Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,719 members, 7,862,281 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 01:06 PM

A Foreigners Take On Nigerian Names - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / A Foreigners Take On Nigerian Names (938 Views)

A Foreigners View On Nigeria And Biafra / Heartbreaking Photos : 2015 Xenophobic Attacks On Foreigners In South Africa / Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Foreigners Take On Nigerian Names by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jun 29, 2012
Today at the office I walked into one of my bosses office (an expatriate) and his face was red and visibly unhappy, after greeting him before I could say a thing he asked me this "tell me why do all Nigerians behave exactly opposite of the meaning of their names?" he explained that he has had different two personal drivers sacked with the last 2 years because they were both criminals, and coincidentally they were both named innocent!! I laughed about it but, I have thought about it and yes.
when I was in unilag I knew a guy called innocent and the guy na criminal, I dated a girl called faith and she was the most unfaithful girl I have ever met o... even I have a very troublesome neighbor and guess what? her English name is peace!!!!
have any of you also experienced this Nigeria phenomenon in naming?
as an after thought if someone names a child honesty what will the child become? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: A Foreigners Take On Nigerian Names by london2lasgidi(m): 12:47am On Jul 02, 2012
i
Re: A Foreigners Take On Nigerian Names by edogram1(m): 3:50pm On Jul 04, 2012
In the yoruba culture they first of all check the child destiny and charater before naming. I watch that on tv
Re: A Foreigners Take On Nigerian Names by Zilja(f): 12:36am On Jul 08, 2012
^^^ How so

How can you check a child's character b4 naming them I know it a culture thing but come on.

I have to agree with the poster. I had one African male ask me what did my name mean. He said WE African name our children with a spiritual meaning. That might be so but a lot of them don't live up to that spiritual name.

Help me understand smiley

(1) (Reply)

I Wish To Be A Mod On This Section / Why Do Nairaland Ladies Use Fake Profile Pics? / (pix)id Card And Arms Of The Policer Officer Dat Shot NSCDC Officer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.