likes

Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by virgo(f): 4:31pm On Jun 30, 2012
maclatunji:

To buttress my point, Porsche used to make tractors for farmers, they don't anymore! Start from somewhere and then improve! Most of us want to work for big Multinationals that were started by people just like you, when are we going to create ours? We need our own Toyotas and Hondas- Tunjis and Emekas.

Tunji and Emekas? Nice grin

1 Like

Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by maclatunji: 4:46pm On Jun 30, 2012
virgo:

Tunji and Emekas? Nice grin

Thank you. angry

grin tongue
Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by pato405(m): 4:58pm On Jun 30, 2012
does anyone wonder if they ever come down to Africa to grasp an understanding of 'Africa' before manufacturing whatever contraption they conceptualise or is it just me.

for crying out loud, undergraduates in Africa may know next to nothing but they surely can do better. i'm not a mechanical engineering student but I'm sure with some rubber tubes and steel foil, I can panel beat metals and weld them together, spray it up and have something more presentable. grin

oh! what an insult!

again, if it's for the 'Africa' they idealise, why is it $6000 and not £600 or even $60?

1 Like

Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by gbengaijot(m): 5:00pm On Jun 30, 2012
The biggest critic are people who don't do things themselves.

This guy visited a country, saw a need and built a solution to solve it.

What is it with some people.

If you are uncomfortable with the fact that a white man decides to solve a problem, why not solve it yourself.

This has nothing to do with Colouir or Race. Its just plain business acumen.

If you have any problem with it, go and create solution to a problem yourself.

Afterall, the guy who designed this does not seem to be an engineer.

I wonder what the Engineers, especially in Nigeria are doing with all their PHD, Masters etc

Name titles only with a lack of substance!

1 Like

Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by manny4life(m): 5:06pm On Jun 30, 2012
Don't blame the players, blame the game. The dude came, he saw and finally conquered. cool cool cool He came to to Africa, saw transport complexity and issues, and bad road, and he conquered using this vehicle. Rather than attacking him, attack your government that built poor or even no road. I believe we have to start somewhere.
Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by chijokz(m): 5:18pm On Jun 30, 2012
folowo: 9ja ppl should produce their own now maybe car price will drop. . Our engineer where are you

We already have...Thanks to Innocent Chukwuma..check out www.innosongroup.com/innosonmotors
Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by hannydarl(f): 5:20pm On Jun 30, 2012
If you want masa to create a ground kissing lambougini for africa then tell your pot bellied looting. Child marrying small girls fucking party organizing leaders to create good roads oYinbo man expexTS car to movE around nigerian streets not only in Enugu or on roads close to government houses.
What Do we want fRom whites naw? Shebi we clAim to be. Equal why do we still expect handoutS from them? DeM no help we go complain them help we co complain. Abi dem go help us marry wife, buy bed anD den Bleep am for us ni?

2 Likes

Re: The Low-tech $6,000 Car Made For Africa by texazzpete(m): 5:28pm On Jun 30, 2012
virgo: Ok, yet another "low tech" invention, made for Africa and only for Africans. Thank you Massa.

The tragic thing is, you have no idea how m0r0nic you truly are.

As a poster above said, Someone saw a problem and came forward with a solution. I don't see what brainless dolts like yourself are doing. As it stands, people in his target market are extremely happy with the low cost vehicle.

Sometimes i think attitudes like these are Freudian slips and most likely stem from low self esteem.

pato405: does anyone wonder if they ever come down to Africa to grasp an understanding of 'Africa' before manufacturing whatever contraption they conceptualise or is it just me.

No. What i wonder is which school did you go to and if you can obtain a refund for your deficient 'education'. Even a well honed SS3 student would see the part where the manufacturer says he gets a lot of local interest and inquiries as to where the vehicles can be purchased. Does that not signify and understanding of his target market?

There are a billion and one luxury vehicle showrooms in Africa. You m0r0ns fail to understand that hundreds of millions of Africans cannot afford many of these vehicles...so cheaper and functional alternatives are a boon to the poor populace.

Perhaps you also get angry that cheap chinese phones and $40 Nokia phones are being bought by tens of millions of poor Africans instead of your beloved Blackberries and iPhones?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lexus Rx330 Vs Range Rover Sport / Lamborghini Celebrates Making 8,000th Aventador And 11,000th Huracan / ''Engine Replacement, For Vw Bora''

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.